PDA

View Full Version : Is my baby worth saving?

Socialworks
05-26-2009, 10:26 PM
94 Cavalier RS
6 cylinder
181,000 km
Bought it in mint condition with 30,000 on it in 2003
Price: $2500 (private sale)
It's rusting at the bottom sides of the car
The car's been really good to me
Little technical problems over the years

Problem:

Battery is dead
Alternator needs to be replaced
Front Breaks gone

I'm thinking $600 to fix.

Is it worth fixing?

I'm emotionally attached to this car. It's been reliable and I love the power. I knew the time would come when I'd have to let it go and this could be it.

What do you think?

lachris
05-26-2009, 10:35 PM
if you like it fix it, but ask yourself if you sink $600 into it how long wil it last you or will it keep on breaking. At some point you have to cut bait and get something better. As I said though If you really like the car then fix it. I have an old beater that I keep on sinking money into cause I like it, dumb, but I like it!

idriveabox
05-26-2009, 10:52 PM
all 3 prob's are easy DIY. Maybe $200-300 in parts.

BlackArcher101
05-26-2009, 10:53 PM
The cost to fix that shouldn't be too much (if you can do it yourself). If you buy a different used vehicle, you may easily have to put that much into it right away.

Socialworks
05-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by idriveabox
all 3 prob's are easy DIY. Maybe $200-300 in parts.

So perhaps I should find another mechanic that might be cheaper?

B4tMan
05-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Keep it

revelations
05-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Front brake pads are gone or front discs, calipers, pads?

Mind you, if it has sentimental value....I'd be tempted to keep it regardless.

Mibz
05-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Socialworks

So perhaps I should find another mechanic that might be cheaper? If you care then do it yourself. $300 in parts sounds about right and when it's between "Fix this or get a new car" then what have you got to lose? If you screw it up then it's $300 which I doubt you would have blinked at when looking at a new car. If you succeed (which you will) then you'll feel like a million bucks.

Be a man. Do the right thing.

5000Audi
05-26-2009, 11:55 PM
front pads..40 bucks candian tire
Battery..60 bucks canadian tire
Alt... few bucks from pick n pull.. no where near 600 bucks to fix..

i use to have the same cavalier but 2 door and have replaced all those parts you list.. dont cost to much on a belly button car.

TorqueDog
05-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Fix it. For the money it'll cost, you might as well.

911fever
05-27-2009, 11:15 AM
you love the power?! LOL

bjstare
05-27-2009, 01:19 PM
If it weren't for the sentimental value I'd say drop it like a hot potato. It's at the age where this is just the beginning of many problems. Even though its a cheap fix, there will be one cheap fix after another, and pretty soon you've spent $2000 on a car thats worth $1500..... or maybe I was just unlucky. haha

ZorroAMG
05-27-2009, 01:22 PM
You paid 2500 for a 94 with 30k back in 93?

:dunno:

Supa Dexta
05-27-2009, 01:23 PM
84?

...power???

zetec452
05-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Keep it and fix it. You know the history, you know how it has been driven. You risk buying another car less reliable.

The parts that need replacing are wear and tear parts anyway that could go on the next car you buy.

chkolny541
05-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
you love the power?! LOL
what i also thought

Dumbass17
05-28-2009, 05:36 PM
i had a similar car and the alternator went

got a new one from pick n pull. $25 or so. threw it in within 15minutes. and i'm no mechanic

F5kyLine
05-28-2009, 06:47 PM
meh get something new.

or drive it till it falls apart in 2018 or something

Graham_A_M
05-28-2009, 06:52 PM
94 Cavalier RS
6 cylinder
181,000 km
Bought it in mint condition with 30,000 on it in 1993
Price: $2500 (private sale)
It's rusting at the bottom sides of the car
The car's been really good to me
Little technical problems over the years

Problem:

Battery is dead
Alternator needs to be replaced
Front Breaks gone

I'm thinking $600 to fix.

Is it worth fixing?

I'm emotionally attached to this car. It's been reliable and I love the power. I knew the time would come when I'd have to let it go and this could be it.

What do you think?

man thats fucking wierd. I know a guy that has a 1992 one, identical but his is red. He bought it new, and is also VERY attached to it, and wants to fix it up.

Yours isn't in too bad shape so I'd say go and fix it up, max you'd spend $150 on all used parts if you were to buy the battery and other parts used... new I'd say $600-1000.
For what its worth, may as well spend the $150, toss in the parts and keep going until it dies.

His has 340k on it, and its a fucking mobile train wreck so I told him to junk it, but at least yours sounds semi-decent. :)

Glad to see you're enjoying its ample power.;) :rofl:

badatusrnames
05-28-2009, 07:03 PM
I love the power.

:confused:

You definitely need to try a new car if you think your Cavalier is powerful...

theken
05-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Funny that those have more power than all of the stock 93 civics at that age

Graham_A_M
05-28-2009, 07:43 PM
^ Lets hope so being (at least a 2.8L) 6cylinder as mentioned

VetteRacin
05-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Lets hope so being (at least a 2.8L) 6cylinder as mentioned

Actually seeing as the car is a 94 it would have the 3.1L instead of the 2.8L.
And sure they aren't a powerhouse like some cars but they do have a lot of torque, especially considering they were an entry level car.

badatusrnames
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by theken
Funny that those have more power than all of the stock 93 civics at that age

I think just about anything does...

Socialworks
03-12-2010, 08:44 PM

Tik-Tok
03-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Free 2011 Kia > '94 Cavelier

http://www.thetorquereport.com/kia_koup3.jpg

revelations
03-12-2010, 08:55 PM
The Ford FOCUS has quite the media center - if youre into gadgets.

Microsoft SYNC I believe - which isnt bad for a compact car.

Socialworks
03-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Reasons to get rid of my car now:

It's rusting through so much that my mechanic is afraid to raise my car off the ground.

The driver's window doesn't work anymore.

The heat works when it wants to... I spent the winter wearing gloves in my car and having to drive with the windows down when the windows would fog up.

The A/C is cold but no power... not even worth it. In the summer I open all the doors and only enter after the temperature in the car is not hotter than the temperature outside of the car.

When it rains, the floors of the back passenger seats become soaked.

I'm putting any sound system in it.

People refuse to ride with me... they'd rather take the bus.

My car was the only car in my apartment garage that wasn't broken into nor vandalized (could mean something good though right? lol)

The lighter part disconnected and fell down into a place I can't get at.

I'm cherishing the few times when the car is running really smooth... no jerking forward, smooth gradual pickup, not coughing, not chocking during pickup, and no dips in the rpm as I accelerate to merge onto the highway.

*exhale*

What can I say...

I still love my car.

Socialworks
03-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Free 2011 Kia > '94 Cavelier

http://www.thetorquereport.com/kia_koup3.jpg

That looks nice but what's going on under the hood?

Socialworks
03-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Lucy.

Socialworks
03-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Suzy.

dj_honda
03-12-2010, 09:10 PM

Um, is there such thing as a 4 cyl car with wicked pickup? It just seems.... so... (I cannot describe the emotion I experience thinking about it).

Another thing: I'm a gadgets gal. Yes folks, despite popular opinion, I'm a gal.... with a fascination with cars it seems.

So. A four cyl, suv, car, crossover whatever...
Any wicked stereo systems I can either buy with the car or have installed. I want to be able to to 'store' as many songs/albums as possible in my car with voice activated song selections (genre, mood etc.). I know it exists.

So yes, apart from the typical stuff we look for in cars, the music piece and gadgets are a must. I want a car with a sound/gadget system that makes me tear up just thinking about it.

Get a new civic si with an ipod hookup

Socialworks
03-12-2010, 09:10 PM
No words...

Socialworks
03-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Me and another onlooker renamed this car...

"Pshhhiiiittt" (in amazement)

Socialworks
03-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Any comments on the Hyundai Genesis?

maxomilll
03-12-2010, 10:10 PM

Um, is there such thing as a 4 cyl car with wicked pickup? It just seems.... so... (I cannot describe the emotion I experience thinking about it).

SR20DET! get a nissan or a WRX 2.0l turbo's FTW those are both 4cyl with ''wicked pickup''

Graham_A_M
03-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah I think you should *really* junk the cavalier if its THAT bad. You're pissing away your money if you were to fix that up; if its that far gone. Best case scenario: I'd give you $1,500 for it, and thats only if it was ABSOLUTELY mint, with lots of recent repairs and nothing wrong with it. Currently, you car is worth perhaps $200-500. :(
I'd check into a Saturn Astra, or the new Ford Festiva thats coming to North America. Those new Malibu's are awesome too, I've yet to hear or read one bad thing about them. IF you have the money for it, I'd look at a G8. With the Flexfuel V8, it would go like a raped ape on PCB, and it still has 4 doors for your friends & family. :dunno:
Much the same with a Cobalt SS. Last time I was in Shaw GMC, they had an '09 Cobalt SS for $23k or something. For the performance that car offers, its hard to beat that. There are tons of performance kits available for it, and 260hp/260tq bone stock is something awesome for a gas sipping 2.0 I4.
I have a friend that has the Astra XR 2door, and its a wicked little car. Perhaps a touch underpowered in comparison to the rest of its performance attributes, but for what price it goes for, why not? I'd also check into the new Ford Fusions. Again, nothing but praise it seems for that car, and for a 4 door family car they sure look awesome.
That new Festiva has a ton of gagetry, so you may want to hold off until then.

Shlade
03-12-2010, 10:52 PM
you love the power?

what power.. Have you driven any other cars?

baygirl
03-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Socialworks- I was having a terrible day until I found this thread. When I read reasons to get rid of my car, I laughed so hard I cried. Thanks! As for being a girl who loves cars, I'm the same, even though I prefer older muscle cars ('69 Mustang:drool: ) over Buicks and Jags. Anyways, good luck with the Cavalier, I know it's not easy to say good-bye.

DannyO
03-12-2010, 11:14 PM

A KIA ...a friggin' Kia. I was offended and hung up the phone. She's now coming to realize just how serious I am.

I hope your joking, if not thats a really shitty thing to do.

Shlade
03-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by baygirl
I prefer older muscle cars ('69 Mustang:drool: )

I think i love you :poosie:

Ashers
03-13-2010, 03:59 AM
I, once upon a time, had a 1986 Pontiac Sunbird. Basically the same body with different lights. It was reliable in the sense that it started... and it was indestructible, but it was a POS. Snapped a timing chain, decided after 18 years that it needed a oxygen sensor (never had one from the factory), speedometer would intermittently work, and the transmission would get stuck in 3rd. Could never quite kill it though.

If the body is rusting through, time for a new car. It's just not safe anymore. Most 4 cylinders today have the same, if not more power than the old 3.1 V6, with better fuel economy. The 3.1L had roughly 120 Hp and 180 ft/lbs torque. The 2.5 i4 in my escape has 171 hp and torque.

slinkie
03-13-2010, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by maxomilll

SR20DET! get a nissan or a WRX 2.0l turbo's FTW those are both 4cyl with ''wicked pickup''

sti...speed3 :angel:

Vanner
03-13-2010, 11:10 AM
I had a '93 model almost like yours. Got it for free from my dad. After putting about $100 in repairs and had it in good running. Took it for a long distance trip and after about 4,000 kms and 2 weeks later back home... the engine begin having trouble. Then about one week later - it died from my work when I went for home.

That was it! Well, it did had 316,000 kms under the belt and as it was free to me. All I did was spent $100 in repairs but got a good holiday and 2 months out of it!

If your mom is willing to pay for a new car for you - tell her you want something other as a model within same reasonable price what a Kia car gets. That's your condition in order to junk your old beater.

Socialworks
03-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by DannyO

I hope your joking, if not thats a really shitty thing to do.

Yes... it could be seen as a shitty thing to do.

I hung up the phone...meaning that was the neck thought and action of relevance in that situation. I don't recall anything else that was said. The convo ended when she said Kia. The next thing I recall is hanging up the phone.

I didn't hang up on her mid sentence or anything like that but she told me that she knew I had tuned out after her offer.

inline6turbo
03-13-2010, 07:47 PM
So your mom has offered to buy you a car... and you hang the phone up because it doesn't meet your standards?

You deserve a bus pass. Get a life.

PulsePro
03-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
So your mom has offered to buy you a car... and you hang the phone up because it doesn't meet your standards?

very true.

and OP, you should respect your parents, it's not like they're selling you or anything, they're offering to buy you a car!!

Socialworks
03-13-2010, 08:15 PM

Nothing is wrong with a bus pass by the way. It is not a 'less than' means of transportation. I would take the bus if it was cost efficient for me to do so (before you jump on this comment, please look up 'cost efficiency' and all it may encompass).

I'm also not a fan of 'at least' mentality that you seem to have subscribed to....the mentality where you expect people to take whatever is given to them and be grateful but 'at least....'?

I'm not interested in taking any car for the sake of having car.

If you cannot come up with one context that would make what your comment sound ridiculously naive, then you're as good as you'll ever be. Good luck with that.

I told my mother about your comment and she laughed at your remark and reassured me that you're probably some kid with little life experience that likes to use other people's stories to make themselves feel like they actually have something of substance to say.

You're remark reflects an over simplistic view of the situation.

Get over yourself.

inline6turbo
03-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Respect and taking what's given/offered are two completely separate issues.

But I guess I should get ready for bed now, being a little kid is tough and mommy's yelling about me being on the computer so late :(

SRT10Killer
03-13-2010, 08:38 PM

wow.....

I wish my mom offered to buy me new rims... or at least tires

Kittens11
03-14-2010, 12:19 AM
lol beyond is always good for a laugh....:drama:

ClearBluewater
03-14-2010, 03:44 PM
http://yovia.com/blogs/davidappelman/files/2009/10/troll-web.jpg

rage2
03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by SRT10Killer
wow.....

I wish my mom offered to buy me new rims... or at least tires
My parents ask me to buy THEM rims, cars, house... so wish it was the other way around.

thepyrofish
03-15-2010, 08:34 AM
If you cannot come up with one context that would make what your comment sound ridiculously naive, then you're as good as you'll ever be.

scat19
03-15-2010, 10:30 AM
They see him trollllin'

Wrinkly
03-15-2010, 12:33 PM

:werd: Sounds like the spoilt little bitch from the "wrong colour car from Daddy" video. If my kid reacted that way to such a generous offer, they'd get a swift clip round the ear 'ole no matter their age :whipped:

To the OP: As for you old POS car - maybe enter it in the "Cliff my ride" contest that Auto Trader is running.

Socialworks
05-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly

:werd: Sounds like the spoilt little bitch from the "wrong colour car from Daddy" video. If my kid reacted that way to such a generous offer, they'd get a swift clip round the ear 'ole no matter their age :whipped:

To the OP: As for you old POS car - maybe enter it in the "Cliff my ride" contest that Auto Trader is running.

Lol. You're so off it's not even insulting. It's ridiculously nieve.

This is an online forum and if you're going to get your jollies from throwing punk-ass jabs at people because you'll never meet them in person, have your fun.

If my kid reacted the way you just did to this post, I'd explain to them that their behaviour is what hood people would call 'punk bitch-ass ness' lol. You know, saying big bold things to people you'll never meet because you'll never meet them.

Why bother?

Hope you feel like a worthwhile human being now.

Cheers.

StreetRacerX
05-12-2010, 08:23 PM

Yes... it could be seen as a shitty thing to do.

I hung up the phone...meaning that was the neck thought and action of relevance in that situation. I don't recall anything else that was said. The convo ended when she said Kia. The next thing I recall is hanging up the phone.

I didn't hang up on her mid sentence or anything like that but she told me that she knew I had tuned out after her offer.

What I would have done, is recommended she buy me a different car in the same price range as the one she offered, maybe you and your mommy could go around town and you could pick one out together, or even better is if you said "thanks for the offer mom but I'm going to stick with my Cavalier because I enjoy driving it" or something along that line you wouldn't have to deal with the opinions regarding the way you handle family.

Now on topic, if the car has some kind of sentimental value to you, then fix it. If it is nothing more than an A to B that you could care less about, get rid of it. Simple.

Wrinkly
05-12-2010, 09:13 PM

Lol. You're so off it's not even insulting. It's ridiculously nieve.

This is an online forum and if you're going to get your jollies from throwing punk-ass jabs at people because you'll never meet them in person, have your fun.

If my kid reacted the way you just did to this post, I'd explain to them that their behaviour is what hood people would call 'punk bitch-ass ness' lol. You know, saying big bold things to people you'll never meet because you'll never meet them.

Why bother?

Hope you feel like a worthwhile human being now.

Cheers.

Yeah as a matter of fact, I do - thanks :thumbsup:

Obviously though, you don't. Or you wouldn't have edited your post about hanging up on your mum for offering to buy you a new car that didn't meet with your approval! That speaks volumes and merely serves to prove my point! As someone else said "Shitty thing to do" - and it still is. ;)

'nuff said :closed: