PDA

View Full Version : Off duty cop shot by fellow Officer.

signature7
05-29-2009, 11:47 AM
News World
Off-duty NYPD cop fatally shot by fellow officer

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK — A plainclothes policeman who drew his sidearm while chasing someone he had found rummaging through his car was shot and killed by a fellow officer in New York City.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly says 25-year-old Omar Edwards died after being shot late Thursday within blocks of the Harlem police station where he worked.

The officer who shot him was driving by and saw the pursuit.

Kelly says Edwards had just finished his shift around 10:30 p.m. when he headed to his car and saw that the driver’s-side window had been smashed and a man was going through the vehicle.

Edwards struggled with the man, who got away from him by slipping out of his sweater, Kelly said. Edwards chased the man up two streets with his gun drawn.

Kelly said a sergeant and two plainclothes officers in an unmarked police car saw the pursuit and made a U-turn to follow the men. One of the officers jumped out of the car and fired six times, hitting Edwards twice — once in the arm and once in the chest.

Kelly said Edwards did not fire his weapon. He died at the Harlem Hospital Center about an hour after the shooting.

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/world/2009/05/29/9614031.html

This seems like something straight out of the movies, I wonder what the Officer is going through right now.

JAYMEZ
05-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Damn thats some shit luck

01RedDX
05-29-2009, 11:57 AM

Sugarphreak
05-29-2009, 12:09 PM

Majestic12
05-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Uh oh, here come Al Sharpton and Spike Lee...

lint
05-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Surely of all people a fellow police officer would know that not dropping a weapon when instructed to could result in being shot.

Where in the article does it say that he didn't comply with an order to drop his weapon? Where does it say that he was told to drop his weapon at all?

One of the officers jumped out of the car and fired six times

Sugarphreak
05-29-2009, 12:42 PM

lint
05-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

there was a second line to that post;

"With that assumption I can only conclude that they decided to unload 6 rounds on the guy without calling for him to drop his weapon. "

Ah, I see what you did there

Sugarphreak
05-29-2009, 12:55 PM

szw
05-29-2009, 12:57 PM
wasn't this an episode of Law and Order a few years ago?

JustGo
05-29-2009, 01:35 PM
That's rough... but, you'd think the plainclothes guy would have been yelling something about 'stop, police'... or something to that effect.

There are a lot of really bad tactical issues with this whole scenario by both parties. If I was chasing a guy who broke into my car with my chunk out, I'd make damn sure everyone within a 10 block radius knew I was the fuzz.

Who is training these guys to chase car prowlers with their piece free anyways? I know I'd be pissed off, but I'd rather lay the dude down with knuckles than shoot him. Less time in the klink for me, and probably be able to keep my job.

Terrible situation, but something needs to be addressed if those are standard practices down there.