PDA

View Full Version : Flames Announce Press Conference

dezmarez
05-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Sutter announced a press conference which starts in 5 minutes...Pat Quinn and Tom Renney are already gone to Edmonton

403ep3
05-26-2009, 01:01 PM
sutter or lowry!

TeamBestBud
05-26-2009, 01:09 PM
live on flames.nhl.com

eur0
05-26-2009, 01:12 PM
thanks for the link

sputnik
05-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I just started watching. Has Sutter said whats going on yet?

bulaian
05-26-2009, 01:14 PM
video doesn't load at work, can someone post what's happening?

sputnik
05-26-2009, 01:16 PM
From what I gather...

- Daryl Sutter will be coach and GM
- They are going to still look for a coach
- If another coach can't be found... Sutter will remain coach for the season.

extm88
05-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Yea,
Nothing has really been said haha a pointless press conference however question was just asked if daryl wants to coach again and he smiled and said that if hes the right guy yes he does.

Ide love to see him back behind the bench!

sputnik
05-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Did Sutter just say "bullshit"?

Team_Mclaren
05-26-2009, 01:24 PM
from what he said its more like they are searching for a coach till july 1st. And if he cant find one then he'll coach if he has to.

extm88
05-26-2009, 01:24 PM
yea ahah

dino_martini
05-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Interesting...very interesting. I seriously had my doubts about Sutter going back to being our Coach. But, that would be pretty sweet if he coached and we won the Stanley cup...

Sasuke_Kensai
05-26-2009, 01:39 PM
^If that suddenly happened next year after 3 first-round exits with the other coaches, he'd definitely have a statue made in his honor. Maybe even show up on the local recession currency.

"In Sutter we trust" :rofl:

dino_martini
05-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai
^If that suddenly happened next year after 3 first-round exits with the other coaches, he'd definitely have a statue made in his honor. Maybe even show up on the local recession currency.

"In Sutter we trust" :rofl:

:rofl: That would be pretty sweet. We would probably rename a road in his honor. Sutter Avenue...that has a pretty nice ring to it.

TorqueDog
05-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
:rofl: That would be pretty sweet. We would probably rename a road in his honor. Sutter Avenue...that has a pretty nice ring to it. We'll rename 22X to "Marquis of Sutter Trail". Or Stephen Avenue to "Sutter Avenue".

Or 17th Avenue to Sutterteenth Avenue... okay, maybe not.

rage2
05-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Interesting...very interesting. I seriously had my doubts about Sutter going back to being our Coach. But, that would be pretty sweet if he coached and we won the Stanley cup...
Jesus, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

TeamBestBud
05-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Just watched Darryl the great on molson thats hockey. He kept shutting Gino Reda down and giving him the same answer over and over...too funny to watch.

TeamBestBud
05-26-2009, 05:12 PM
BTW, what do you guys think of Pat Quinn and Tom Renney moving in up north?

PGTze
05-26-2009, 05:39 PM
He said there were 3 guys they were looking at, and basicly said if they couldn't get one of the three then he would coach himself. I've got to believe Brian Sutter is one of them, and the guys on the Fan960 theorized that Brad McCrimmon who is currently an assistant with the Wings might be a good fit.

Ajay
05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Didn't he say he wanted to find a new coach by the draft at the end of June?

Pretty sure that's what I remember. Only coach that was offered anything was Playfair was given the opportunity to go down to Abbotsford. Kind of a demotion but at least he can stay with the organization and make his way back up.

I figured Lowry would get the AHL job, maybe they're looking at him for the big job instead.

Kavy
05-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by PGTze
He said there were 3 guys they were looking at, and basicly said if they couldn't get one of the three then he would coach himself. I've got to believe Brian Sutter is one of them, and the guys on the Fan960 theorized that Brad McCrimmon who is currently an assistant with the Wings might be a good fit.

I wish would could make a sticky about Brent Sutter being under contract with the devils so people quit thinking he was going to end up coaching here. The compensation package would be at least a first rounder and I don't think any coach is worth that.

I would honestly be surprised if Daryl was not the coach come June 10th. He did say however the 3 coaches are currently under contract which means no announcement of another coach could be made until June 30th (unless it was him or the team fires said coach) which is when contracts for last season expire.

I thought Lowry or Renney would end up here but I guess 1 of those is out.

TorqueDog
05-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by PGTze
I've got to believe Brian Sutter is one of them...
Originally posted by Kavy
I wish would could make a sticky about Brian Sutter being under contract with the devils so people quit thinking he was going to end up coaching here.:facepalm:

Brent Sutter. Brian Sutter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Sutter) coaches AAA hockey.

Kavy
05-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Owned by Copy and pasting. :(

Fixed it for ya

PGTze
05-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
:facepalm:

Brent Sutter. Brian Sutter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Sutter) coaches AAA hockey.

Sorry man, you are a far superior Sutter fan than I.

On a side note, maybe Brian Sutter could come back for a second go around with the Flames, ha.

Originally posted by Kavy

I wish would could make a sticky about Brent Sutter being under contract with the devils so people quit thinking he was going to end up coaching here. The compensation package would be at least a first rounder and I don't think any coach is worth that.

Peter Maher stated today that the NHL has no such compensation policies regarding hiring coaches since the lock out. I was operating under this assumption as well, but apparently the only requirement the Flames need to fulfill is they need to get permission from the coaches current team if he is still under contract with.

Another example used to explain the situation was if the Flames were theoretically interested in hiring Peter Laviolette formerly of the Canes. Since he is still technically under contract the Flames or any other NHL team for that matter would need to gain permission from Carolina to negotiate with them.

So basically what would need to happen is BRENT Sutter would have to choose not to fulfill the last year of his contract with the Devils, and then the Flames would need the Devils okay to 'negotiate' with him.

I'm not saying he is coming here, or that he is even the best fit, but coaches contracts are not nearly as binding as they used to be and it is possible.

88CRX
05-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
from what he said its more like they are searching for a coach till july 1st. And if he cant find one then he'll coach if he has to.

this.

He'll only coach if he has to.

dezmarez
05-27-2009, 09:20 AM
the only questions is...
how tough is this search going to be...
or is he even looking??
this guy just lies to the media all day and every day haha