PDA

View Full Version : Hydration and energy

Vagabond142
05-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Well, I just got me a decent little MEC Mountain Fountain-Standard hydration pack for my distance rides. 2L capacity, keeps water damned cold for a long time. I also like to pack along a homemade granola + fruit bar for energy and carbs during my rides.

Just wondering what all you long term trailriders/distance road riders/highway riders/crazy downhillers use for your hydration (and potentially energy) needs.

Adrenaline101
05-24-2009, 03:59 PM
A 3L camel filled with G2. Dont know why but its got to be my favourite riding companion. I mix it 3/4 g2 and 1/4 water or ice to water it down and keep the sugary taste down.

I use a pretty small pack for my camel and food so I like to bring small things like soft chewy snack bars, preferably something with a good amount of nuts and fruit. If I'm going for a longer ride a PB&J is a nice halfway treat.

Im still yet to break out any nutrient cubes or anything like that. But I'm not back in shape enough for hardcore rides yet either.

Vagabond142
05-24-2009, 05:44 PM
hmmm... PB&J sounds nice :) I would probably rock a PB&Ban tho, extra protein there :D

I've never really felt the benefit of Gatorade, although I guess once you start going hardcore there is a benefit in the sodium and glucose it replaces

D'z Nutz
05-24-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm still waiting for my hydration bag (http://www.crumplerbags.com/Lite/English/Products/The-Bumpler-Issue-BI02A.html) to arrive. I'm sure there's some better choices out there, but I'm a Crumpler whore (this being my 5th one) :rofl:

I usually pack something like a banana or some other fruit for a snack if I'm going out for a bit of a lengthy ride, but I've just started making my bike rides a bit longer so I'm going to be adding a lot more PBJ to my diet shortly :drool:

Mitsu3000gt
05-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I use a Camelbak Mule (3L) and its awesome. I just fill it with ice and water. For food on long rides, I usually bring Cliff Bars or Hammer bars, and Cliff Electrolyte Gels are great, you just chew them and drink water after. They have a bit of caffeine in them too which is perfect.

For you guys filling your packs with Gatorade, does it stain it or anything?

Adrenaline101
05-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Ive used gatorade alot in my past 2 camelbaks and Ive never had it stain them at all. But I find if you arent going to be using it for a few days or so after you run it empty from having gatorade or something else with sugar in it, that its best to fill it and empty it a few times with water to rinse it out so theres no sticky build up around the filler cap (makes it an incredible pain to open after) and in the tube.

These past few weeks I dont think my camelbak has ever been empty, just kept filling it and fridging it for the night.

As for those gels. How much caffeine do they contain and can you get them without caffeine? unfortunately the past 2 years I havent been able to drink or eat anything with caffeine in it. bothers my stomach something fierce for some reason.

oh..and if anyone is ever in need of a extra 3L camelbak omega water bag ive got a spare that was barely ever used and ive upgraded so it just sits in a box.

Despair*
05-24-2009, 10:08 PM
I have a few hydrations packs myself. I have a Dakine Apex (3L) that I use for longer biking trips to K country, biking trips (Moab) etc, A Dakine Shuttle (2L) for shorter recreational riding around the city, fish creek, and a Camelback Mayhem (3L) for intermediate length rides. Usually I will fill mine with just water and ice. If i'm out riding in FC I usually don't pack a snack as I'm not out long enough. However for longer trips to K country, I will usually pack a lunch with sandwiches, trail mix, granola snack bars, gatorade). That's really all I can think of. Hydration packs are definately awesome for toting a bit of food around so you don't run out of energy if you start feeling drained along with some gear.

Mitsu3000gt
05-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Adrenaline101
As for those gels. How much caffeine do they contain and can you get them without caffeine? unfortunately the past 2 years I havent been able to drink or eat anything with caffeine in it. bothers my stomach something fierce for some reason.

They are called "Cliff Blocks". Some of them have caffiene, some don't. There are 6 blocks in a pack and 3 blocks is one serving, containing 50mg of caffiene. Some flavors have 25mg of caffiene per serving. Now that I have looked on their website, I think the flavor I bought didn't even have caffiene lol - it was all in my head I guess. They are mostly carbs, and they are designed to replenish your electrolytes as well. You need to drink water right after you eat them. During one of the 20km climbs in Fruita, I would just stop every now and then and down some water and cliff blocks and it kept me going. They taste really good too.

trevh
05-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Road Cycling,
I carry two bottles of water, I find this amount perfect! typically i'll also carry a banana with me and eat it when I'm about 60 km into my ride, provides me with what I need while riding.
If I ride hard and have something else to eat while on the highway (other then a banana) I tend to burp during an intense climb.

If I have gone far, I'll come home and mix up a dietary energy supplement for recovery. It helps me accelerate my body's recovery process after an intense ride. It contains zero caffeine.

Trev

Vagabond142
05-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I like to munch on an apple, a banana or an orange when I get home from my rides. Lots of vitamins and proteins to recover with :)

trevh
05-25-2009, 04:03 PM
:werd:

syeve
05-25-2009, 04:12 PM
I stick to water mostly, I find any food really hampers my riding.

I pack some sharkies and like 30 jellybeans (what the pro's use :) ) Instant sugar and don't make you feel like you're going to barf.

bspot
05-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Anyone else have massive hydration problems? If I do anything where I'm going to sweat intensely (usually sports involving protective equipment) I'm toast.

I played street hockey as a goalie for 4 hours Satureday and had about 7L of water and gatorade over those 4 hours and still didn't have to piss. By the end of the day I was up to 10L of water/gatorade and was finally pissing on a regular basis, but it was too late and already had a MONSTER dehydration headache. They are the worst, and I get them semi frequently.

Vagabond142
05-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by syeve
I stick to water mostly, I find any food really hampers my riding.

I pack some sharkies and like 30 jellybeans (what the pro's use :) ) Instant sugar and don't make you feel like you're going to barf.

Query: Sharkies?

syeve
05-25-2009, 04:34 PM
^^easy to carry, light and don't make you feel sick while at your at anaerobic heart rates. I usually just stick to water and jellybeans though :)

http://www.sharkiesinc.com/

They sell them at the bike shop.

syeve
05-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Anyone else have massive hydration problems? If I do anything where I'm going to sweat intensely (usually sports involving protective equipment) I'm toast.

I played street hockey as a goalie for 4 hours Satureday and had about 7L of water and gatorade over those 4 hours and still didn't have to piss. By the end of the day I was up to 10L of water/gatorade and was finally pissing on a regular basis, but it was too late and already had a MONSTER dehydration headache. They are the worst, and I get them semi frequently.

You need to drink something with salt in it AND hydrate BEFORE you start working out. Trying to stay hydrated during activities is really hard. Try to start elevated water consumption the day before. When you get really bad headaches and muscle cramping its called "bonking". Basically you need to stop doing what you're doing, eat (salts and sugars) and hydrate or you can get pretty sick. I have bonked on rides pretty bad and taken three days off work to recover. :barf:

Vagabond142
05-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Oooo... might have to look into sharkies. Sound like a nice way to "cheat" on my diet by having "candy." (although they're more appropriately called Energy Chews)

Also, as Jelly Beans (generic ones, at least) are super bloody cheap to buy, what is the advantage of them, apart from being made almost entirely of refined sugar?

syeve
05-25-2009, 05:45 PM
^^it was more a trial and error type deal. I tried eating say a banana and some energy drinks but they just made me feel like shit. I only eat say 10 jbeans on a 4 hour ride. Most of my nutrients and hydration is consumed pre-ride. I find I ride faster without the bonk.

I would try to limit your "stops" and just slow your riding if you start to feel out of beath. If you do stop make it brief and just pound a few jbeans. I use to stop like 3 times on most of my rides and I found I kept HAVING to make stops. Finally I just rode through the pain and now I don't even think about stopping. With proper nutrition and hydration pre-ride you should be up in the 3 hour range without stopping after one season of hard riding.

Kennyredline
05-26-2009, 09:36 AM
If I'm going mountain biking, and I know it's gonna be really hot, I'll throw my backpack bladder in the freezer overnight, and take it out when I get up. By the time I get ready, load the car, drive to the trailhead, and need to take a drink, enough is thawed out that I can drink it, and it's super cold.

syeve
05-26-2009, 11:26 AM
^^AND it keeps your back nice and cool.

bksze
05-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
If I'm going mountain biking, and I know it's gonna be really hot, I'll throw my backpack bladder in the freezer overnight, and take it out when I get up. By the time I get ready, load the car, drive to the trailhead, and need to take a drink, enough is thawed out that I can drink it, and it's super cold.

careful there's no liquid in the straw part . . . i split my elbow connection to the bladder in my camelbak because i froze it with water inside . . .

core_upt
05-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
I like to munch on an apple, a banana or an orange when I get home from my rides. Lots of vitamins and proteins to recover with :)

?? There isn't (hardly) any protein in fruit? Might want to put back a protein shake with your fruit - together they will give you some vitamin, minerals, carbs and protein.

I'm not sure how they compare price wise to bike shops, but compared to the running room Mountain Equipment Coop is WAY cheaper for Cliff Bars, Shot Blocks, Sharkies, etc.

Vagabond142
05-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Core_upt: Bananas have lots of protein. And I can't afford protein shake mix. I r t3h poor ._. I gotta make do with what I can get my hands on :dunno:

core_upt
05-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Core_upt: Bananas have lots of protein. And I can't afford protein shake mix. I r t3h poor ._. I gotta make do with what I can get my hands on :dunno:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

They don't. But your second comment is totally valid - Samson's Supplements on 4th St has a sale on the first Tuesday of every month - If you can get a few lbs of quality protein for around $40, it will last a month or two - it's cost up front, for sure, but the long term protein/serving/dollar is actually pretty damn good.

If not, banana's are still a great post bike snack.

Adrenaline101
05-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Just a heads up.
Shoppers Drug Mart has the 68g Clif bars in all flavors on for 10 for $10 , regular 2.50. not sure how much everyone usually pays but thats pretty cheap in any case.
Its in the flyer so should be at any shoppers.

Lagerstatten.ca
05-27-2009, 05:14 PM
So that's what its called...BONKING! Damn I've been getting bad cramps the last couple of rides around town. Usually after about 15-20km of riding, my thighs will cramp up and then it's game over.

Vagabond142
05-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Just a heads up.
Shoppers Drug Mart has the 68g Clif bars in all flavors on for 10 for $10 , regular 2.50. not sure how much everyone usually pays but thats pretty cheap in any case.
Its in the flyer so should be at any shoppers.

If that's still on Saturday I may just pick some up

Adrenaline101
05-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Im not sure if it goes until saturday or not. I have to go back there tonight and buy 20 of em when I meet the woman so Ill check. Thank god for an extra 30% off at shoppers for me, makes it all the sweeter.

syeve
05-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca
So that's what its called...BONKING! Damn I've been getting bad cramps the last couple of rides around town. Usually after about 15-20km of riding, my thighs will cramp up and then it's game over.

yah, you have to be a little careful if you start cramping/bonking. Just try to hydrate the best you can the day of a ride and it should clear up. If not take a closer look at your pre-ride nutrition.

:thumbsup:

r3ccOs
05-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Cliff bars, lots of water or gatorade

I'll buy gatorade lemon, and put enough in the bladder for function, as you don't need to consume 2.2L of that sugary stuff on a ride

Cliff bars, power gels and banana's are what I prefer and seem to be the most functional forms of fuel that don't weigh you down mid-ride

D'z Nutz
05-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Im not sure if it goes until saturday or not. I have to go back there tonight and buy 20 of em when I meet the woman so Ill check. Thank god for an extra 30% off at shoppers for me, makes it all the sweeter.

It's only until tomorrow (29th). I stopped by shopper's at lunch to pick up some, but the chocolate and peanut butter flavours didn't have the 10 for $10 sticker on it, so they didn't give it to me :rolleyes:

Adrenaline101
05-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

It's only until tomorrow (29th). I stopped by shopper's at lunch to pick up some, but the chocolate and peanut butter flavours didn't have the 10 for $10 sticker on it, so they didn't give it to me :rolleyes:

thats wierd, every one of the flavours has the sticker on them at shoppers here in Okotoks, they must have a lazy merchandiser at that location who didnt mark them all properly, especially since its in the flyer.

flipstah
05-28-2009, 02:14 PM
For me, I have a Camelbak imitation pack (Sierra whatever) I bought at Costco for $5 when it was on sale. 2L capacity but the pack is so small so it's only good for a phone, wallet, keys, some fruit and pistachios.

"Nature" bars are overpriced and taste like crap. Fruit's where it's at. :thumbsup:

civic_stylez
05-28-2009, 02:35 PM
When i downhill at fernie/whistler, i load up the night before and in the morning... lots of water the night before and egg mcmuffins/bananas in the morning before i ride. to me DH'ing is like boxing... youll notice boxers drink VERY little in between rounds. On a 4 hour day at the hill ill drink a liter of water at most. Bananas help fight off the lactic acid as well...plus theyre good! i always find the camel back guys drink too much and cramp up/puke.

i get a gatorade halfway through the day and dump half of it out and top it off with water... that stuff is 90% salt. ( i know you need electrolytes but that stuff will dehydrate you even more).

I dont burn out and dont cramp.

Vagabond142
05-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Would it be advantageous to get some of the Gatorade mix and just do 1/3 the recommended mix (will taste like watery piss, I know) as a preride booster? Or even just a scoop of it into a 2L bagfull in my waterpack? It's really cheap at MEC (like $5.50 for a tin that says it'll do 32L of the stuff at standard strength) and might be worth looking into if it is of actual benefit.

D'z Nutz
05-28-2009, 08:32 PM

thats wierd, every one of the flavours has the sticker on them at shoppers here in Okotoks, they must have a lazy merchandiser at that location who didnt mark them all properly, especially since its in the flyer.

Yeah, I think they were just idiots at the store I stopped by. I went to another one this evening and grabbed a bunch. 10 for $10! I'll have to try a couple and see if I like it enough to grab a few more tomorrow before the sale's over.

Thanks for the heads up though! :thumbsup:

syeve
05-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Would it be advantageous to get some of the Gatorade mix and just do 1/3 the recommended mix (will taste like watery piss, I know) as a preride booster? Or even just a scoop of it into a 2L bagfull in my waterpack? It's really cheap at MEC (like $5.50 for a tin that says it'll do 32L of the stuff at standard strength) and might be worth looking into if it is of actual benefit.

Its all a trial and error. I would try it and maybe adjust it until you feel best. It sounds like a good plan, the key being consuming a lot of water pre-ride and adjusting you meals until you find something that doesn't make you barf. Like it was said earlier, regular bikers have one thing they generally eat before a ride because they know it won't turn them into a bag of shit on the trail. I eat a banana and a couple pieces of toast with tonnes of peanut butter and as much water as I can. Then on the car ride out to the moutains I will have like 1/3 of a powerbar. I usually feel pretty good and my days of bonking are long gone. :thumbsup:

syeve

syeve
wtf...sorry guys!

Adrenaline101
05-29-2009, 11:08 AM
haha, you did the in the post our rides post too, I thought u were just reserving space for a giant 2 post story about some ride.

msommers
05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by syeve
^^easy to carry, light and don't make you feel sick while at your at anaerobic heart rates. I usually just stick to water and jellybeans though :)

Sounds like an excuse to pick up a costco size bag of Jelly Bellies!!:rofl:

B4tMan
05-29-2009, 11:26 AM
anaerobic heart rates = air less heart rates ? is that some new invention, as hydration is for 'drinking'

B4tMan
05-29-2009, 11:28 AM
what do you know ... there are articles about this airless shit

http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/exercisefitness/exer3098.html

Vagabond142
06-06-2009, 04:24 AM
I've been wondering... while I'm enjoying my post ride banana or apple, I'm starting to want to throw some more variety into things... so I was wondering what vegetables (raw) can be eaten that provide a good post-ride snack?

I've been thinking tomatoes (like a half tomato cut up and put in with some hand-torn lettuce and chives for a quick, basic garden salad (no dressing), or a carrot, or a chopped raddish... you get the point. A lot of health guides say fruit AND veggies, so i wanna bring up my veggies content :D

syeve
06-06-2009, 01:31 PM
haha, you did the in the post our rides post too, I thought u were just reserving space for a giant 2 post story about some ride.

Man, what a pain. My pc is fucked.

:banghead:

Vagabond142
06-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Well, I've been doing a tomato/spring onion/lettuce/sliced radish garden salad with no dressing or added flavorings... and it feels excellent after a ride. It may be more mental than anything, but having a good shower and then sitting down and having a nice salad while reading the comics in the paper really does feel nice and healthy :D

As to hydration: I got a big tin of Gatorade powder from MEC ($5.50 per tin), and I do about a heaping scoop to a liter of water (pretty much ~1/2 to 1/3 of what they recommend per liter o_O). It makes it have a very lightly fruit punchy flavor, but I'm already noticing that I have a slight bit more energy and endurance to my long rides, so I think the on-the-fly electrolyte replacement is helping o_O At this rate, this one tin will last me at the least a month, if not a month and a half.