PDA

View Full Version : Buying car from different province

mcallister44
05-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey, I live in Ontario and I'm thinking about buying a car from manitoba. I was just wondering what I have to do before I buy the car so that I can fly down and drive the car back on the same day. Also I just want to know what kind of charges or taxes I might have to Pay. Thanks, and the car is being purchased privately not from a dealer and has a Manitoba safety

Graham_A_M
05-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Your best bet would probably be to check on an Ontario forum since this is almost entirely Calgary Alberta based... From what I gathered from talking to various people, including my co-worker from Ontario is that to do so you'll have to do these:

- Obviously it would make sense to find a highly reputable dealer in Manitoba to thoroughly go over the car for you: so you know every single problem it may have. From there, make your judgement call as to what its worth given its options, km's and condition.
- Im sure you know this as well, but in Ontario they are strictly against rust or rust holes anywhere on its body. If you are caught with such you'll get a ticket and a 14 day warning stating that it has to be taken off the road and fixed by the date stated on the ticket, and thats only if you dont get it towed. So if there is body damage of any sorts, you need to find out if it'll still pass the the M.O.T. inspection, or if not; what it'll cost to make it pass the M.O.T. inspection.
That also needs to be taken into consideration.

-Also, the condition of the tires (they should all match BTW), the condition of the lenses, the glass, the trim (etc etc) are all things that are taken into consideration upon whats known as the O.O.P. That stands for Out Of Province. After all the conditions are met, then you'll be given a certificate stating the car is ready for typical Ontario registeration, and you should be good to go.

911fever
05-28-2009, 09:56 PM
LOLWTFBBQ @ rust ^^^^??? what are you talking about? If that was true, 60% of the cars on the road here would be ticketed!
he definitely needs to make sure that it will pass a safety in MB so it can pass a Safety there and an OPP in Ontario, and if it drives and runs real good, it should pass the e-test here as well.
I don't know why you'd buy from MB, cars are more expensive there than here...

qcp1
05-30-2009, 11:32 AM
you also will need to register it with temporary registration in each province you plan on driving it in. or else you can face a registration fine of $200+ if you get pulled over for any reason. as far as plates are concerned you dont need any, but you will have to provide proof of transport insurance and that registration which usually includes instructions for putting a sign in your window saying "in transit." make sure you call registries in MB and in Ont. to get those set up before you drive the car.

2EFNFAST
05-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by 911fever
LOLWTFBBQ @ rust ^^^^??? what are you talking about? If that was true, 60% of the cars on the road here would be ticketed!

That's what I was wondering as well - isn't Ontario known for every car practically being a rust bucket?

911fever
05-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

That's what I was wondering as well - isn't Ontario known for every car practically being a rust bucket?

all domestics over 5 years old are rusty and most imports over 8 are rusty. It's brutal here. Most people here with decent cars have a winter beater and a spring/summer/fall car that they drive. Good thing our winters are only late november to february, but they salt the shit out of our roads during than.

crapstixs
05-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
he definitely needs to make sure that it will pass a safety in MB so it can pass a Safety there and an OPP in Ontario, and if it drives and runs real good, it should pass the e-test here as well.
I don't know why you'd buy from MB, cars are more expensive there than here...

are cars are not rusty here at all. you have not seen rust untill you go out east. thats why the call it the eastern glow. ives seen seats fall through the floor pans frames and unibodys fold in from the weight of the vehical. safty is very differend than opi. in the last year ive passed like 2 cars from out east for alberta. you need to very carfull buying a car from another provience. a good rule of thum for old cars is they should stay in the provience they came from.

911fever
05-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by crapstixs

are cars are not rusty here at all. you have not seen rust untill you go out east. thats why the call it the eastern glow. ives seen seats fall through the floor pans frames and unibodys fold in from the weight of the vehical. safty is very differend than opi. in the last year ive passed like 2 cars from out east for alberta. you need to very carfull buying a car from another provience. a good rule of thum for old cars is they should stay in the provience they came from.

yeah man, I lived in AB for 6 years. The car's all have broken windshields, not rusted quarter panels haha. I'd personally rather spend $150 for a new windshield yearly than dealing with rust and spending a $112 for rustproofing yearly.