PDA

View Full Version : fuel for '02 jetta 1.8t

nodoubtt
05-15-2009, 09:37 PM
I've been thinking about buying a 2002 jetta 1.8t and have been doing a bit of research on them.
I've read that they require premium fuel, but with gas prices these days this is one of the things that might keep me from buying it. To me though, it doesn't really seem like a car that would need premium fuel (I understand that it might bc its turbo), so just wondering if any owners out there can chip in on whether premium fuel is absolutely required for this car or if you can get away with mid grade or regular fuel

JTC180
05-15-2009, 09:43 PM
You will need premium if you dont want to ruin it.

badatusrnames
05-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Have you bothered to calculate how much more it would be a tank?

The differential is ~10 cents right now. Assuming a 50L tank, that's only around $5 more a tank. Driving habits will save you more money than having to run premium versus regular.

If you're in such a tough spot financially so as to be worried about saving $5 a tank, maybe look for a cheaper car instead.

FullMetal
05-15-2009, 11:20 PM
^^ doesnt premium gas burn up faster ?? since its soo clean and what not?

BlackArcher101
05-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by FullMetal
^^ doesnt premium gas burn up faster ?? since its soo clean and what not?

No!!!! It's how it's used that determines it's efficiency.

As for the original question... if the manual says it needs premium, then it needs premium. The engine is designed to work with that minimum octane else you get knocking and then a big repair bill. I wouldn't recommend buying a turbo'd car, because if you can't afford premium over regular, then you won't be able to afford the extra repair costs associated with tubo'd vehicles.

Sugarphreak
05-15-2009, 11:28 PM

FullMetal
05-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Have you bothered to calculate how much more it would be a tank?

The differential is ~10 cents right now. Assuming a 50L tank, that's only around $5 more a tank. Driving habits will save you more money than having to run premium versus regular.

If you're in such a tough spot financially so as to be worried about saving $5 a tank, maybe look for a cheaper car instead.

I think hes going for savings in the long run... 5 bucks builds up over a year

Kennyredline
05-16-2009, 09:32 AM
I've been running my '03 1.8 with reg/mid-grade for 12000km with no issues at all.

BlueGoblin
05-16-2009, 09:35 AM
^ Selling it and buying a diesel will add up more quickly over that year. The 1.8T motor will compensate for reduced octane with reduced performance under normal conditions, but could be prone to damage under full boost and heavy loads.

Over the year, $5/tank actually doesn't add up to that much. Even at 20,000 km year, getting 500km per tank (which is what I got in the city with my 1.8T even after the APR chip) that is only a 'savings' of $200 per year. As badatsurnames pointed out, changing driving habits can save you that much easily. You could probably save that much by going to a skinnier, lower grip tire next time you change them.

SOAB
05-16-2009, 09:42 AM
:werd:

also, note that manufacturers list fuel needs for sea level.

when i had my gixxer 750. i could run mid-grade or regular and it was just fine. never had detonation or anything.

240SXLUV
05-16-2009, 12:36 PM
gotta fill premium, not just becasue it will affect your gas mileage and engine performance but also it will screw up your fuel system and sensors so instead of 7,8 bucks more when filling, you may end up with damages that could cost you thousands...

adidas
05-16-2009, 01:19 PM
You can fill it with regular, the ecu will adjust accordingly!

Ive never ran my 1.8T with regular or mid grade!

If you can afford the few extra bux for gas, consider another car!

schocker
05-16-2009, 07:31 PM
If you dont want to buy premium just get a 2.0:dunno: