PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Chin Ups?

mazdavirgin
05-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Just curious but I am seeing more and more people do these absolutely bizarre swinging monkey chin ups... Now whenever I do my chin ups I slowly pull up and slowly go back down until I am nearly fully extended keeping my core tight. I don't swing and I don't sway.

So I am quite perplexed by people who seem to be swinging on purpose for their chin ups? What exactly is the point? Some of these guys are swinging up and down hard enough that I almost expect the rack to start lifting off on one edge... I can't make any sense of it and I am now seeing more and more people doing the exercise this way. Not just the guidoes but hell even some of the old gray folk are now swinging like monkeys.

So has the whole world gone mad or have I been living under a rock and doing the exercise the old school way?

A790
05-24-2009, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
Just curious but I am seeing more and more people do these absolutely bizarre swinging monkey chin ups... Now whenever I do my chin ups I slowly pull up and slowly go back down until I am nearly fully extended keeping my core tight. I don't swing and I don't sway.

So I am quite perplexed by people who seem to be swinging on purpose for their chin ups? What exactly is the point? Some of these guys are swinging up and down hard enough that I almost expect the rack to start lifting off on one edge... I can't make any sense of it and I am now seeing more and more people doing the exercise this way. Not just the guidoes but hell even some of the old gray folk are now swinging like monkeys.

So has the whole world gone mad or have I been living under a rock and doing the exercise the old school way?
I believe it's part of a crossfit routine.

mazdavirgin
05-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by A790

I believe it's part of a crossfit routine.

Looks like you are correct :) I even found a video in case anyone wonders what kind of crack I am smoking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAZaHzd6qAY

:rofl:

TurboD
05-24-2009, 07:28 PM
for people that cannot pull up their bodyweight...... and girls

slow and controlled > fast and jerky

if you have to jerk your body up like that just go back to the supported chin up machine until you're strong enough to do them properly.

bradwatson
05-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by TurboD

Not necessarily. Although doing 10 Kipping Pull-ups may be "easier" than doing 10 Traditional Pull-ups, the Kipping Pull-ups are used as a part of a larger exercise routine. The idea is that they are used between other exercises, and you would usually do more Kipping Pull-ups compared to traditional pull-ups. One of the main benefits is the maintenance of an elevated heart rate. Doing Kipping Pull-ups give you a different type of workout compared to Traditional Pull-ups for this reason.

In my opinion, neither is "better," they are just used for different purposes.

lint
05-25-2009, 10:27 AM

slow and controlled > fast and jerky

if you have to jerk your body up like that just go back to the supported chin up machine until you're strong enough to do them properly.

different exercises for different goals, has nothing to do with weakness or girls

buh_buh
05-25-2009, 01:12 PM
I've seen someone fly off the bar doing swinging pullups at the University gym. It was pretty funny.

TurboD
05-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by lint

different exercises for different goals, has nothing to do with weakness or girls

what is the goal of monkey pull ups?
please share

increased heart rate? do 20 normal chin ups and tell me your heart is idle.

the goals are the same, the only difference is when you do monkey pull ups you are cheating by swinging and using technique to avoid having to use the entire muscle range to pull your body up.

its like doing situps with springs under your back and bouncing up rather than using your lack of muscle.

its like bouncing the bench press bar off your chest for a head start pushing it back up.

you are only using half your muscle range.

RT16V
05-25-2009, 11:08 PM

please share

the goals are the same, the only difference is when you do monkey pull ups you are cheating by swinging and using technique to avoid having to use the entire muscle range to pull your body up.

its like doing situps with springs under your back and bouncing up rather than using your lack of muscle.

its like bouncing the bench press bar off your chest for a head start pushing it back up.

LOL - I love the cheating argument, it always comes up when debating the kipping pull-ups but I can see how it does come to mind when training in traditional methods.

The goal is increased power out-put. If you can do 20 pull-ps before fatigue in 30 seconds, you will be able to do more kipping pullups in the same time frame and develop great overall power output (ie: Work/Time). The development of increased power out-put has been found to deliver wide ranges of benefits - strength being one.

There are also other reasons this style of pull-up is somtimes used in Crossfit programming such as the development and recruitment of the entire posterior chain, which carries over to successful execution of many olympic lifts (clean, snatch etc.)

It's really about the difference between isolation movements and multi-joint 'functional' movements of which Crossfit programming is founded on.

As for your analogy of the springs on a sit-up - well, it might be close if the force in the spring was somehow generated by your body - or gravity.

KeepItGully
05-25-2009, 11:14 PM

You do know that this myth has been proven false.

lint
05-26-2009, 12:05 AM

please share

press, push press, jerk
snatch, power snatch, muscle snatch
clean, power clean
deadlift, romanian deadlift, stiff leg deadlift, rack pull

should I go on?

TurboD
05-26-2009, 12:11 AM
show me a pro power lifter that trains using the monkey pull up method.

you will only find footage of half wit teenage bandwagon jumpers doing this

case closed

:)

"press, push press, jerk
snatch, power snatch, muscle snatch
clean, power clean
deadlift, romanian deadlift, stiff leg deadlift, rack pull"

i would only give these credibility if the person doing monkey pull up was doing them with 30% of their body weight or more strapped on while doing them.

ape pull ups, none of this bs monkey business

here is another thing, if your training to do a kip, DO A KIP, a pull up is a KIP FAIL

if you want to do a proper kip and want to truely train your upward momentum you should finish with the bar at your hips in support position.

that is the proper way and what the movement is aimed at doing.

if you kip to chin height you are failing.
a kip is meant to provide more momentum than you could get by just pulling your body slowly, its meant to make it easier to go PAST chin height.

go watch a gymnastics session and see if the gymnast does a kip to chin height and then falls back down to a hang, NO, they kip to support and from support can move into hand stand or a cast.

1-Bar
05-26-2009, 12:25 AM
bah, just copy this guy and you're good to go :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDol_XooSJI

lint
05-26-2009, 12:29 AM

case closed

:)

Not sure if you're heard of this half wit teenage bandwagon jumper by the name of Konstantin Konstantinov who deadlifts over 430kg
boLl8rGhJvE

This next guy must be the biggest half wit on the planet! (examples at 2:17 and 2:23)
lgDj-Gbcig0

CASE FUCKING CLOSED!!:rofl:

RT16V
05-26-2009, 09:14 PM

The only other post I will make on this subject:

The goals of a power lifter and a Crossfitter are not the same. Why would they train the same.

TurboD
05-26-2009, 10:57 PM

Not sure if you're heard of this half wit teenage bandwagon jumper by the name of Konstantin Konstantinov who deadlifts over 430kg

CASE FUCKING CLOSED!!:rofl:

props for posting vids to back up your debate.

:thumbsup:

CMW403
05-27-2009, 10:46 AM

props for posting vids to back up your debate.

:thumbsup:

props for getting your ass handed to you and congratulating your owner

TurboD
05-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

props for getting your ass handed to you and congratulating your owner

props for trolling the boards and not inputting any information but instead just flaming for no reason.

A790
05-27-2009, 05:10 PM
:facepalm:

lint
07-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Thought I'd post this up here, since that half wit teenage bandwagon jumper by the name of Konstantin Konstantinov doing monkey pull ups just broke the world RAW deadlift record (no belt)

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/11830

Deadlift
wh-ikyBAQr8&e
Squat
M-c1KjqBObI&e
Bench
b9qca-qK6UE&e

TurboD
07-09-2009, 09:52 PM
i see what you're saying....

monkey pull ups directly influenced his muscles to allow him to lift those weights, right....

if anything the monkey pull ups are a warmup or a stretching exercise, not a strength building exercise.

monkey pullups train the muscles for endurance and doing mass amounts of reps, thoes videos you posted are one rep max videos,

TOTALLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO PROVE

lint
07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
i see what you're saying....

monkey pull ups directly influenced his muscles to allow him to lift those weights, right....

if anything the monkey pull ups are a warmup or a stretching exercise, not a strength building exercise.

monkey pullups train the muscles for endurance and doing mass amounts of reps, thoes videos you posted are one rep max videos,

TOTALLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO PROVE

You seriously get dumber and dumber every time you post. History lesson, you run your mouth about what is and what isn't an exercise. Then you run it some more and make the bold statement that no pro power lifter would ever train like that. So to shut you up (or so I thought) I show you video evidence of one such pro power lifter doing kips. This is a follow up to that showing how this pro power lifter just broke the world record for the raw deadlift.

You talk some serious big shit for a douche who hasn't been in the iron game for very long. Instead of pretending like the expert you're not, maybe you should read up at sites other than bb.com. You just might learn something.

TurboD
07-09-2009, 11:01 PM

You seriously get dumber and dumber every time you post. History lesson, you run your mouth about what is and what isn't an exercise. Then you run it some more and make the bold statement that no pro power lifter would ever train like that. So to shut you up (or so I thought) I show you video evidence of one such pro power lifter doing kips. This is a follow up to that showing how this pro power lifter just broke the world record for the raw deadlift.

You talk some serious big shit for a douche who hasn't been in the iron game for very long. Instead of pretending like the expert you're not, maybe you should read up at sites other than bb.com. You just might learn something.

you can tell someone has no rebuttal when they resort to name calling and personal attacks.
its funny how upset you get that someone else has an opinion.

what i meant was no powerlifter needs this useless exercise nor does it help with their lifts.

you are the one that needs to read up on how to train muscles to do one rep max.

lol @ iron game
and lol at talking serious shit, this is weight training 101
light weight and lots of reps = endurance, low rep and big weight = powerlifts

lint
07-09-2009, 11:42 PM
you can tell someone has no rebuttal when they resort to name calling and personal attacks.
its funny how upset you get that someone else has an opinion.

what i meant was no powerlifter needs this useless exercise nor does it help with their lifts.

You can tell someone has no rebuttal when they resort to changing their story when they get served. This is what you actually said:

case closed
and

i would only give these credibility if the person doing monkey pull up was doing them with 30% of their body weight or more strapped on while doing them.
How about with an additional 44% of his body weight for 4 reps?
Rvv7f8O62Sw

you are the one that needs to read up on how to train muscles to do one rep max.

lol @ iron game

Your ignorance is seriously astounding. You really believe you know more about lifting than a man who can deadlift 939lbs and do 55 kipping pullups at 300lbs bodyweight? Keep digging your hole

Power_Of_Rotary
07-10-2009, 12:48 AM
wow thats intense... his own body weight must of been atleast 240

Oz-
07-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
wow thats intense... his own body weight must of been atleast 240

275 or so.

He is a freak of nature, if you watch other lifters do serious weight. Not many of them look down and have rounded shoulders like he does.

broken_legs
07-10-2009, 07:15 AM

lol @ iron game

pull ups are not an endurance exercise. Do you know anyone who can endure doing pull ups for more than 2 minutes?

That's like saying that body weight squats are an endurance exercise.

Running is an endurance exercise.
Swimming is an endurance exercise.

Get it?

TurboD
07-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

pull ups are not an endurance exercise. Do you know anyone who can endure doing pull ups for more than 2 minutes?

That's like saying that body weight squats are an endurance exercise.

there are videos posted earlier in this thread of people doing monkey pullups for more than 2 minutes.

and i would consider body weight squats to be an endurance exercise.

get it?

Oz-
07-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I had hope in TurboD for about .003 of a second, but the continued ignorance and refusal to think that anything other then he has read or thinks is right. Just puts the nail right into the coffin for any hope I had.

Good luck in your quest to stop looking like a terradactyl or whatever it is they called you in high school. Maybe in a few years when you still look the same, you may begin to realize that there are many training styles and not all work for everyone out there.

benyl
07-10-2009, 09:59 AM

there are videos posted earlier in this thread of people doing monkey pullups for more than 2 minutes.

and i would consider body weight squats to be an endurance exercise.

get it?

Actually, the 55 rep video is 1 minute and 38 seconds...

:facepalm:

Orbie
07-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Wow, you harp on lint for having no rebuttal because he resorts to name calling and personal attacks, so when he posts a great reply back with quotes from you/video and valid points you completely ignore it? nothing says no rebuttal then literally not having one.

max_boost
07-10-2009, 11:23 AM

LOL

:rofl: :clap:

civic_rida
07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Would never want to have a body like the dude in the videos

GQBalla
07-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida

+1

he is a powerful guy though

why doesn't TurboD post pics of himself? (of using that stupid trap bar for his deads)

Big Daddy G
07-10-2009, 02:09 PM

Just curious, why not? Is there a specific body type you are after?

civic_rida
07-10-2009, 02:34 PM
not really into the powerlifter or strongman body type.

max_boost
07-10-2009, 03:28 PM
not really into the powerlifter or strongman body type.

Since you don't squat you don't have to worry about that. :rofl:

TurboD
07-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

why doesn't TurboD post pics of himself?

lol, this thread went from a monkey pullup debate to asking for pics of me with no clothes on.

pm me ;)

key points of this thread:

-kipping pullups will not make you a power lifter
-kipping pullups are not necessary in training to be a power lifter
-kipping pullups will not help your one rep max lifts
-kipping pullups are cheating
-kipping pullups are useless
-slow and controlled movements own kipping pullups

and im suprised how closely some of you follow my posts and read my replies. hats off to you for that effort to learn more about me.

leave the monkey chinups to the monkeys and leave the normal chinups to the real men

GQBalla
07-10-2009, 04:32 PM

lol, this thread went from a monkey pullup debate to asking for pics of me with no clothes on.

pm me ;)

and im suprised how closely some of you follow my posts and read my replies. hats off to you for that effort to learn more about me.

leave the monkey chinups to the monkeys and leave the normal chinups to the real men

rawr but when did i say nekkid?

TurboD
07-10-2009, 04:34 PM
i was assuming you didn't want to see pictures of me in a winter jacket.

but i could leave on some gitch for the photos

GQBalla
07-10-2009, 04:36 PM
i was assuming you didn't want to see pictures of me in a winter jacket.

but i could leave on some gitch for the photos

pics of winter jacket please

A790
07-10-2009, 11:10 PM

pm me ;)

Dude, stop being a bloody troll. Jesus.

TurboD
07-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by A790

Dude, stop being a bloody troll. Jesus.

Contrary to popular belief, many trolls are actually quite intelligent. Their habitual attacks on forums is usually a result of their awareness of the pretentiousness and excessive self-importance of many forum enthusiasts. As much as people may hate trolls, they are highly effective - their actions bring much of the stupidity of other forum users out into the great wide open.

benyl
07-12-2009, 09:17 AM

Contrary to popular belief, many trolls are actually quite intelligent. Their habitual attacks on forums is usually a result of their awareness of the pretentiousness and excessive self-importance of many forum enthusiasts. As much as people may hate trolls, they are highly effective - their actions bring much of the stupidity of other forum users out into the great wide open.

How ironic.

max_boost
07-12-2009, 11:31 AM

I don't know if I can call GTS_Jeff a troll but he did a great job of laying the smackdown on the n00bs. You on the other hand have been served so many times I don't know why you even bother. :dunno:

Originally posted by benyl

How ironic.

Indeed. :facepalm:

pinoyhero
08-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Lol just read through this baby, awesome banter. Comment of thr year, pics of winter jacket please, haha