PDA

View Full Version : Cold Smoked Salmon

liquidboi69
05-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Hey does anyone know how to make these at all? I've been reading many sites from google and all of them seem fairly simple but I would like to see if anyone here smokes this stuff on their own.

Also if you do smoke this stuff on your own, I was wondering what kind of set up do you use cuz i have a huge craving for smoked salmon and would like to try to make it instead of buying from the grocery market.

Thanks in advance.

masoncgy
05-25-2009, 10:44 PM
My brother and I used to smoke salmon all the time growing up, but we also had an abundance of fresh salmon at our disposal since we lived a few minutes walk from the Bulkley River in Northern BC... so it was a little different in terms of experience.

You need some kind of smoke house to complete the process in addition to wood flavor chips. We used to have a 'Lil Chief' mini-smoke house that worked perfectly. It is a fairly lengthy process, but the results are worth it.

Outside of a freshly grilled salmon fillet, caught that afternoon... smoked is the way to do that fish!

dj_rice
05-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Do you want cold smoked or hot smoked, cuz I think the poster above is talking hot smoked

masoncgy
05-25-2009, 10:58 PM
^ Yes, that is a very good point. Are you wanting smoked salmon in a jerky form or in a textured form?

liquidboi69
05-26-2009, 01:18 AM
as the title says, I would like to make cold smoked salmon, also known as salmon lox. Meaning that it will have the raw texture still and will not flake like cooked salmon.

Ideally as I have read, the temperature to cook this at is around 80-90 degrees. While hot smoked salmon is cooked at around 150 degrees.

As you have said mason, you used to make it in a smoke house, im looking for a more practical and miniature sized smoking chamber that would ideally smoke 2 salmon filets.