PDA

View Full Version : HDTV..without HDMI

5000Audi
05-22-2009, 02:27 AM
well i recently got a nice TV for free from a friend, its a 53 inch panisonic cinemavison rear projection TV, and it says on the front its a HDTV, but there is no HDMI hook ups.. It has the rca cables, also the blue green ones and the last one it has is a Digital? plug..So the question is how do i hook up HDTV without the HDMI cable plug?

here is a link i found that shows some details about the TV..

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/1180194730.html

lamp_shade_2000
05-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Use component video. Red Blue Green for video and then White and Red for audio.

Enhance
05-22-2009, 02:44 AM
It takes a DVI cable.. so if the bluray/HD receiver only uses HDMI you can use HDMI to DVI but you'll also need an audio cable (red & white). Or if the output has a DVi port you can just use a standard DVI cable + audio cable

anarchy
05-22-2009, 02:45 AM
HDMI is just one way to connect your television. I believe it provides you with the highest quality of picture and sound, and it has the convenience of combining both in one easy connection, but you can still get HDMI using component cables as lamp shade suggests.

DVI will also provide you with high definition.

brown_guy
05-22-2009, 02:59 AM
If you need a dvi to hdmi cable i got one $20 PM me that will be your best bet to get hdtv :)

Shunsui
05-22-2009, 03:05 AM
You can get one from memoryexpress or FF/BB, not to sure but maybe Visions might have some:thumbsup:

5000Audi
05-22-2009, 03:57 AM
cool thanks guys for the info, i tried googleing this shit but couldent find anything hard that i could go on, so i will be picking up a blueray player or PS3 this week so i can watch HD movies..

Super_Geo
05-22-2009, 07:14 AM
You have a projection TV, which is why you don't have HDMI in.

Projection TVs use an analog signal, HDMI/DVI is digital. You'll get a better picture out of component cables (Red/Blue/Green) than HDMI/DVI because component cables are analog.

So if you go HDMI/DVI, your TV will have to use its DAC (digital analog converter) before it can use the signal, which leads to loss of fidelity.

in*10*se
05-22-2009, 08:47 AM
monoprice.com

:closed:

UndrgroundRider
05-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
You have a projection TV, which is why you don't have HDMI in.

Projection TVs use an analog signal, HDMI/DVI is digital. You'll get a better picture out of component cables (Red/Blue/Green) than HDMI/DVI because component cables are analog.

So if you go HDMI/DVI, your TV will have to use its DAC (digital analog converter) before it can use the signal, which leads to loss of fidelity.

Don't listen to this guy, he has no idea what he's talking about.

Mitsu3000gt
05-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
well i recently got a nice TV for free from a friend, its a 53 inch panisonic cinemavison rear projection TV, and it says on the front its a HDTV, but there is no HDMI hook ups.. It has the rca cables, also the blue green ones and the last one it has is a Digital? plug..So the question is how do i hook up HDTV without the HDMI cable plug?

here is a link i found that shows some details about the TV..

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/1180194730.html

Just pick up a set of Compnonet video cables from monoprice.com and you are good to go.

jwslam
05-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Red/Blue/Green

YPbPr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr) outputs 720p

Mitsu3000gt
05-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

YPbPr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr) outputs 720p

You can do 1080P through component, just not from a blu-ray source due to the security/encryption stuff. That said, there aren't many other 1080p sources :D

Alterac
05-22-2009, 02:05 PM
720p is HD TV. 1080p is just better HD.

"720p is the shorthand name for a category of HDTV video modes."

"High Definition usually refers to 720 vertical lines of video format resolution or more."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

DeeK
05-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by anarchy
HDMI is just one way to connect your television. I believe it provides you with the highest quality of picture and sound, and it has the convenience of combining both in one easy connection, but you can still get HDMI using component cables as lamp shade suggests.

Not true, Component cables will give you even more definition than an HDMI can output (at least that's what the experts say in their "tests"). The only problem is that since HDMI is the new thing, the device manufacturers are pushing the sale of these ridiculously overpriced cables. How are they doing that? Let's take Blu-ray players for example, many of the manufacturers (sony as well, of course) have been scaling their component cables outputs down to a 720p signal, forcing the sale of an overpriced HDMI cable to get "true" 1080p. On the other hand many of the lower end models of blu-ray player that claim to be 1080p are actually just using line doublers to give a pseudo-1080p resolution.
It's crafty work. All I'm saying is that just because it claims to be hi-def, do some intense research. I'm still sticking with components on my tv as it looks better than the HDMI can output. Very very small difference, but in certain lights I can notice it.

ExtraSlow
05-23-2009, 07:20 AM
HDMI cables aren't overpriced if you buy from the right places. There is no pixie dust inside, just cable. Here's one for under six bucks.
High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified CL2 Rated (In-Wall Installation) Cable (24AWG) w/ Net Jacket - 5ft (Gold Plated Connectors) - BLACK (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=4966&seq=1&format=2)

And to the OP, just use component cables.

tictactoe2004
05-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by DeeK

Not true, Component cables will give you even more definition than an HDMI can output (at least that's what the experts say in their "tests"). The only problem is that since HDMI is the new thing, the device manufacturers are pushing the sale of these ridiculously overpriced cables. How are they doing that? Let's take Blu-ray players for example, many of the manufacturers (sony as well, of course) have been scaling their component cables outputs down to a 720p signal, forcing the sale of an overpriced HDMI cable to get "true" 1080p. On the other hand many of the lower end models of blu-ray player that claim to be 1080p are actually just using line doublers to give a pseudo-1080p resolution.
It's crafty work. All I'm saying is that just because it claims to be hi-def, do some intense research. I'm still sticking with components on my tv as it looks better than the HDMI can output. Very very small difference, but in certain lights I can notice it.

Do not take advice from this guy.

Component video can do 1080p but most manufacturers did not put 1080p inputs/outputs on their TV's or home theater equipment like bluray players. Xbox 360 and the majority of the Samsung TV's can handle 1080p resolution through component though, they are one of the exceptions.

HDMI does give a more accurate picture than component video. Accurate being the key word here, most people don't want to see visible grain on movies and shows.. this is why some people prefer component, because it's a softer picture and it hides a lot of the imperfections that you can see on the bluray disc.. Colour is fantasic on both.

All blurays are not 1080p. Bluray can only do 1080p if it's a 24 frame per second movie... If the bluray disc is in 30 or 60 frames per second it cannot be more than 1080i.. Either the player or your TV will scale it acordingly.

If you have a surround sound system and want to get Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master audio you need to use HDMI into your home theatre receiver to get the better quality sound.

HDMI can handle a lot more information than a component video cable ever could. A newer HDMI cable can handle true 120HZ (120 frames per second) at 1080p resolution while passing 8 channels of lossless audio (no compression like an MP3).

Monoprice cables work great. You can get away with cheap cables if they're short. If you need a 20+ foot cable for something like an over head projector, i'd suggest spending the money on a monster cable for that, because they do actually work better over longer distances...

If your TV is older and does not have HDMI, it only has DVI, you may run into problems with HDMI-->DVI adapters. I would suggest you just stay with component video.