PDA

View Full Version : Falsely accused cabbie sues accusers

tentacles
05-22-2009, 06:10 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2009/05/15/edmonton-cab-driver-lawsuit.html

Edmonton cabbie sues passengers over false assault allegations
Last Updated: Friday, May 15, 2009 | 12:26 PM MT Comments274Recommend204
CBC News
Edmonton cab driver Soner Yasa has filed a civil lawsuit against four young women who were passengers in his taxi in 2006. Edmonton cab driver Soner Yasa has filed a civil lawsuit against four young women who were passengers in his taxi in 2006. (CBC)

A veteran Edmonton taxi driver is speaking publicly about a civil lawsuit he filed last year against four young women who falsely accused him of sexual assault after travelling in his car three years ago.

"I just want to give those girls [a] lesson," Soner Yasa told CBC News. "We're so vulnerable as a cab driver."

The lawsuit, filed by Yasa in Edmonton's Court of Queen's Bench in April 2008, seeks about $240,000 in damages from the four women ($60,000 each) to cover emotional and mental distress. His allegations have not been proven in court. One of the four young women filed a statement of defence last month in which she admits to getting into Yasa's taxi but denies the rest of his allegations.

In April 2006, Yasa picked up the young women, all 19, along Whyte Avenue, a well-known strip of bars and restaurants in Edmonton. The girls were intoxicated, and trouble began when one of them tried to light up a cigarette, Yasa said. It is illegal to smoke in an Edmonton taxi cab, and Yasa told her to put out the cigarette or risk a $500 fine.

Just then, the girls demanded Yasa stop the cab, and they got out, refusing to pay the $13 fare. Then they accused Yasa of sexually molesting them, Yasa said. They called their friends, and Yasa soon was surrounded by what he calls a "mob." Both Yasa and friends of the four girls called police.

However, what happened in the taxi was caught on a video camera Yasa had installed inside his car after a passenger tried to assault him a couple of years before. Based on the video evidence of what happened in his cab, Yasa was not charged.

But he worries about what might have happened to his job and his marriage without that evidence.

"What would she do?" Yasa said of his wife. "She would have probably told me, 'There's the door, and get out.'"

According to a police report filed on the incident, one of the young women contacted police the next morning to say they were very sorry for the trouble she and her friends caused and that they would not be pursuing any charges.

The constable collected the $13 fare from the girls to pass on to Yasa. He took the money but gave it back the next day, because he wanted police to pursue charges against the girls. That didn't happen, so he filed the lawsuit.

While Yasa filed the lawsuit last year, he said he is going public with his story now to make people aware of how vulnerable taxi drivers are while they are on the job.

None of the young women named in the lawsuit responded to attempts by CBC News to contact them on Thursday. On Friday, one of the lawyers for the women said his client would not be speaking to the media about the lawsuit.

7thgenvic
05-22-2009, 06:14 PM
there should be a video of them

97'Scort
05-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Good. I hope they get nailed to the wall, if his video supports the story. They cried wolf, and got caught.

GQBalla
05-22-2009, 06:22 PM
wow if thats the real story i hope the cabbie wins!

Rat Fink
05-22-2009, 06:31 PM

Xtrema
05-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
there should be a video of them

http://www.cbc.ca/clips/mov/fralick-2-cabbie090515.mov

nadroj23
05-22-2009, 06:41 PM
I saw the video on the news the other day. The video does prove his side of the story, they got mad because he asked them not to smoke in his car.....

msommers
05-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by nadroj23
I saw the video on the news the other day. The video does prove his side of the story, they got mad because he asked them not to smoke in his car.....

Yep exactly! I hope he wins too, stupid broads need to learn their lesson. I think in the same segment on the news they mentioned some junior high chick that falsely accused a guy of rape, and nothing happened to her afterwords, it's fuckin bullshit.

nadroj23
05-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Yep exactly! I hope he wins too, stupid broads need to learn their lesson. I think in the same segment on the news they mentioned some junior high chick that falsely accused a guy of rape, and nothing happened to her afterwords, it's fuckin bullshit.

Ya I hope something get done about this, it is bulshit. I hope he wins and they have to pay up. Would teach a lesson to them and others thinking they can get away with calling rape when its a complete and utter fuckin lie.

tentacles
05-22-2009, 06:56 PM
The girls are real geniuses. So there's four of you grown women together in the cab with one cab driver?

If the cabbie accused THEM of rape I would believe it. :bigpimp:

adidas
05-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Such fucking bs!

Those snotty little brats need to be actually raped!

FiveFreshFish
05-22-2009, 07:07 PM
The girls will be out at least their legal fees, and probably an out-of-court settlement. :thumbsup:

Shogged
05-22-2009, 07:13 PM
what complete broads

finboy
05-22-2009, 07:35 PM
facebook pics?

mac_82
05-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Sluts. That is all.

gatorade
05-22-2009, 07:53 PM
usually I get mad when I see stupid lawsuits, but this one is totally legit, if he didnt have camera evidence maybe he would have been charged, cab drivers have to deal with stupid, drunk and hostile people all the time

BlackArcher101
05-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
The girls are real geniuses. So there's four of you grown women together in the cab with one cab driver?

That would be hilarious... however they didn't claim rape, they said sexual assault, big difference.

signature7
05-22-2009, 08:14 PM
I usually get mad with frivolous litigation as well (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_v._Chung) but this is legit and these bitches should be made an example of. I really hope he wins! Trying to ruin his life over nothing (putting your cigarette out), they need a cunt punt.

signature7
05-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

That would be hilarious... however they didn't claim rape, they said sexual assault, big difference.

agreed there is a difference but in the eyes of society, if he had been charged everyone would look at him in the same light as a rapist.

clem24
05-22-2009, 09:01 PM
So why won't the cops charge the girls for making false allegations? Is it because their girls? Not enough evidence? They guy has video of the whole fucking thing!!! :dunno:

The law has double standards and this kind of shit pisses me off. :banghead:

rx7boi
05-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Camera FTMFW. Bitches think they can lie and get away with it, even though alot of them do.

But damn, girl in front seat is hot. :love:

msommers
05-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi
Camera FTMFW. Bitches think they can lie and get away with it, even though alot of them do.

But damn, girl in front seat is hot. :love:

Until she goes to the police saying you drugged her drink and raped her last night. Down with lying sluts!

nismodrifter
05-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Stupid bitches deserve to be PWNT. If he didn't have the camera you can bet this guy would be in deep shit.

CUG
05-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Before I saw the video, I envisioned little whores like that, low and behold, there were little whores in the video.

gatorade
05-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by signature7
I usually get mad with frivolous litigation as well (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_v._Chung) but this is legit and these bitches should be made an example of. I really hope he wins! Trying to ruin his life over nothing (putting your cigarette out), they need a cunt punt.

Trial
On June 12, 2007, the trial began. Pearson broke down in tears during an explanation about his frustration after losing his pants, and a short recess had to be declared.[13

hahaahah wtf

SCHIDER23
05-23-2009, 05:17 AM
^^:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I remember this fagg, I couldn't believe it when he said that he was going to appeal the decision.

Anyway this cunts should be held responsible, man this guy got extremely lucky recording the whole incident.:eek:

5hift
05-23-2009, 10:42 AM
If this guy didnt have his own personal camera system set up, no one would have believed him.

He would have been charged, lost his job, probably his wife. He would have been all over the news with his pictures put up for everyone to see.

Without the video, the police would have charged him by just the claims of the girls, yet he has the video, and the police will not charge the girls, claiming not enough evidence of false claims?

:dunno:

FullMetal
05-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by clem24
So why won't the cops charge the girls for making false allegations? Is it because their girls? Not enough evidence? They guy has video of the whole fucking thing!!! :dunno:

The law has double standards and this kind of shit pisses me off. :banghead:

The cops are fucking blind some times to see the truth, but if u do some thing really small and dumb on the road they lay the whole nine yards of law on u... as to suped up cars

BerserkerCatSplat
05-23-2009, 11:03 AM
I hope he takes those whores to the fucking cleaners.

G-ZUS
05-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Bitches are probably crying now

van
05-23-2009, 01:14 PM
ha ha, the cabbie should be happy he has upskirt videos of those skanks

sexualbanana
05-23-2009, 11:54 PM
It would've gotten really interesting if he decided to let this get taken to court before releasing the tape.

BlackArcher101
05-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
It would've gotten really interesting if he decided to let this get taken to court before releasing the tape.

He probably would have been charged with obstruction then, lol.

clem24
05-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Well, you do know that in any case, both sides get key evidence before it is taken to trial... It's the discovery process. This way both sides can decide whether or not to pursue the case/charges. Maybe you watch too much TV?

Nusc
05-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by signature7

That dry-cleaning lawsuit was absolutely ridiculous. It was like $67,000,000 in damages or something insane.

Those poor dry-cleaners...

Super_Geo
05-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Why haven't their names been released? They were 19 when it happened...

Trini
05-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
I hope he takes those whores to the fucking cleaners.

:werd:

nasty bitches

5t3v3
05-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by FullMetal

The cops are fucking blind some times to see the truth, but if u do some thing really small and dumb on the road they lay the whole nine yards of law on u... as to suped up cars

Yah, 'cus they can't make $$$ that way. Lazy cops.

xecutivip
05-25-2009, 07:01 PM
a bunch of stuck up dumb cunts, i hope the cabbie wins

?????
05-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

Sexual assault includes a wide range of sexual contacts including rape. I've never heard of anyone getting charged with rape.

Hope the cab driver wins. :thumbsup:

gatorade
05-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by ?????

Sexual assault includes a wide range of sexual contacts including rape. I've never heard of anyone getting charged with rape.

Hope the cab driver wins. :thumbsup:

being charged with rape is almost as bad, even if you were completely innocent sometimes it ends up ruining a persons reputation

B4tMan
05-26-2009, 02:06 AM
updates ? what is the ruling

googe
05-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I think everyone is reading this wrong. The girls didn't try to do anything from what I understand. They called the next morning to apologize for being drunkasses and let them know they didn't actually intend to get anyone charged, before there was any talk of cameras or lawsuits. This cabbie is looking for a lame cash grab.

It would be different if they actually pursued it and backed out when they found out they were on video, but it wasn't like that at all. They sobered up and that was the end of it.

It was basically drunk talk that was cleared up by morning, so what. :dunno:

Super_Geo
05-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by googe
I think everyone is reading this wrong. The girls didn't try to do anything from what I understand. They called the next morning to apologize for being drunkasses and let them know they didn't actually intend to get anyone charged, before there was any talk of cameras or lawsuits. This cabbie is looking for a lame cash grab.

It would be different if they actually pursued it and backed out when they found out they were on video, but it wasn't like that at all. They sobered up and that was the end of it.

Nope, they got out of the cab and told people on the street that the cabbie had molested them. They also called the cops to have the guy arrested for molesting them.

The cabbie had to defend himself to the cops, and had to have them view the video to show that he hadn't done anything otherwise he would've been charged.

Nevermind the danger he faced from the lynch mob outside his cab. He had to lock himself in and call 911 as well.

w_man
05-27-2009, 10:18 AM

Fuck that ... 'drunk talk' is no excuse for this sort of shit. As the poster above mentioned it looks like the video was reviewed immediatly and not the next day AFTER they sobered up. I'm sure they were aware of the video and decided to blame it on 'drunk talk'.

I hate ppl writing off shit under the 'sorry i was drunk' excuse.

googe
05-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Well if this all happened the same night that's different. Then I would agree. But did it? Sounds like a busy night.

Did he just have a screen handy to hook the video up to on the spot or what?

5hift
05-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Nope, they got out of the cab and told people on the street that the cabbie had molested them. They also called the cops to have the guy arrested for molesting them.

The cabbie had to defend himself to the cops, and had to have them view the video to show that he hadn't done anything otherwise he would've been charged.

Nevermind the danger he faced from the lynch mob outside his cab. He had to lock himself in and call 911 as well.

:werd:

The girls recanted the next day because they were caught in their lies on video. If that cabbie hasnt locked himself in his car, the mob would have beat him. If he didnt scream he had it on video, I doubt the cops would have even given him a chance to try to explain.

If you look at what he could have lost had he not installed a security camera on his own accord, what he is asking for is more than fair.

SOAB
05-27-2009, 10:31 AM
the only one reading this wrong is googe.

this cabbie could've lost everything. his job, his wife, his reputation, everything! can you imagine losing everything because a couple stupid little sluts didn't want to pay a $13 cab fair??

the chicks deserve some jail time for falsely accusing the cabbie.

signature7
05-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Rs98x2zC6dg

Not sure if this is the same vid as OP but to Googe they did review everything in the same night according to this video.

I'm really pulling for this guy lol.

core_upt
05-27-2009, 03:12 PM
them saying sorry the next morning and chalking it up to being drunk and lippy isn't valid, camera or not.

If was the other way and the cabbie actually DID something, could he call up and say "sorry about grabbing your tits, you were pretty hammered, I'm sorry" do you think all would be forgiven? Fuck no!

The police didn't do shit for him, so good for him for suing - teach bitches a lesson for pulling this shit.

bubbley
05-27-2009, 03:26 PM
These whores should be gang banged in court

nismodrifter
05-27-2009, 03:37 PM
2nd time seeing this video, makes my blood boil. Bitches think they can get away with random shit like this??

The accusations that they made are NO JOKE and should be taken seriously. They called the police claiming they were sexually assaulted, something totally untrue, no charges laid against them for this???

Again, if there were no camera you can bet this poor guy would be sitting in a cell while these whores laugh it up.

:werd: to their names. Is there anyway to find out who they are?

5t3v3
05-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
2nd time seeing this video, makes my blood boil. Bitches think they can get away with random shit like this??

What makes my blood boil more is the fact that the cops wouldn't lay charges.
I mean really, COME ON!!! For once, there's something for the cops to do other than writing bullshit traffic ticket, and they won't do anything? Siiiigggghhhhhh......
1) refusing to pay the cabbie is against the law
2) trying to smoke in the cab is aginst the law
3) falsely accusing someone of crime is against the law

ALL THREE of which are on film!!! :nut: They don't even have to investigate anything.

Majestic12
05-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Maybe they offered to blow the cop if he let them walk.

sexualbanana
05-28-2009, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Well, you do know that in any case, both sides get key evidence before it is taken to trial... It's the discovery process. This way both sides can decide whether or not to pursue the case/charges. Maybe you watch too much TV?

I can imagine what would have happened if he mentioned the tape the next morning. The reason nothing really happened in this case was because the Cab Driver had told Police about the tape that night. If that had not happened, he more than likely would've gotten charged, and the girls would have had to officially file a charge. Thus, they may have gotten dinged with something along the lines of filing a false charge. I think this may be the reason why the Police decided not to pursue charges because they didn't file a complaint. From what I know of the law (which admittedly isn't much), the only charge they would have grounds for would be something similar to prank calling 911.

luxor
05-28-2009, 02:41 AM

WOW! Is this guy serious? Maybe you're drunk.

:facepalm:

szw
05-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by SOAB

this cabbie could've lost everything. his job, his wife, his reputation, everything! can you imagine losing everything because a couple stupid little sluts didn't want to pay a $13 cab fair??

He could have lost a lot but he didn't. In Canada can you really sue for things you "could have lost"?

Super_Geo
05-28-2009, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by szw

He could have lost a lot but he didn't. In Canada can you really sue for things you "could have lost"?

Yeah, it's called "Attempted Murder."

SOAB
05-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by szw

oh right. so let me come over and steal your car for a joyride all night. i'll leave it somewhere so the cops can find it. i can't get charged because you didn't lose your car. sound fair?

any woman that falsely accuses a man of rape or sexual assault should have the book thrown at her because he will lose everything. who will want to hire him at a decent job if they knew he was accused of something like that even though it was proved to be false?

szw
05-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Yeah, it's called "Attempted Murder."

LOL OK. I want to see the cabbie get a payday too but honestly I thought if there are no actual damages you can't sue for them in Canada like you could in the US.

szw
05-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by SOAB

oh right. so let me come over and steal your car for a joyride all night. i'll leave it somewhere so the cops can find it. i can't get charged because you didn't lose your car. sound fair?

any woman that falsely accuses a man of rape or sexual assault should have the book thrown at her because he will lose everything. who will want to hire him at a decent job if they knew he was accused of something like that even though it was proved to be false?

Jesus are you retarded? Why are you talking about being criminally charged when we are talking about a civil suit seeking compensation? When did I ever say the girls shouldn't be charged with something?

SOAB
05-28-2009, 09:01 AM
my point was "no harm no foul" right?

they weren't charged with anything. so why should they get away with what they did? i hope he wins so that women will know what accusations like this could do to a persons life and that it is not something to joke about, drunk or not.

tentacles
05-28-2009, 09:31 AM
The other thing to consider is that sexual assault is a crime that is always under-reported due to the social stigma. Any allegation of sexual assault is taken very seriously and the victim should be given the benefit of the doubt because many victims are afraid or ashamed to step forward.

Soooo..... making up an allegation of sexual assault is also pretty serious. Real rape victims really don't like that kind of thing.

scat19
05-28-2009, 09:50 AM

Would you file a law suit and stop them?

Didn't think so. :bigpimp:

luxor
05-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by szw

I guess you've never heard of defamation of character then, and yes you can sue for that.

Shogged
05-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by szw

He could go for libel or slander, both acceptable in this case.

szw
05-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by luxor

I guess you've never heard of defamation of character then, and yes you can sue for that.

You have to prove damages for slanderous defamation of character in Canada. That means you have to show what you actually lost because of the defamation to get awarded that amount. Go back to my question again.

Originally posted by Shogged

He could go for libel or slander, both acceptable in this case.

Not libel. See above.

CUG
05-30-2009, 12:15 PM
The other thing to consider is that sexual assault is a crime that is always under-reported due to the social stigma. Any allegation of sexual assault is taken very seriously and the victim should be given the benefit of the doubt because many victims are afraid or ashamed to step forward.

Soooo..... making up an allegation of sexual assault is also pretty serious. Real rape victims really don't like that kind of thing.
I almost think that a person falsely accused of Sex assault has it 10 times worse than someone who is actually sexually assaulted. At least if you got your balls cupped by a teacher, you can talk about it and work out of it. If you are accused of cupping someones genitals in an unwanted fashion, wow.. kill yourself.

nismodrifter
06-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Anyone heard of updates on this case or has it gone dead? Names released?

BokCh0y
06-23-2009, 09:58 PM
^^^^ :werd:

Updates?

BlackArcher101
06-23-2009, 10:33 PM
It's the legal system, it moves slow. Especially for civil lawsuits. It could be a year before we hear anything haha.