PDA

View Full Version : Havlat Layed out...

5000Audi
05-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Who all seen martin havlat get KO'ed in the first period?

what do you guys think of the hit and the 5+ a game call on the hit?

Jim Rome99
05-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Clean shoulder hit. Terrible call.

tjtd00
05-22-2009, 06:53 PM
totally clean hit. Absolute bullshit on the interference call puck was in his skates..no elbow. It shows the refs after the hit and NO arms were raised. Typical NHL bullshit.

5000Audi
05-22-2009, 06:56 PM
i agree with you guys, havlat should have had his head up..

shitty deal for the hawks because i pretty sure marty will be out for the rest of the playoffs... he was OUT COLD, in the one camera view you can see his eyes rolled back into his head.. pretty crazy

D'z Nutz
05-23-2009, 02:03 AM
I was out all evening, but I just youtubed it. It was a clean hit.

3KJm-qcnnC0

That's a big loss for the hawks. Hopefully the kids step up their game.

Scoobie2.5i
05-23-2009, 02:12 AM
agreed perfectly legal
they have let how many knee on knee hits go uncalled then make a bs call just because it was a big hit
too bad for the hawks, however im sure that kane and toews can keep it goin

rizfarmer
05-23-2009, 02:34 AM
YES! that's what i like to see. My pool is looking even better now

buh_buh
05-23-2009, 03:01 AM
that was such a bs penalty. There should've been no call.

88CRX
05-23-2009, 11:09 AM
It's a crappy play.... Havlat takes a quick peak looking for the puck and boom!

Did Havlat ever touch the puck?

Freeskier
05-23-2009, 11:52 AM
That call could have gone either way. A two minute may have been more appropriate, but like they were saying Kronwall has done this kind of big unsuspecting hit before. I'm all for big hits, but the receiving player should at least have a chance to brace for it instead of taking a huge should to the face.

vipstyle2
05-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Shoulda kept his head up !

gongSHOW
05-23-2009, 12:11 PM
It was a little bit a of a charge to be honest as he did leave his feet but I don't know how the hell they deciphered a Major for Interference. I think they more so called that to control the game, they didn't want the game to get out of hand.

CKY
05-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by gongSHOW
It was a little bit a of a charge to be honest as he did leave his feet but I don't know how the hell they deciphered a Major for Interference. I think they more so called that to control the game, they didn't want the game to get out of hand.

Don't think it woulda gotten outta hand for a minor, ejecting Kronwall was the controlling factor already. IMO Kronwall was hunting, Havlat had his down and no he didn't touch the puck. But theres no other way Kronwall trying to stand the blue line could have taken the puck when Havlat was skating in with speed, he had the puck in his skates.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Did Havlat ever touch the puck?

No, and that's precisely why the interference call was made.

Straight out of the rulebook:

Rule 67 Intereference

a) A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck.

(NOTE 2) Possession of the Puck:
The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

While Havlat was in the vicinity of the puck, he did not actually come into possession of it. Kronwall committed himself to the check before he knew whether Havlat played it or not, hence the call.

Keep in mind that the assessment of Major penalties as opposed to Minor ones is discretionary. Boarding, butt-ending, charging, checking from behind, clipping, cross-checking, elbowing, fighting, head-butting, hooking, interference, kneeing, slashing, and spearing can all be assessed Major infractions.

icky2unk
05-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

No, and that's precisely why the interference call was made.

Straight out of the rulebook:

Rule 67 Intereference

a) A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck.

(NOTE 2) Possession of the Puck:
The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

While Havlat was in the vicinity of the puck, he did not actually come into possession of it. Kronwall committed himself to the check before he knew whether Havlat played it or not, hence the call.

Keep in mind that the assessment of Major penalties as opposed to Minor ones is discretionary. Boarding, butt-ending, charging, checking from behind, clipping, cross-checking, elbowing, fighting, head-butting, hooking, interference, kneeing, slashing, and spearing can all be assessed Major infractions.

But even then it was borderline interference. If he fell down and no big scene was made, there would have been no call. The fact he got knocked out is why the call was made.

Personally I don't blame Kron was nailing him. It was a heads up play and the fact Havlat didn't touch the puck is stupid. He could have but was just a slight second off of touching it.

To me, this looks exactly like the Sarich hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPRWKOb7iV4

And that hit got a penalty on the opposing team, not the person making the hit.

5 minutes + game misconduct is stupid

icky2unk
05-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by CKY

Don't think it woulda gotten outta hand for a minor, ejecting Kronwall was the controlling factor already. IMO Kronwall was hunting, Havlat had his down and no he didn't touch the puck. But theres no other way Kronwall trying to stand the blue line could have taken the puck when Havlat was skating in with speed, he had the puck in his skates.

Do you watch hockey or even play. Your saying if your a big D and you have the chance in a game you are losing 2-0 to make a HUGE hit and swing momentum. You'd just make a nice little chip to keep the puck in or steal it? If you don't have the chance to make that huge hit, yes play the boards.

Get real.

Again, I make reference to the sarich hit, he could have swiped the fuck but he made the hit. And that hit, literally won them the game.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by icky2unk

But even then it was borderline interference. If he fell down and no big scene was made, there would have been no call. The fact he got knocked out is why the call was made.

Personally I don't blame Kron was nailing him. It was a heads up play and the fact Havlat didn't touch the puck is stupid. He could have but was just a slight second off of touching it.

Regardless of how you feel about them, the rules are pretty clear. I absolutely don't think the game misconduct was warranted, but it's simple to understand why it was within the referee's discretion to assess one.

Also, saying he was OK to hit because he was "a slight second off of touching it" doesn't hold water, because if you allow that then you would have to allow pre-emptive checks on pass receivers, as they would be "a slight second" away from becoming in possession of the puck as well. The interference and possession rules are laid out the way they are for a reason, and in this case it just happened to be Kron that wound up on the receiving end.

icky2unk
05-23-2009, 01:08 PM

Regardless of how you feel about them, the rules are pretty clear. I absolutely don't think the game misconduct was warranted, but it's simple to understand why it was within the referee's discretion to assess one.

Also, saying he was OK to hit because he was "a slight second off of touching it" doesn't hold water, because if you allow that then you would have to allow pre-emptive checks on pass receivers, as they would be "a slight second" away from becoming in possession of the puck as well. The interference and possession rules are laid out the way they are for a reason, and in this case it just happened to be Kron that wound up on the receiving end.

Thats funny, because if it was such a blaintly obvious interference, why didn't ANY of the refs call it when the hit was made. How does a hit that no refs make a penalty call on turn into a 5 min game misconduct.

And yes I am saying its okay to hit the guy if his intention was 100% to play the puck but he missed it (his fault). What your saying, is if I'm trying the move the fuck forward and see a d coming at me, I can just let the puck slide through my skates get hit and get a free 5 minute penalty on the opposing team. Do you ever see that happen? I can garuntee you that 90% of the time a small hit happens when the puck slides through the skate is not called as interference.

CKY
05-23-2009, 02:09 PM

Do you watch hockey or even play. Your saying if your a big D and you have the chance in a game you are losing 2-0 to make a HUGE hit and swing momentum. You'd just make a nice little chip to keep the puck in or steal it? If you don't have the chance to make that huge hit, yes play the boards.

Get real.

Again, I make reference to the sarich hit, he could have swiped the fuck but he made the hit. And that hit, literally won them the game.

I guess my paragraph was very poorly constructed there but I'm actually on Kronwall's side. I have no problems with that hit.

95teetee
05-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
It's a crappy play.... Havlat takes a quick peak looking for the puck and boom!

Did Havlat ever touch the puck? no he didn't. Cheap hit, definite penalty. 'Puck in skates' is not license to headhunt.

and why weren't they calling a penalty? Because it's the fucking Red Wings. I think we've all seen the officiating they get.

TorqueDog
05-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Bullshit call, and particularly the major/ejection. This season has been marred by the piss-poor officiating.

911fever
05-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Bullshit call, and particularly the major/ejection. This season has been marred by the piss-poor officiating.

agreed. Absolute nonsense of a call, he didn't even headhunt, Havlat had his head down.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-23-2009, 09:20 PM

Thats funny, because if it was such a blaintly obvious interference, why didn't ANY of the refs call it when the hit was made. How does a hit that no refs make a penalty call on turn into a 5 min game misconduct.

And yes I am saying its okay to hit the guy if his intention was 100% to play the puck but he missed it (his fault). What your saying, is if I'm trying the move the fuck forward and see a d coming at me, I can just let the puck slide through my skates get hit and get a free 5 minute penalty on the opposing team. Do you ever see that happen? I can garuntee you that 90% of the time a small hit happens when the puck slides through the skate is not called as interference.

The referees and linesmen looked plenty busy keeping a fight from breaking out, penalty assessments always happen after the BS is over.

By the letter of the rules, yes, a defenseman could let the puck slide by. However, you seem to think that somehow that would cause a major penalty in all cases and I'm not sure why that is. This was obviously a special case as it was a particularly hard hit that fell under the interference rule. You can't paint every situation with the same brush.

911fever
05-23-2009, 10:48 PM

The referees and linesmen looked plenty busy keeping a fight from breaking out, penalty assessments always happen after the BS is over.

haha that's simply not true.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

haha that's simply not true.

In what way?

cam_wmh
05-24-2009, 11:14 PM

In what way?

Because the Ref's weren't busy doing anything, except evaluating post-whistle play.

It's the linesmen who break up the fights. The referee's stand back and assess penalties.

Absolute bullshit call. See the look on Brad Stuart's face after he heard that Kronwall was ejected. Just a snide laugh at the brutal call.

While he Havlat didn't physically touch the puck, being one of the best puckhandlers in the league, he would've known he was in possession.

Quizzes
05-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Totally clean hit and a bullshit call by the refs.

At least it makes up for the Mike Brown-Jiri Hudler hit. Exact same play, exact same situation, exact same 5min interference and game misconduct. At least the refs are consistent in making bad calls this time (against the Red Wings, no less).