PDA

View Full Version : Soundsaround - how are these crooks still in business?

copynpaste
05-16-2009, 11:22 AM
The fact that they constantly false advertise in their ads just to get you in the door. On many occasions have been caught trying to sell used stuff as brand new in box. And the fact they dont offer any returns or even exchanges! Even if you buy something, walk out the door, take it home and find out its DOA (Dead on arrival), they will not even swap it out for you even if it was bought 10mins ago. They will tell you to take a hike and go through the manufacturer.

I believe Alberta Law states that they have to present you with a full refund as long as it's in the original condition. You might have to do some research, but I'm quite certain there's something like that...or ask any Law student. It's in one of the first courses that they teach.

These guys get such a bad rep, I dont know why anyone would even set foot in there. :confused:

sxtasy
05-16-2009, 12:17 PM
:werd: agreed Soundsaround is shit

Hakkola
05-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste
On many occasions have been caught trying to sell used stuff as brand new in box. And the fact they dont offer any returns or even exchanges!

I don't have anything good to say about them, but I find it strange that they're getting caught selling used stuff as new if they don't do returns or exchanges, unless they were all demo units.

When have they been caught doing this? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious and I like to see evidence of wrong doing before I tell people to stay away.

I'm pretty sure sales are legally final unless a companies policy dictates otherwise. I think it's under the Alberta Fair Trading Act.

Edit - Found. Here are examples of unfair trade for which you can complain about.

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1025.cfm

ruffryder
05-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Places like soundsaround still exist so that places like Visions, BB, and FS can stay in buisness.

To give you an example.. here at Visions we offer not only the Lowest Prices guaranteed but also 100% customer satisfaction guarantee as well..

What that means is. we will beat any competitors price by 5% of the total, NOT 5% of the difference like FS/BB.

Also full 15day money back returns, and 30day exchange as well as 60day price protection which is twice as long as the rest..

LOL.. thats enough of my speel.. however, i must admit, before i started working for Visions Electronics.. i used to love shopping at Soundsaround... there policies my have been crappy and the salesmen were mostly pushy-ass pricks but they definatly knew there stuff and always sold me what i needed nothing more.

That being said im sure some people out there hate shopping at Visions or BB/FS.. it all depends on your experiences with the store.. obviously. Some people say that when you have a good experience at a retail store you tell 1 or 2 people on average, however, if you have a bad experience you tell at least 10.. of which will tell another 10 and so on...

The point is that at the end of the day.. to each there own.. and as long as i can point out the weaknessess of other competitors to make buisness better.. I Will.. lol... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Seriously though... whats a warrenty worth too you??? if you dont mind saving some money and buying products blind out of the box Soundsaround would be the place to go.. But for a better sales experience and policies to help you out places like us, and even FS/BB are around for that very reason.. you pay more for peace of mind.

SORRY for the long ass reply.. im just bored at work lol..

nismodrifter
05-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I saw that audio sales guy Firoz drivin his silver Accord coupe (on spinners) just 2 days ago. Does he still work there?

He will hook you up BROTHAAAAAAAAAAA. Extra special service if you are a BROWN BROTHAAAA

:nut:

D'z Nutz
05-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
I saw that audio sales guy Firoz drivin his silver Accord coupe (on spinners) just 2 days ago. Does he still work there?

He will hook you up BROTHAAAAAAAAAAA. Extra special service if you are a BROWN BROTHAAAA

:nut:

What the fuck!? I thought Firoz was MY brotha! And my cousin's brotha! Does that make you my brotha too? :nut:

copynpaste
05-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I don't have anything good to say about them, but I find it strange that they're getting caught selling used stuff as new if they don't do returns or exchanges, unless they were all demo units.

When have they been caught doing this? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious and I like to see evidence of wrong doing before I tell people to stay away.

I'm pretty sure sales are legally final unless a companies policy dictates otherwise. I think it's under the Alberta Fair Trading Act.

Edit - Found. Here are examples of unfair trade for which you can complain about.

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1025.cfm

Ive known a few people who bought tvs from them a while back, included their setup and delivery. Guys show up, unbox, only to find out that the tvs were demo units or returns.

A buddy of mines bro used to work there awhile back and whenever they got returns (before theyre policy change), they would always retape the items and sell them as brand new in box, to maximize their profits. Even for defective items, if it was a minor defect (as long as the item still works), they would reseal them and sell as new, to save them the sake of having to send it back to the manufacturer.

wardpr68
05-16-2009, 01:13 PM
hahaha I saw Firoz at chinook mall the other day... i have to admit he is damn hilarious and a VERY good salesman... but Soundsaround has gone down the shitter so incredibly hard.

Hakkola
05-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Hah, yeah Firoz is funny, I got brown treatment even though I'm white, haha. I dated his daughter though.

^^ That's pretty shady that they would do that.

ruffryder
05-16-2009, 01:48 PM
haha Firoz is awsome.. he's the only reason i still step foot in Soundsaround lol, VERY good salesman for sure..

i bought my first soundsystem for my car from him when i was 16.. he's definatly an intense sales guy.

Legend has it that he sold a 55" 1080P High definition Plasma to a blind guy once.. lol.

bball2
05-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by ruffryder
Legend has it that he sold a 55" 1080P High definition Plasma to a blind guy once.. lol.

AHahahahahaha :rofl:

SCHIDER23
05-16-2009, 02:17 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Spoons
05-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Depends where you go I guess. Head to Soundsaround in Crowfoot. I've got some good buddies there who are very knowledgeable and won't fuck you around.

ecstasy_civic
05-16-2009, 02:43 PM

Ive known a few people who bought tvs from them a while back, included their setup and delivery. Guys show up, unbox, only to find out that the tvs were demo units or returns.

A buddy of mines bro used to work there awhile back and whenever they got returns (before theyre policy change), they would always retape the items and sell them as brand new in box, to maximize their profits. Even for defective items, if it was a minor defect (as long as the item still works), they would reseal them and sell as new, to save them the sake of having to send it back to the manufacturer.

How long ago would this be??

blackteg2
05-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Hahaha. I always had decent service and good deals from Firoz. He is a total cheeseball though.

The last time I walked into a Soundsaround, the salesman was sitting on his butt pointing to audio items acting like he was doing me a favor. Haven't been back since.

adidas
05-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Last time i was in a soundsaround store was 6-7 years ago!

The Sales guy had no clue how to hook up a receiver to a tv...so i knew what time it was!

max_boost
05-16-2009, 03:57 PM

OMG. Classic. LMAO.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

eblend
05-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I tried to buy a set of amps there a while back that they had on sale. Came in and they only had 1 set left of what I needed, almost pulled the trigger but then I read their policy on the back wall that says no returns or exchanges. I was like...wtf kind of place is this and didn't pull the trigger. I jumped into my car and went to Visions and the guys in audio department (says he was the manager of that department) hooked me up with the exact same amps for like $50 cheaper + i got the return or exhcange policy on top of that. Ever since I have been going to visions for my car audio and always got a sweet deal

old&slow
05-16-2009, 04:49 PM
They are fucktards....nuf said!

psycoticclown
05-16-2009, 05:56 PM
My parents got a bunch of their stuff at Soundsaround. Sure their policy of no return might suck, but the TV we were looking at, Visions quoted $100 more and that was with haggling, don't even talk about FS or BB. We got there, the price was $100 less than the 2nd cheapest place and the salesman dropped it another $150 for us and threw in a bunch of HDMI cables and other accessories. Never had a problem with the TV and the salesmen know what they're talking about... unlike FS or BB.

Visions is good too, went in to the Lethbridge one to look for amps, manager came up to me, asked me how much I wanted to spend and gave me a BNIB JL Slash 250/1v2 for under their cost, $300 with tax included, brand new price is $600 still on their site.

nobb
05-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Soundsaround is good for low prices and if you know exactly what you want. It also depends on the salesman too, but you might want to beware of them in general. I had a sales guy actually refusing to let me buy a bigscreen TV without the extended warranty (it was for my own good, apparently). Even after 30 minutes of arguing, I could not buy the TV until I left the store, walked back in, and talked to another sales guy.

pinoyhero
05-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Learned my lesson a long time ago ... never set foot in there for years

clem24
05-16-2009, 06:26 PM

Unfortunately your story doesn't lend much credibility. I've shopped at Soundsaround for about 15 years now. In that 15 years, they've never accepted returns. They *will* however, exchange, but only for the same item, and if the item you bought was defective. I've never had a problem with that.

Originally posted by nobb
Soundsaround is good for low prices and if you know exactly what you want.

Yes, this is *exactly* how to shop at Soundsaround. Don't go in poking around, asking what TV is good. Know what you need, and what you're willing to pay, and show the salesman that you're serious about walking out the door that day with it. Then they'll skip all the bullshit. I've gotten tons of deals this way.

I've been to Visions, and I can say they are basically a Soundsaround with a return policy, shitty prices, crappy electronics (Soundsaround carries high end stuff like Elite and at one point, Martin Logan), and free pop.

I don't work at Soundsaround (although the manager offered me a job on the spot one time cause I knew way more than their sales guy LOL), but it's definitely my preferred place if I need something and know what I need. I don't think I've ever gone in there to browse before (Future Shop and Best Buy are good for that).

My 2 cents.

Sugarphreak
05-16-2009, 06:35 PM

copynpaste
05-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

How long ago would this be??

Few years.

I remember buying a VCR from them wwwwwwwway back in the stoneage, and wanted to return it cause I didnt like it and had to go through hell and endless pointless arguements with dude after dude to get my money back.

Never been back since.

copynpaste
06-01-2009, 10:51 AM
What I dont like, is how even when you call a S.A. store, the sales guy will hound you on when youre planning on going in. Giving your name and asking for your name over the phone is fine, but asking when youre coming in or even worse trying to force the guy to come in right that day is poor and unclassy business. In fact its downright appaualling.

ecstasy_civic
06-01-2009, 08:33 PM
What I dont like, is how even when you call a S.A. store, the sales guy will hound you on when youre planning on going in. Giving your name and asking for your name over the phone is fine, but asking when youre coming in or even worse trying to force the guy to come in right that day is poor and unclassy business. In fact its downright appaualling.

Stop calling them then:dunno:

tictactoe2004
06-02-2009, 07:37 AM

If you can't handle buying from a commission salesman, go to a place like Best Buy where you don't have to deal with it. Your whole story is bullshit. Big box electronics stores do not keep boxes of stuff that would be delivered like TV's, speakers or receivers. How can a place that does not do refunds deliver repacked "demos"? If you buy a demo TV and have it delivered, they don't even use the same delivery SKU, they use one called "DEMO DELIVERY".

I think you're just a pissed off customer that was denied a refund, and trying to start shit online. Next time don't sign a contract you don't agree with and you won't have these issues.

Crymson
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I learned my lesson 3 years ago, haven't set foot in a soundsaround since, and i know i've steered quite a few people away from it.

B4tMan
06-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Pfffft, my friend recently sold a 7.1 to the Deaf Foundation

clem24
06-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
I think you're just a pissed off customer that was denied a refund, and trying to start shit online. Next time don't sign a contract you don't agree with and you won't have these issues.

LOL yeah apparently a VCR that he didn't like. It's guys like him that makes everything more expensive for everyone else.

KLCC
06-03-2009, 09:43 AM
I just bought a nice TV from the people (Curtis) in Crowfoot soundsurround. I was very impressed with the shopping experience overall. I mean we haggled quite a bit from them (we haggled off more than 17% worth of its retail price and 11% off the MSRP). I doubt I can get that kind of deals in Futureshop or BB, even on boxing day.

HyperZell
06-03-2009, 10:57 AM
The funny thing about these places is how good they make people feel about the "deals" they get. A lot of times the prices are marked up just so they can take large discounts off the price and make the customer feel like they were treated special. You don't really get this kind of insight until you know the cost of the item to the company, but I can tell you that TVs at places like BB and FS have a minimum of 20 points on them.

tictactoe2004
06-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell
The funny thing about these places is how good they make people feel about the "deals" they get. A lot of times the prices are marked up just so they can take large discounts off the price and make the customer feel like they were treated special. You don't really get this kind of insight until you know the cost of the item to the company, but I can tell you that TVs at places like BB and FS have a minimum of 20 points on them.

You have no idea how this industry works. There is no way you can "know" that BB and FS have that kind of margin in their TV's because they don't... Tv's have 15-20 points margin when they first come out before the ad's start coming out and they go on sale. A good priced lost leader may have anywhere from 2 or 3 points margin on the upper end to 5 points below cost.

I would say that on average most people in calgary pay 8-12% over cost. Take off 1-2% for the credit card transaction and the wage of the person selling you the TV and you don't have much left.