PDA

View Full Version : 5-Hour Energy ... does it work?

5hift
05-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Looking for any suggestions...

Taking a summer class thats moving really fast and as usual, I left studying until the night before. Usually I just take a dexadrine and can alertly study for 6-8 hours, but my source is gone for the summer.

Coffee does nothing to me, Red Bull gives me a 20 min sugar rush maybe. I was debating between trying caffine pills and this 5-Hour energy, which I've never tried but heard good things of.

Any one used this? Or suggestions for something I can grab that works better. Gotta pull a late nighter, and then somehow get up early and cram again for a 1 PM exam tommorow.

Thanks

97'Scort
05-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I've pulled several all-nighters and slammed one before the exam. Works like a charm. I'm frustratingly sensitive to all that caffiene and taurine in Monster, etc: I get all anxious and twitchy.

You do crash at the end. It more or less just puts it off for a few hours.

xLostx
05-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Caffeine doesn't affect me much but these do pick me up, I'll usually drink a Full throttle with one and I'll be good go to for a while haha

sxtasy
05-26-2009, 06:06 PM
i take it on long drives, and it definitely works when you are about to pass out at the wheel.

5000Audi
05-26-2009, 06:16 PM
redbull is the one for me.. i bring 3-5 of them with me when i drive all night to vancouver..

torob
05-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
redbull is the one for me.. i bring 3-5 of them with me when i drive all night to vancouver..

:banghead: I wouldn't recommend that

sxtasy
05-26-2009, 06:29 PM
I get terrible crashes from red bull, 5 hour energy doesnt seem to be to bad for crashes

5000Audi
05-26-2009, 06:32 PM
redbull is great haha, i dont seem to crash of any energy drink so its kinda nice..i just drink the redbull like a normal pop or softdrink.. they work good for me

Super_Geo
05-26-2009, 06:39 PM
If you're studying, use Yerba Mate instead of caffeine. It keeps you alerts without getting you jittery.

Do a search on Wiki on it. Great stuff, got me through finals season countless times!

max_boost
05-26-2009, 06:49 PM
^
Where do you buy this Yerba Mate stuff? :dunno:

you&me
05-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Provigil.

The go-to for US fighter pilots, tech CEOs, ER doctors, etc.

Article here - http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=302565058&o=int&prev=sub&p=77

Super_Geo
05-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^

It's an Argentinian/Peruvian thing, you can either get it at vitamin stores where they'll charge you an arm and a leg, or at Argentinian bakeries in the NE (I went to one in Abbeydale) and get it for super cheap.

I think the difference was like $15/100g @ a health store vs. $10/1000g at an Argentinian shop.

Shogged
05-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I wish they worked for me! I don't know if its just years of soft drink consumption that has granted me some kind of immunity, but I can drink a redbull or a 5 hour energy and be asleep 10 minutes later.

5hift
05-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Shogged
I wish they worked for me! I don't know if its just years of soft drink consumption that has granted me some kind of immunity, but I can drink a redbull or a 5 hour energy and be asleep 10 minutes later.

Same boat as you. I've never really drank that much soft drinks, but drinking even a bold/strong mug of coffee does nothing. Very often I'll have a cup at 9-10 and then be sleepy before midnight. Red Bull doesnt really wake me up, I just feel jittery for 20ish mins and then burn out.

I just bought 2 of the "5 Hour Energy's", and 1 of some new Extra Strength version of the same thing. Gonna try one of the regular ones for tonight, hopefully it works because I have a ton of shit to do tonight.

dandia89
05-26-2009, 07:53 PM
i'm the exactly the same haha. i got my buddy to give me his dex or adderal but i couldn't rely on it because he had a limited supply. last semester i just ended up studying for maybe an hour or two a day and busting my ass on the last week before exams and i did alright.

i think it's more of with stress if anything, if you're not motivated and you know it's not difficult, you're gonna get sleepy and just wanna dose off

nich148_9
05-26-2009, 08:57 PM
http://www.crazynfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/espresso.jpg

Works for me. Dunno why I ever bothered with energy drinks :dunno:
Need more caffeine than a shot can deliver? Make it a double and top it with drip coffee.

TYMSMNY
05-26-2009, 09:27 PM
^

Comes in a drink as well. Community Natural Foods has it.

As for the 5hour energy, I take it for drives late in the day to kelowna, vancouver, edmonton, etc. I find that you don't crash as much, and no sugar. Extra strength FTW.

I've also gone and tried this all-natural energy shots from the health store... does alright, no crash. Can be found in the drinks section.

I stay away from redbull, monster, etc. Too much liquid and big crash at the end of it.

phreezee
05-26-2009, 09:58 PM
I love 5 hour energy, but it's more like 3 hour energy once you build your tolerance.

benz_890
05-26-2009, 10:03 PM
redbull is great haha, i dont seem to crash of any energy drink so its kinda nice..i just drink the redbull like a normal pop or softdrink.. they work good for me

:werd:

^

Originally posted by Super_Geo

It's an Argentinian/Peruvian thing, you can either get it at vitamin stores where they'll charge you an arm and a leg, or at Argentinian bakeries in the NE (I went to one in Abbeydale) and get it for super cheap.

I think the difference was like $15/100g @ a health store vs. $10/1000g at an Argentinian shop.

My mom gets it at Superstore

B4tMan
05-26-2009, 10:13 PM

how much time does it take you to get there ? :) my last trip was 9 hours through Revelstoke

GL86
05-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Caffeine pills from your local sports supplement store is my recommendation. I used to do monsters and red bulls but the sugar was just too much for me. Careful though... if you take it for long periods of time you will become immune to it.

maxomilll
05-26-2009, 10:17 PM
my buddy took 5 hour energy, worked great for five hours but then he had the worst crash of his life.

Neil4Speed
05-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Never worked for me, I have really high caffeine tolerance though.

97'Scort
05-26-2009, 11:45 PM
The other thing you could try is find somebody with a Dexadrine prescrip and get your hands on one of those. It's the same thing the US figher pilots use as a "go" pill.

It'll also balance you out if you have ADD :nut:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexadrine

nj2Type-S
05-26-2009, 11:47 PM
5 hour energy drink worked for me when i drove from saskatoon. i was up for 5 hours before i started to get tired. i didn't feel a huge crash, though.

Jeremiah
05-27-2009, 12:03 AM
i dont really think it works for me, i have a buddy who had a shitload of them, and i had two and fell asleep shortly after, the taste was good but it didn't give me any energy

jsn
05-27-2009, 12:41 AM
it doesn't really work for me. I still find myself falling asleep when studying. Haven't tried it for long drives though. I find it to be about the same as energy drinks except less sugar. Espresso/coffees work best for me now.

ronaldo
05-27-2009, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by nich148_9
http://www.crazynfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/espresso.jpg

Works for me. Dunno why I ever bothered with energy drinks :dunno:
Need more caffeine than a shot can deliver? Make it a double and top it with drip coffee.

Drip coffee with a double shot of espresso over top:thumbsup: Good Earth calls it a High Test:drool:

adam c
05-27-2009, 02:01 AM
works for me but i have to drink water for it to work. after 3-4 hours i get sleepy and ones after that dont work

5hift
05-27-2009, 05:48 AM
Didnt work ...

took it just past 8 PM, by 10:30 I was yawning, 11:30 sound asleep.

Lets see how the extra strength one works this morning.

clem24
05-27-2009, 07:24 AM

Fuck.. It's selfish shit like this that pisses me off. :banghead:

Rat Fink
05-27-2009, 08:06 AM

urban.one
05-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Light roast has more caffeine than a dark roast as caffeine is reduced as a result of the roasting process (not quite that straightforward but stick with light to get more caffeine). Most people wrongly assume dark has more bcause of its strong flavour.

Originally posted by 5hift

I've never really drank that much soft drinks, but drinking even a bold/strong mug of coffee does nothing.

eb0i
05-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Or you can schedule your life a little better to allow for better studying time. :dunno:

Taking drugs (dex) to study, imo, is lame :thumbsdow

jazzyb
05-27-2009, 08:55 AM
dex kicks ass for studying.

Mar
05-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Why not just change your diet? All the ingredients in these drinks can be found naturally in various foods. Also if you get minimal exercise you'll feel less lethargic.

eb0i
05-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Why not just change your diet? All the ingredients in these drinks can be found naturally in various foods. Also if you get minimal exercise you'll feel less lethargic.

That would be to easy and logical. People nowadays rather look for the easy out and sadly it is to the point where they need to do drugs to study.

5hift
05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by eb0i
Or you can schedule your life a little better to allow for better studying time. :dunno:

Taking drugs (dex) to study, imo, is lame :thumbsdow

Haha I was waiting for the accountability police to show up.

Notice I posted the question on Beyond and didnt call up my Grandma for advice.

I'm taking two high level uni courses in a summer session that moves twice as fast. On top of that I have a life; I realize time constrainsts probably dont exist for someone running a daily blog no one reads, but for me they do.

Only people who hate on dex are those that cant get it or are jealous of the results others get from it. Why else would you care?

googe
05-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by you&me
Provigil.

Article here - http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=302565058&o=int&prev=sub&p=77

^This.

But it's hard to find. At least there are enough ADD kids around that finding Dex isn't impossible.

Originally posted by Mar

These self righteous types are silly. What natural food has stimulants in it exactly?

Im surprised we haven't got the "an apple has as much energy as a cup of coffee" yet :rofl:

Only people who hate on dex are those that cant get it or are jealous of the results others get from it. Why else would you care?

Don't leave out the right wing religious DARE nuts.

5hift
05-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah finding dex normally is easy, but this is summer session so most of Lethbridge is deserted. If any drug dealers want to move to Leth for the summer, its wide open as most low level guys here are students and gone for the summer.

But yeah I'm not looking for lifestyle change suggestions in cleaning up my diet or working out. I'm talking about cramming for a two days for a test. How will overhauling my diet help me right now? Fuck I'm surprised no one suggestion a study skills seminar.

Mar
05-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by googe
These self righteous types are silly. What natural food has stimulants in it exactly?

Im surprised we haven't got the "an apple has as much energy as a cup of coffee" yet :rofl:

It's not self righteous, it's paying more attention to my body rather than throwing drugs at it.
- glucose is a stimulant for your brain, so eating chocolate while you study or right before an exam will help you remember more
- going to bed right after finishing studying will help you remember more since there is less time for distractions to increase your memory loss
- studying in settings similar to the testing settings will help you recover information better by association.

It's like slamming down an energy drink before a race or eating a fat plate of pasta the night before, you get the same effects. And one is healthier for you.

I'm not telling you nor anyone else what to do, I don't care. I'm simply trying to educate anyone interested that you don't have to be a slave to drug corporations and media marketing techniques.

Chris101
05-27-2009, 02:18 PM

I'm taking two high level uni courses in a summer session that moves twice as fast. On top of that I have a life; I realize time constrainsts probably dont exist for someone running a daily blog no one reads, but for me they do.

Well that was rather douchey.

TYMSMNY
05-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by you&me
Provigil.

Hook me (us) up. legally. :D

Criticull
05-27-2009, 02:37 PM

You will have no life with two concurrent summer courses, don't worry about it.

sh0ko
05-27-2009, 04:08 PM
hahaha last time my buddy took that 5 hr energy stuff.. straight to the bathroom he went to puke for an hour

5hift
05-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Criticull

You will have no life with two concurrent summer courses, don't worry about it.

Yeah I found out the hard way not to take two tough courses in the summer again. 5 hour class on monday and weds. What we learned in class this Monday, we got tested on today in a midterm.

The_Rural_Juror
05-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm going to need something to keep me awake too. :(

googe
05-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Mar

It's not self righteous, it's paying more attention to my body rather than throwing drugs at it.
- glucose is a stimulant for your brain, so eating chocolate while you study or right before an exam will help you remember more
- going to bed right after finishing studying will help you remember more since there is less time for distractions to increase your memory loss
- studying in settings similar to the testing settings will help you recover information better by association.

It's like slamming down an energy drink before a race or eating a fat plate of pasta the night before, you get the same effects. And one is healthier for you.

I'm not telling you nor anyone else what to do, I don't care. I'm simply trying to educate anyone interested that you don't have to be a drug corporations and media marketing techniques.

:rofl:

Did you guys know that glucose is a stimulant?

I think you need to read about what a stimulant is, and how the central nervous system works, before going holier than thou on the internet.

Mar
05-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by googe

:rofl:

Did you guys know that glucose is a stimulant?

I think you need to read about what a stimulant is, and how the central nervous system works, before going holier than thou on the internet.
Normally I would accept that people make mistakes and let you know how it works. But if you're going to drop to a level where you make fun of someone without all the facts, I'll be a little more sarcastic about it. Glucose stimulates the brain in a way that boosts cognitive performance and if you weren't so closed minded you'd realize there are a broad variety of effects from a stimulant. One like caffeine is defined a stimulant because it increases awareness. Glucose stimulates the production of seratonine in the brain.

What something stimulates is irrelevant, it doesn't have to promote awareness and concentration in order to be classified as a stimulant.

When technical research and knowledge is involved, it's not called holier-than-though. It's called education and self interest. Quit being so sarcastic and start being nicer to people, you'll learn much more that way.

scboss
05-28-2009, 05:10 PM
this 5 hour stuff is garbage, i used to take these and they make you dehydrated. Plus after about a week they have the same effects as a cup of coffee. In the long run its just gonna make you more tired when your not taking them.

superboss
05-28-2009, 11:25 PM
No they dont work, not for me anyway!!!!

Grogador
05-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Works great for me and I don't burn out like from Redbull's. I really only drink the stuff like once a month... People complain about the taste but I don't mind the orange, it's just a shot.

googe
05-29-2009, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Mar

Normally I would accept that people make mistakes and let you know how it works. But if you're going to drop to a level where you make fun of someone without all the facts, I'll be a little more sarcastic about it. Glucose stimulates the brain in a way that boosts cognitive performance and if you weren't so closed minded you'd realize there are a broad variety of effects from a stimulant. One like caffeine is defined a stimulant because it increases awareness. Glucose stimulates the production of seratonine in the brain.

What something stimulates is irrelevant, it doesn't have to promote awareness and concentration in order to be classified as a stimulant.

When technical research and knowledge is involved, it's not called holier-than-though. It's called education and self interest. Quit being so sarcastic and start being nicer to people, you'll learn much more that way.

no. caffeine is a stimulant because it artificially forces the brain to release certain neurotransmitters that control the central nervous system, and then inhibits mechanisms that normally terminate these. it basically binds with specific receptors and fools your brain into thinking there is some kind of emergency, so it produces adrenaline, while preventing the production of a hormone that allows sleep, which gives you a big kick in the ass.

this is nothing at all to do with "energy" in the carbohydrate sense, and the mechanism of action is in no way similar. you are confusing the term "stimulant" with anything that has what can be described as a "stimulating effect" on something, when we are referring to the psychoactive drug class. that would be like calling a sad movie a "depressant". caffeine doesnt actually have any 'energy' content, its just labeled "energy drink" for marketing purposes.

put it this way, excessive glucose will raise your blood sugar and be stored as fat. excessive caffeine, or other cns stimulants, will cause cardiac arrest and kill you. this is because they are drugs, and normal diet foods are not drugs. this should make it obvious that its apples to oranges and neither is a substitute for the other.

5hift
05-29-2009, 10:35 AM
so to conclude:

5 hour engery doesnt really work

Googe using his own explanation made textbook citing Mar look like a tool.

:closed:

R!zz0
05-29-2009, 11:04 AM
5 hour engery doesnt really work

That's right. I took the 5 hour energy drink and started feeling really tired after 4 and a half hours later.

5hift
05-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0

That's right. I took the 5 hour energy drink and started feeling really tired after 4 and a half hours later.

If your the kind of person that gets all jittery from a half cup of coffee or dizzy from one beer maybe not. Otherwise it doenst really do anything.