PDA

View Full Version : "Lady Driven"

Tarrantula
05-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Earlier today I was having a conversation with a co-worker about purchasing vehicles.

We came upon the topic of vehicles being advertised as "Lady Driven". Personally, whenever I see this posted in an add the first thing I think is 'Bullshit', but my friend brought up a very good point.. he would consider that a bad thing to put in an add, only because there are a lot of women that dont know a thing about cars, or regular maintenance..

What do you guys/girls think? Im on the fence, but I would lean more towards this not being a selling point of a vehicle.

:dunno: Discuss.

Shlade
05-21-2009, 09:46 AM
"lady driven" occasional maintenence or when the check engine light comes on then they go in to see whats wrong

for instance

my friends mom drives a gmc astro van, he asks he when the oil was last changed, she had to think for a minute and says "i think i went in to get the oil changed half a year ago"

the engine siezed that day.

EM1FTW
05-21-2009, 09:54 AM
"lady driven, man maintained" always makes me chuckle

Kloubek
05-21-2009, 09:55 AM
I've thought this way for years. But generally speaking, if they did not take care of it then it will be in such condition when you go to look at it too.

Really, I think "lady driven" doesn't mean much unless it's a sports car. People who buy a Corolla generally drive it like a Corolla - regardless of gender. If it's a sports car, then there is a good chance the woman didn't drive it as hard as the average guy would. But if you factor in the possibility of lack of maintenance, then it really doesn't make much of a difference either way.

2jzgte
05-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I was just thinking of this...whenever i think of "Lady Driven" I always think Bagged to shit.

I think of my sister, Bitch was crazy behind the wheel when she was pissed about anything speeding, failing to stop etc. I always get tail gated by female drivers...like this one time in the winter, some trendy hag in a green beetle tail gating me while driving down a very icy road like, I mean close to touching my bumper, good thing it wasn't my car or I would of hit the brakes.

So I was always skeptical when looking at vehicles when the descriptions states "Lady Driven".

Redlyne_mr2
05-21-2009, 09:57 AM
I would never buy a car from my mom.

5G_celica
05-21-2009, 09:59 AM
I think what they are refering to is that fact that girls are less likely to bag on the car.

when it comes to maintenance, just cause it's male owned doesn't mean it's been well maintaned, so that's always something you have to look out for

EK 2.0
05-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Same here....when my mom did drive it was always me being called to check out noises, or why the car was pulling, or what does this red light on the speedo mean haha...

Tarrantula
05-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
People who buy a Corolla generally drive it like a Corolla - regardless of gender.

You obviously have never seen my drive my Civic then. ha ha ha.

People drive like they drive, I dont think the car would make me a different driver.. I would still try to drive the same way.. just maybe not as fast as a Lambo!

FiveFreshFish
05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by 5G_celica
I think what they are refering to is that fact that girls are less likely to bag on the car.

when it comes to maintenance, just cause it's male owned doesn't mean it's been well maintaned, so that's always something you have to look out for

This is true.

bignerd
05-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Lady driven for me (a lady) means 100kms more per tank of gas versus the husbands driving.

Tarrantula
05-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by bignerd
Lady driven for me (a lady) means 100kms more per tank of gas versus the husbands driving.

haha touche!

But you must have respect for vehicles.

Tarrantula
05-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by 5G_celica

I think women treat cars worse than men in general. Most guys have a little pride in their ride.

mdeluxe
05-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

same!

Lady driven cars are probably in bad shape... driving with oil/engine lights on, dings on doors etc.., not very well maintained, I personally wouldnt base a sale on a car being "lady driven" but there are lots of guys that maintain their car 10x better yet alot are 10x worse at the same time

maybe the only thing is that it wasnt driven hard :dunno:

heavyD
05-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Teenage driven is obviously the worst but Lady Driven can be a plus or minus depending on the type of vehicle. A lady driven mustang (I picked because 67% of owners are female) is probably a better buy than a male driven one as it probably hasn't been bagged. On the minus side alot women are oblivious to problems or maintenance schedules. As well many get into fender benders and curb their vehicles regularily.

scat19
05-21-2009, 11:27 AM
When people try to sell a car, they need to take all personal/personable aspects away from it.

bundi
05-21-2009, 11:29 AM
If you couldn't tell the condition of a set of used rims just by looking at them, would you buy some that were "lady driven"?

ShermanEF9
05-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Lady driven to me means its probably been in a fender bender, never been maintained on time and probably smells like a $300 perfume.

Aleks
05-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I love the FULLY LOADED except for leather, navigation, sunroof ads :banghead:

Tik-Tok
05-21-2009, 01:05 PM

Not really, I know of quite a few guys who get better mileage than their wives (on manual transmission cars)

alloroc
05-21-2009, 01:13 PM

My experience is the opposite - especially with standards.

Women never seem to shift out of third gear. This results in poorer gas milage and way more engine revolutions (wear) per kilometer.

EDIT ^ LOL Tik TOK I posted before I got to the end .. too funny. ...

kevie88
05-21-2009, 01:24 PM
I once advertised a bike I was selling as a "Smokers bike, Never lady driven" haha

it sold in 1 day :rofl:

Tarrantula
05-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
I once advertised a bike I was selling as a "Smokers bike, Never lady driven" haha

it sold in 1 day :rofl:

HAHAHA thats actually really funny. I find that sellers that can make me laugh usually get more of my attention. Tactical!

2EFNFAST
05-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

I think women treat cars worse than men in general. Most guys have a little pride in their ride.

I would have to agree with that. I've seen women pushing shopping carts out of stalls with their calls, leaning carts against their cars, etc... etc...

Now, I've also seen guys do this as well, but usually the ones in lifted 4x4s and jeeps, so that's okay :D

atgilchrist
05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
It totally depends on the person. I know girls to treat their cars like gold with proper maintenance, and I know guys who treat their cars like crap.:dunno:

Kloubek
05-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Women never seem to shift out of third gear. This results in poorer gas milage and way more engine revolutions (wear) per kilometer.

Luckily, not many women know how to drive a stick either...

(In either sense of the word)

reiRei
05-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Luckily my car isn't lady driven, it's bitch driven..

.. yeah, I went there...

BlackArcher101
05-21-2009, 03:21 PM
I prefer "Driven by person that paid for it". Then I know they at least had a better chance of respecting it.

This discludes the "Lady driven but paid for by husband" vehicles. I think those are the worst you can buy.

slinkie
05-21-2009, 05:06 PM
was looking at cars when i saw one claiming 'LADY DRIVEN'
my friend next to me said
'don't get that one, its been in an accident'

:rofl:

theken
05-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Unless its a 70 year old lady I wouldn't buy it

livinlarge89
05-21-2009, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't buy a car from an old lady that only drove it to church because she probably changed the oil every 3000km/s....but it works out to every 2 years

TYMSMNY
05-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
was looking at cars when i saw one claiming 'LADY DRIVEN'
my friend next to me said
'don't get that one, its been in an accident'

:rofl:

especially if they're Asian..... :D My mom has smacked all her car/suvs into inanimate objects.

max_boost
05-21-2009, 09:16 PM
lol it doesn't really matter who drives it imo

More importantly I care if the maintenance has been up to date and the car shows well. +1 for the guys who detail their cars in and out before a sale and have all receipts for the maintenance work done.

Anyway.....lady driven, I would ask if for pics or if she was Asian j/k

Nissan_Fanboy
05-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

Bullshit,
I have soo much pride in my cars,
Heyy, i might step on it a few times, but i take good care of it.
Replace anything that is IFFY,
Keep it clean 100% of the time.
Always washed,
Always clean.

But i'm pretty sure it's about the "bagging the shit" out of the car.
When you hear "lady driven" i picture i little miss priss putting on makup not knowing where the far right pedal is, not knowing what a redline is, and how it feels to take the revs past 3500rpms.

My $0.02

sxtothe240
05-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy

Bullshit,
Always washed,
Always clean.

When you hear "lady driven" i picture i little miss priss putting on makup not knowing where the far right pedal is, not knowing what a redline is, and how it feels to take the revs past 3500rpms.

My $0.02

You need to get out more.
Women drivers have the worst road rage.

dino_martini
05-21-2009, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't buy a car from my mom. She's not bad with maintenance...its just that it is not as important to her as it probably should be.

corsvette
05-21-2009, 10:29 PM
If a guy is driving down the road and his temp guage rises to the red zone "most" men would know that they should imeadiatly stop and find out whats wrong before major damage is done,a lady on the other hand is more likely to keep driving and have it looked at later,my sister in law's first car was a 1995 Saturn sl-1,they lived about 30km outside calgary,down gravel roads,she drove that car everywhere,if i had to guess in the 3 years it lived she put 25-30,000 kms on it,and NEVER ONCE got an oil change!Not all girls are like that but watch out,some just dont know any better.

KandabashiDevil
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm not going to brag about my sexual adventures, but I've never known a woman that changed her own oil regularly. I've met a small handful that have done it once or twice. Probably just to mention it in conversation though.

alloroc
05-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy

Bullshit,
Always washed,
Always clean.

My $0.02

Unless you are a woman with the title Nissan Fanboy.
then Reading > than you.
He said men have more pride in their rides than women. You call BS then say you have pride in your car? Go figure.

reiRei
05-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil
I'm not going to brag about my sexual adventures, but I've never known a woman that changed her own oil regularly. I've met a small handful that have done it once or twice. Probably just to mention it in conversation though.

clearly you've never met me...

just did the oil change on my fiancee's car :thumbsup:

bignerd
05-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Not really, I know of quite a few guys who get better mileage than their wives (on manual transmission cars)

I suppose. I learned to drive on a stick shift, took my drivers test on a stick shift and have never ever owner an automatic. Occasionally I have to drive auto (rental car or moms cars etc...) but after 13 years I know how to drive stick with the best of them.

911fever
05-23-2009, 07:46 PM
it's not a good idea to use personal stuff in a car ad.

Canucks3322
05-24-2009, 12:00 AM
This is a little off topic but do you guys who love your cars let your girlfriends drive them?? Especially if your girlfriend only sees a vehicle as just that and not your baby?

Canmorite
05-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

especially if they're Asian..... :D My mom has smacked all her car/suvs into inanimate objects.

Oh not just Asians. I see so many women just bump into things. "Oh haha, that's what bumpers are for!" :facepalm:

89s1
05-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
This is a little off topic but do you guys who love your cars let your girlfriends drive them?? Especially if your girlfriend only sees a vehicle as just that and not your baby?

I let my wife drive my old 89 civic with a 190 hp b16a swap in it quite a few times, basically if she ever needed to. She likes cars and has only ever driven stick, so it was no biggie.

Then one day she gets home, walks up to me and says. "I hit something in your car today." My heart kinda drops, and I reply "What?"

"She repeats herself, I hit something in your car today...." Then grins and says "vtec."

Gotta love her. :D

MikeAg
05-25-2009, 07:54 AM
I went to check out this integra from this girl, pretty good condition, low kms. When I got there she pulled it out of the ally the bumper scratched the road pretty fking bad and she came out like nothing happened. :facepalm:

GQBalla
05-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by 89s1

I let my wife drive my old 89 civic with a 190 hp b16a swap in it quite a few times, basically if she ever needed to. She likes cars and has only ever driven stick, so it was no biggie.

Then one day she gets home, walks up to me and says. "I hit something in your car today." My heart kinda drops, and I reply "What?"

"She repeats herself, I hit something in your car today...." Then grins and says "vtec."

Gotta love her. :D

ahha thats awesome

Mar
05-25-2009, 09:01 AM
My mom told me once there was a light that came on......a square with a squiggly thing coming out of it. I told her it was the gas light.

I prefer to buy a vehicle that was owned by a guy though, I find with women that drive cars constantly below 3000 RPM for their whole lifespan don't properly give it a good run in once in a while and clean out the injectors. Whenever I'd go home to visit my parents, my mom's car was always running like trash until I took it for a rip down the highway and back. Then it'd be fine for a few weeks.

msommers
05-25-2009, 10:18 AM
For the ladies speaking up about the sterotype is not true, you're on a car forum, we love that you love cars! But most girls don't know a fuckin thing about their car, how to maintain it and relys on someone else (ie: boyfriend or dad) to fix things when they remember about it. Not all girls obviously, but a majority have no interest in learning or caring about cars other than where does the gas go.

heavyD
05-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

That's one of the reasons that it's hard to find a bone stock used Honda in this city that hasn't had a bumper re-painted. A few years back I went with my brother to look at several late model used Civics and they all had paintwork done and since for some reason many Honda owners use A1 Autobody it's pretty easy to spot the paint flaws.

clem24
05-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Man.. Lady driven means don't buy.

My wife's van had warped rotors and wheels that were out of balance. She didn't notice a thing until I drove it and pointed it out. Also, I clearly wrote out the last time (kms and date) I did an oil change right on the fridge and told her to tell me when 6k kms is up. When I drive it I notice it's past due by 2k kms. She's like "oh, woops". WTF?!?

But on the flip side, man driven means jack shit as well. I see cars all the time that accelerate with their brake lights on (i.e. left foot braking). And the driver? Usually male. And what about ads that show souped up car, tons of mods, and then claiming to never been bagged on (there's tons of these on beyond). YEAH RIGHT. You're telling you modded your car so you can drive it like a granny. WTF?!?

So yeah. Makes no diff. The fact is, you're buying used and unless you've known the owner since day 1 that the car was driven off the lot, you have no fucking clue what that car has been through. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. That's probably why people buy new cars instead.

Nissan_Fanboy
05-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Unless you are a woman with the title Nissan Fanboy.
then Reading > than you.
He said men have more pride in their rides than women. You call BS then say you have pride in your car? Go figure.

No i was quoteing someone on how they said that guys don't have much pride and wemon take better car.

Tarrantula
05-27-2009, 02:57 PM
I said quite the contrary actually.