PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the TDI...

Weapon_R
10-27-2003, 12:17 AM
I'm thinking about selling my car and buying something a little more suitable.

I'm looking for reliability. After three years of owning my Acura, i've come to be VERY accustomed to reliability. It's probably been in the shop once in that time, and only to repair what I wrecked. I've never had to replace ANYTHING on it unless it was an aftermarket, but anyways...

The Jetta TDI is pretty interesting. But i'm seriously looking for something with a bit more power than my Integra, and it doesn't seem like the TDI will tow the line. I know suffeks has a Golf with a lot of Torque, but how fast are these things in relation to other cars? And how reliable are they? I'm looking for the newer body style Jetta, but i'm really tempted to buy the 1.8T instead - the only reason i'm considering the TDI is because this one will have to be automatic and i'm not sure if the auto TDI is quick, and besides, the mileage of the TDI sounds damn good.

Any input on these two cars is much appreciated.

Ben
10-27-2003, 12:27 AM
TDI is slow.

TDI Milage is great.

TDI motor is bomb proof. Rated at a half million miles.

TDI runs mid 17's in the quarter chipped.

TDI has lots or torque is great for city driving.

TDI Auto is shit for speed.

1.8T is shitty milage.

1.8T is higher Insurance.

1.8T has tiptronic available, but still slow.

1.8T is fast.

1.8T has more potential.

1.8T doesn't seem to be what you are looking for.

Speed and fuel economy dont mix well.

Fluidic
10-27-2003, 12:36 AM
Excellent overview Tyrese. ;) :thumbsup:

max_boost
10-27-2003, 12:53 AM
TDI's don't come cheap when purchased brand new.....I think I'm going to find a used one if I do decide to get one

Weapon_R
10-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
TDI's don't come cheap when purchased brand new.....I think I'm going to find a used one if I do decide to get one

Yep i'm thinking about getting a used one (2001 or so) but damn, it seems like it's everything I don't want in a car. Mid 17's chipped, even with the 250+ lbs of torque that Suffeks has?

max_boost
10-27-2003, 01:06 AM
I think the GSR would suit your needs better:D

James
10-27-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Ben
TDI is slow.

TDI Milage is great.

TDI motor is bomb proof. Rated at a half million miles.

TDI runs mid 17's in the quarter chipped.

TDI has lots or torque is great for city driving.

TDI Auto is shit for speed.

1.8T is shitty milage.

1.8T is higher Insurance.

1.8T has tiptronic available, but still slow.

1.8T is fast.

1.8T has more potential.

1.8T doesn't seem to be what you are looking for.

Speed and fuel economy dont mix well.

:werd:.and im pretty sure bart didnt have 250+ torque, i think it was somewhere around 210, but still, i raced him once in my MR2 and it was dead even and i was running high 16's at the time, but yet he only managed 17's at the track.so i dont know.....AUTO TDI's are BRUTAL!!

Weapon_R
10-27-2003, 01:12 AM
What does the 1.8T get for mileage, and how fast can they be chipped?

And is that engine offered in any earlier VW's?

James
10-27-2003, 01:17 AM
I thought you hated VW's?? :confused:....finally realizing they dont suck?

Fluidic
10-27-2003, 01:24 AM
I'm selling my Jetta... buy mine. :D

Would you like to take a test-drive?

Weapon_R
10-27-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by James

I don't think I ever said that I hated VWs. We've had a lot of bad luck in the past with them, but those were the older MKII's that were poorly built. I think the newer ones are okay, and I wouldn't keep it for more than a couple of years anyways....

I think the newer Jettas are incredible cars and they look pretty pimp, especially the white ones.

Fluidic: Looking for a stock auto (I know, but I have to get an auto). I'm not sure if yours is, but let me know.

Fluidic
10-27-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I think the newer Jettas are incredible cars and they look pretty pimp, especially the white ones.

Fluidic: Looking for a stock auto (I know, but I have to get an auto). I'm not sure if yours is, but let me know.

lol -- white IS pimp! :bigpimp:

That's cool... auto's on the dubs are pretty slow to shift and slow to respond to driver intervention. There's no question a VR6 or 1.8T auto is fast, but not "standard" fast.

Peter

Khyron
10-27-2003, 01:36 AM
I wouldn't say a 1.8T "sucks" for fuel economy. I mean it is a sub 2 liter 4 banger. I get 24-26mpg driving like an ass in the city, and 30ish on the highway. 690km on a tank going to Van (but I did have to gas up before getting there). I have a spreadsheet, but I don't want to scare you.

I also wanted decent fuel economy (so no V6+) but I didn't want a wimpy car either (so no hybrid/Acura 1.6EL). However, at the time I was buying I was ignorant of the TDI - I would recommend just driving both. Or at least get a ride in both.

Oh yah, and I'll mention again - if you get a VW do NOT expect the same build quality as Toyota/Honda. Rattles and other stupid annoying problems - if that drives you mad, think twice. If you think it gives the car character, welcome aboard.

Khyron

Fluidic
10-27-2003, 01:39 AM
With the way I drive... on a full tank of 91 (or 94 octane) fuel I can get either 250KM to a 59L tank or I can get just over 475KM.

That's with the way "I" drive. If you take it easy... people have reported over 600KM.

Peter

Khyron
10-27-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
With the way I drive... on a full tank of 91 (or 94 octane) fuel I can get either 250KM to a 59L tank or I can get just over 475KM.

That's with the way "I" drive. If you take it easy... people have reported over 600KM.

Peter

Holy shit Peter. Either you're getting screwed by the gas man, your car be busted, or you're bad at math.

When I was at the Race city track day, I was running 16 miles per gallon - and that's on a race track! If you're getting 250km on a tank, you're 10 MPG. That's hummer/expedition territory dude. Even 475 on a tank is less than 22 mpg. That's considered "low end/bad". However, neither is getting 59L into a 55L tank. :D

You have thrown no codes? Maybe u have a hole in your gas tank...

Khyron

Fluidic
10-27-2003, 02:01 AM
Ok... 55L... whatever... all I know if that I have video of my friend pumping fuel into his Golf and it was just about to climb to 60L.

No lie. Oh and I'm sure 16psi of boost doesn't help my gas situation.

Peter

nismodrifter
10-27-2003, 02:15 AM
after having the TDI now for approximately 3 weeks I must say that its a damn good car

It does not feel slow at all in normal driving conditions (Even step on it a bit....the power IS there)

The only time this car has felt slow is when going up the MASSIVE hill near CFCN by signal hill but thats pretty much expected since that is like the biggest hill around calgary

Probably won't be faster than an integra (I am not sure about this...I am just guessing here..) but I think its fine for anyone who is not planning on ripping around all the time......

littledan
10-27-2003, 11:52 AM
it's toe the line

limecorrado
10-27-2003, 02:20 PM
get a corrado they are faster that tdi for sure and probally better mileage than a 1.8t,plus they look better.IMO

Weapon_R
10-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by limecorrado
get a corrado they are faster that tdi for sure and probally better mileage than a 1.8t,plus they look better.IMO

Need something new

Moe Man
10-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by James

no he just got used to looking at my car everyday.......made his car look like shit :rofl:

/////AMG
10-27-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
I'm selling my Jetta... buy mine. :D

Would you like to take a test-drive?

TDI? How much for it? and KM's?

Fluidic
10-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Follow this link:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1083360

:D

sml
10-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Found this puppy in the bargin finder:
2001 VW Golf TDi, diesel, 64mpg, 5 spd, 2dr, cruise, alarm, good cond, 1 owner, 137,000 mostly hwy kms, $12,900, Canmore Tel: 403-678-9551

VWhooligan
10-27-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by limecorrado
,plus they look better.IMO

except when you paint it lime green