PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining your class 6 in alberta, insurance, gear and more!

Pages : [1] 2

Palmiros
05-15-2009, 12:58 PM
I know when I started looking at getting my motorcycle license, (Class 6) I had several questions in regards to what sort of permits I needed, where to get them, how much they cost, what insurance premiums I would get, where to get gear from and so on. I've since gotten my license, and decided I would make an informative thread on the subject. The information below is gathered from online research and personal experience;

Class 6 requirements / overview
A Class 6 license is required to operate a motorcycle on a public roadway.
When learning to ride a motorcycle, a person must:
* be at least 16 years old
* hold a valid operators license, this can be a Class 7 (learners)
* have an instructor 18 years of age or older with a valid Class 6 non-Graduated Drivers License (GDL) either seated on the bike, following on another motorcycle, or in another motor vehicle.

Probationary riders in the GDL program are subject to the following conditions as well:
* if they hold a Class 7 license, they may not ride at night. (Night time for GDL motorcycle riders is defined as from one hour after sunset or 12:00 midnight, whichever is earlier, and extends until one hour before sunrise or 5 A.M., whichever is later.)
* have a zero alcohol level.
* they will be suspended at 8 demerit points than fully licensed drivers at 15.

1) What do I need to do in order to get a Class 6 license?
Although not required by law, I strongly recommend taking a riding course through a motorcycle school. This will make sure that you are well informed of how a motorcycle operates. Taking a riding course will not only improve your general riding skills, but will also provide (most of the time) better rates once you shop around for insurance. A lower test permit cost may also apply. I personally recommend Too Cool Motorcycle school. Here are a few motorcycle schools in Calgary. I have gone through Too Cool, and they have been excellent!

a) Too Cool Motorcycle School
Phone #: 403-202-0099

Gold Daytime Course - Price: $699.00 + GST - 4.5 Hours Classroom & 23 Hours On Bike - 4:1 Student Instructor ratio with a class maximum of 12 students
Silver Weeknight Course - Price: $599.00 + GST - 4.5 Hours Classroom & 18 Hours On Bike - 4:1 Student Instructor ratio with a class maximum of 12 students
Silver Weekend Course - Price: $599.00 + GST - 4.5 Hours Classroom & 18 Hours On Bike - 4:1 Student Instructor ratio with a class maximum of 12 students
Gold Course Retake - Price: $361.00 + GST - Placed as an 12 student - Please call for more information.
Silver Course Retake - Price: $300.00 + GST - Placed as a 12 student - Please call for more information.
Refresher Course - Course Price: $239.00 + GST - 4.5 Hours of training - 3:1 Student Instructor Ratio (6:00PM to 10:30PM)
Emergency Training Course - Course Price: $219.00 + GST - Courses are Friday Nights from 6PM till 10PM - Please call for more information.

b) Calgary Safety Council
Phone #: 403-287.2990 Fax. 403-243-8565
[email protected]

2014 rates (GST Included)
Week(end) course: $550.00
Week-long course: $490.00
Repeat Course: $250.00
Skills Course: $200.00
Advance Course: $200.00
Scooters Training: $250.00
Practice Course $200.00
Private Lessons $750.00

This school also offers ladies only courses, for groups of 5 or more, at a cost of $550 (available weekday evenings only).
They also offer a $50 discount to full time students, with proof of enrollment.

2) Knowledge test (required by law)
This is a knowledge test for the Class 6 license. Please NOTE: this is NOT a license, it is simply the knowledge/written section of OBTAINING your motorcycle license.The questions are based on this (http://transportation.alberta.ca/844.htm) handbook and the Basic License Drivers Handbook; they test ones knowledge of safe-driving practices, rules of the road, traffic control signs and signals as they relate to motorcycles. The test consists of 30 questions; you must get 25/30 correct in order to pass. Once passed, you will obtain a "Knowledge Test Permit", which is valid 1 year from the day you obtained it. This permit is necessary in order to be able to purchase your road test permit. (below)

A fee of $17.60 is charged for each knowledge test taken.

3) Road test (required by law)
Once you've obtained your KNOWLEDGE TEST PERMIT (explained above), you will need to purchase a ROAD TEST PERMIT, from any local registry. The Class 6 operator's license road test is done in a traffic environment. The road test is done at a registry agent office or at an approved motorcycle school. Tests at motorcycle schools will be available for students who have completed an authorized training course. Too Cool offers all graduating students free use of their motorcycles for the road test (at their location by the Stadium). This is a huge advantage, as I have learned myself, should you not have a way of getting your bike to the testing location (you have to have someone with a class 6 ride/drive alongside/behind you) or do not own a bike.

All Class 6 road tests are scheduled by registry agents, who will arrange for driver examiners to do the tests (regardless of where the test takes place). The road test cost varies; For example, I've taken my training course through Too Cool and paid $105 for my road test permit, as opposed to ~$140 (depending on registry) for regular road test permits.

Driver examiners will assess the rider's "road-readiness" before entering into traffic. The driver examiner will ensure the motorcycle is mechanically safe before the test. If it is not mechanically safe, the driver examiner will not do the test. Please ensure you have your KNOWLEDGE permit, ROAD TEST permit and drivers license on you at the time of your test; otherwise you will not be allowed to take it.

Instructions will be given to the rider prior to the road test. The rider will also receive instructions in advance of each maneuver and during the test, by use of a one-way radio. This is fairly straight forward, before beginning the test they will give you a one way radio (headphone) to place on your ear, under the helmet. During the test the instructor will update you with his/her requirements. You do not have to/cannot talk to the instructor through the radio during the test.

The test takes 45 to 55 minutes and involves driving in residential areas/roadways. Many people seem to be concerned about tips & tricks to pass the test. Simply put, there are none. The trick is to display road readiness, by:
- being in control of the motorcycle (try not to stall it)
- stopping fully at stop signs
- signaling (don't forget to cancel the signal)
- yielding (don't stop, unless necessary)
- when changing lanes (signal, shoulder check, switch lane, CANCEL SIGNAL)
- constantly check your mirrors, move your head, be obvious about it.
- when passing through residential zones with UNCONTROLLED intersections, slow down, acknowledge intersections by looking into them, both ways before going through.
- proper merging
- obeying the speed limit (do the speed limit, do NOT speed with traffic)
- pay attention to school/playground zones (are they in effect? if so, slow down and vice versa.)
- keep a dominant road position (closest to the road marker/ lane divider, of course varies on road conditions)

Depending on the errors you make, you may get dinged 10 points (on most I believe). For example; you forgot to cancel your signal, you realize it later, you cancel it. You just lost 10 points. Even though you're allowed to "accumulate" 75 points before failing, keep in mind that you cannot acquire more than 30 points (3 fails) from any one task. For example, I mentioned above, you'd lose 10 points for forgetting to cancel your signal, should you do this 3 times, you would fail. Some events may lead to an automatic fail; ex:dropping the bike.

That's all there is to it!

4) Insurance
Insurance is always an interesting topic, due to the variety of variables involved. Your rates will be determined by your age, your type of motorcycle (sport bikes have higher premiums) your riding experience, your driving record, and whether or not you have taken a riding course.
The best way to determine what your rate will be, is to call the insurance company/broker of your choice and inquire about it. Personally, I've obtained the best rate through Chuck Saunders from Bearspaw Insurance (broker). You DO NOT need your class 6 in order to be able to insure a motorcycle. You do however need to insure a motorcycle before you'll be able to get it registered through the registry. The reason some people (without Class 6) may be turned down by insurance companies, has nothing to do with the legality of the situation itself, it's exclusively the company's policies. An example of this would be riding on the street (without a class 6) with someone that has a class 6 license. If you are turned down initially, try explaining the situation (as described above) or try a different company.
Here are a few contacts:

Bearspaw Insurance (Broker)
Deals with: Nordic Insurance, Jevco & ING
CHUCK SAUNDERS
Direct: (403) 247-7345
Fax: (403) 247-7364
[email protected][/email]

Blue Circle Insurance
http://www.blue-circle.ca/
(403) 770-9999

State Farm Insurance
http://www.StateFarm.ca
Agents are area specific, check website.

5) Gear/Mods/Parts/Equipment
Once you've gone through the above steps, you will most likely be looking to purchase riding gear, mods and what not. As much as I would personally love to just go down to my local store and buy everything locally, sometimes the price difference (as compared to online) makes you decide against it. Below I've listed a few stores (online) and local, that will be able to provide you with quality gear, at fair prices. (in order of preference)

Bayside Performance (Vancouver BC, Canadian based)
offers a variety of accessories, gear & parts for most of your needs. The reason this is #1 on my list, is due to the fair prices & Canadian origin (meaning no outrageous shipping & handling fees, no duty and faster shipping)
http://www.baysideperformance.ca/

Walt Healy Motorsports (Calgary, AB, local)
Offers a variety of motorcycles, gear, and parts, at local prices.
(403) 250-8630
http://www.walthealy.com/

Motorcycle Gear.com - formerly known as "New Enough" (US based)
Provides a wide variety of gear, accessories and parts. US based, beware of shipping & handling costs, customs duties, $US/$CDN conversion rate and shipping time.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Knee Draggers (US based)
Provides a wide variety of gear, accessories and parts. US based, beware of shipping & handling costs, customs duties, $US/$CDN conversion rate and shipping time. Includes free shipping within the US.
http://www.kneedraggers.com/

MotoMummy (US based)
Provides a wide variety of gear, accessories and parts. US based, beware of shipping & handling costs, customs duties, $US/$CDN conversion rate and shipping time. Includes free shipping within the US.
http://www.motomummy.com/

6) Registries - for more details on registries click here (http://www.servicealberta.ca/1641.cfm?faction=SearchResults4&agenttype=4&Name=&city=Calgary)

Once you've successfully completed the road test, continue to being reclassed.
Reclassing means you will have to visit a registry near you in order to add Class 6 on to your license. Reclassing cost is $22.45.

I hope this post will turn out to be helpful for some people.
All the information expressed here is information I've gathered through online research and personal experiences. Feel free to post questions/comments/corrections, and I will make appropriate changes to the original post.

Best of luck!

References:
Service Alberta - http://www.servicealberta.ca/drivers_licence.cfm#Class_6_Licence
Alberta transportation - http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/4582.htm
Shawnessy Registy - http://www.shawnessyregistry.com/pricing/

Created: May 15th, 2009
Updated: May 16th, 2009
Updated: August 6th, 2014

Palmiros
05-15-2009, 01:02 PM
-Spare-

japan_us
05-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Awesome! :thumbsup:

Someone should make this a sticky, or notice, or whatever you call it. I'm sure that it will answer a lot of questions that seem to come up every couple weeks.

Khalil.e
05-15-2009, 03:17 PM
:werd: Great post.

Maybe someone can clarify whether or not you need your class 6 to obtain insurance/registration on your bike - and if that has changed recently.

I was able to both insure and register my bike prior to taking any bike classes, and/or having my class 6, however, the other day I was speaking with someone else and they were unable to obtain insurance due to them not having a class 6 (as stated by them).

Not sure whats going on with that...

96integra
05-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Nice write up! Would've been easier if I saw this sooner.

So if I have my class 6 but am still on GDL, I can't ride one hour after sunset or after midnight? Gay.

Palmiros
05-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Khalil.e
:werd: Great post.

Maybe someone can clarify whether or not you need your class 6 to obtain insurance/registration on your bike - and if that has changed recently.

I was able to both insure and register my bike prior to taking any bike classes, and/or having my class 6, however, the other day I was speaking with someone else and they were unable to obtain insurance due to them not having a class 6 (as stated by them).

Not sure whats going on with that...

You don't need your class 6 in order to be able to insure a motorcycle. You do however need to insure a motorcycle before you'll be able to get it registered through registries.
It depends on your insurance company as to whether or not they will insure your bike before you get your class 6; some care, some don't. I had no problems with mine (only request they had, was to get my class 6 in a reasonable time frame). Look at it this way, you don't need a class 6 in order to be able to ride on the street legally, while riding with someone that has a class 6 of course.
Thanks for the question, I'll add it to the original post.

japan_us
05-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by 96integra

So if I have my class 6 but am still on GDL, I can't ride one hour after sunset or after midnight? Gay.

The night time rule only applies if you're Class 7 GDL.

However, you're still bound to the zero alcohol and 8 demerit thing.

Palmiros
05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 96integra

Well, I don't think you could have seen this any sooner, I just wrote it today :bigpimp:

Updated initial post; will be adding registries soon.

adidas
05-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Good write up! :thumbsup:

Palmiros
05-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by adidas
Good write up! :thumbsup:

Thanks! Just added the added registry information.

96integra
05-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Palmiros

Well, I don't think you could have seen this any sooner, I just wrote it today :bigpimp:

Updated initial post; will be adding registries soon.

*Wish I knew it sooner.

Country Hills Plates also offers the road test through Too Cool...

pf0sh0
05-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Nice work, informative for those starting up! :thumbsup:

dannie
05-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Great Post!!!

Palmiros
05-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Updated, thanks Dannie.

kevie88
05-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Beauty post! stuck.

Eleanor
07-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Great post :thumbsup:

Hopefully people read it :rofl:

TYMSMNY
07-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Just dealt with Chuck at Bearspaw Insurance. Great insurance broker to work with, gave me all the options with prices. Quick call backs and definitely will recommend! :thumbsup:

CHUCK SAUNDERS
Direct: (403) 247-7348
Cell: (403) 471-1145

Palmiros
07-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Just dealt with Chuck at Bearspaw Insurance. Great insurance broker to work with, gave me all the options with prices. Quick call backs and definitely will recommend! :thumbsup:

CHUCK SAUNDERS
Direct: (403) 247-7348
Cell: (403) 471-1145

:thumbsup: Glad to hear. I went with him as well and got excellent service, thus listed as my first choice in the insurance column. :bigpimp:

shizzay
10-01-2009, 04:08 PM
apparently there is an insurance company which will insure bikes without a class 6 operators license required of the owner... i can't remember which company it is... not sure how good of an idea this is because all my friends that recently got bikes have decided to rip around without optaining their class 6... :S

shizzay
10-01-2009, 04:09 PM
if anyone wants the name of the insurance company i could find it out for them... just pm me.

ryder_23
10-01-2009, 06:47 PM
The 3 companys I contacted when looking, all would insure me without a class 6. Not that big of a deal

cdnsir
03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
So does the classroom course component actually help with the knowledge test? I'm wondering if i should get the knowledge test done ahead of time or not.

rx7girlie
06-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Avoid basyside performance like the plague. If anything goes wrong with your order, they won't fix it. I recommend Blue Streak Racing.

swak
09-10-2010, 02:43 PM
As an update to the thread...

I just recently finished at 'Too Cool Motorcycle School', and have to say it was an AMAZING class. Instructors are awesome, keep you interested and you learn a lot. Don't know how its possible to ride without a course (there's sooo much to learn).

Just got my written test done today at the registry, and just have the road test left to do.

Seems like a very intimidating process before you go for it, but the whole process to getting my class 6 has been really smooth once you get going.

Looking forward to getting a bike over the winter and start riding early next spring.

:clap: :clap:

Grogador
09-10-2010, 03:27 PM
I took my course months ago with FSI because they were the only ones with space available. I tried to get into Too Cool, but it seems you have to book now for next season! I'll be doing that for my refresher.

Anyway, FSI was ok. The course portion was dull (I think that's kinda standard? still feels like it could use improvement) and the classroom instructor was adequate. Their lot is out by the airport/Westwinds c-train. It's not huge but has some elevation changes and enough room to set up a decent "street course". They have a good amount of newer bikes to choose from, like the CBR125, a few slightly larger 250 yammy/kawi sportsbike, Hyosung cruiser (probably 250) and some red dirtbikes. There was around a dozen people in the class (maybe 15) and two instructors to start for the boring stuff. A third instructor arrived once we got into the tighter courses and maneuvering. The lot instructors were fun, personable and decent teachers. There was enough helmets, motorcycles and cones for everyone! Two girls "dropped" the class (and one bike) due to health or personal reasons (husband made her do it; she preferred the bitch seat). The road ride was safe, fun and well coordinated by our lead and sweep. After a couple hours, most of us wanted to go again, unfortunately on the second road ride we got caught out in some minor hail. Not a fun ride back, but still enjoyable overall.

Some info to add:
- you DO NOT need a completed written test, or a roadtest permit, nor a class 6 just to take your riding safety course! Having a class 7 or 5 is enough, and don't forget to bring it for the road ride.
- double-check with your course that you can use their bikes to take your class 6 roadtest. I guess this is moot if you already have a bike.
- try to ride every bike your course has. I started on the Hyosung pig which wasn't fun, but it was good to experience a heavier, sluggish bike, different clutch, brakes, etc. before hopping onto the awesomely nimble and surprisingly not-slow-ish CBR125.
- don't grab the biggest CC bike they have just to be a big man, go by fit and feel! It will be easier and you will have a lot more fun. In the end, the cruiser riders stuck to the cruisers, the tall guys took the bigger 250s and most people were screamin on the CBRs. The dirtbikes stayed in the shed :)

Oh and nice use of colors in your post :D

c) Fleet Safety International
Phone #: 403-283-0077

swak
09-15-2010, 09:14 PM
GOT MY CLASS 6 TODAY!!!!

So stoked... Now in the bike market.
To be honest though, test wasn't that bad.

Guy who took the test before me said he failed, from there i got a little nervous. But jumped on the bike and it wasn't that bad. Had a hill start, stop signs, yields, uncontrolled intersections, etc....
But in the end he dinged me twice (10pts ea) for showing poor balance which is kind-of insulting since im a licensed bike racer.....
But whatever, passed, got the 56...

Palmiros
09-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by swak
GOT MY CLASS 6 TODAY!!!!

So stoked... Now in the bike market.
To be honest though, test wasn't that bad.

Guy who took the test before me said he failed, from there i got a little nervous. But jumped on the bike and it wasn't that bad. Had a hill start, stop signs, yields, uncontrolled intersections, etc....
But in the end he dinged me twice (10pts ea) for showing poor balance which is kind-of insulting since im a licensed bike racer.....
But whatever, passed, got the 56...

Congrats! Did this thread provide any usable tips/anything in the thread that needs to be updated?

swak
09-15-2010, 10:13 PM

Congrats! Did this thread provide any usable tips/anything in the thread that needs to be updated?

To be honest, this thread did help a lot.

I referred to it every step of the way, and will likely be using the reference list of insurers.

Nothing but good work from your part on this thread palmiros.
Thanks for everything!

.... and to the new riders looking to get into biking, GO TO TOO COOL!

Merritt
08-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Thought I'd throw this out there.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3114/1312249474032.gif

Euro_Trash
08-03-2011, 11:34 AM
I just took a course through Stampede Driving School with some buddies - it was a decent enough course, got lots of riding time. By the end I felt very comfortable riding (on the little 125's) and just received my class 6 on the weekend. The only issue was booking the test - if you take the course through Stampede just make sure you book your road test WELL in advance if you want to take it right after the course.

bleu
04-22-2012, 09:09 AM
This was a super helpful thread! I am just starting and it answered a lot of my questions. Thanks!

Jim C
05-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Hey folks, haven't done the course, but looking to do my Road Test this week.
I know this thread had a few tips... I was just wondering if i could get anymore.

I know i would fail a car test if I had to do one, what with remembering how to do an emergency stop and all that crap...

I just dont want to have missed out on any important steps or procedures that I might have learned in the course.

Or am I simply gonna be riding around safely, checking my mirrors, shoulder checking, and passing the test haha?

Jimmy

ddduke
05-04-2012, 10:43 PM
If you can hill start, signal/cancel signal, shoulder check, drive the speed limit (not too slow), understand uncontrolled intersections, turn properly, keep to left side of lane and merge onto the highway properly then you'll pass.

If you know how to ride a bike and are experienced then you should be good. If you're just learning and aren't too experienced then the course may be a good idea.

I personally didn't take the course, passed with 100% first try, but I also first learned how to ride a bike when I was 10 and by the time I was 13/14 I was already driving a moped and ysr on public roads with no insurance or license.

max_boost
07-18-2012, 11:08 AM
My first post ever in the bike section. Letting you all know, the Bully is going to get his license and join the crew! :burnout: :eek:

Going to read the rest of this thread now. :D

Mibz
07-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Aw shit, you saw that Porsche made a bike, noticed some extra room on the HELOC and had to jump on it, right?

ercchry
07-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Aw shit, you saw that Porsche made a bike, noticed some extra room on the HELOC and had to jump on it, right?

probably just another venue for him to try and pick up chicks... wonder if he knows that all he needs for that is the jacket and helmet... :rofl:

Mibz
07-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
probably just another venue for him to try and pick up chicks... wonder if he knows that all he needs for that is the jacket and helmet... :rofl: I got a thumbs up from an Asian chick and a couple rear-view stares in your hood while riding around in a v-neck with my chest hair showing. I was a gold chain away from WOP Prime but the ladies love a man on a bike :P

Lucky for me, nobody can see my face.

ercchry
07-18-2012, 11:33 AM
yeah i had a car load of young girls that wouldnt stop waving at me in traffic till i waved back on mcleod the other week... good times :bigpimp:

max_boost
07-18-2012, 12:09 PM
HAHA! Trolls!

This will be good. I hope I can get in with Too Cool. :burnout:

Accord_tunerx
07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Hey max what week do you got for too cool?

max_boost
07-18-2012, 02:56 PM
There's 1 spot left on Aug 14/15/16 9am to 5pm but there are several in the 21/22/23 9am to 5pm class so I'm trying to see how serious some friends are.

Accord_tunerx
07-18-2012, 08:21 PM
I see, lol i got 7 8 9 of Aug

max_boost
08-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Well you might as well scratch me off the Beyond rider gang. I went out for Too Cool, nice instructors, but did not enjoy myself at all. No idea what I was expecting, just wanted to give it a try. Perhaps riding is just not my calling.

Mibz
08-14-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm genuinely surprised, but now you know!

max_boost
08-14-2012, 07:16 PM
So now I have an $800 dollar Arai helmet and $200 Dainese gloves for sale. PM me.

Accepting lowball offers. Used for 1 day. Purchased this past weekend. :rofl: :banghead:

I feel like such a failure in life. Gonna go play badminton now, something I'm at least decent in. :facepalm: :cry:

Graham_A_M
08-14-2012, 07:22 PM
^ Dude, how the hell CAN you enjoy yourself at that school? its meant to show absolute n00bs the ropes as to how to ride and what not. I've been riding for 9 years before taking that course at 15, and I didn't enjoy it either. (I got a free advanced course since I sold them a mini-sportbike that I had outgrown, which was what they wanted in their advanced course). If you have a bike, why not go riding with me for a bit? I've shown probably two dozen people how to ride over the years.
I can assure you'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more without that instructor Dave (if its still him) breathing down your back.
At least give it a second go, and a proper one before handing in your keys and whatnot.

NCS05
08-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Is there a specific reason you didn't enjoy it? Was it the riding itself? Or the bikes? Or are you afraid of leaning? Or the instructors?

Disoblige
08-14-2012, 07:31 PM
What's up max_boost? I was looking forward to see you on a bike.

Bike's just not for you kinda thing? You can't expect to be an expert on day 1 of riding.

bleu
08-15-2012, 01:38 AM
Learning to ride was one of the most humbling experiences I have had to date. Thankfully I learned with my boyfriend who has been riding for 15+ years. I was reluctant to go to the Too Cool b/c I am shy and even worse when I have no idea what I'm doing. He was super patient with me and over the course of a month I learned little by little at my own pace. In the beginning I wanted to give up too, so I took off about two weeks before I did it again and since then I have never looked back. We go riding nearly every evening together. I am sad that this is most likely my one and only riding season as we are planning a family and I'm not allowed to ride then. :(

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Just went through this entire process. Decided some time mid june that I wanted to finally go through with it after putting it off for years. Called into Too cool around mid june, and I've been riding my bike since last weekend.

Too cool -> Knowledge test -> Road test -> Reclassify.
Buy gear -> Buy bike -> Insure/register bike -> Ride!

Mibz
08-15-2012, 07:51 AM
I just wrote 6 unnecessary paragraphs :P

Bottom line, I was thoroughly humbled and intimidated during the course and for my first few days of riding, even with a class 6 and my own bike, but sticking with it is one of the best things I've ever done.

max_boost
08-15-2012, 08:39 AM
I'll just put this one on hold. I'll be back (maybe).

Accord_tunerx
08-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Lol what size gloves? And helmet
I love riding it the best thing ever happened

tinfoildork
08-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Meet tonight!

Time: 6 pm
Reason: Meet, greet and ride around town!

Disoblige
08-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by tinfoildork
Meet tonight!

Time: 6 pm
Reason: Meet, greet and ride around town!
Yeah you can stop spamming now.

guessboi
08-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I'll just put this one on hold. I'll be back (maybe).

max is busy with something else now...No time for bike. ;)

Graham_A_M
08-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Yeah you can stop spamming now.
He's not a spammer, he just really doesn't post much.

Sam, I'm assuming your a small or a medium helmet size?
If I were you, I DEFINITELY would give riding another go, but in the event you're so soured by it that you never want to ride again, I may be interested in some of your gear.

Disoblige
08-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

He's not a spammer, he just really doesn't post much.

Unnecessary to copy and paste in 3 threads about a meet tonight. Found it annoying is all.

max_boost
08-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Yea I'll hold on to my gloves and helmet for now. The helmet will be handy later on if I decide to track my car or go kart etc. or just walk around 17th ave with it :rofl:

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-15-2012, 04:07 PM
So now I have an $800 dollar Arai helmet and $200 Dainese gloves for sale. PM me.

Accepting lowball offers. Used for 1 day. Purchased this past weekend. :rofl: :banghead:

I feel like such a failure in life. Gonna go play badminton now, something I'm at least decent in. :facepalm: :cry:

I missed this, I'm curious as to what happened. I took the evening course from July 23-26, and it was awesome.

We had Trevor, Renee and Jordan.

Day 1 - Sit you on a bike, push you down a hill, start/stopping.
Day 2 - Slaloms and slow speed turns
Day 3 - Emergency braking and collision avoidance
Day 4 - My personal fav, the road ride.

Feel free to PM me what happened, I can keep quiet, I'm really sad that you feel this way.

ercchry
08-15-2012, 04:36 PM
... or just walk around 17th ave with it :rofl:

that was my idea for you :rofl:

but seriously... i think you could enjoy riding in a different environment.

for me i learned from a buddy in a parking lot how to ride really damn slow without falling off, do circles, etc. then just putting around 50km/h streets... then 80km/h roads (first time shoulder checking at 80km/h i almost pissed myself)

then a week later it was more like "i wonder what speed redline is in 3rd gear on this 750cc super bike" :rofl:

but yeah. if you want to practice on a nice beginner bike in a parking lot this weekend. i'd meet you somewhere with my bike. super forgiving bike, really easy to control.

Graham_A_M
08-15-2012, 04:48 PM
^ Thats a great way to do it. What bike do you have?

To Sam: with Too cool, and a crowd watching you it can kill the fun aspect pretty quick. Not only that but putting around pylons in a parking lot is a good way to get the hang of it, but foolish to think thats anything like typical riding on the street.

After you get the hang of it and really feel comfortable, being able to lean well into cloverleafs and sometimes put your knee down is hella fun. :D

ercchry
08-15-2012, 05:18 PM
its just a little baby buell blast. scratch this weekend though. im not even here :rofl:

but your shop isnt too far from me, so if you want to we can figure out a time during the week or the weekend after next i should be around

jdmXSI
08-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Personally before riding, I read all the horror stories about people crashing and I was really apprehensive on riding. But after I took a riding course and put on a couple thousand kms, im am quite happy I persued it! I find it has made me more alert and a better driver in a car. I can definately see how it isnt for everyone though.

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-15-2012, 07:45 PM
My dad managed to lay down his bike a week before my course, and broke his shoulder. Awesome.

Disoblige
08-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
My dad managed to lay down his bike a week before my course, and broke his shoulder. Awesome.
It can happen, particular in cases when you least expect it. Sorry to hear. Stay alert out there boys and girls.

Graham_A_M
08-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Personally before riding, I read all the horror stories about people crashing and I was really apprehensive on riding. But after I took a riding course and put on a couple thousand kms, im am quite happy I persued it! I find it has made me more alert and a better driver in a car. I can definately see how it isnt for everyone though.
Hey B-unit, still happy with the Ninja 250? or are you thinking of upgrading to a typical 600 at all any time soon?

Originally posted by ercchry
its just a little baby buell blast. scratch this weekend though. im not even here :rofl:

but your shop isnt too far from me, so if you want to we can figure out a time during the week or the weekend after next i should be around
Sure man, I'll send you a PM sometime this month, we can swap bikes for a run or whatever.
:thumbsup:

ercchry
08-15-2012, 10:28 PM
i was talking about Sam's shop... haha but yeah if you want to do the teaching thing, cool... im not a good teacher

Graham_A_M
08-16-2012, 03:31 PM
^ Ah gotcha. It doesn't matter about that "teaching" thing, I dont really care, what ever Sam wants to do. :dunno:

NCS05
08-16-2012, 06:07 PM
I'll trade bikes with all of you :D because no one wants to ride mine lol

Graham_A_M
08-17-2012, 04:58 PM
^ What do you ride again?

NCS05
08-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Sv650 :D

idriveabox
08-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by NCS05
Sv650 :D

How you like it? I'm a bike newb looking to get into it next year. Is this a bad choice or should I go typical 250?

Graham_A_M
08-17-2012, 08:11 PM
^ Its an excellent choice. Very stable bike, good to learn on and you wont find it lacking power, whereas you'd HAVE to upgrade after a while. Like a 250 (to most) or god forbid a CBR125.

The cool part is, there are lots of race sanctions that have a special SV cup, so its great to learn how to be fast on at the track doing track days to start with. Of course later if you feel very comfortable on it, you can race it in those said SV cups. (For what its worth, just so you know. 99% of riders dont race, even 90%+ of sportbike riders dont do track days.)

NCS05
08-17-2012, 08:28 PM
I actually love the sv650. A friend of mine got a 250 as her first bike and I ride it quite often when she had it. With that said, I don't regret buying the Sv at all. Very linear powerband with enough to keep you entertained. Can't say anything about the handling well because it's my first bike and I haven't ridden a Supersport bike lol. The ninja is a fun bike when youre turning and not going in a straight line

I have been looking at track days but only track is up in Edmonton. Not willing to ride it up there in case i dont have a ride back. Maybe one day when Calgary has one

adamc
04-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Guys, is there any way to rent a bike somewhere to take the knowledge test WITHOUT enrolling in a school?

(edit: meant to say practical, not knowledge)

I rode for a couple years in BC and a fair bit in other countries (*cough* illegally), now I want to reclassify and obtain my class 6 here in Alberta. My bike is in the states and I'd like to take the test before I'll have it back in Canada.

I'll take MSF this summer, because there are definitely gaps in my knowledge, and I absolutely see the value in professional instruction.

Anyone know of a method to obtain a bike for testing right now?

MustangSVT
04-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by adamc
Guys, is there any way to rent a bike somewhere to take the knowledge test WITHOUT enrolling in a school?

I rode for a couple years in BC and a fair bit in other countries (*cough* illegally), now I want to reclassify and obtain my class 6 here in Alberta. My bike is in the states and I'd like to take the test before I'll have it back in Canada.

I'll take MSF this summer, because there are definitely gaps in my knowledge, and I absolutely see the value in professional instruction.

Anyone know of a method to obtain a bike for testing right now?
Most registries offer a rental bike for your road test (30-45 min long). To take the knowledge test, you don't need a bike, you only need one for the road test.

adamc
04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks, edited, meant to say "practical" or "road" rather than knowledge. Just went in and did the knowledge portion last week.

As a follow up; any registries that you guys can recommend that might also provide bike rental?

Thanks

SkiBum5.0
04-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Mojos registry has a partnership with Too Cool and I think they have a Ninja 250.

TL911
04-16-2013, 04:08 PM
:D thanks! I am looking to get my Class 6 soon

kenifilis
05-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Depending on the errors you make, you may get dinged 10 points (on most I believe). For example; you forgot to cancel your signal, you realize it later, you cancel it. You just lost 10 points. Even though you're allowed to "accumulate" 75 points before failing, keep in mind that you cannot acquire more than 30 points (3 fails) from any one task. For example, I mentioned above, you'd lose 10 points for forgetting to cancel your signal, should you do this 3 times, you would fail. Some events may lead to an automatic fail; ex:dropping the bike.

Just like to add a correction to the initial post.

You can acquire 30 points for certain tasks which will not automatically result in you failing the test depending on what the task is.
The only time it will result in a fail is if the task corresponds to one of the tasks under "Road Test Disqualifications"

ie. if you get 30 points off for riding too slow you can also be given a disqualification for obstructing traffic.

on the other hand, you can get 30 points off for improper use of clutch if you coast to a stop a few times but this does not directly correspond to one of the automatic fails.

Source: I just passed with 30 points off for coasting. (that was the only point deduction during my test)

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-19-2013, 08:21 PM
I passed with 30 points for going too slow. One more time and I would have failed.

kenifilis
05-19-2013, 09:00 PM
The thing that screwed me up the first time I took my test, I failed for going too slow.
The reason I was going so slow in the first place was because I though that 1km/h over the limit was an automatic fail since it's technically illegal.

My speedo was also reading 6km/h fast but either way I was going slow on purpose.
I wish the tester would have told me ahead of time that if you go a few kms/h over the limit you won't auto fail or have points deducted.

It really pissed me off, because even the testing sheet reads:

Road Test Disqualifications
5. Speeding violation

on the back where it explains in detail Section D
it says:
The speed limit was exceeded.

This does NOT say the speed limit was exceeded by more than 5kms/h or some other fog like that, it is very specific.
The letter of the law would state that 51 would be an automatic fail during the test. This was why I was pussy footing the first go around and it cost me $120

This is odd because my tester was a complete Nazi about every little thing so it seems strange that he would be okay with speeding a few kms/h but auto fail for going too slow.

firebane
05-19-2013, 09:43 PM
What are the thoughts and rules for the road test about foot placement? I had my class 6 in BC and they were adamant about when you stopped to keep your foot ready with the clutch and leave your right foot on the ground.

For me this is highly uncomfortable and I am more comfortable placing both feet on the ground.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by firebane
What are the thoughts and rules for the road test about foot placement? I had my class 6 in BC and they were adamant about when you stopped to keep your foot ready with the clutch and leave your right foot on the ground.

For me this is highly uncomfortable and I am more comfortable placing both feet on the ground.

It's the opposite. You're supposed to be sitting in first, left foot on the ground, right foot on the rear brake.

I was told if you put both feet down, it's an instant fail. Not sure if that's true or not. I was also told this is called the "ready" position, so you can take off if you're about to be rear ended.

kenifilis
05-20-2013, 01:27 AM
I specifically asked my tester this the other day and he said he wants to see the left foot down, right on the brake in first but he said if you put two feet down he is not going to deduct marks.

Do it the way they prefer for the test and ask before to see how picky the tester is about it, everyone is different.

I don't doubt there are testers out there that are dicks and would dock points for putting two feet down but for most people it's not a big deal. You just have to show that you have good balance.

AG_Styles
05-20-2013, 05:44 AM
I was taught to have the left foot down and right foot on the brake. A lot of people in Calgary seem to be taught that way. However, there seems to be a big variance with that as other regions/countries, you see people do the exact opposite.

But sure fire way to pass, keep only 1 foot down and not both.

beyond_ban
04-14-2014, 08:50 PM
BUMP

Does anyone know the name of the school that i always see leaving Creekside? I live close by and I am gaining interest in getting my class 6.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
BUMP

Does anyone know the name of the school that i always see leaving Creekside? I live close by and I am gaining interest in getting my class 6.

That's Too Cool. I live in Evanston, and took the course. When they do the end of the course ride (Thursdays and Sundays) they stop off at the coffee place next to the coop...

beyond_ban
04-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

codetrap
04-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Just got an email today..

http://www.bikerleathers.ca

20% OFF All Leathers Sale!
1 week only!

Use Promo Code 20OFF at checkout to get 20% off all leather jackets, vests, chaps, pants and gloves. One week only! Sale ends May 5th 2014.

bbbc
05-09-2014, 06:15 PM
How much of this applies if you use a scooter for the test?

Palmiros
08-06-2014, 03:35 AM
Updated original post. :burnout:

dannie
08-06-2014, 09:54 AM
One other thing to note.... Too Cool, when you do the test thru them, the fee at the registry is the same as going thru Too Cool. They've no longer got a break in fees.

Also, we've had a number of people lose their written test permit and occasionally the road. DO NOT lose those. You lose either portion, you will re-do the written exam or road test, whichever one you've lost. So, keep them very safe

Zero102
08-06-2014, 02:23 PM
I just took the course through too cool last weekend, hit up the registry yesterday to do my written and I am booked in for a road text on the 13th.

I had never ridden a motorcycle though I do often commute on my bicycle so I've got lots of time on 2 wheels and I've been driving on 4 wheels for 16 years. Should I be worried about the test? The consensus seems to be that it is really easy but I see so many people fail it's kind of psyching me out.

During my time a too cool I have not forgotten to cancel my signals even once or do any of the other things I see on the "reasons people fail the test" lists, though I do occasionally forget to check behind me when stopping every now and then (maybe once on the street ride and 2 or 3 times in the course)

Do they care about things like number of fingers on the brake lever? I got scolded for that a few times in the course because I leave my pinky finger off.

Lastly, does anybody know the route they take from too cool? I am not at all familiar with that area and would just like to brush up a bit.

Thanks in advance!

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Things I got dinged for:
Going too slow (40 in a busy residential 50)
"Unable to find proper gear" (Downshifting to stop)
I didn't get down to first for my hill start, so I had to take a second try.

Too cool likes to teach good habits, not necessary to actually ride, or get your license. Checking behind you, and keeping your hands on/off/certain fingers on the levers are good habits, not necessities.

Zero102
08-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the advice - any insight on the route they take? I'd just like to learn the area a bit, I find it's harder to follow directions when I don't know the roads.

I heard it is sort of south of the hospital and around that area.

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-07-2014, 08:33 AM
I don't remember the exact route, but it was down behind McMahon/Market Mall, around home road and such. There are playground zones, school zones, unmarked intersections, and if you mess them up, you'll fail, so pay attention, and make sure you know what time/day it is. Don't go too slow through an inactive school zone.

Mibz
08-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Ask the guy beforehand how he wants you to handle school zones. In their desire to eliminate confusion City Council has created more of it by saying "The new combined-zone law is in effect, but CPS isn't enforcing it". You need to know whether the tester is going to expect you to go 30 through school zones.

But yeah, aside from that, make sure you slow down and noticeably look both ways at uncontrolled intersections, there were a LOT of them on my test. The whole thing was pretty slow so don't worry too much about learning the route.

If you can't manage to see the signs and do the right thing at the intersections then you're probably not ready for your license anyway :P

Zero102
08-11-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm probably just over-thinking it - I can see signs and I know what to do at intersections and so on but I haven't taken a road test in many years and so it's sort of unfamiliar territory to me for that reason.

I'm an alright driver, I've got 250,000km and over 15 years of driving without an at fault accident or a ticket, I just hate that this test is $150 per attempt and I only am provided a free bike through the school for one attempt. Since I don't have a bike of my own yet (first the license, then the gear, THEN a bike) it would be tough for me to take the test a second time.

I took a drive around that area and there are a ton of intersections that look uncontrolled but once you get deep into them you can see that there is a yield or stop sign buried way back behind a tree. Does the test route go through a lot of these? I feel like the right thing to do is treat them as uncontrolled until I know for certain that they have a sign for cross traffic but I am worried that will result in points / a failure for going too slowly or obstructing traffic.

Also, some of these roads are seriously cramped, I would never drive 50 on them outside of a test situation, is there any allowance for slowing down when there is only a car's width down the center with dense parking on both sides and trees blocking visibility into most front yards?