PDA

View Full Version : Portable BBQ Grill

nj2Type-S
05-16-2009, 12:56 PM
hey guys,

i had just bought this portable bbq grill from walmart but there's a warning that says "combustion by-products caused by this product produces chemicals that is known in the state of california to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm"

...ok, so i'm going to return it now...LOL, wtf!? why the hell would they sell these things if it is known to cause all that shit? anyway, any recommendations that won't give me cancer? lol, i just need a portable one for camping and whatnot.

thanks!

nonlinear
05-16-2009, 01:45 PM
i don't know, but what kind of portable grill is it? is it a cheap fold-up grill with charcoal, or a hibabchi-type with charcoal or propane? I used a small hibachi-type propane for years, and it worked great. you can usually find them for anywhere from about $20-$40, and they take those cheap small green propane canisters. nice thing is that you can take them with you anywhere (i keep mine in my truck at all times now, along with firewood, for impromptu campfires and barbecues LOL).

im2fst4u
05-16-2009, 02:03 PM
We use the Coleman RoadTrip Pro (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?product_id=9928-A50) and it is an excellent unit, very portable and grills nicely! If you are planning on using it a great deal I would recommend picking up the adapter hose so you can run it from a full size propane tank rather than the little disposable tanks.

nonlinear
05-16-2009, 02:08 PM
^^my little brother has one of those and he absolutely loves it. he uses it as a full-time grill on his deck.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
hey guys,

i had just bought this portable bbq grill from walmart but there's a warning that says "combustion by-products caused by this product produces chemicals that is known in the state of california to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm"

...ok, so i'm going to return it now...LOL, wtf!? why the hell would they sell these things if it is known to cause all that shit? anyway, any recommendations that won't give me cancer? lol, i just need a portable one for camping and whatnot.

thanks!

You'll find that warning on basically anything sold in California, they have crazy laws about warnings regarding cancer or lead. Basically, if you cook something with fire or charcoal, California thinks it's gonna give you teh cancers.

nj2Type-S
05-16-2009, 02:13 PM
it's a permasteel carry & go bbq grill. it's on sale for $23 and it uses charcoal. why the hell would they sell that stuff it it's known to cause problems? lol

theken
05-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Every thing will cause problems. You have to weigh the good vs the bad here. Eat and have fun or die

nismodrifter
05-16-2009, 03:15 PM
It's fine, no need to return it. They are basically saying that the stuff produced by COMBUSTION causes cancer.

Ie: If you are using the BBQ for 10 years 24/7/365 and you sit there sucking in all the smoke you MAY get lung cancer.

D. Dub
05-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Charring any meat in any fashion causes carcinogens.

B_Tran
05-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Coleman Road Trip:thumbsup:

TurboMedic
05-17-2009, 09:16 PM
I keep a coleman grill2go around for tailgate parties

This one.....

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Grill2Go-Gas-Grill-Char-Broil/dp/B00005B6ZB

folds up, works on a table, tailgate etc, and I use a 5lb bottle for it

nj2Type-S
05-19-2009, 08:04 AM
do you guys use charcoal fluid to fire up your grill? i've always used a gas grill so this is my first charcoal grill, hehe.

Amysicle
05-19-2009, 05:45 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_2052895_start-charcoal-grill.html

nonlinear
05-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
do you guys use charcoal fluid to fire up your grill? i've always used a gas grill so this is my first charcoal grill, hehe.

get a gas grill.

otherwise, get a chimney that you can stuff newspaper in and start a fire underneath the coals. lighter fluid makes your food taste like shit.