PDA

View Full Version : You EFI guys are lucky

2EFNFAST
05-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I picked up some bad gas at co-op (91 octane my ass) and it was making it an absolute nightmare to drive my cobra - POPing like crazy from the exhaust, and everytime I would clutch in to come to a stop the engine would lean out and die immediately. It was at hte point where I was convinced something mechanical was hurt bad (didn't even consider the possibility of bad gas until today)

*sigh*

Looks like I'll be storing some 103 race fuel in my garage now, so I can blend it with the 91crap and the shitty ethanol they're probably jamming into it :nut:

I thought about that husky 94, but I was told that it contains a lot of ethanol and that's the last thing I want.

You EFI guys have it so easy when the computer handles everything ;)

rage2
05-25-2009, 02:28 PM
I find Shell 91 to be the most consistent fuel, with Mohawk 94 fairly close behind. I used to run open loop on my Porsche, so I had the same "problem" as you do. Lucky for me, I had a nice dial to force it to go richer or leaner in the car.

I don't know how u carb guys do it. Don't u have to adjust your jets if you drive to say vancouver at sea level? That would so suck haha.

2EFNFAST
05-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by rage2
in the car.

I don't know how u carb guys do it. Don't u have to adjust your jets if you drive to say vancouver at sea level? That would so suck haha.

I don't know - you phsyically can't stand being in my car for more than 20 or 25minutes at a time, so you'd never be able to make it far enough to worry about elevation changes :rofl:

But hte plus side of the carb is so worth - so easy to install and work with, even somebody with no mechanical knowledge (such as myself) can do it :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
05-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Ever consider fuel injection? (http://www.mass-floefi.com/mass-flo.html)

I don't know how well these systems work, but worth some research.

rage2
05-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
But hte plus side of the carb is so worth - so easy to install and work with, even somebody with no mechanical knowledge (such as myself) can do it :thumbsup:
According to Toma, carbs make more power than EFI on the same motor because the fuel atomization is way better using carbs. I mean hell, we're still trying to perfect it right now on the EFI side with Direct Injection, fuel preheating, and all sorts of tricks to improve fuel atomization.

JTC180
05-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I picked up some bad gas at co-op (91 octane my ass) and it was making it an absolute nightmare to drive my cobra - POPing like crazy from the exhaust, and everytime I would clutch in to come to a stop the engine would lean out and die immediately. It was at hte point where I was convinced something mechanical was hurt bad (didn't even consider the possibility of bad gas until today)

*sigh*

Looks like I'll be storing some 103 race fuel in my garage now, so I can blend it with the 91crap and the shitty ethanol they're probably jamming into it :nut:

I thought about that husky 94, but I was told that it contains a lot of ethanol and that's the last thing I want.

You EFI guys have it so easy when the computer handles everything ;)

I found both Co-op and Shell gas to be of poor quality/consistency. The one time I put Shell in my car it was bogging really badly and seemed to have severe power loss. I never went back, and the co-op gas seemed to just feel less powerful and the engine ran a little rougher. I actually find super-store premium seems to run best for me.

5000Audi
05-25-2009, 10:24 PM
ugh driving carb'd to vancouver SUCKS lol.. bogged out many times going up to higher elevations... totally sucked lol.. i wont take a carb'd car that trip again haha

2EFNFAST
05-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by JTC180

I found both Co-op and Shell gas to be of poor quality/consistency. The one time I put Shell in my car it was bogging really badly and seemed to have severe power loss. I never went back, and the co-op gas seemed to just feel less powerful and the engine ran a little rougher. I actually find super-store premium seems to run best for me.

Seriously? I always thought (even though I've never tried theirs) that superstore gas would be lower quality. I may have to give it a try.

However, I can't wait to see the looks I get when I fill up with 7gal of gas, then pull out a race fuel tank and add in another 3. Nothing like somebody using a jerry can right at the gas station pump :nut:

2EFNFAST
05-26-2009, 12:29 AM
Btw, for those who buy race fuel here (from VP fuels), do you just show up with a jerry can and stick the nozzel in, or does it come pre-packaged? i was told they have all sorts of choices (100, 103, ?100? c12 leaded), and I can't imagine it's distributed from normal pumps (although maybe it is, what do I know).

5000Audi
05-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Btw, for those who buy race fuel here (from VP fuels), do you just show up with a jerry can and stick the nozzel in, or does it come pre-packaged? i was told they have all sorts of choices (100, 103, ?100? c12 leaded), and I can't imagine it's distributed from normal pumps (although maybe it is, what do I know).

im pretty sure it comes in cans. like 10g and up.. at the ATV dealership i worked at we had it in cans.. never seen it at a regular pump before

.403white
05-26-2009, 09:19 AM
DOMO FTW!

2EFNFAST
05-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Due to the (mostly) good reviews of shell I went and tried some tonight. Car idled much smoother and another 100rpm higher than normal. Seemed much happier.

Guess co-op gas is bleh gas.

JTC180
05-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Due to the (mostly) good reviews of shell I went and tried some tonight. Car idled much smoother and another 100rpm higher than normal. Seemed much happier.

Guess co-op gas is bleh gas.

At least Shell works for some cars! My car actually has a shell symbol on the gas cap from way back when but it just hates their gas.

2EFNFAST
05-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by JTC180

At least Shell works for some cars! My car actually has a shell symbol on the gas cap from way back when but it just hates their gas.

I'm surprised you had such a negative experience with it - from what I've gathered in research, severalllllllll years ago their product blew goats, but they turned themselves around to become a quality product. Most recommendations I've read for quality octone recommend shell's 91.

rage2
05-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Somebody a long time ago had told me co-op was Shell. I've never really checked.

Maybe it's time I buy an octane tester haha.

Tik-Tok
05-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Somebody a long time ago had told me co-op was Shell. I've never really checked.

Maybe it's time I buy an octane tester haha.

I posted that awhile back, I don't know about ALL co-ops, but I asked the manager at the one on Macleod ( near Heritage), he said they get their gas from Shell, but it doesn't have the additives that Shell has.

This was 3 years ago mind you, they could have changed suppliers by now, he sounded like it wasn't some long term contract or anything. I suspect they get their gas from the cheapest reliable source every year.

JTC180
05-27-2009, 09:55 AM

I'm surprised you had such a negative experience with it - from what I've gathered in research, severalllllllll years ago their product blew goats, but they turned themselves around to become a quality product. Most recommendations I've read for quality octone recommend shell's 91.

It seems my parents have had issues with shell before as well. Also one time we were at a Mohawk, and my dad pressed 91 octane of whatever was highest, and it pumped 87 octane into the car. Boy was he furious.

2EFNFAST
05-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I posted that awhile back, I don't know about ALL co-ops, but I asked the manager at the one on Macleod ( near Heritage), he said they get their gas from Shell, but it doesn't have the additives that Shell has.

This was 3 years ago mind you, they could have changed suppliers by now, he sounded like it wasn't some long term contract or anything. I suspect they get their gas from the cheapest reliable source every year.

I could sworn reading somewhere that co-op had their own refineries? :confused: