PDA

View Full Version : Used berry's and PINs

dragonone
05-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Can someone please explain to me the procedures regarding used blackberries?

i'm reading that at time of exchange one should get the owner to call their carrier to release the PIN and IMEI so the buyer can re-register it....
what happens to the PIN number tho, wouldn't previous contacts keep on msg-ing the same PIN, since the PIN number stays with the phone?

better to buy a new 'berry then?

GQBalla
05-21-2009, 02:05 PM
a pin always stays with berry no matter what.

what happens is when you delete someone off your list the other persons berry (who you deleted) will no longer have you on their phone either.

they could still readd in the pin technically but ive gone through 4 berrys now and havent had any issues.

2 of them were used.

EK 2.0
05-21-2009, 02:07 PM
I had a small issue like this...

I gave my sister one of my old Berry's and 2 friends still for whatever reasons had my old PIN still saved...so they kept messaging her looking for me...until we sorted it all out...

dragonone
05-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Im surprised it's not a commom problem and there are tons of used berrys for sale. I found a good price for a bold but im debating if i want to deal with strangers pinning me esp. when i dont know what the previous owner used the phone for

adidas
05-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
Im surprised it's not a commom problem and there are tons of used berrys for sale. I found a good price for a bold but im debating if i want to deal with strangers pinning me esp. when i dont know what the previous owner used the phone for

lol i highly doubt ur gonna get a dealer phone for a 100 bux so nothin to worry about!

BlackArcher101
05-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Don't worry about it... if you get strangers Pinning you, just delete the contact and enable the firewall to block PIN's from anyone that's not on your list.

dragonone
05-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by adidas

lol i highly doubt ur gonna get a dealer phone for a 100 bux so nothin to worry about!

tru, bolds with pgp on them run over 1000. but they switch phones every couple months anyways so it's useless to them afterwards.

dragonone
05-26-2009, 09:35 PM
here's an insightful response i got from revscene:
"So, I figured out that bit. When you sell a berry to someone else, you have to login to your blackberry portal. (This is the same page when you setup your @rogers.blackberry.com email. Subsequently, this portal is owned and operated by RIM.)

When you have logged in you can actually add or remove email accounts associated with your PIN. You can also change the Blackberry device associated with your account which you can do by changing the devices PIN.

I have also found that the website will not let you delete your PIN associated with your Berry and leaving it blank. You have to put another PIN in its stead. For me, I had an old Berry that was not worth selling and switched the old Berry's PIN into the box.

That effectively releases the old PIN to be registered elsewhere. Given that the phone is unlocked. If you don't have another PIN number to swap into you can try calling Tech support and asking them to delete the PIN associated with your device/account. You cannot randomly insert numbers into the PIN box as the website searches the RIM database to see what PINS have been associated with what and will return you with an invalid PIN error.

If you don't release your PIN associated with your old account, the new owner will not be able to create their own @rogers.blackberry.com (or whatever carriers name) email account and they will still receive your emails.

A lot of websites/forums don't tell you this and just tell you to call Tech Support. But if you don't feel like dickin' around with the rep, then you may want to try this method first."