PDA

View Full Version : Prelude H22a vs Corrado VR6

Nav13
05-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Alright so I am looking to pick up a car and I've found a pretty good deal on both these cars. The Prelude is a 92 that had an H22a swapped in a couple years ago, 125k miles on the body 90k kms on the engine, its been repainted, no rust but the paint job wasn't the greatest.

The Corrado is a 1990 with ~200k on the body and around 130k on the VR6 engine. Original paint is fading, but there is not rust as far as I've seen on the pics.

Now the Prelude is quite a bit cheaper, about $1500 less. I know the Prelude would be the wiser choice and most likely more reliable and less costly to run. But I feel like I am passing on a great deal/car with the Corrado, and I have owned a prelude before mind you it had an f22 so it would be nice to get something different but I am sure the H22a would be alot of fun aswell. So I am just looking to get some opinions from people who have owned either or both cars.

403Gemini
05-26-2009, 12:08 PM
What are the asking prices for both?

narou
05-26-2009, 12:17 PM
take the lude

powerslave
05-26-2009, 12:40 PM
I've owned a '93 VR6 Corrado and now I drive a '97 Prelude.

These two cars are such opposites in so many ways. Corrado has awesome low end torque, goes fast, looks great and is not something you see very often. It also has numerous issues, recalls and problems, so it spent A LOT of time in the garage being worked on. If you're serious about buying the Corrado, ask to see if any work has been done on it, especially the heater core recall. I'd also look at the cooling system, since VR6 motors run hot, make sure both fans turn on at correct temperatures and that there are no leaks on any of the crappy plastic piping (especially the water distributor pipe that runs behind the intake manifold). There are a number of other issues that can come up with these cars but I can't remember them right now. The Corrado ended up being both the best, and the worst car I've ever owned, at the same time.

The Prelude is a nice reliable car, it has fun high revs and some torque. Unlike the Corrado, it hasn't left me stranded on the road, and besides regular wear-and-tear, no other money had to be spent on it. It doesn't accelerate or look as good as a Corrado but the reliability is just top notch.

I would suggest you buy the Prelude if you want to have as little to worry about on the car as possible, but if you have the patience, time and money to mess around with the Corrado, then go for it.

Nav13
05-26-2009, 01:20 PM
The Prelude is going for 3 grand and the corrado asking price is 4500. So at those prices I think both are good deals, but the prelude is just the safe bet and the Corrado is the gamble. How bad are parts for the Corrado really?

I've just finished school but haven't been able to find a full time job related to my degree, I have about 6 grand to spend right now and I'll be working any job I can find for the time being until I can get one related to my degree, would that be enough to run the corrado and deal with any issue for a 6months to a year, I know it all depends on the condition of the car, but if it has been well maintained would 1200 be a good enough safety net?

Powerslave thanks for all the info I'll be sure to check those things out.

powerslave
05-26-2009, 03:03 PM
The parts aren't that hard to come by, and there are a number of very useful Corrado resources on the internet (Corrado Club of Canada forums will become the most visited website on your computer, if you end up buying it). It's not just the parts, it's the fact that they have to get replaced by somoene. Make sure you've got a good reliable mechanic who knows Corrados or VR6 engines, or in the least, VWs, it will help you a lot.

But like you said, a lot of this will depend on how well the car was maintained, so you may be able to get away with your budget for a while.

Nav13
05-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Yea I've been doing alot of reading on the CCC forums. I'll be going to check the car out tommorow night, but I got a little more info over the phone. So the VR6 was swapped in a 2 years ago and it came from a 1997 passat. All the electricals work (power windows, door locks, rear spoiler) the sunroof tilts up but doesnt slide open(not a major concern)

The one thing that worries me is that neither the timing chain nor the head gasket have been replaced, now the owner says he had a leak down test done at concept1 and the engine showed no signs of wear in that regard, but lets say worst case both these things end up needing to be replaced, what kind of money am I looking at for parts and labour paying a shop to do the work?

zipdoa
05-27-2009, 05:10 PM
newer VR6 swap - go for it. my buddies golf vr6 went 245 000k before he had to do chains. Chains are $2000 @ tunedub, 2300 IIRC w/ a clutch.

The Corrado, if it's in good condition/decently maintained will be a much more rewarding car to own.

asp integra
05-27-2009, 10:12 PM
vr6 no question, one of the best engines ever, and possibly the best sounding engine ever! plus the corrado looks wayyyyyyyyyy better!

Nav13
05-28-2009, 05:15 PM
I know there is a thread for carfax reports but I thought I would just ask in here too. If anyone can run this vin that would be great, it is an american car so car fax would help alot.

JHMBB2158SC006721

dynamo
05-28-2009, 05:20 PM
LUDE FTMFW

403Gemini
05-28-2009, 05:21 PM
h22 swapped prelude for $3000? Sounds too good to be true tbh... I'd go with the Corrado

zipdoa
05-28-2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.mananetwork.net/pictures/digital_photography/cars/Corrado24DT.jpg

Nav13
05-28-2009, 06:23 PM
^^^ damn thats looks good, but I decided not to go with the Corrado, as bad as I wan't one, if anything major were to go wrong my budget just couldn't afford it. I'll be driving up to Lloydminster this weekend and if all goes well Ill be driving back with the prelude. Guess its good for the guy selling the Corrado his wife was making him sell it, so I guess he will get to keep it for a little longer.

zipdoa
05-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Nav13
^^^ damn thats looks good, but I decided not to go with the Corrado, as bad as I wan't one, if anything major were to go wrong my budget just couldn't afford it. I'll be driving up to Lloydminster this weekend and if all goes well Ill be driving back with the prelude. Guess its good for the guy selling the Corrado his wife was making him sell it, so I guess he will get to keep it for a little longer.

send me link w/ pics of rado pls

Nav13
05-28-2009, 07:25 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Volkswagen-1990-Corrado-W0QQAdIdZ130387605

Seems like a really good deal for the right buyer, seller seems like a nice guy aswell.

Nav13
05-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
h22 swapped prelude for $3000? Sounds too good to be true tbh... I'd go with the Corrado

Boy were you right, carproof shows that the Prelude's been salvaged and rebuilt, guess I won't be getting either car afterall.

jdm_eg6
05-30-2009, 08:51 PM
link us, lets see them..

if the lude is white, with 5 spoke silver wheels then it may be bad news.

as for VR6 Corrado, they are nice ass rides and have nice torque.... buuut the fact my old 1.5L SOHC Vtec civic hatchback beat one has to mean something, no?

+1 for Corrado, but thats because i love the Styling and its a Euro!

Nav13
05-30-2009, 10:22 PM
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Honda-1995-honda-prelude-W0QQAdIdZ130151051

Bizzareo
05-31-2009, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Nav13
[B

The one thing that worries me is that neither the timing chain nor the head gasket have been replaced, now the owner says he had a leak down test done at concept1 and the engine showed no signs of wear in that regard, but lets say worst case both these things end up needing to be replaced, what kind of money am I looking at for parts and labour paying a shop to do the work? [/B]

You may be able to stop the leak using a product called Barr's leak stop. Unless the head gasket is really screwed, then your looking at replacing it. And the paint can be restored with any polish designed to remove oxidization.

And if its chain driven I don't believe it needs to be replace unless theirs a problem (I may be wrong here). Though replacing a timing chain is easy if your careful,
I would definitely not take those rims. Maybe the body kit though.

I would definitely get a mechanics inspection done BEFORE purchasing the vehicle, this way you can find any other problems before you buy it. (At least let the owner know you will make a proper offer if it the car is not problematic.)

FullMetal
05-31-2009, 03:01 AM
the VW is a head turner :eek: :eek: :clap: :clap: and the lude needs lowering and a body kit to cover that big ass muffler thats hanging from its ass...and think about it, the VR6 came from a 97 passat, u should be looking for info on the 97 passats and see what kinda problems they normaly have or get as for the honda, ima say that every honda is reliable but they too over rated lol and u see alot of them

zipdoa
05-31-2009, 06:55 PM
My stockish (intake/exhaust) Corrado VR6 beat my buddys Skyline GTS-T Type M... all he had was an intake though, otherwise stock.