PDA

View Full Version : Overtime wages...

hattonlynch
05-28-2009, 07:12 PM
I work for a company that works us MON-SAT 8-6:30......10 hrs per day.

MON-SAT they pay us 2 hrs OT which is a total of 12 hrs OT. shouldn't they be paying us at least 16 hrs sinch after 44 hrs you get payed OT???

any help appreciated or an explanation.

Tik-Tok
05-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Depends on your line of work.

hattonlynch
05-28-2009, 07:20 PM
non-union construction

5000Audi
05-28-2009, 07:22 PM
depends on the kinda of paperwork signed when hired. could be small print stateing only overtime paid when work over 8 hours a day... but if no paperwork is signed saying that, then you sould be getting paid overtime for every hour over 88 in 2 weeks..

i worked for a company that tried to make me sign a paper that said the same thing, but i would not sign it.. so we came to an agreement on paper saying anything over 50 hours a week is overtime.. still make some good monie.. mainly when you do afterhours service calls.. 3 hours even if its a 5 min job :P

Tik-Tok
05-28-2009, 07:23 PM
http://employment.alberta.ca/documents/WRR/WRR-ES-FI_esfs25.pdf

hattonlynch
05-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
depends on the kinda of paperwork signed when hired. could be small print stateing only overtime paid when work over 8 hours a day... but if no paperwork is signed saying that, then you sould be getting paid overtime for every hour over 88 in 2 weeks..

i worked for a company that tried to make me sign a paper that said the same thing, but i would not sign it.. so we came to an agreement on paper saying anything over 50 hours a week is overtime.. still make some good monie.. mainly when you do afterhours service calls.. 3 hours even if its a 5 min job :P

yep the only paperwork we signed is tax forms and banking info. there was no fine print.

so i dont want to cause any waves so i will continue working here, is there a way to go to the labor board and get my money AFTER i finish working for this company?

alloroc
05-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by hattonlynch

yep the only paperwork we signed is tax forms and banking info. there was no fine print.

so i dont want to cause any waves so i will continue working here, is there a way to go to the labor board and get my money AFTER i finish working for this company?

Nope.
Read the fine print in the Alberta labour law.
Employees failing to report trangressions are as much in the wrong as the employer and can be subject to the same fines.

That said, most of these types of things usually go the way of the employee. Just a heads up, you will need to keep an accurate personal daily log of your work activities (including breaks) to show the Judge if you take it to court.