PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of gophers

anhsicun
05-19-2009, 07:50 PM
i have these masssive dirt patches in my back yard, im asuming thier gophers. what the best way of catching / getting rid of these pest? liek i know i can call pest controal but i would like to try it my seff 1st. also it for a residental home.

SJW
05-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Don't feel so bad I have freakin squirrels in my roof soffits.

The trap i have is too big and they stole my bait. (snickers).

Will get better trap in the morning. Were I you i'd just do some research. If you want to go the humane way you can rent traps. Just google it and you'll get the weaselhead site.

4lti7ude
05-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Leave out chewed up bubble gum.
They love it and when they eat it they get plugged up and die pretty quick.

Dont know if itll work, but thats what we died when I worked at a gold course.

ChappedLips
05-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Bring the hose out and flood their holes, wait until they pop up and hit them with a golf club. That's how I used to do it, they don't come back anymore.

If you aren't comfortable with that then try poison or something, but I prefer my way.

Kritafo
05-19-2009, 08:46 PM
We bought a trap at the UFA and caught about 3..haven't had any since. Not a humane trap either.

We tried to flood them out, they just kept coming back.

Apparently lots of our neighbors have had great success with urine powder, not sure where you get that. Probably UFA as well.

frozenrice
05-19-2009, 08:57 PM
tjdky7hBp-E

civicrider
05-19-2009, 08:57 PM
pellet gun and a six pack of beer

Roaring G60
05-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Haha, a while back a guy in springbank used a rodenator and started a hugh grass fire. I heard there was a hefty fine involved as well.

ZedMan
05-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
pellet gun and a six pack of beer

Wow man, that's just cruel.

Use a .22 instead to guarantee a quick kill . :thumbsup:

5000Audi
05-19-2009, 11:05 PM
back in yee ol saskie, i lived in a small town and all the farmers would pay us kids 25 cents a tail to take out gophers on their poperties, we started with .22's then upgraded to 12gauge shotties, made some good monies through out the summer months while off school..but good way to do it thats kinda fun lol.. snair them... takes a while but its fun once you catch one!! then let it go with 10 fire crackers with a delayed fuse.. maybe take out another one with em haha

but since none of those ideas would be good to do in a city, if they are down the holes plug the tops all all the holes but 2, drop the hose in there and start pumping the water.. they will scurry up one of the hole if they dont drown first

Kloubek
05-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Warning: The Gophers have been alerted!

j_i0eG_I55I

Chris88CL
05-19-2009, 11:23 PM
If it were outside the city I'd be the first to volunteer to take care of them for ya. I've got a few bricks of 22LR burning a hole in my pocket.

frozenrice
05-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
back in yee ol saskie, i lived in a small town and all the farmers would pay us kids 25 cents a tail to take out gophers on their poperties, we started with .22's then upgraded to 12gauge shotties, made some good monies through out the summer months while off school..but good way to do it thats kinda fun lol.. snair them... takes a while but its fun once you catch one!! then let it go with 10 fire crackers with a delayed fuse.. maybe take out another one with em haha

but since none of those ideas would be good to do in a city, if they are down the holes plug the tops all all the holes but 2, drop the hose in there and start pumping the water.. they will scurry up one of the hole if they dont drown first

Like this? Contains graphic scenes ;)

B6QTgs4OG3A

Love the music :guns:

mr2mike
05-20-2009, 08:55 AM
I believe you can use propane, which is heavier than air. You fill in a lot of the holes and then pump it down there. It basically suffocated them and puts them to sleep.

Please don't use poison. A neighbour used that by where I grew up. I found my dog chewing on a dead gopher, then proceeded to watch my dog die from gopher poison. I don't want anyone else to have to see that.

Poison will kill other animals who eat the gopher who dies from the poisoning. Be it birds, or other animals. It just cycles in the food chain.

cycosis
05-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
lol.. snair them... takes a while but its fun once you catch one!! then let it go with 10 fire crackers with a delayed fuse.. maybe take out another one with em haha

You've got issues.

civic_stylez
05-20-2009, 09:34 AM
We hit em with the .300 Mag when we camp.. that is a guaranteed kill!! 12 gauge buckshot works nice too..

CMW403
05-20-2009, 10:01 AM
damn i wish you were outside city limits. i also have a damn metal ammo case FULL of .22 rounds.

flooding and golf club should work well

atgilchrist
05-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Watch Caddyshack.

HHURICANE1
05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
.22 hollow points FTW. You hear a satisfying splat when it hits and gopher gets ventilated quite well when it comes out the other side. :D

bignerd
05-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Yes if you use poison you need to collect the bodies and dispose of them properly (usually by burying deep) as dogs and cats can get into them and they die quite quickly after eating them. As well sometimes they crawl away to other places to die when poisoned and if you have kids or pets its not great either.

I know someone whose dog died after eating a gopher that was dead and poisoned that had been dropped in their yard by a bird flying overhead.

R!zz0
05-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Warning: The Gophers have been alerted!

j_i0eG_I55I

SDQB9tDDcrM

anhsicun
05-25-2009, 12:09 AM
okay thanks for all the advice i bought like 10 traps at ufa, some has gum and same has these seeds i got for gophers. i hope i catch some or ima call some one out to poison them.

that video with teh guy blowing up the hole is CRAZY :nut: haha i wish i can do that