PDA

View Full Version : To make a bike street legal

ubernewb
05-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Well im planning to buy a bike that has been modifided into a streetfigher as there cheaper and some of them look pretty rad...

so i was wondering what does a bike need to make it street legal in calgary...

as well how big are the hoops you have to jump through to get a bike from the states

bjstare
05-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Go to any place that does out of province inspections and ask them what you need for it. It will need all the right reflectors and signal lights (no undertail kit, etc), as well as it will have to pass a mechanical inspection. If your importing a bike you want to find one as close to stock as possible, otherwise i can almost guarantee you'll run into some sort of problem. For the federal inspection it has to have DRLs (which almost every bike has) and it has to be able to display your speed in km/h for the, so if it has a digital speedo make sure you can change it from mph to km/h (some you cant, like my 2001 r1, in which case you'll have to buy a new gauge cluster). Getting the bike into the country isn't hard, you just have to do the paperwork with RIV and the border crossing you plan on coming through. I've picked up both the bikes i've imported, so i'm not sure what the shipping and brokerage fees would be like if your not there to pick it up.

At the end of the day, your biggest hurdle will be passing the OoP inspection. Make sure you are budgeting an extra $500 to make a streetfighter pass that.

Edit: Theres a lot more than just the signals and a mechanical inspection for the OoP, those are just the most obvious things.