PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work out at World Health Club (Edgemont?)

Neil4Speed
05-14-2009, 05:28 PM
I was looking to sign up for a membership there for the summers - I work out at U of C during the school year, but was looking for something for the summer. U of C is pretty expensive if you factor in the parking.

The rate that I am getting is $69 a month (No squash/tennis), on a student rate, and its free till June 15. I can freeze it for the school year, but I am committed to 12 months regardless.

Anyone here know if its a good deal? Or can give me something better? I tried getting them to drop the membership at other calgary locations (I would only work out at Edgemont club), but they wouldn't.

Darell_n
05-14-2009, 06:15 PM
My GF works there, so I will ask her tonight what deals can be had.

Neil4Speed
05-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks dude! Its me and a friend that want to join.

ragu
05-14-2009, 06:20 PM
I think that's too much for a gym.
I workout at MRC but wanted something for summer, I got a sick deal on power rack and weights therefore I didnt join a gym for summer.

When I called gyms....
WOW offered me $40.
Golds gym was $45 for a year membership and you can freeze it.
Fitness Plus was $50 for 4 months.

Neil4Speed
05-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by ragu
I think that's too much for a gym.
I workout at MRC but wanted something for summer, I got a sick deal on power rack and weights therefore I didnt join a gym for summer.

When I called gyms....
WOW offered me $40.
Golds gym was $45 for a year membership and you can freeze it.
Fitness Plus was $50 for 4 months.

Yeah I agree, I don't get it, I brought a friend too and it worked out to be $69, where some of my other friends are paying $55 and $64! Thats why I thought there might be some movement.

If anyone can help me out, that would be solid.

Eleanor
05-14-2009, 06:59 PM
There's plenty of free parking within walking distance of the U of C gym :dunno:

Neil4Speed
05-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
There's plenty of free parking within walking distance of the U of C gym :dunno:

Not really, like most places other than the VRRI is a good 15 minute walk to the locker room. Not to sound like a lazy ass, but seriously, I don't want to walk 30 minutes to get into the gym, and then a decent distance to go from the back of the locker room to the gym. It just takes a while and I don't have too much time in the evenings.

Jim Rome99
05-14-2009, 07:27 PM
They want you to pay $99 to sign up and then 84.99 per month, plus GST, plus a $35 processing fee. If you agree to sign up for one full year, the rate becomes $74.99/month +GST and if you agree to a two year term they'll give you $64.99 +GST.

Way too much to work out a gym, I don't use the tennis or squash courts so I don't see why I should have to pay so much. I don't want to work out at any other locations. I don't swim in their crappy pool that is open two months out of the year.

Hook a brother up with a cheaper rate, someone!

$40/month with no sign up or processing fee is reasonable, nothing more.

Neil4Speed
05-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Jim Rome99
They want you to pay $99 to sign up and then 84.99 per month, plus GST, plus a $35 processing fee. If you agree to sign up for one full year, the rate becomes $74.99/month +GST and if you agree to a two year term they'll give you $64.99 +GST.

Way too much to work out a gym, I don't use the tennis or squash courts so I don't see why I should have to pay so much. I don't want to work out at any other locations. I don't swim in their crappy pool that is open two months out of the year.

Hook a brother up with a cheaper rate, someone!

$40/month with no sign up or processing fee is reasonable, nothing more.

I am right there with you man - its like you read my mind... or my post lol

Hopefully I can work something out with them.

TC06
05-14-2009, 09:03 PM
I signed up last year on the 64.99/month before they changed the price to 74.99(which I think is bs). I asked them about competitive rates as well and the answers they gave me were kind of dumb.
- You get towel Service
- You can go to any other WHC in the city but not vice versa
- There's a tennis courts/pool/restaurant/spa there(don't use)

They told me there's NOTHING they can do as for rates, I was kind of disappointed.

If anyone has hookups, let me know! My contract ends in 2 months and I'm willing to resign for something nice!

anhsicun
05-14-2009, 10:42 PM
wat that crazy , i signed up last yr too or maybe less. i pay like 45 / month to month no contract. i can frezze the account anytime but i must leave a 100 deposit and when i reactivte it i get it back. i paid a 100 one time fee. down side is i only can go to the gym i sign up with since i don;t use other WHc gym it reduce my amount by like 10 dollar. i go to the one on 37 street sw.

TC06
05-15-2009, 12:19 AM
The one in Edgemont claims you can use your pass at any other WHC, but if someone else came to the one in Edgemont that isn't originally from there, they can't use the club.

Neil4Speed
05-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I was dealing with Robert at the Edgemont Club, he either did not know the policies, or tried to cheat us.

First he said that we could join, start paying on June 15th $74 a month for three months, then cancel because we were students. Then, someone who works there overheard us and told us that we can freeze but we must pay for 12 months regardless. Then Robert decided to give us the "student" rate which was $69 a month (after telling us that the student rate was the original 74). He also "forgot" to tell us about the $70 freezing fee. We walked out of there - super high pressure, forget it.

Its too bad because the facility is really really nice.

riceboy
05-15-2009, 04:57 PM
And does the 7 day pass for a friend to try out still exists? Cause some fat Adam guy there says it doesn't, I checked the website and the 7 day pass is still there? WTF is up with that?

Jim Rome99
05-15-2009, 05:07 PM
That Rob guy looks like Dwight from The Office.

hattonlynch
05-15-2009, 05:36 PM
wayyyyyyy too fuckin expensive.

i'd reccomend cardel place.....i think it's only 40 bucks for students, that's pretty good in this day and age.

TC06
05-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Cardel's gym is no where on the same level as WHC though.

H4LFY2nR
05-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I was dealing with Robert at the Edgemont Club, he either did not know the policies, or tried to cheat us.

First he said that we could join, start paying on June 15th $74 a month for three months, then cancel because we were students. Then, someone who works there overheard us and told us that we can freeze but we must pay for 12 months regardless. Then Robert decided to give us the "student" rate which was $69 a month (after telling us that the student rate was the original 74). He also "forgot" to tell us about the $70 freezing fee. We walked out of there - super high pressure, forget it.

Its too bad because the facility is really really nice.

:dunno: Unless they changed it he's BSing you, I payed $21 to freeze my membership from Sept to April for school.

I signed up 3yrs ago when it was $50/month which was fine cause it wasn't busy and I liked the towel service . That place has been going downhill for a while. There's way too many people, shits always broken, no towels at busy times, etc, basically all the reasons that I could justify why I was paying so much. Funny story, my buddy and I were bitching about how shitty everything was getting at WHC in the steam room without knowing that the guy beside us was the new owner. He actually thanked us for the opportunity to hear real feedback from members. He claimed he was going to address those problems, but so far it's the same shit but worse.

Right now I can't decide between staying at WHC or paying for UofC...

Jim Rome99
05-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Darell, any word from your girlfriend on this one? Thanks.

BigMass
05-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by H4LFY2nR

:dunno: Unless they changed it he's BSing you, I payed $21 to freeze my membership from Sept to April for school.

I signed up 3yrs ago when it was $50/month which was fine cause it wasn't busy and I liked the towel service . That place has been going downhill for a while. There's way too many people, shits always broken, no towels at busy times, etc, basically all the reasons that I could justify why I was paying so much. Funny story, my buddy and I were bitching about how shitty everything was getting at WHC in the steam room without knowing that the guy beside us was the new owner. He actually thanked us for the opportunity to hear real feedback from members. He claimed he was going to address those problems, but so far it's the same shit but worse.

Right now I can't decide between staying at WHC or paying for UofC...

that place has been in the shitter ever since it went from being a private club called the Edgemont Club to selling out to WHC.

Literally, the day that happened that club went from a nice club to a pile of shit. Not to mention it was one of the nicest tennis clubs in all of Alberta with 5 indoor courts. Now with only 3 courts you can’t even hold a tournament there anymore.

g3tb3nt
05-19-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm in the same boat too, I just moved to Edgemont but find that $69/month is way to expensive . I would join for a lower rate as well. You can add me to see if 3 new memeber would bring in a better rate. I pay 30/month at Golds, but living in Edgemont makes WHC quite a bit more convenient for me.

Darell_n
05-19-2009, 12:24 PM
$69 is as low as possible in Edgemont for an unlimited use membership. This club is more expensive that the other WHC branches due to it being a 'Sport Club' with pool and courts, etc.

Jim Rome99
05-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks Darrell.

You say "unlimited use"......can you find out if is there another, cheaper option that limits your use? That would be fine with me, I only go three times a week or less anyway. Thanks for your help.

Darell_n
05-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Drop in fee is $10-12, can't remember which it is. Monthly or 'pay as you go' ends up at $100 or more, but there is no contract. The only cheap way is like a 3yr contract. They don't seem to give anyone a break. (typical commission job) They also don't offer a partial gym access, it's all or none.

Jim Rome99
05-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks very much for the info. The problem I had is that I was willing to pay the $110 monthly pay as you go plan but the guy would only let me have it for one month and then wanted me to sign a one year contract at minimum. I'm just going to buy the equipment I use at the gym and set it up in my basement, much cheaper over the long run.

Too bad for WHC, they just lost an easy $60 a month from me if they would let me work out twice a week at off-peak times.

Darell_n
05-19-2009, 05:39 PM
You definitely talked to wrong guy.

justinecurrie
07-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Hey World Health Club is a really nice gym but sucks for giving money back. I was in a car accident a month after I purchased the membership and could no longer use it but had to pay out my year long contract. I now have a gift card for WHC that I can never use and it's worth $789.00 That will cover more than a year at their gym. If anyone is interested throw an offer at me. I have no use for it and want to get rid of it. Thanks!