PDA

View Full Version : Breaking 200

403Gemini
10-25-2003, 01:17 AM
I need a goal... its to break 200 in my saturn. I figure if im going to be driving this car for awhile i want to really enjoy it... Any ideas? even if i hit 160-180 ill be fairly happy.

That new saturn ion rally, think ill be able to do an engine swap into my sc2? heh

No flames please, and no posts "just buy a new car" i like projects :D i do realize i will NEVER get back what i put into the car, but when im done with it im sure my dad will enjoy it :) hes tired of driving a mini van around and hes havin a blast with my old integra as it is :)

GTS Jeff
10-25-2003, 01:55 AM
err most people use 1/4 as a test of performance, not top speed. anyhoo go for fi, quick power..

pinoyhero
10-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Might eb tough to get the Saturn up that high, I agree with GTSJeff push for a 1/4 mile goal. Either way make sure you do things safe I wouldn't want to hear about a huge Saturn wreck.

Speed_Dreams
10-25-2003, 11:51 AM
I think...and hope your talking about hp right?

Ben
10-25-2003, 01:14 PM
If you are talking about top speed:

Keep in mind that your cars gearing is what will likely be the limiting factor if you add performance. Saturns were never designed to be a high speed car and so why gear them that way.

Also, very few cars can redline out in their top gear as they just dont have the power to pull to redline in the highest gear.

Top speed to me doesn't mean jack. When do you ever use that ability? hardly ever. All I care about is my accelleration. Most of the time top speed and accelleration is a trade off. Short gears give you the ability to get up to top speed faster, but the top speed is less than taller gears which take more time to go through.

I also dont know of any trannys or replacement gears for the Saturns that bolt up to the stock motor allowing for 'not stock' gearing..

My car has the ability to swap gears from other VW's to lower RPM's in 5th gear for better fuel economy, this would yeild a higher top speed, but would take longer to get there. I like the close ratio, and the hard pull through the 1-2-3 gears. Definatly far more favored than being able to have a huge top speed. What does that do for you? Give you a better ability on a ricer flyby on deerfoot? Buddy blows you away and then you scream past at 200 only to get nailed by a speed trap or lose control.

If you are talking about HP:

200 is a big boost up from your stock level and would requre alot of engine work, definatly Forced Induction. Your best bet is to lower the compression of the motor and turbo the beast. Hey, it would be quite the sleeper, but very expensive. If there IS a motor you can wap with alot more HP than stock, I say do that...THEN Turbo it, haha.

Team_Mclaren
10-25-2003, 08:13 PM
I think import racer had a project saturn... a while back.
I have two issues on it, u can gte some ideas there

Ben
10-26-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Speed_Dreams

Why woul dyou sugest this. You are the new definition of Tool

Tools are useful.

403Gemini
10-26-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Might eb tough to get the Saturn up that high, I agree with GTSJeff push for a 1/4 mile goal. Either way make sure you do things safe I wouldn't want to hear about a huge Saturn wreck.

my goal is 14's or 15's. and i refuse to race my car on the street, like u said not worth the chance of an accident, thx for advice guys

403Gemini
10-26-2003, 09:36 PM
Yea for engine swap ben, im waiting to see if that new rally saturn engine can be swapped ;) hell id save up like $8 grand to do it! it'd be one of a kind hah

rice_eater
10-26-2003, 10:37 PM
you will never hit 200km/h simply because your computer won't let you. It's simply gonna tell you to fuck off and cut the fuel :D I remember seeing in the HCI magazine i think a while back a turbo saturn. That might help with ideas.

403Gemini
10-26-2003, 11:55 PM
i meant 200 hp ;) and you can always get a chip to override that hehe

DonJuan
10-26-2003, 11:55 PM
U need NAWWWSSSSSS!" Oh come on like you didn't see that coming?

Ben
10-27-2003, 12:04 PM
I bet that Saturn Rally motor is worth more than 8 grand.

hjr
10-27-2003, 12:07 PM
ahh he smartened up and isnt doing this anymore. good choice.

ZorroAMG
10-27-2003, 01:06 PM
14's with only 200HP will be tough...good luck :)

jdmakkord
10-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Hmmmmm you went from wanting to do a silvia conversion to a saturn?????? I see the similarities there.......

illeagle
10-27-2003, 08:07 PM
ram air, exhaust, and a chip? take out ALL the ristrictions in that car, there's alot, but your gas milage will suffer,

Ben
10-28-2003, 12:28 AM
Actually Intake, exhaust and most chips IMPROVE gas Milage because the car is running more efficiently without the bottlenecks in the system causing more strain on the motor. I got noticably better fuel milage when I installed my mandrel bent 2.25" Supersprint exhaust over the stock 2" crush bend OEM trash.

403Gemini
10-28-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Hmmmmm you went from wanting to do a silvia conversion to a saturn?????? I see the similarities there.......

lol my loan didnt go through and they put a hold on it, so intead of head aches at the bank my parents are lettin me "finance" their car :)

Dr. Lightspeed
11-03-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by illeagle
ram air, exhaust, and a chip? take out ALL the ristrictions in that car, there's alot, but your gas milage will suffer,

Ummm NO

Wildcat
11-03-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

lol my loan didnt go through and they put a hold on it, so intead of head aches at the bank my parents are lettin me "finance" their car :)

you mean letting you drive it evenings and weekends?

GT2NV
11-03-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

you mean letting you drive it evenings and weekends? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Primer_Drift
11-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater
you will never hit 200km/h simply because your computer won't let you.

Won't hit 200km/h?? Thats odd.. I seem to remember the family sl2 being able to push 190+ no problem.. considering it has the same powerplant as the sc2

Anyways 403Gemini check out http://www.qksltwo.com/home.html they have some info on saturns you might find useful. Beyond inheirent weakness in the casting method of your block you can get decent power out of them with small amounts of boost, I'd look into that if you want to hit 200bhp. There are several kits I have seen for the Sc2s.. also check out http://www.streetdesignauto.com/saturnpage.html for some ideas on what it takes to run 14s in a saturn

rx7_turbo2
11-05-2003, 12:44 AM
:D

Gravy_83
11-19-2003, 11:35 PM
i hit over 190 in my parent's saturn and my friend had a decently fast sc1 or some little 2 door saturn whatever it be called. Either way shouldn't be any flaming I remember seeing a saturn in amag before thought i would laugh but they look decent. sure takes away from all the civics and tegs. allthough i own a civic I still notice that they are everywhere's with god damn fart pipes and intakes.