PDA

View Full Version : question about god parents

spikerS
05-18-2009, 03:23 PM
I was asked to become a god parent to a friend's daughter, and of course, I accepted.

Now the responsibility of the god parent is that if something happens to the child's real parents, the god parent would then take over and raise the child.

Now that I have my own daughter, I am trying to choose a god parent, and got me thinking.

Is there some sort of legal document for something like this? I can just imagine trying to get social services to accept my word that they asked me to be little suzie's god parent....

I guess my real question is, is there a process for becoming or asking someone else to become a god parent?

adidas
05-18-2009, 03:31 PM
This makes me think...I wonder who my god parent is! lol

dannie
05-18-2009, 03:34 PM
The person who is to look after the kid should be named in your will.

swak
05-18-2009, 04:44 PM
to my knowledge a 'god parent' is only responsible for taking over until child is 18.

My aunt is/was my god parent.. Thank god my parents didnt get ill, id be pissed... shes a b_tch

Tearin
05-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Being named a God parent is not legally binding. To be legally binding - one must be named a child's guardian in the parents' will.

Being a God parent (at least in the RC tradition) means that the person accepts responsibility for the child's spirtual upbringing in the tradition of the church. I'm sure other denominations have a similar view.

abyss
05-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by dannie
The person who is to look after the kid should be named in your will.

This. In order to change who is your child's guardian in the event of your death (aka - god parent) you change your will.

BlackArcher101
05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
A godparent is nothing but a title basically, a formality... has no real bearing legally. (As mentioned)

Most people I know name one, then it's never mentioned again.

A good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godparent

n1zm0
05-18-2009, 06:10 PM
it's just an excuse for you go around talking like Don Vito Corleone.

lol no really tho my god parents live halfway across the world, i think it's just a way of saying 'if something DID happen, i'd trust you to raise my child' :dunno:

LittleAngel
05-21-2009, 09:52 PM
A god parent(s) is there to raise the child in the religion you want them to be brought up in if something were to happen to you. God parents are not the guardian for that child unless they state it in their will for you to be the guardian

ianmcc
05-22-2009, 05:37 AM
You know there isn't a God.....right?

beyondpinoy
05-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by ianmcc
You know there isn't a God.....right?

how can that be? then why in the world would we have god parents... your logic makes no sense to me...lol

Tezzating
05-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by LittleAngel
A god parent(s) is there to raise the child in the religion you want them to be brought up in if something were to happen to you. God parents are not the guardian for that child unless they state it in their will for you to be the guardian

Give the Angel a prize for being correct !
http://www.catholicdoors.com/courses/godpar.htm

They're called "God Parents", not "Guardians In Waiting".

sputnik
05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Seems funny that non-religious people would want their children to have "god parents".

Lex350
05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by spikers
I was asked to become a god parent to a friend's daughter, and of course, I accepted.

Now the responsibility of the god parent is that if something happens to the child's real parents, the god parent would then take over and raise the child.

Now that I have my own daughter, I am trying to choose a god parent, and got me thinking.

Is there some sort of legal document for something like this? I can just imagine trying to get social services to accept my word that they asked me to be little suzie's god parent....

I guess my real question is, is there a process for becoming or asking someone else to become a god parent?

Being a god parent is more symbolic these days. It should be in a will who would look after the kids should there be the need.

dexlargo
05-22-2009, 10:31 AM
+1 to naming guardians in your will.

It's also a good idea to name alternate guardians in case the primary guardian dies, declines or is unable to raise your child for some reason. It's also important to have a conversation with the person you intend to name as a guardian to insure that they are willing to be a guardian, and so they won't be surprised by the will.

Don't delay writing a will! Even if you don't get around to seeing a lawyer, if you write a will in your own handwriting, date and sign it, it's a valid will without lawyers or witnesses being involved. Let someone you trust know where the will is located.

A lawyer can help you to cover situations and technicalities you wouldn't otherwise think of, but make sure you have a will dealing with your kids - it can prevent a lot of trouble.

beyondpinoy
05-22-2009, 02:53 PM
hahaha if your filipino, then you have like 20+ god parents!!!

sputnik
05-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by beyondpinoy
hahaha if your filipino, then you have like 20+ god parents!!!

That's because for filipinos "god parents" are people your parents give the permission to beat you if they see you causing trouble.

:D