PDA

View Full Version : Fix or replace engine, or something else?

Mott
05-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Here is my situation: I have a1998 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg edition manual 2.0 4 cylinder with about 273.000Km on it. I was told that my head gaskets were warped and would start leaking over a year ago and I drove the car for at least another 6 months at which point the gaskets were leaking oil to a very noticeable point until I left for my travels which am still on at the moment. I haven't touched my car since Nov 21 2008 and I am going to back until late June and need to figure out what to do with my car. My options are to get my head gaskets replaced which will run about 800 bucks which I think is a bit too much money to be putting into an engine that has 273k on it. So my other options are to find a wreaked car with a good motor (and drive train as my exhaust is broken the y pipe coming out of the engine got bashed on a median and it comes out under the engine, but doesn't effect the car mechanically) and put the motor/drive train into my car or somehow get a "new" car on my student budget.

As for the body/tires/suspension/brakes they are in good condition so if I could replace the engine and possible te drive train I would be set for a while. My clutch is starting to wear out, but I baby it so I should have at least until next summer before I need to worry about it if I can;t find a drive train at a reasonable price. The engine is my main concern right now.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to what I can do considering I am a University student and don't have a bunch of cash to blow. Is there somewhere that I can go to get an engine / drive train or what? I just don't know what to do, but one thing I do know if my car goes during school time I will be broke and notbe able to deal with it.

As it stands I will have 1000 bucks when I get home for my car and my Dad might help me out if I can find something really worth it. Also if any of you guys know of a really good deal on a used car thats going to last a while PLEASE let me know and I might be able to use some of my money and have some support from the family.

Thanks for your help in advance and really any suggestions/tips/pointers will be much appreciated!

sxtothe240
05-24-2009, 04:12 PM
An engine swap is prob going to cost you more than 800.
I've heard VW's are pretty reliable cars, so maybe a headgasket replacement might be the way to go.

D911
05-24-2009, 04:22 PM
what engine/trans do you have in the car?

a new 2L would be like 6-700bucks.
and if you need someone to install it i've heard lots of good stuff about tunedub.

5000Audi
05-24-2009, 05:19 PM
id do the head gaskets on it.. german cars are awsome. cost a hell of a lot to fix but they are great cars...

my audi had 275K on the engine and im still on the factory clutch..

so i would say your engine is still good to go just replace the gaskets on it

Mott
05-25-2009, 12:29 AM
I think my car has a 2.0 L4 engine, but I just cannot remember as I have never really paid attention to it. I will try and get someone to pop it open back in Calgary and tell me. You guys really think it would be ok just to do my head gaskets and risk having more go wrong with the engine in the future?

Also an engine for 600-700 bucks? Where could I find it is the problem... If I could find an engine and/or drive train and get one or both for 1000 bucks I think my Dad is willing to pay for the swap and I have a guy that gives me a reasonable discount on labour.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have also looked on Kijiji when I can and have seen some Golf's and Volvos (I'm in love with the 850 model 93-97) for very reasonable prices and might try to score one oft hem when I get back if I can't find a new engine for my VW. My Dad is very set against me fixing my current engine and a friend of the family who used to work on cars for a living told my Dad and I not to fix it...

omfgcurtis
05-25-2009, 01:03 AM
It would say on your intake manifold "2.0", shouldnt miss it. And if you do have to replace the motor, ive got one in my garage actually, and i wouldnt want more than $400 for it.

ShermanEF9
05-25-2009, 01:25 AM
you can't avoid engine trouble... you might as well fix this

Mott
05-25-2009, 08:01 AM
omfgcurtis you got a PM. If the engine has less KM than mine has and is in better shape it would be worth my money to get it from you and have it put in as the head gaskets would be 800 bucks alone. Let me know the km and condition of it please.

I just got confirmation its a 2.0 4 cylinder

I called Allen & Sons and they said they could get me an engine with 125k and a clutch for around 750. Is that worth it?

I also need a new tumbler for my door or a keyless entry system if anyone has it.