PDA

View Full Version : Best Indian in Calgary

natejj
05-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Moti Mahal on 17th is decent, but you don't get unlimited naan bread, and the portions are small in my opinion. Any other recommendations? Extra points for buffet...I'm hoping someone can recommend some tiny in the wall place up in Falcon Ridge that is a true EI experience complete with pirated DVD's for sale at the front.

w_man
05-20-2009, 12:58 PM
eemm you looking for cheap or best?

cheap ... pick any of them over in falcon ridge .. bombay sweet house has buffets.

best ... nawab in downtown ... or even mango shiva on stephen ave.

natejj
05-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by w_man
eemm you looking for cheap or best?

cheap ... pick any of them over in falcon ridge .. bombay sweet house has buffets.

best ... nawab in downtown ... or even mango shiva on stephen ave.

Alright, I want the best BUFFET. Because they are never more then 15 bucks... and I just want to gorge myself on butter chicken and naan... nawab, is that a classy joint? And do they do a buffet?

A790
05-20-2009, 12:59 PM
I think you're looking for the cheapest/best value...

n1zm0
05-20-2009, 01:03 PM
me and some class mates used to do the EI N.E weekly visit to that one plaza behind autodream when we were at SAIT aero, it was Apna for the longest time (until a certain incident prompted us to never go back), Nirvana (once in a while was good, no problem with the place IMO it's the 'classiest' of all i've been to, was just too expensive for every week) and theres one place next to the liquor store and that some jewelers on the other side, also OK IMO.

as for the pirated DVDs, it would have to be Apna cause right next door is a DVD store which my EI friends would make me visit while they got their paan, i'll have betel nut (reminds me of M'sia) but not the whole chew/spit package lol

but then again i dont think i could ever go back to apna...

ExtraSlow
05-20-2009, 01:03 PM
I really enjoy Namskar on 16th ave around 2nd st NE. it's not a buffet, and so not super cheap, but the food has always been excellent.

I don't go to buffets anymore if I can help it. I'd prefer to pay a little more and get fresh food.

w_man
05-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Nawab is a classy joint I suppose ... in a sense that you don't walk out smelling like curry. Fantastic food in my opinion.

I would suggest you try Bombay Sweet House's buffet .. don't think its super expensive and there's usually enough food. There is also a Village Restaurant but I'm not sure if they do buffet or not (I did see the buffet table but there was no food being served in it).

If you are in downtown area though .. there are quite a few indian buffets. There's Mysore Palace with decent selection, Taste of Indian and then Royal India. Google the names for addresses.

jjmac
05-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Now I know you said Calgary, but if your ever in Edmonton, there is an awesome Indian restaurant there called New Asian Village, there are 4 locations and they offer lunch and dinner buffet.

I was just there over the weekend and they said that they had plans to actually expand down here in Calgary within the next 2 years =)

cdnsir
05-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I really enjoy Namskar on 16th ave around 2nd st NE. it's not a buffet, and so not super cheap, but the food has always been excellent.

I don't go to buffets anymore if I can help it. I'd prefer to pay a little more and get fresh food.

I just tried that place out on Monday, and frankly I'm not a fan of that place... The curry doesn't seem to be as strong as the NE joints.

For a quick but satisfying bite, I would recommend Tiffin near the Franklin Station. Tiffin's not a buffet, but you get to choose any curries you want to go with your roti/rice.

For buffets, there's one in Falconridge that I really like. It's near the Safeway, but it's on the northern end where the Pizza Hut is. I can never remember the name of that place, but I just know where it is... Please correct me if I'm wrong here, But I think it's called the Bombay Sweethouse? Cuz I remember seeing a huge dessert section in the back of that place.

nismodrifter
05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
^Bombay is fuckin ghetto. I would never send anyone there if they were looking for good Indian food. Just sitting inside that restaurant stresses me out because you can tell that the workers haven't slept in like 10 days and are losing their minds. Owner also runs Nirvana...which is also ghetto in terms of service. Nice place, but the service is just ghetto EI style.

Ok, so basically it seems like you are wanting decent VALUE, ie: not one of the high end places downtown that rip you off.

For a CLEAN place with great food and service I go to Lovely Sweet House. The waiter dood is pretty cool and he always checks up on you, makes sure everything is good. Buffet is like $9 or $10 I think. If I am in the area I usually drop by for lunch buffet if I am hungry...or samosas if I'm just wanting a snack. Their samosas are F'ing good. :drool:

Address: 4818 Westwinds Dr NE
- 52nd -> Left onto Castleridge Blvd -> Left onto Westwinds Drive -> it will be on the right hand side in the big green plaza

Shiet I'm craving some right now. :drool:

Oh and just for general info: Sweethouse basically = restaurant + a ton of sweets. EI's like to have sweets on basically any occasion/party/religious event so thats why they emphasize that they do sell sweets.

TeamBestBud
05-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Best Indian in Calgary

I am.

But seriously +1 for lovely. nismo remember the days of kohi noor and their awesome samosa's. Makes me want to buy a mustang and drop the top for all the fly hunnys.

nismodrifter
05-20-2009, 03:24 PM
^ahhahaha. Werrrrrd up to that

I used to go to Bombay back in the day, I witnessed one of their younger employees basically have a nervous breakdown as the kitchen kept nagging him about doing something when there was a line of like 100 customers there. Dood just went crazy. After that day I never went back, started going to Kohinoor. Kohinoor was the SHIET. Kohinoor ppl decided to move on with their lives and sold the place....Lovely Sweet House took over....and I've been eating there ever since. I'm only in the NE maybe 1-2 times a month but I always try and make a stop there to eat something.

I think the good thing about this place is that its kept CLEAN and run with some professionalism. The waiter knows how to deal with his customers and is always on top of his shiet. In terms of buffet, the vegetable dishes taste good, tandoori chicken is wicked, naan is fresh outta the oven at your table, desserts are usually awesome, and best of all I get to eat in peace without hearing the employees yelling (ie: Bombay stylez).

Props to them.

harv91
05-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by TeamBestBud

I am.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EK 2.0
05-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Address: 4818 Westwinds Dr NE
- 52nd -> Left onto Castleridge Blvd -> Left onto Westwinds Drive -> it will be on the right hand side in the big green plaza

Shiet I'm craving some right now. :drool:

Oh and just for general info: Sweethouse basically = restaurant + a ton of sweets. EI's like to have sweets on basically any occasion/party/religious event so thats why they emphasize that they do sell sweets.

If you are going...shoot me a text homie...I will join you hahaha...

natejj
05-20-2009, 10:53 PM
I think I'm gonna try Lovely, I'll post a review after, thanks.

nonlinear
05-21-2009, 12:58 AM
it's not a buffet (:barf: ), but if you're ever looking for dope takeout, check out http://www.greenchili.ca/

seriously some of the best indian, and now several locations around the city

Ajay
05-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Glory of India on 4th has a pretty mean buffet.

One of my favorites.

jdmakkord
05-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

If you are going...shoot me a text homie...I will join you hahaha...

Should have an OG EI meet sometime:bigpimp:

max_boost
05-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I've never had Indian food in my life. nismo and ek, call me next time you guys go. :drool:

QuasarCav
05-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
it's not a buffet (:barf: ), but if you're ever looking for dope takeout, check out http://www.greenchili.ca/

seriously some of the best indian, and now several locations around the city

I actually tried the location on Macleod just after Heritage and I was not very happy. I ordered beef vindaloo and naan and I was surprised to see such a large portion when I picked it up. Once I arrived home I was quite dissapointed by the 3 pieces of meat and 4 pieces of potatoe in the fat ladened sauce which lacked flavor.

2.5 / 5 and most of that is for the delicous naan.

SpoonDC2R
05-21-2009, 01:29 PM
I tried that new indian place on 17th yesterday. "Green Chilli"
And i was satisfied with food. The naan bread wasn't the greatest though. We got the garlic naan bread and it was a bit too garlicy. But if anyone decides to go i definitely recommend the Chilli beef!

EK 2.0
05-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Should have an OG EI meet sometime:bigpimp:

that is a top idea yaar...top....

bubbley
05-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Maharaja
Surya
Namiskar ---> but pricey

lelalong
05-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Skylark on 17th Ave SE - Basic atmosphere but tasty lunch buffet. Really good butter chicken. Sometimes they have goat curry. Lots of pappadums and naan. Tasty rice pudding!

Delhi Darber on Glenmore Tr (near Glenmore Inn) - lunch buffet is good
Surahi on Bonaventure Drive (beside Carriage house Inn) - huge lunch buffet

3g4u
05-21-2009, 03:38 PM
I like Rajdoot on 4th st. For lunch they have a great buffet with unlimited Nan as well!

nonlinear
05-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

I actually tried the location on Macleod just after Heritage and I was not very happy. I ordered beef vindaloo and naan and I was surprised to see such a large portion when I picked it up. Once I arrived home I was quite dissapointed by the 3 pieces of meat and 4 pieces of potatoe in the fat ladened sauce which lacked flavor.

2.5 / 5 and most of that is for the delicous naan.

i've always thought it was great, and it seems to be well-regarded on chowhound as well. give it another chance - you must have went on an off day

Originally posted by SpoonDC2R
I tried that new indian place on 17th yesterday. "Green Chilli"
And i was satisfied with food. The naan bread wasn't the greatest though. We got the garlic naan bread and it was a bit too garlicy. But if anyone decides to go i definitely recommend the Chilli beef!

yea, this is the newest location. it's funny how you and quasar totally disagree about the naan haha

w_man
05-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Holy daandia sticks .... this thread brought out some places I had never heard of before.

I gotta try this lovely place (no pun intended)

takkyu
05-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Mirch Masala (NE Rundlehorn Drive) is pretty dang good. Has lots of good reviews on urbanspoon as well.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/190959/restaurant/Northeast/Mirch-Masala-Calgary

natejj
05-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Went to lovely... was pretty decent. The old guy who was working the till as we left tried to hustle us for $20 I'm pretty sure, but we weren't budging. I counted the money before he put it all in the register and was suddenly $20 short. Once my cowardly white friends went outside, I basically told him how much was there, he looked over the bill, mumbled to himself, pretended to change something then had an epifany, like he suddenly realized something amazing! And suddenly, our bill was just right! Sigh, us brown people....

clem24
05-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by cdnsir

I just tried that place out on Monday, and frankly I'm not a fan of that place... The curry doesn't seem to be as strong as the NE joints.

Meh. Namskar is made to cater to white people. Their butter chicken tastes funny, though they do have a lunch buffet.

My fave is Spice Hut in Hunterhorn Plaza. Great place and value. I swear their take out is twice as much food as eating in. It's a total dive but their food is awesome. There's also a total dive (combined Indian and pizza joint) beside Diner Deluxe on Edmonton Trail. I think it's called Prime Tandoori House. It's so ghetto that you use plastic cutlery and foam plates when eating in. But great food!

98brg2d
05-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I think Spice Hut serves based on the number of people at the table cause I have gone with two to five people and alwys order the same stuff and get the right amount.

The_Rural_Juror
05-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about EK2.0. Best Indian fosho.

interlude
05-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Nawab for sure!

Owner is awesome.. and if your lucky.. you will see Iggy there lol