PDA

View Full Version : Window & Door Replacements

masoncgy
05-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I am going to have all of my windows replaced in my home and wanted to see if others here have any recommendations on who is the best company to do this, price & satisfaction wise.

Thanks!

prae
05-20-2009, 04:12 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/255652/re-sizing-basement-windows/

couple of names there.

ExtraSlow
05-20-2009, 04:33 PM
I used western windows a little more than a year ago to do two entry doors and about half a dozen windows. they were about middle of the pack in price terms. I was extrememyl happy with the service I got, and the windows had no problmes for the year I lived in that house beofre I moved.

superman1
05-20-2009, 04:38 PM
WESTERN WINDOWS :thumbsup:

jonsey737
05-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Check out Legacy Windows.

http://www.legacywindows.net/

Ask for Matt or Adam.

qcp1
06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
depending on how many windows, how high it is not a hard job for most people to do themselves. ive done it many times on different houses and once you are set up it takes less than 15 minutes per window (average size, slider, casement etc. ) to level out and install with two people.

Billy2K
05-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Bump to see if anybody has more recommendations for door & window installers.

Has anybody dealt with Lux Windows before?

Also, do you guys look for installers with Window Wise certification (http://www.windowwise.com/)?

2LOW4SNOW
05-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Billy2K
Bump to see if anybody has more recommendations for door & window installers.

Has anybody dealt with Lux Windows before?

Also, do you guys look for installers with Window Wise certification (http://www.windowwise.com/)?

I used lux to do all my basement windows (three of them enlarged for fire safety) and things went well and I was pretty happy with the quality and install job.

A year later I decided to get three windows upstairs replaced. I’m not a beyond baller and could only afford to do three. Lux called, told me everything was set up and ready to go. I took the day off work, the installer showed up with only two of the windows, told me lux had lost the third. It has now been about 4 weeks since that happened, no phone calls, no updates, still no third window. I’ll post if it ever shows up.

My parents also had 26 windows replaced by lux, overall the job went smoothly, quality looked good. Their only complaint is that when the new trim on the inside of the house was installed, it was a little bit smaller than the old trim, so a tiny bit of old paint would appear around the edges.

Hope that helps.

Nufy
05-17-2011, 01:58 PM
I had Gentek Windows installed in my house a few years back.

Need a few small ones to complete it.

Supplied and installed by a small company.

I'm in the field right now but when I get back I can throw you the numbers and contact info.

Albert did awesome work for us. Will use him again...

2LOW4SNOW
07-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by 2LOW4SNOW

A year later I decided to get three windows upstairs replaced. I’m not a beyond baller and could only afford to do three. Lux called, told me everything was set up and ready to go. I took the day off work, the installer showed up with only two of the windows, told me lux had lost the third. It has now been about 4 weeks since that happened, no phone calls, no updates, still no third window. I’ll post if it ever shows up.

Time for an update to help out my fellow beyond home owners looking for windows.

It has been 13 weeks now since lux showed up and only installed 2 out of the 3 windows they were supposed to.

Today I noticed that they have now charged my Visa, for all 3 windows.

Summary:
- Took the entire day off work to have 3 windows installed
- Lux shows up with only 2 windows, indicate that they lost window #3 and will call when they find it
- 13 weeks later, still no phone call
- Lux charges my Visa for all 3 windows, without my consent (Not even a phone call)
- Call Lux and ask why they are charging my Visa without my consent, and for an item I haven't received.
- Lux tells me that the accounts manager has just got back from vacation and can't get to this for at least a day or two. (Would it be safe to guess that they have customers they screwed over worse than me that are a greater priority?)

I'll post up what transpires.

Amysicle
07-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 2LOW4SNOW

Time for an update to help out my fellow beyond home owners looking for windows.

It has been 13 weeks now since lux showed up and only installed 2 out of the 3 windows they were supposed to.

Today I noticed that they have now charged my Visa, for all 3 windows.

Summary:
- Took the entire day off work to have 3 windows installed
- Lux shows up with only 2 windows, indicate that they lost window #3 and will call when they find it
- 13 weeks later, still no phone call
- Lux charges my Visa for all 3 windows, without my consent (Not even a phone call)
- Call Lux and ask why they are charging my Visa without my consent, and for an item I haven't received.
- Lux tells me that the accounts manager has just got back from vacation and can't get to this for at least a day or two. (Would it be safe to guess that they have customers they screwed over worse than me that are a greater priority?)

I'll post up what transpires. Is there a period of time that Visa requires you to dispute a charge otherwise you're SOL for waiting too long? Maybe let Visa know to put a note on your file so that you also have another option if Lux doesn't get around to refunding your money or replacing that third window.

2LOW4SNOW
07-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
Is there a period of time that Visa requires you to dispute a charge otherwise you're SOL for waiting too long? Maybe let Visa know to put a note on your file so that you also have another option if Lux doesn't get around to refunding your money or replacing that third window.

I guess I didn't really explain it. they just put the charge on my visa last week, I noticed it today.

So I'm not too concerned.... yet.

I'm fairly certain that Lux will eventually make this right. But it was a pretty greasy move to just bill my card like that. Especially when they have yet to finish the job.

Hopefully I don't have to get Visa involved, but will not hesitate to do so if I feel like I am getting the run around. Putting a note on file is a good idea.

2LOW4SNOW
07-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Spoke with Lux again. They claim that the infamous window #3 was never built because they didn't have the correct parts on hand to do so (It's just a standard rectangular casement window). I am told that they are making it now, and can install it in August.

Lux is also telling me that the accounts manager is still on vacation (even though I was told earlier this week that he just got back from vacation). I'll give them 1 more day to sort out this un-authorized charge on my Visa.