PDA

View Full Version : Water Cooling a PC?

KRyn
05-25-2009, 09:54 PM
I am in the market for a new PC, I have figured out all of the components that will be in my computer. However, I am curious about liquid cooling. Does anyone have any experience with any internally mounted kits? Suggestions would be great. I checked out tomshardware.com and googled a bunch of stuff with no real luck. I like the Zalman case but I am not ready to drop a grand on a case that will leave no room for my planned GTX295 x2 build. I plan on purchasing my computer from Memory Express, would they install and warranty a liquid cooled computer? Also do they still produce the GTX295 Hydro Cooper card?

Cheers!

A790
05-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Liquid cooling is only really meant if you're going to be overclocking your PC. I don't see why you need it for any other reason.

KRyn
05-25-2009, 10:03 PM
I hate the noise of multiple fans and do plan on over clocking my processor and graphics card. I am picking up the intel i-920 which is easily pushed from 2.66 ghz to 3.66. With a water cooling setup 4 ghz is suppose to be obtainable if you don't mind the excessive energy consumption.

beyondpinoy
06-26-2009, 01:12 PM
even with watercooling, you will need to have multiple fans (you'll need the fans on the radiator to cool the water)

water is a great way to go, but i would just recommend you go with a quality high end heatsink for your processor (for example: Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme)

but if you want to go watercooling, be sure to get a GOOD HUGE CASE, and quality watercooling parts. i had watercooling a few years back, but its sometimes a hassel to find upgrading parts and such.

hampstor
06-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I currently run a CoolIT systems Eliminator, and have run the Freezone as well. Self contained, no maintenance, internally mounted liquid cooling system. I'm not a hardcore user by any stretch anymore and if I was one, there is no alternative to a custom built system with Danger Den blocks & pumps and Black Ice rads :poosie:

If it wasn't for the fact I got them both for free, i probably would never have purchased them. For your average Pc user that isn't all about squeezing out the last MHz, you can get a really good air cooled setup for a fraction of the price of a watercooled system.

teknical
06-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Most new systems don't need water cooling unless you plan to push the processor to it's very limit, but even then a good air heatsink will work perfectly for minimal o/c.

Mibz
06-26-2009, 05:20 PM
If you're running two GTX295s then you can UNDERclock them, run on air-cooling and -still- have more card than you'll need in the next two years. This thread is a waste of time.