PDA

View Full Version : Spring Classes

PepsiCola
05-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey, whos taking spring classes?

I am taking math 211 ( linear algebra) and econ 395. Can someone advice me if this is to much to take for spring?

Also, do tutorials/labs count on the first week of classes if you haven't had any lectures yet?

Nusc
05-13-2009, 12:21 PM
A two course load is normal.
No.

buh_buh
05-13-2009, 12:23 PM
POLI 385
POLI 439

hattonlynch
05-13-2009, 02:25 PM
is 395 econometrics? if so, yeah it could be a little shitty but two classes is generally fine.

XylathaneGTR
05-14-2009, 02:43 AM
Engg407 and Engg393...First time in both courses.

Finished up 4 assignments last night...
woooo

Oh, also...Engg481 in the Summer.

Spoons
05-14-2009, 03:33 AM
Taking ECON 201 and 203 for spring...

Mind you those are both relatively easy classes. Linear Algebra can be a bitch...

dandia89
05-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Spoons
Taking ECON 201 and 203 for spring...

Mind you those are both relatively easy classes. Linear Algebra can be a bitch...
i definitely agree with linear algebra. but i think it's mainly how fast you can pick it up.

Dehvee
05-14-2009, 12:31 PM
COMS 363, ENGG 349, ENGG 407

flipstah
05-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by PepsiCola
Hey, whos taking spring classes?

I am taking math 211 ( linear algebra) and econ 395. Can someone advice me if this is to much to take for spring?

Also, do tutorials/labs count on the first week of classes if you haven't had any lectures yet?

I'm taking 211 as well! I'm kinda worried about Lusala since he got 4/7 on USRI and RateMyProf has been mixed.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and go for it.

Originally posted by hattonlynch
is 395 econometrics? if so, yeah it could be a little shitty but two classes is generally fine.

395 is the intro to econometrics and not Econometrics I (different ballgame.) According to Miles, 395 is basically a rehash of STAT217 so I'm quite excited/bored for that.

As for your initial question, 2 courses are fine. I have had the (un)fortunate experience of taking 3 course in both Spring AND Summer.

It was a lot of work but with proper organization and time management, you'll do phenomenal! :thumbsup:

ScottysZ
05-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
POLI 385
POLI 439

Crazy, me too.

Hakkola
05-16-2009, 11:47 AM
ANTH 303 Business and Culture
GLGY 209
KNES 201
STAS 341

I didn't know you could take 4 courses, but I'm registered in all of them. :dunno:

Gainsbarre
05-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
GLGY 209
KNES 201
STAS 341

I didn't know you could take 4 courses, but I'm registered in all of them. :dunno:

Taking 4 in one semester? :eek:

4 is the limit, but I personally think that any more that 2 in the spring or summer session is somewhat stretching it. In the spring/summer, classes are compressed into half their normal time frame ("normal" being fall/winter session) -- so you could look at taking 3 classes in a spring/summer session as being the equivalent of taking 6 in a fall or winter semester, and 4 as being equivalent to 8 in a fall/winter session.

I made the mistake of taking 3 classes during my first spring semester at the U of C in 2002, and didn't do too well as a result.
Of course, having the World Cup that year in Korea/Japan (with its 16 hour time diference) and catching pretty much every game live didn't help matters much

flipstah
05-16-2009, 05:35 PM
GLGY 209
KNES 201
STAS 341

4 is overkill. You better not have a job or an active social life.

I'm not saying that it's impossible but it'll require A LOT of dedication.

PepsiCola
05-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

4 is overkill. You better not have a job or an active social life.

I'm not saying that it's impossible but it'll require A LOT of dedication.

Hey, there was no class on Thursday for 211 right? Have you started reading at all...because I haven't but maybe I should have.

Hakkola
05-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Hah, yeah I quit my job to concentrate during my last year, I don't really do a whole lot though. :rofl: I have 5 classes left to graduate, and I need to graduate this summer, the four that I'm taking this semester I want to take and aren't available during the summer... It should be alright, they're not the toughest classes.

I guess we'll see how it turns out.

flipstah
05-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Hey, there was no class on Thursday for 211 right? Have you started reading at all...because I haven't but maybe I should have.

Reading what...? I just signed up for the class last Thursday...

Fuck. :banghead:

PepsiCola
05-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Reading what...? I just signed up for the class last Thursday...

Fuck. :banghead:

Haha, no dude, there is nothing to read. I was just wondering if you had bought the book and just started reading on your own to get ahead. Sorry for getting you startled lol.

Disoblige
05-18-2009, 05:00 PM
GLGY 209
KNES 201
STAS 341

Cool, you're in the STAS341 class with Wolfe on Tues/Thurs at 2:00 ? I'm in it too.

rys.mak
05-18-2009, 07:59 PM
ANTH 311
MUHL 309

should be okay i think!

Hakkola
05-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Cool, you're in the STAS341 class with Wolfe on Tues/Thurs at 2:00 ? I'm in it too.

Yeah dude! I was wait listed wed night, didn't know I was in until thurs night so I missed the first class. Were you there?

I can't find the Winston reading.

flipstah
05-18-2009, 10:57 PM

Haha, no dude, there is nothing to read. I was just wondering if you had bought the book and just started reading on your own to get ahead. Sorry for getting you startled lol.

Haha oh not yet. I'm just going to borrow my friend's textbook and just learn from that combined with the teachings. For me, I just use whatever textbook I can get for little to no monetary amount. I save money and I'd still get the help I need if I ask the TA nicely about my question.

Always worked since I believed my prof one day about buying previous editions. Virtually identical.

rixxx
05-18-2009, 11:08 PM

Disoblige
05-19-2009, 12:54 AM

Yeah dude! I was wait listed wed night, didn't know I was in until thurs night so I missed the first class. Were you there?

I can't find the Winston reading.

Yeah I saw you saying you were on waitlist, but then in class I heard that people were signing into the class last minute because the prof was refreshing the page. I thought a Beyonder (you) would be in there. Regarding the reading, maybe it's not uploaded yet? I'm taking it easy with this class; not even worked on the proposal for Thursday yet but I have a solid idea that has to do Nissan.

I sat in the right area of the room. My name is David. I think my group and I (we made groups first class) will also sit in that area again too. Maybe you can join us for the group project. We're a pretty solid group.

flipstah
05-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Hey, what'd you think of 211 earlier? He's fuckin' turbo but he teaches well! Yay!

PepsiCola
05-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Hey, what'd you think of 211 earlier? He's fuckin' turbo but he teaches well! Yay!

It was not bad. Although his English is quite bad, I don't mind it, just as long as I see the numbers on the board. It seems to make sense so far although he sure is going really fast. I think (If i have time) for next class I might just read some of the material so I don't get totally confused in class. Also that first quiz is soon so I gotta start studying a bit for that this weekend. I don't wanna use my one freebie on the first quiz that would be a waste lol.

flipstah
05-23-2009, 12:10 AM

It was not bad. Although his English is quite bad, I don't mind it, just as long as I see the numbers on the board. It seems to make sense so far although he sure is going really fast. I think (If i have time) for next class I might just read some of the material so I don't get totally confused in class. Also that first quiz is soon so I gotta start studying a bit for that this weekend. I don't wanna use my one freebie on the first quiz that would be a waste lol.

Lol true that. It's just like any Math class: Practice. So I gotta hit the books and be able to do these turbo.

Hopefully the quiz won't be that bad. Are you in the Tues or Wed lab?

PepsiCola
05-23-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm in the Tuesday Lab with Michael Douglas or something like that.

flipstah
05-23-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm in the Tuesday Lab with Michael Douglas or something like that.

You're with Doug too? Awesome!

Did you go to the Thursday tutorial? If so, I'm the dude with all the colored pens.

Don't judge me. It makes life simpler :thumbsup:

XylathaneGTR
05-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Shit.

Engg407 final on thursday, Engg393 final report and presentation due friday.
Going to be a busy week here and the weather is so nice :(

dimi
05-24-2009, 02:11 PM
I've got COMS 363, ACCT421. The latter will be a bitch to do in 6 weeks. Would highly recommend doing it in a full semester.