PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen Phaeton Resurfacing in N.A.?

flipstah
05-21-2009, 03:50 PM
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0708_2009_volkswagen_phaeton_coupe_spy_shots/index.html

It appears that Volkswagen is a glutton for punishment, as a test mule for the next Phaeton has been spotted running around. We're frankly surprised that the automaker is attempting a second round for the car at all, considering the pitiful sales of the first generation car. Nevertheless, VW is not only trying again, but they are expanding the model line to include a large coupe with folding hardtop, a la Mercedes-Benz SL.

Some say the newer VW will share underpinnings with the upcoming Porsche Panamera supersedan (coverage elsewhere in this feature). Others, however, are convinced that platform bits will be the same as the next Audi A6 and A8. Either way, the quality or source of the platform for the car itself isn't likely to be the biggest hurdle facing Vee Dub: it will be figuring out how to convince potential buyers to spend big money on a luxury car with a badge also found on economy cars.

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/features/news/6917486+w440/0708_z+2009_volkswagen_phaeton_coupe+rendering.jpg

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200811/2009-volkswagen-phaeton-16_460x0w.jpg

What do you guys think? Honestly, I'd rather get a Phaeton Sedan than the Panamera. That thing is just hideous. The Phaeton Coupe (if it'll happen) looks pretty cool too. :thumbsup:

bundi
05-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Phaeton coupe looks pretty good imo.

dino_martini
05-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Phaeton's are cheap as fuck used. The ghetto near my house has like 3.

Redlyne_mr2
05-21-2009, 06:39 PM
If they slash the price in half from the old version they might sell a few.

max_boost
05-21-2009, 06:51 PM
You know, it's nice but not $100K nice. :nut:

psycoticclown
05-21-2009, 08:16 PM
It's the same as selling a 100k luxury Toyota or a 100k luxury Honda... the name is what puts people off. Especially when Volkswagen has a luxury division already, like Toyota or Honda does. Why buy a luxury Toyota when you can get a Lexus or a luxury Honda when you can get an Acura? Same thing with VW.

The only thing that would help their sales is being SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper or amazing quality. Kinda like Hyundai's business strategy with the Genesis. Why buy a 100k VW when you can get an S class, 7 series, A8, XJ or even a Quattroporte for around the same money? It's all about the badge when it comes down to it.

TYMSMNY
05-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
It's the same as selling a 100k luxury Toyota or a 100k luxury Honda... the name is what puts people off. Especially when Volkswagen has a luxury division already, like Toyota or Honda does. Why buy a luxury Toyota when you can get a Lexus or a luxury Honda when you can get an Acura? Same thing with VW.

Is there anything with an Acura badge for $100,000?

VW will probably try to use the platform somehow. Why waste it? VW needs to expand their top end so that it'll appeal to a broader market. They need to internally produce something different and this is one of it. This probably won't sell anywhere else in the world.

psycoticclown
05-21-2009, 09:08 PM
No there isn't. Closest is the RL. But that was just an example.

Hell, even a 100k Acura or Infiniti would face tons of competition against the Audi, MB, BMW, Jaguar, Lexus etc fullsized luxomobiles. The RL was built to compete with the midsize luxury mobiles such as the 5 series, E class, etc and even that isn't doing very well in sales, as is the M class Infiniti's.

schocker
05-21-2009, 09:11 PM
It sold fine in europe, I doubt we will see it here:dunno:

flipstah
05-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Like some of you mentioned, the Phaeton's flaw is the badge which is a shame because the original Phaeton is such an elegant car.

In some aspects, the original Phaeton trumped what BMW, MB, Audi etc. offered at that time but that steep price was just a bit too much for the Beetle-lovin' crowd.

The coupe reminds me of a pretty Eos.

bundi
05-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Shit, didn't realize they were 100K.... I mean don't get me wrong, VW makes nice cars, and I think that car looks cool, but first thing I though when I saw it was that it was probably 40K fully loaded :P

I guess this is probably why they didn't sell...

95EagleAWD
05-22-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Is there anything with an Acura badge for $100,000?

There was. It certainly didn't sell all that well.

Redlyne_mr2
05-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

There was. It certainly didn't sell all that well.
And it was well over 100K during it's final years of production.

B4tMan
05-22-2009, 12:34 AM
what is the Phaeton ? Hard top convertible, just like EoS ?

nismodrifter
05-22-2009, 12:49 AM
^no. It's a baller sedan that they produced a little while ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Phaeton

Phaeton was mega pimp. An engineering marvel. The badge simply killed it. I haven't seen many on the road at all. When I do see one, total head turner for sure.

zipdoa
05-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
^no. It's a baller sedan that they produced a little while ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Phaeton

Phaeton was mega pimp. An engineering marvel. The badge simply killed it. I haven't seen many on the road at all. When I do see one, total head turner for sure.

I think the Top Gear episode on it explains why it is such an engineering marvel...

They designed it to 174mph all day, with the airconditioning on keeping the cabin below 72'F while it's 110'F outside or something crazy like that.

and you can boil a kettle inside and the windows don't get foggy.

and it goes 201mph.

pretty badass.

Aleks
05-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by bundi
Shit, didn't realize they were 100K.... I mean don't get me wrong, VW makes nice cars, and I think that car looks cool, but first thing I though when I saw it was that it was probably 40K fully loaded :P

I guess this is probably why they didn't sell...

You can load up a Jetta/Golf to close to $40K after tax :dunno: :banghead:

flipstah
05-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

I think the Top Gear episode on it explains why it is such an engineering marvel...

They designed it to 174mph all day, with the airconditioning on keeping the cabin below 72'F while it's 110'F outside or something crazy like that.

and you can boil a kettle inside and the windows don't get foggy.

and it goes 201mph.

pretty badass.

Correct! That's how I learned about the Phaeton and I thought it was bad-ass the first time I saw it. Although it went 201mph when they took out the limiter. But it's still hella quick at 160mph. :burnout:

I'm gonna have to check out the used section...

you&me
05-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by B4tMan
what is the Phaeton ? Hard top convertible, just like EoS ?

It's a Bentley Continental ;)

BTW, source for the Phaeton hitting 201? I call BS...

flipstah
05-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by you&me

It's a Bentley Continental ;)

BTW, source for the Phaeton hitting 201? I call BS...

We shit you not.

With the speed limited removed, the 6.0 W12 Phaeton can reach a top speed of 201mph as attested by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear; Clarkson said that it was "totally smooth and stable" even at that speed, and that even at 201 mph, he "still couldn't hear the engine".

http://wikicars.org/en/Volkswagen_Phaeton

If you still don't believe us, just search the episode featuring the Phaeton. :thumbsup:

el-nino
05-22-2009, 10:10 AM
It shares parts with the flying spur
Heres a pic of our Phaeton
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff222/mattykee/GetAttachment.jpg

you&me
05-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by el-nino
It shares parts with the flying spur
Heres a pic of our Phaeton
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff222/mattykee/GetAttachment.jpg

It shares the entire platform with the full Continental range (GT/GTC/FS).

Ashers
05-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Audi sells their version of it... the A8. There's something about the VW version that just seems better. I have always wanted one... complete with the V10 TDI.

tentacles
05-22-2009, 12:23 PM
The A8 is a completely different car. Chassis is aluminum instead of steel like the Phaeton/Bentley.

psycoticclown
05-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Not that many people know it is a chassis shared with the Continentals though. And its a farcry from a Bentley.

Redlyne_mr2
05-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Wow 201mph .. thats unreal, I wonder if the tires it came with could handle those speeds?

97'Scort
05-22-2009, 03:05 PM
I :love: W configuration engines!

nismodrifter
05-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Ashers
Audi sells their version of it... the A8. There's something about the VW version that just seems better. I have always wanted one... complete with the V10 TDI.

Totally agree. There is something about a Phaeton that makes it appealing to me, not exactly sure what it is but I want one really bad. Did we get the V10 TDI's here?

flipstah
05-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

There is something about a Phaeton that makes it appealing to me, not exactly sure what it is but I want one really bad.

Word. There's nothing alluring about it on the outside (it's actually pretty dull) but it makes me wanna sell our house and just live in the Phaeton.

nismodrifter
05-22-2009, 03:39 PM
You guys remember this classic write-up?

Photo tour of the transparent Phaeton factory:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1837641

Sample pic:
http://www.dubfoto.com/albums/userpics/10003/Assembly_Line.jpg

97'Scort
05-22-2009, 04:25 PM
^ Fun fact: floor is entirely made of Canadian Maple, if I recall correctly the Discovery Channel special on the factory

flipstah
05-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Another fun fact: Used W12 Phaeton's are effin' hard to find. :thumbsdow

psycoticclown
05-22-2009, 11:39 PM
How's the reliability of those Phaetons anyways. VW hasn't seemed to be really reliable recently, just wondering how reliable the W12 Phaetons are.

flipstah
05-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
How's the reliability of those Phaetons anyways. VW hasn't seemed to be really reliable recently, just wondering how reliable the W12 Phaetons are.

Judging by experience, the windows will suddenly open when you hit 65km :rofl: Those old Jetta's are full of electrical hilarity.

_JOtQ3m0kUY

Not a good first impression...

dino_martini
05-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Another fun fact: Used W12 Phaeton's are effin' hard to find. :thumbsdow

The W12 are hard to come by, but the V8 Phaeton has depreciated so hard. If the dollar wasnt so shitty it would be a great deal.

r3ccOs
05-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Phaeton's are cheap as fuck used. The ghetto near my house has like 3.

Are you sure about this?

I heard that they were lease only and ended up with some sort of mandated return policy perhaps it was specifically the W12

I haven't seen many or if any on the road in the last year or two

If they are "cheap" I'd be tempted to get one, I can recall them being built beyond an equivillently priced/spec'd E series

911fever
05-23-2009, 07:44 PM
not regarding this topic, I love your sig, OP

el-nino
05-23-2009, 08:41 PM
We got ours for 25gs. Has 52k on it.

dino_martini
05-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

Are you sure about this?

I heard that they were lease only and ended up with some sort of mandated return policy perhaps it was specifically the W12

I haven't seen many or if any on the road in the last year or two

If they are "cheap" I'd be tempted to get one, I can recall them being built beyond an equivillently priced/spec'd E series

I am 100% sure about this. If there was like a scale or chart, of modern luxury car bargains this would be at or near the top. The V8 one has depreciated so hard. Like I am not kidding about the ghetto housing unit near my house having 3 there.

psycoticclown
05-23-2009, 10:46 PM
^^:werd:

The V8 versions on ebay go for ~20k CDN after conversion for 05's and 30k for 06's. I paid more than that for my car of the same year... and my car is less than half the Phaeton's price new.