PDA

View Full Version : Would you take it?

PGTze
10-27-2003, 12:12 AM
In light of recent discussion, I figured I'd put up a poll, what the hell eh...

What would you do if you were weathly enough for your parents to offer to buy you a car? Would you take it or not? What if it was a Cavalier? What if it was a Supra?

Ben
10-27-2003, 12:17 AM
If it was a cavalier, take it, sell it immediatly and salvage what depreciated value it has left, if it was a supra, sell it to some FnF ricer for a brutally inflated value and mod my dream VW. :D

max_boost
10-27-2003, 12:18 AM
Hell yah I would take it
People who don't just have too much pride for their own good :rofl:

Kamen
10-27-2003, 12:33 AM
I don't see what's wrong with it :D

Shaolin
10-27-2003, 12:36 AM
if it was either I'd take it and sell it, unless if the car i'm currently driving now is a piece of shit and about to die. If I didn't have a car at all i'd keep the Cav, but I'd sell the Supra..

PGTze
10-27-2003, 12:40 AM
Holy hot topic Batman! :eek:

I think I feel better about buying my car myself when I look back on it, but I don't know if I would be able to say no to a 20 grand+ car if I was offered it :dunno:. I said no to a 2-3 grand beater and decided to save up for a better car, but that's just me.

gpomp
10-27-2003, 12:44 AM
A better way of looking at it would be... if your parents offered you $30000, would you take it? :dunno:

CelicaST-162
10-27-2003, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I would feel way better If I bought the car myself, I would take on my parents offers to buy me a car anyway.

But Shaolin, man are you on drugs??? You would keep the Cavailer and sell the supra??? The Supra would smack the ass of the Cavalier ANY DAY!!!...so in conclusion...Supra would be my pick.

djfob
10-27-2003, 12:54 AM
Take it and hopefully one day the favor can be returned

403Gemini
10-27-2003, 12:54 AM
id take it, but id pay my parents back in the future. my parents are letting me finance their old car off them (the saturn) so in like 5ish years i wanna get my dad a 91ish 5.0 mustang as a way of saying thanks :D hes a sucker for the american muscle heh

Shaolin
10-27-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
Yeah, I would feel way better If I bought the car myself, I would take on my parents offers to buy me a car anyway.

But Shaolin, man are you on drugs??? You would keep the Cavailer and sell the supra??? The Supra would smack the ass of the Cavalier ANY DAY!!!...so in conclusion...Supra would be my pick.

Heh, I guess i'm just putting it into perspectives of my current situation.. priorities i guess :D But if I didn't have to get involved with my priorities, hell I'd definitely take the Supra :D

GTS Jeff
10-27-2003, 12:58 AM
haha agree with ben...take it and sell it. then spend all the money on my corolla. my parents would beat me tho

Redlyne_mr2
10-27-2003, 01:07 AM
Of course Id take it, if I hated it Id sell it, If I loved it Id mod it and take pride in the fact that I built it myself that way people wouldnt even center in on the fact that my parents bought it for me

hjr
10-27-2003, 01:23 AM
take and sell. thats a good plan. unless they would kill you, then only take if its cool. You dont want your parents to have sway over you with a shitty car. Its ok if th vehicle is pimp but otherwise walk away from it.

pinoyhero
10-27-2003, 06:57 AM
First question, why wouldn't you take it? If your do'nt have a car and need one then you should take what you can get even if it isn't all that great. At least it will get you by until you can afford something you really want.

Speed_Dreams
10-27-2003, 07:52 AM
I would probably take it if it was a car that i wanted. ya free car is a free car but i coudn't see myself driving around in a gutless cavalier and i couldn't see myself acctually feeling good about selling and taking the money that my parents spent on a car for me. but thats just me

girlRACER
10-27-2003, 10:20 AM
My parents bought me my car and I have never felt ashamed for it and I never will. Why should I? My parents came to Canada virtually penniless and they've come a long way in 3 decades and have worked very hard. If they want to buy me a nice car then why should I feel ashamed? To me it would be saying that I am ashamed of them then.

lammer
10-27-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
My parents bought me my car and I have never felt ashamed for it and I never will. Why should I? My parents came to Canada virtually penniless and they've come a long way in 3 decades and have worked very hard. If they want to buy me a nice car then why should I feel ashamed? To me it would be saying that I am ashamed of them then.

very true.

my parents support me since i was a baby i don't care what you guys think haha.
im proud to say that my parents bought me the car.

Hakkola
10-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER

:werd: Same thing for me. Not to mention it's pretty much the norm for where I live, actually my car is probably cheaper than what most the other people get, (cuz it's mad old) but I am very happy with what I have :D

I'd be crazy not to take it, it's like getting a head start if I don't have to worry about car payments, one less thing to worry about.

GT2NV
10-27-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by djfob
Take it and hopefully one day the favor can be returned
well put, i totally agree:thumbsup:

littledan
10-27-2003, 02:32 PM
i worked hard and saved up for my own car. i think it helped me appreciate it even more. do what you feel is right.

sputnik
10-27-2003, 02:36 PM
its the principle of the matter... if your parents buy you a car... it should be the cheapest USED car (ie beater) they can find that will get you from point a to point b

that is the whole purpose of a car, right?

anything more... and your parents are morons... or they are trying to buy you off to become something they want you to be.

thich
10-27-2003, 03:24 PM
i dunno if i completely agree with that statement; but i do agree somewhat.
my parents would never buy me a car period and that's just to keep me motivated to work hard and get my own.

but some parents want their children to do well in school and not have to focus about other stuff so they buy them a car.

other times, transportation is an issue such as those ppl who live in Springbank, Bearspaw... etc.

girlRacer: i've never thought about it in that light... that's good way of thinking about it :thumbsup:

ae1969
10-27-2003, 03:25 PM
... uhmmmm

I would question any parent that would buy a new vehicle for their child.

It is not a healthy lesson for anyone to have things of great value being handed to them. Its not lack of respect to say 'no father/mother I appreciate the gift you have/or are planning on giving me but I think it would be better to save that money'

To me its not a test of respect for your parents but rather a test for a child. A test of maturity.

thich
10-27-2003, 03:28 PM
depends on the situation of the family don't u think?
if the parents are like WELL off... then really, what are they gonna do with the money right?

in the case of Asians, the children tend to be their retirements savings as they grow older - thus, spending money now on their children and reaping benefits later on.
i'm not so sure how long this will prove true in the North American context, but I think it will still function like this for a while.

i agree it's not a healthy lesson for the youngster to get a brand-spankin' new car; the issue would then to be whether or not you have the responsibility to drive it and also respecting the gift that your parents gave you.

Altezza
10-27-2003, 03:46 PM
There is no way I'd take a new car from my parents. When I was younger, I was offered USE of a vehicle and I paid all expenses of having the vehicle around. There is no sense of personal pride or accomplishment, IMO when it's just handed to you. My parents also came here with nothing but the clothes on their backs. They've made a very comfortable life for themselves - I feel 10x better knowing that they spend the money on themselves than to waste it on a car for me.

max_boost
10-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Right on girlRACER!! haha

If my parents wanted to buy me a $65K+ SLK, hell yah I would take it. What I would do instead is, take the cash, then add $50K or whatever of my own money and buy a Porsche!!! haha

Same deal if they buy me a house (Yah right lol) I sell it and buy a bigger house! LOL

maximus
10-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by ae1969

It is not a healthy lesson for anyone to have things of great value being handed to them. Its not lack of respect to say 'no father/mother I appreciate the gift you have/or are planning on giving me but I think it would be better to save that money'

To me its not a test of respect for your parents but rather a test for a child. A test of maturity.

Good point.

I worked my ass of during high school to make money to buy a car and it actually kept me out of trouble on the weekends. But mostly saving for used car teaches you how to manage your finances and budget and stuff. It really does make you respect the value of a dollar because if you think about it, buying your own car when you're young is like buying a house when your older. It kinda gets you ready for the real world on a smaller scale.

But I guess the people that get a brand new BMW from daddy are probably going to get a house or apartment paid for by daddy so they really don't need the lesson.
(no offence to anyone on here)

thich
10-27-2003, 03:50 PM
There is no way I'd take a new car from my parents. When I was younger, I was offered USE of a vehicle and I paid all expenses of having the vehicle around. There is no sense of personal pride or accomplishment, IMO when it's just handed to you. My parents also came here with nothing but the clothes on their backs. They've made a very comfortable life for themselves - I feel 10x better knowing that they spend the money on themselves than to waste it on a car for me.

as do i... but every family functions differently.

my parents let me use the family vehicle to get from point a to point b and that's fine for now.

ae1969
10-27-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by thich
depends on the situation of the family don't u think?
if the parents are like WELL off... then really, what are they gonna do with the money right?

I think it becomes a tougher lesson if you are well off. The easy answer is to say yes.... for some of the same reasons that you outlined.

My family imigrated to Canada as well. We did well but for me it was always in the back of my mind that whatever I received from my parents was earned by my parents. They worked incredibly hard and I was well aware of that fact.

As an adult and father of 2 I can tell you that these are important lessons in life. It is too easy to fall in the mind set of I can own and have anything. I own a modest home and old cars even though I able to afford much more. I made a conscienous decision to limit myself as an example to my kids...........and let me tell you it is VERY hard even as a parent to not want to indulge your kids.

In regards to the kids being the retirement plan, you are right. In many cultures this is seen as a duty as much as an expectation. I am not sure how much longer it will go for either. I take care of my parents because of respect and admiration, but I have seen many cases in which resentment has developed from these costly gifts. Every case is different but it is still unhealthy to form an 'expected' depandancy between child and parent.

max_boost
10-27-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by maximus
But I guess the people that get a brand new BMW from daddy are probably going to get a house or apartment paid for by daddy so they really don't need the lesson.
(no offence to anyone on here)

Ok, that is true if the individual receiving these gifts are completely ignorant to the issues of hardwork, money, etc.

But if they have a relevant business mind or a good idea how good they have it, they are light years ahead of those who are struggling.

It's like, I work hard for everything but if I get handed a million bucks, I'll make another million easily on top of it.

Where as if a spoiled brat gets handed a million, he/she will just blow it all!

That's the major difference, depends on the individual! Well, that's my view point at least

PGTze
10-27-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
I would probably take it if it was a car that i wanted. ya free car is a free car but i coudn't see myself driving around in a gutless cavalier and i couldn't see myself acctually feeling good about selling and taking the money that my parents spent on a car for me. but thats just me
:werd:
I'm kinda thinking the same thing. It sounds like a good idea to sell the car, but how would your parents feel about that. There's more to this then just money, people are involved too. My parents would be pissed and take back the money I made if I would have sold a car they had given me. That's one of the downsides to it.

thich
10-27-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by ae1969

I think it becomes a tougher lesson if you are well off. The easy answer is to say yes.... for some of the same reasons that you outlined.

My family imigrated to Canada as well. We did well but for me it was always in the back of my mind that whatever I received from my parents was earned by my parents. They worked incredibly hard and I was well aware of that fact.

As an adult and father of 2 I can tell you that these are important lessons in life. It is too easy to fall in the mind set of I can own and have anything. I own a modest home and old cars even though I able to afford much more. I made a conscienous decision to limit myself as an example to my kids...........and let me tell you it is VERY hard even as a parent to not want to indulge your kids.

In regards to the kids being the retirement plan, you are right. In many cultures this is seen as a duty as much as an expectation. I am not sure how much longer it will go for either. I take care of my parents because of respect and admiration, but I have seen many cases in which resentment has developed from these costly gifts. Every case is different but it is still unhealthy to form an 'expected' depandancy between child and parent.

i agree that it is not healthy at all to form an expected dependancy b/w child and parent.

i am still living with my parents and i totally admire their dedication and their strength in light of the adversity and trials they faced leaving Vietnam at a very young age and coming here with no money and a bunch of kids to take care of.

my father taught me something ever since my first year of university that i will never forget: learn to build your own future and you will learn to treasure it. (something in those terms... but he said it in Viet)

my siblings are completely different though.
as they all expect my parents to hand them a silver platter or at least hold their hands for as long as possible... so i see the inherent dangers in that area.

Maxboost: good and relevant point to; depends on the individual as well.

maximus
10-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Ok, that is true if the individual receiving these gifts are completely ignorant to the issues of hardwork, money, etc.

But if they have a relevant business mind or a good idea how good they have it, they are light years ahead of those who are struggling.

It's like, I work hard for everything but if I get handed a million bucks, I'll make another million easily on top of it.

Where as if a spoiled brat gets handed a million, he/she will just blow it all!

That's the major difference, depends on the individual! Well, that's my view point at least

Good point! But don't you think that by giving them more when they are young they are almost giving them a security blanket that they don't need to learn anything else? Eg getting a BMW when turn 16. When you're that young its easier to fall into a place where you don't need to learn anything because everything is handed too you. I've seen it happen, but true it does depend on the individual, but I think by getting more younger then its more likely you'll waste your potential.

/////AMG
10-27-2003, 05:49 PM
Wouldn't take it

three.eighteen.
10-27-2003, 05:55 PM
wow, i guess i look like a really spoiled brat on paper then...my grandma gave me a sizeable amount of money when i graduated high school, as a result i drive a bmw...i dont think anyone would say no to "here's alot of free money, go buy a nice car"

maximus
10-27-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
wow, i guess i look like a really spoiled brat on paper then...my grandma gave me a sizeable amount of money when i graduated high school, as a result i drive a bmw...i dont think anyone would say no to "here's alot of free money, go buy a nice car"

I probably would have used the money for university. Then again I have to work to pay for that myself too. Everybody seems to have money...send some over my way.
:tongue:

92 Teg-B18A
10-27-2003, 06:12 PM
I'd split it with them, if I got to choose the car of course.

EK 2.0
10-27-2003, 06:13 PM
I need a winter beater so I would take anything man...

bosa
10-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I probly would. :dunno:

illeagle
10-27-2003, 07:03 PM
I'd have to say no. My parents will use the car against me. ie.
" you diden't take out the trash, no driving for you!" OR
" drive your sister here, drive your mom here"

PGTze
10-29-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
I'd have to say no. My parents will use the car against me. ie.
" you diden't take out the trash, no driving for you!" OR
" drive your sister here, drive your mom here"

I wouldn't want them to hold it over my head like that :thumbsdow:.

Hakkola
10-29-2003, 02:25 PM
If you live at home you SHOULD do those things though, I drive my sister around sometimes, and my parents sometimes, no question, even if I paid for everything I have in my house I'd still help out, I didn't pay for the house.

civic_rida
10-29-2003, 02:42 PM
Why wouldnt you help out. Anyways it just seems that the people who got a car from the parents are sayin yes and the people who saved for a car are sayin no.

So many people say that gettin a car from your parents is a bad thing and how you should save for a car yourself.
My point is that so many people after highschool went into the workforce to save up for a car or to make payments on a car.
Most of the people whose parents bought them a car went to school.

So if you wanna drive a car that is 10 000 + like most people would than you better have a full time job if you wanna pay for it
But are you willing to sacrafice education for it.

This is for the people between 16-24

Loose
10-29-2003, 03:35 PM
I'd take it, if it were offered.

The only thing that bugs me about some "takers", are those that strut like they are better than other dudes who worked for their shit and don't have nice of rides, and those that pretend they worked for it when it was really a gift.

cp1
10-29-2003, 03:55 PM
whats the difference between this and having your parents pay your tuition at uni or sait? most people i know their parents do that and they dont complain? I myself would take neither tho i have in the past i got a hand-me-down 84 pontiac sunbird when i was 18 which i quickly bashed to hell = net value of said vehicle = $200.00 max

cp1
10-29-2003, 03:56 PM
"a 'Gift' is not 'Earned' it is usually unappreciated!"

ReMiXed lude
10-29-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Ben
If it was a cavalier, take it, sell it immediatly
I could never do that. You cant accept a gift and get rid of it, especially that expensive and from your folks.

/////AMG
10-29-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Loose
I'd take it, if it were offered.

The only thing that bugs me about some "takers", are those that strut like they are better than other dudes who worked for their shit and don't have nice of rides, and those that pretend they worked for it when it was really a gift.

Originally posted by ThE ReMiX

I could never do that. You cant accept a gift and get rid of it, especially that expensive and from your folks.

Same here. Think about hwo much thought they put into it, because obviously most parents wouldn't want their kids driving until whenever they think so. Think how they would feel after they found out you sold something that they earned for YOU and you just sold it for $$$.:thumbsdow

Just my opinion, everyone has their own.

maximus
10-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by ThE ReMiX

Exactly.
Thats like giving your GF or BF an expensive gift like a ring or something and they turn around and sell it because they wanted the money instead. How would you feel??

Mikko
10-29-2003, 08:48 PM
I would take it.

But - I would consider it theirs, used on loan by me. And I would either sell it later and pay them back what I could, or just pay them off somehow.

Then I would consider it to be mine.

I have no problem using my parents cars, but I would never consider them mine. I just can't see things, especially big things, as purely mine. It belongs to whoever earned it and paid for it.

This is also the way I see others - they say it's 'theirs' but I don't really agree, not at heart at least.