PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Cycling Meets

swak
05-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Would anyone be interested in a beyond ride?
If we get enough possible interest, i will look into putting something together.

Vagabond142
05-26-2009, 08:25 PM
I think we should use this thread for stuff like road/path/highways rides, and the other one for the DH/XC types :)

D'z Nutz
05-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Depending on time and place, I'd definitely be interested.

zipdoa
05-26-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm down for a DH/FR ride!

swak
05-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
I think we should use this thread for stuff like road/path/highways rides, and the other one for the DH/XC types :)

Thats what i was referring to.
Im a 'road' kinda guy.

Be it a quick short ride to Cochrane, grab lunch or something then come back, or something around Calgary

Vagabond142
05-26-2009, 08:51 PM
I love going down the hill to Cochrane.... coming back up, not so much XD

swak
05-26-2009, 09:00 PM
ahahaha... (You're thankful you got the small chain ring for that hill!)
I agree 100% there, but is excellant for training purposes at the same time.

Adrenaline101
05-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Me and the roads dont get along too well, but if theres ever a pathway/trail ride going down I would love to try and come do that.

Vagabond142
05-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Well, I keep bouncing around the idea of a relaxed ride along the bow pathway. Like, start in Bowness, cruise to downtown, lunch it up on the greenspaces there, then either go south down the pathway or back up to Bowness. Only problem is that downtown areas can get pretty clogged with lunchtime joggers :dunno:

swak
05-27-2009, 12:18 AM
i like the idea, but your 100% right there...
Pathways can be ridiculous trying to ride at really anytime of the day.

corsvette
05-27-2009, 11:00 PM
I ride the cannal that runs Chestermere/Calgary sometimes,if you do the whole path its about 60kms, a very quiet path,not many people venture too far beyond Chestermere (walkers ect.)Its a decent ride.

flipstah
05-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Depending on time and place, I'd definitely be interested.

D'z Nutz
05-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
I ride the cannal that runs Chestermere/Calgary sometimes,if you do the whole path its about 60kms, a very quiet path,not many people venture too far beyond Chestermere (walkers ect.)Its a decent ride.

What is this canal you speak of? I live just off of 68th and 16th, so it only takes me 35 minutes if the wind is good from my house to Sobey's in Chestermere. I wouldn't mind checking this out.

corsvette
05-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

What is this canal you speak of? I live just off of 68th and 16th, so it only takes me 35 minutes if the wind is good from my house to Sobey's in Chestermere. I wouldn't mind checking this out.
It starts at the east end of the lake and runs along the Canal all the way to the max bell arena,i allways start at the lake,i hardly ever see any other riders out there other than familys with a coupe of kidlets.The Calgary path website i think has a map.

samo147
05-28-2009, 12:11 AM
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Calgary-Bike-Paths-100km-route

thats the route just follow it from max bell i dont know what the other stuff is

JWL
05-28-2009, 02:28 AM
:( Wish I could join you guys - sounds like it'll be fun.

Vagabond142
05-28-2009, 10:13 AM
That looks like the superlong walkway down the NW leading into Max Bell... I'll take my camera today riding and scout it out. Good uphill slog to get there, will appreciate the downhill XD I live in Charleswood, btw, so I can pretty much just power up 14th st to Berkshire and ride on over. :thumbsup: I'll do the pathway down to Memorial and hop on the bow trail there. Look for a scouting report and a few pictures later today :D

flipstah
05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm actually planning to ride from Coral Springs to the University via Memorial today but I don't know where to start...

Vagabond142
05-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Oaky... just got back all sweaty and worked out from the scouting ride.

Firstly, got to an awesome place just a few kilometers in from the start of the pathway, whipped out the camera to take a picture and.... batteries are flat :facepalm:

All in all, I would consider it to a mostly level pathway, with some gentle uphills and one or two really good downhills to get some wind going and cool yourself off. I did Beddington and Berkshire to Memorial... the only really roady bit was near McKnight, because the pathway does a vicious 180 blind hairpin after going under a low bridge, which leads straight into a 20 degree slope hill for about 30 feet which dumps you directly onto a road -_-

Oh, and if you want a serious workout, starting at Northmount, go all the way to Berkshire without getting off your bike... it's about 10 degrees slope the ENTIRE WAY >.< (taken as an average)

Otherwise, at a relaxed pace, the ENTIRE pathway, based on my time on the northwest stretch, could probably be done in about 6-8 hours, making it a full day ride.

My rating for the NW section:

Difficulty: begginer (only one hard 180 turn, gentle hills, great views)
Average traffic: Very light
Access to stopping points: Lots of parks, pathway pulloffs, benches along the entire way. Excellent lunch spots if someone is planning a midday ride around there. If it's a famly event, once you're on the Deerfoot section of the pathway, there is a park just after (before? I forget) 64th with a playground and a covered picnicing area.
Out of 5: 4. Pathway could use a tiny bit of repaving in some areas, and there are a couple of really weird pathway joins from behind blind spots that you need to keep an eye on for people joining the pathway, otherwise rocking. Just follow the "Nose Creek Pathway" signs :)

codetrap
06-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Are you talking the whole route from Beddington down to memorial, and then just back to Beddington?

I was doing the Coventry Hills to DT commute daily for awhile last summer, and got it down to 50 minutes each way. If you're taking it easy, probably closer to 1.5 hours from Coventry to DT..

I also know what you mean about that hairpin then the climb before the golf course, I usually hopped onto the road at the intersection, then jumped back on to the path at the top of the hill.

Vagabond142
06-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Are you talking the whole route from Beddington down to memorial, and then just back to Beddington?

I was doing the Coventry Hills to DT commute daily for awhile last summer, and got it down to 50 minutes each way. If you're taking it easy, probably closer to 1.5 hours from Coventry to DT..

I also know what you mean about that hairpin then the climb before the golf course, I usually hopped onto the road at the intersection, then jumped back on to the path at the top of the hill.

I just did Beddington and Berkshire down to Memorial, then went along the Bow Trail once at Memorial.

When I have a person with a vehicle available in Chestemere, I'll do the entire 100 km, but that probably won't be for a month and a bit.

msommers
06-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Wouldn't mind going this Sunday if anyone wants to go? Maybe down in Fish Creek or anywhere on the paths. I have the underwear run the day before so nothing reeeeally far but nice to go out at least!

flipstah
06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Anyone going on the cruise this Sunday? Maybe we can bike around Cascade for kicks? Then BBQ!