PDA

View Full Version : Camera Backpacks

logi
05-28-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm looking at getting a backpack for me d60 for travel purposes. Anyone have any suggestions on which one to get?

ive been looking at getting the Kata 3N1-10 bag from The camera store.

Just seeing what everyone else is using and what is recommended. Probably something around this size nothing bigger.

Thanks

BerserkerCatSplat
05-28-2009, 08:27 AM
The Kata 3N1 design is quite good, and it's the one I'd buy if I were in the market for a slingbag.

Mitsu3000gt
05-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Just go to TCS and start trying out different bags - you can bring your camera stuff too if you want.

The Lowepro Slingshots, Lowepro Fastpacks, and Kata 3N1's are probably the ones to look at though. It's incredibly handy not having to take the bag off of your back to get the camera out.

Phihalo
05-28-2009, 09:00 AM
This is the one i use and i am quite happy with it. It carries all my basic gears and the best thing is that it doesn't look like a camear bag :D (so less risky when travelling around)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/465652.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat
05-28-2009, 09:06 AM
What model is that Tamrac?

Phihalo
05-28-2009, 09:20 AM
It's Adventure series 5549

I usually carries my long zoom 70-200, standard zoom 17-85, my flash, the body (of course), the standard 50mm, my memory cards, my umbrella (it freaking rains so randomly here in HK...), and it carries a laptop if neede (though i don't have one).

The top compartment i usually pack some snacks and a light jacket will do. Again, great to travel with, believe me I know since i don't have a car in HK

http://www.tamrac.com/5549.htm

clem24
05-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Well.. How much shit do you have/plan to bring with you? I have about 3 for different purposes... The slings are very popular and quite functional (plus can hold a lot depending on which one you get).

logi
05-28-2009, 10:53 AM
dont really have alot of stuff to carry around right now as i'm just getting started with the whole photography thing but will probably pick up a flash and extra lens or something in the long haul.

the thing with the kata bag is its not just a sling can be a backpack as well....

wouldnt mind a backpack that had a compartment like the tamrac one but thats huge..hahaha

msommers
05-28-2009, 06:29 PM
As I've said before, I f*cking hate my sling bag. I can never get it to work how I want and really isn't that accessible or handy. I'd much rather have a box style bag I could hang on my shoulder for walking around shots or a backpack for longer trips.

soupey
05-28-2009, 08:12 PM
ive got this kata for my camera

http://reviews.photographyreview.com/files/2007/10/kata_dr-467-open.jpg
http://www.yamiya.com.my/store/images/KATA/465gf.jpg
http://www.f-2.pl/allegro/kata465_off.jpg
http://www.yamiya.com.my/store/images/KATA/DR-465-467.jpg
has a laptop pouch, rain cover, and a decent amount of area for storage of other misc things.

89coupe
05-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Holy HUGE bags, I wouldn't want to be packing around a god awful lug of a bag like any of those.

Two lenses, two hoods, two filters, remote trigger, extra battery and my SlingShot, good to go!:thumbsup:

Similar packing to this, but not quite.

http://resources.mydakis.com/d883931a-fc2c-4658-9a51-031536beae5d/500/500

soupey
05-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Holy HUGE bags,...blablabla

Originally posted by logi
I'm looking at getting a backpack for me d60 for travel purposes. Anyone have any suggestions on which one to get?

ive been looking at getting the Kata 3N1-10 bag from The camera store.

Just seeing what everyone else is using and what is recommended. Probably something around this size nothing bigger.

Thanks

learn to read dude, jus cuz ur sporting some tiny bag doesnt mean it's optimal for travel purposes

he's probably looking to store than just a camera and 2 lenses in it. and already said he wanted one around that size,

did u even look up that bag before knocking on the sizes of everything mentioned already?

89coupe
05-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by soupey

learn to dude, jus cuz ur sporting some tiny bag doesnt mean it's optimal for travel purposes

he's probably looking to store than just a camera and 2 lenses in it. and already said he wanted one around that size,

did u even look up that bag before knocking on the sizes of everything mentioned already?

Learn to dude? Huh?

Everyone posted HUGE bags, who wants to travel with a HUGE bag?

"travel size"

Easy, compact, for travelling. Two lenses and a camera will do the job.

soupey
05-28-2009, 09:55 PM
learn to *read*, oops. either way, ur still missing out on what the OP said in the first place, hes looking to travel with it...and likely throw more than just the camera into it.

KKY
05-28-2009, 10:18 PM
If I ever get a backpack, I would probably look into something like the lowepro flipside. the bag opens from the back. Better peace of mind if I decided to travel to crowded/less safe places.

89coupe
05-28-2009, 10:31 PM
learn to *read*, oops. either way, ur still missing out on what the OP said in the first place, hes looking to travel with it...and likely throw more than just the camera into it.

Exactly, so why would you want to pack around a whole whack of shit while you travel.

soupey
05-28-2009, 10:51 PM
why would you want a dslr when a point and shoot takes pictures too? :banghead:...

if he didnt want to lug things around, he wouldnt have pointed out hte first bag he did, hell he coulda jus taken a pocketable camera and saved the hassle of buying a bag.

im done arguing with you. good night.

frozenrice
05-29-2009, 06:38 AM
This is the one I picked up :

http://www.photographyblog.com/images/products/caselogic_slrc_4_1.jpg

It may bit a bit smaller than the ones shown, but does the job. It does get heavy if I were to carry my laptop with it, but it's rare that I've used it for both at the same time for long periods.

89coupe
05-29-2009, 09:06 AM
why would you want a dslr when a point and shoot takes pictures too? :banghead:...

if he didnt want to lug things around, he wouldnt have pointed out hte first bag he did, hell he coulda jus taken a pocketable camera and saved the hassle of buying a bag.

im done arguing with you. good night.

The whole idea behind travelling is keeping it comfortable and compact.

I can carry two lenses that will work perfect for travelling and provide ample variety for scenic and portrait, all you really need for travel.

You wanna have your camera with you at all times, why lug around a big heavy bag everywhere you go, its just stupid.

msommers
05-29-2009, 09:21 AM
89Coupe, your needs and wants when travelling are going to differ than someone elses, ie: amount of lenses, camera bodies, filters, batteries etc. What works for you is great but obviously isn't going to work for everyone. That's why everyone has mentioned what they like/dislike and are letting the OP choose, not telling them what they need to have.

I'm really starting to get the impression you're just here to ruffle feathers and that's it, like seriously wtf dude.

The_Rural_Juror
05-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by msommers
89Coupe, your needs and wants when travelling are going to differ than someone elses, ie: amount of lenses, camera bodies, filters, batteries etc. What works for you is great but obviously isn't going to work for everyone. That's why everyone has mentioned what they like/dislike and are letting the OP choose, not telling them what they need to have.

I'm really starting to get the impression you're just here to ruffle feathers and that's it, like seriously wtf dude.

No way man. I respectly disagree. Mr 89coupe is full of useful information. f11 panoramas FTW!

OP:
I looked at the 3N1 a while ago. It's a well contructed bag, so you can't go wrong with that. I didn't like the feel of the bag when I put it on though.

I use the ThinkTank Streetwalker Harddrive for travelling (ie. holding everything including a laptop and tripod). It is a bit bulky but the construction is top notch. You can add a speed belt to it if you want to look pro. ;)

You might want to look at the ThinkTank ShapeShifter too. It's an interesting bag.

www.cambags.com is a good place for bag info.

89coupe
05-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by msommers

I didn't say what he needed, I presented my opinion and why I think a smaller bag is a better choice.

God you guys are pussy's LOL.

msommers
05-29-2009, 09:49 AM
I didn't say what he needed

I can carry two lenses that will work perfect for travelling and provide ample variety for scenic and portrait, all you really need for travel.

Uh huh.

Melinda
05-29-2009, 11:54 AM
I use this one. I love it. We use it for hiking and what not. For me it fits a body with a 16-35 attached to it, a flash, a 70-200 2.8 and a 50mm in the main camera compartment. In the non camera area we usually throw another body with a 17-55 attached to it as well as a large ziploc full of filters, shutter release cable, batteries etc. And there's usually room for a snack or two or our bear spray if we need it.

Really easy and comfortable to carry, even when it's fully loaded. I'm contemplating moving up to the next size, just so we can carry a few more things when we go out for the day. (Heaven forbid we need more than one body and 2 lenses!)

And the best part for me about this bag is that it looks nothing like a camera bag (well the colored ones dont) which is nice since I'm a girl who could become an easy target if I'm out and about on my own.

https://www.crumplerbags.com/flash/flash.aspx#/english/product-details/sinking-barge-si04a.html

clem24
05-29-2009, 12:09 PM

I didn't say what he needed, I presented my opinion and why I think a smaller bag is a better choice.

God you guys are pussy's LOL.

Apparently we're all stupid pussy's [sic].

Mitsu3000gt
05-29-2009, 01:49 PM
I can think of few things I hate more than Crumpler's website. I also do not need a squirrel to tell me about the bag lol.

flipstah
05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I can think of few things I hate more than Crumpler's website. I also do not need a squirrel to tell me about the bag lol.

Why the hate with Crumpler? They have cool stuff....

Mitsu3000gt
05-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Why the hate with Crumpler? They have cool stuff....

Crumpler is great, I like their bags. I hate their website.

flipstah
05-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Crumpler is great, I like their bags. I hate their website.

Not digging the vending machine template? I think it's neat. :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
05-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Not digging the vending machine template? I think it's neat. :dunno:

Haha nope, not a fan at all. I just like regular, functional websites. Their non-flash site is much better IMO.

Melinda
05-29-2009, 02:18 PM
I liked their old site a little better than this new vending machine one. But meh, they're a unique company with the site to go along with it. As long as it has the info I need, it doesn't bother me too much. Their bags are well worth wading through the evilness of the WWW. I have one of their shoulder bags (6 million dollar home) for regular stuff and the backpack I posted the link to for travelling. I love them both.

Mitsu3000gt
05-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
I liked their old site a little better than this new vending machine one. But meh, they're a unique company with the site to go along with it. As long as it has the info I need, it doesn't bother me too much. Their bags are well worth wading through the evilness of the WWW. I have one of their shoulder bags (6 million dollar home) for regular stuff and the backpack I posted the link to for travelling. I love them both.

Can the shoulder bag fit a camera with a 70-200 2.8 attached? Right now I only have a couple pretty big bags (Lowepro nature trekker & Slingshot 300) so I've been keeping my eye open for something with easy access and for just carrying 2-3 lenses + obviously the camera, no matter what is attached.

Melinda
05-29-2009, 02:39 PM
It probably could in the 7million dollar home but it would be a tight squeeze in the 6 million and smaller. I'd bring your camera to vistek or the camera store (both of them carry crumpler bags) and give it a whirl.

C4S
05-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Both my back pack are lowepro, trekker and rover .. one is lighter, and one is more heavy duty, they are more traditional, and I need the top compartment as DIAPER BAG ... :D

Gibson
05-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Phihalo
This is the one i use and i am quite happy with it. It carries all my basic gears and the best thing is that it doesn't look like a camear bag :D (so less risky when travelling around)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/465652.jpg

This is the one that fits a 17in laptop, right?

I'm looking at getting this one cause I just picked up a a 70-200 and it doesn't fit in my shoulder bag. At all.