PDA

View Full Version : Mulch

CaptainReboot
05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
I have a lot of ground to cover with mulch. Anybody know where I can go and pick up a truckload of it?

RawB8figure
05-29-2009, 12:47 PM
ornamental stone

http://www.ornamentalstone.ca/Site/Home.html

I think it is around 41$ per yard for black or red and under 40$ for brown.

ExtraSlow
05-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Burnco
Burnco - Bulk Products (http://www.burnco.com/products/list/27)
The "foothills premium" mulch is the cheapest, and I prefer it to the look of bark chips, which they also carry.
You can bring your own truck had have the loader load you, which is very fast and easy. Or you can have it delivered in dump trucks. Bulk product prices vary year-to-year, but they have a price list posted inside their salesroom at the Calgary location.

There are several other landscape products suppliers in the area, so if you need a really large amount, it's probably worth calling around for best prices.

Kritafo
05-29-2009, 01:46 PM
http://www.barkmulchdepot.ca/products-mulches_woodchips.html

About 3 weeks ago we had about 17 yards of the Praire Bark Mulch Mix...smells fantastic.

urban.one
05-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Are you supposed to replace mulch every so often? Replace all of it or only part of it and work in new stuff with the old?

ExtraSlow
05-29-2009, 02:03 PM
It'll degrade and pack down over time. If you are using it directly on the soil, then it'll get worked into the soil as well. I(t's common to add a layer every year or two. I would add it right on top of the old stuff. Do factor in some extra thickness to account for settling and movement on your first layer.
if the current layer is pretty thick, sometime raking it can bring it back to near it's original appearance.

s2k_boi
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM
A buddy of mine got it from this place in cochrane. Apparently it's a good price, but I think if you need it delivered it costs a bit!

http://www.topspray.com/Default.aspx?tabid=45

CaptainReboot
06-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all the helpful info.

Is there a specific type of mulch I should get? Basicall I am putting this on top of weed mad to supress the weeds, but I want the trees and shrubs around it to still grow.

ExtraSlow
06-03-2009, 01:23 PM
If you are putting it over weed fabric, you need to make sure you don't leave any bare spots of the fabric showing. ti breaks down in UV light pretty fast.

Also, buy the best weed fabric you can. The cheaper stuff isn't as effective.

Other than that, you can use any type of mulch you want. I like the looks, and price, of the foothills premium from Burnco, which I'm sure is the same as the stuff from Spray lake Sawmills as mentioned above.
I would only reccomend the dyed stuff or the cedar stuff if you are going for a very specific look.

CaptainReboot
06-09-2009, 06:52 PM
The weeds are coming up really aggressive with the rain we've had lately. It's starting to push up my weed mat. Can I just put the mulch on top of that or would it be better if I tried to yank out as much as I could first?

Graham_A_M
06-09-2009, 10:01 PM
^ The weeds will *Always* grow through the mulch. They need to be yanked out consistantly. If the mulch isn't near a plant (one that you want I mean) then use a quick shot of roundup, but otherwise yeah they'll keep growing out. Messing up the mulch only hides them very temporarily unfortunately.

Originally posted by urban.one
Are you supposed to replace mulch every so often? Replace all of it or only part of it and work in new stuff with the old?
If you just mess it up with a cultivator, it'll hide the sun bleached side (as well show the damp fresh looking side) and make it generally look like new again. However it is just wood, and it does decay and completely bleach out in time. With that you can just replace it. But thats after many, many years.

Benny
06-11-2009, 03:51 PM
The Foothills Regional Waste Management Facility has really cheap mulch if anyone is after it. I think it runs something retardedly low like $30 per ton. If you need a shitlot of mulch on the cheap try it out.