PDA

View Full Version : For all those bitching about Calgary drivers...

rage2
05-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Ya, it's completely fucked up here in India lol. I shot a quick vid of how shit's done here. See if you can count how many bitch threads would've been created if everyone complained lol.

iqHmXEXTmq8

I'll give a summary of events...

0:13 - A right turn (well same as our left turn). You basically go as close as possible, don't care about traffic coming your way, honk and go. Ignore all the guys on the other side of the road trying to make the same turn.

0:33 - OK a little tame here, the driver saw me pull out a camera and took it easy. Still, wandering the lanes looking for room. You'll hear me later telling him to drive normal (well I used as crazy as u want).

0:54 - You come up to a stop, you tailgate, or you lose your spot.

1:10 - We're stopped at a light (there's only lights at very major intersections, and only abide by it in the day). The bike in front sees a gap while everyone stops, and takes it to move ahead.

1:30 - Local hermaphrodite/tranny (really who the fuck can tell) asks stopped traffic for money. Apparently, if you don't pay them, they put a curse on you so your kids end up like them lol. Suckers.

2:00 - Yea, she/he's not really impressed that I'm videoing this shit lol.

2:05 - I think she put a curse on me for taking a "photograph". Dumb bitch, it's a video. Welcome to 2009. lol

2:26 - Alright, the fun begins. We start moving. No need to narrate here, this is how it's done! You find room, you just take it. :rofl:

Ya this is the first time I pulled out a camera to shoot a vid of the driving. Weirder shit has happened. So bizarre here haha.

s dime
05-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Haha, 50 percent man 50 percent woman!

rage2
05-29-2009, 06:10 PM
haha, well at least I know now how not to get harassed by them for money. Take a picture! I'll take all the curses you send me!

What's funny is, I've been here I think a month now, and I have yet to see a car accident. In Calgary, I see 2 a day. Makes you kinda wonder....

nismodrifter
05-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Welcome to INDIAaaaaaa where the cows eat hayyyyy and we drive auto rickshaws everyday.

Goat meat yummy sweets while monkeys roaming, the roosters don't crow till 5 in the morning.

LOL.

India driving is insanity but it also has some sense of order. I remember one time we were on a 2-lane undivided road, traffic is packed on both sides, this bus is approaching us down the CENTRE LINE at double the speed limit and everybody just makes way. Ppl on his side of the road move over, ppl on the other side move over, and he just keeps on trucking.

To top it all off.....the frame of the bus is bent....so as you see this bus coming at you head on you can also see the rear portion of it...Ie: /_/ :rofl:

You're right about tailgating at lights etc. If you don't get up close to the car ahead of you you can bet some rickshaw or scooter will....and there will be 10 ppl behind him....good luck getting moving once the light goes green and all these ppl cut ahead of you.

eglove
05-29-2009, 06:14 PM
sweet vid rage!

Ven
05-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Fricken lunatic there, but it seems to work OK.

88CRX
05-29-2009, 06:16 PM
How often are cars bumping into each other?

Nav13
05-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Speaking of Heshes, I just got back from India for my cousins wedding a little over a week ago and we had our own little run in with them. So apparently they are well organized into groups and each group has claim to certain sections of the city. So when they find out that you are having a big event (wedding, childs first birthday, shit like that) they will come to your house and they give you a card to lay claim that they were the first ones to your house and they have the right to any money you give out.

And like Raj2 said if you don't give them money they will put a curse on you and your family. I know it sounds really stupid but Indians in general are very supersticious so just to be safe and avoid and troubles they usualy just give them money.

Anyways heres some pics and a short vid of these broads in action, they showed up to the reception and here is the brides uncle trying to get rid of them. I don't know how much he gave them but it isn't cheap, its usualy around 10 to 20 thousand rupees, which is around $250 to 500 bucks.

Now I bet your all thinking to yourselves Indians are messed for actually giving into this bullshit and I agree, I couldn't believe people actually worried about being cursed by a hemaphrodite, but thats just the mind set there and really no one wants a bunch of heshes hanging around their party.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh176/navinder13/Picture009.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh176/navinder13/th_Picture012.jpg (http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh176/navinder13/?action=view&current=Picture012.flv)

forced_eg
05-29-2009, 06:20 PM
they have internet access? that driver was nuts a couple times i flinched because he was driving so close

TorqueDog
05-29-2009, 06:26 PM
That's insanity.

How fast were you travelling at the most?

rage2
05-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
How often are cars bumping into each other?
Almost never. It's fucking shocking. I've yet to see a bump, and trust me, I've seen like a million cars already since I got here. What's crazy is some streets are left turns only (median blocking right turns), so to avoid a uturn, you drive on the wrong side of the road till the median either ends or is covered in dirt, dive across 3 real lanes of traffic (which really is like 8 lanes of cars and bikes), hope the median, and make your right turn lol.

There are a lot of cars that are bumped into when they're stopped, backing up, etc. and mostly at night, when apparently 1/2 the drivers are driving drunk. Or truckers that can't see moving backwards, cuz the trucks dont have mirrors.

Oh ya, and they have insane amount of checkstops. Every night, every 6 major intersections is fenced off, and you drive thru a checkstop. Only 1 cop so you get waved thru really quick, not really slowing down, and if they see u approaching erratically, you get busted. But you can bribe the cop for 100 rupees ($2.50) and he'll let you go haha.

Other crazy shit... bikes that have 5 ppl on them. I've only seen it once, and only have a picture of a bike with 4 ppl on it. I'm trying to get that elusive 5 man bike photo. Trucks that haul cargo (rice or grain or some shit) and a 4 year old sleeping on a bag of rice so nice and high in the back of the truckbed. Truck racing thru traffic hitting bumps, kid bounces around but somehow doesn't fall off the truck. I'll hopefully get pics up of those shortly... still lots of editing, only at Spain in the huge # of photos I shot haha.

rage2
05-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
That's insanity.

How fast were you travelling at the most?
In this video, about 50. But usually u hit about 60 even in traffic. On a bike, a lot faster. I rode with a co-worker, rode bitch on his bike, no helmet, and we were doing 110. I had to lean into turns. So sketchy haha.

I'll try to get a video on a bike. It's pretty crazy, there were times where my knee was an inch or 2 from getting clipped by a car beside me. I'm slowly getting used to it tho, looking at buying a bike if I'm here for a while more so I can tear up the streets of India. It's like $500 for a used 100cc "Hero Honda" bike. Dirt cheap.

They complain about gas prices being nearly unaffordable, it's $1/L hehe. I'm like a billionaire here.

Hakkola
05-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Dude, you're still there? Did they outsource your services to India? :rofl:

Great vid, that's awesome.

I'll still bitch about Calgary drivers all I want, you haven't shown me any Alberta roadblocks or idiots who can't merge.

Nav13
05-29-2009, 06:58 PM
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh176/navinder13/Picture.jpg

Mind you three of them are small kids, never saw 5 adults on a bike, but I'm sure it happens.

top_speed
05-29-2009, 07:04 PM
^ Wtf why is he only wearing a helmet? Is he the only one that will get hurt?

G-ZUS
05-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Lol beirut is soo close to that

djayz
05-29-2009, 07:16 PM
That's how we do it :D

klteYv1Uv9A

The accents make it better :rofl:

Skyline_Addict
05-29-2009, 07:20 PM
nice lol

FiveFreshFish
05-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Ya, it's completely fucked up here in India lol. I shot a quick vid of how shit's done here.

Were you in a taxi?

2EFNFAST
05-30-2009, 12:33 AM
wow :nut:

When there is an accident, what happens? Do people stop and and collect witnesses and insurance information, or do they just honk twice and move on?

black13
05-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Practically every major city in Asia is like that. That's pretty much what happens when cities get over populated. You have to drive like that to get anywhere. If everyone drove like calgarians there, you would never get where your going.

Waiting for someone to give you space to merge/change lanes? Yea it'll take you a couple days for that to happen.

rage2
05-30-2009, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Dude, you're still there? Did they outsource your services to India? :rofl:

Great vid, that's awesome.

I'll still bitch about Calgary drivers all I want, you haven't shown me any Alberta roadblocks or idiots who can't merge.
haha, ya I prob got another month. Missing out on the whole fucking summer :(.

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Were you in a taxi?
No, I have a personal driver here for the duration of my trip. There's a picture of him in my photojournal thread.

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
wow :nut:

When there is an accident, what happens? Do people stop and and collect witnesses and insurance information, or do they just honk twice and move on?
I haven't seen an accident yet. But, I asked the locals here, basically it's a huge argument and negotiation to see who's wrong, and how much cash the guy in the wrong is gonna pony up lol.

If you hit a person, you'll get surrounded and stoned.

Like I said, I feel more safe in a car that a local is driving here than me in my car in Calgary. I'm always worried back home someone's gonna smash into me.

/////AMG
05-30-2009, 06:37 AM
^ Where this photojournal thread of yours?!
Your avatar makes sense now lol.
India is great, as fucked up as it is, it's one hell of an experience. So fun! lol

Originally posted by djayz
That's how we do it :D

klteYv1Uv9A

The accents make it better :rofl:

That video cracks me up everytime I see it lol. "He's chilling man!"

r0g3r
05-30-2009, 11:33 AM
When I was coming back from India, we were on the road to the mumbai airport in the morning and wow..there was so much traffic. Our driver pretty much went on the opposite side of the road and merged all over the place.

I don't think I could survive driving there :cry:

But yeah its amazing how well they are able to manage their driving.

Even better is that not all of them have their license lol so they jus go around w/out a license. If cop ever catches, just gotta bribe.

Its good times :D

Tik-Tok
05-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Seemed tamer then Montreal though :rofl:

/////AMG
05-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r
Even better is that not all of them have their license lol so they jus go around w/out a license. If cop ever catches, just gotta bribe.

Its good times :D

lol we had just left the airport and the cops tried pulling us over, can't remember why. Our driver tried his hardest to escape haha, he said the state line was only a few miles down the road and they won't continue their persuit after that.
But can't remember who it was, but they talked him in to stopping while I was having the time of my life lol. The cops got their money and we were on our way.

Definitely good times. :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
05-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Haha that's alright, but I recall my experiences in China to be a lot crazier compared to what's on the video. I remember we were getting driven around to a couple places we needed to get to. The driver needed to make a left turn into an intersection. Instead of stopping and waiting for an opening like we do here, he just kept going without slowing down as if there were no cars coming... except there was. A LOT of them! And the on coming traffic didn't slam on their brakes or slow down or anything. They just kept coming and going around the car without missing a beat. I guess all traffic rules are thrown out the window when there are no paved roads or lanes to follow :rofl:

And our vehicle wasn't really so much of a car as it was a motorized box with wheels made from spare parts, complete with plexiglass windows and chicken wire.

So yeah, people who complain about Calgary drivers really haven't experienced crazy driving yet.

bighead2267
05-30-2009, 02:50 PM
not sure how many of you have been completed a driving test from those "CRAZY" country(nothing offense....lol). However, I can tell you that the driving test is canada is such a joke after you have complete 1 there. it's 200 times harder compare to here(i knon i know there is alot of ppl pay to get their license there)

i remember when i was taking my stupid test here, the space the examiner let me parallel parking could fit in a freaking semi. i was like "WTF" you must be kidding me. no wonder there is so many fucking accident espeically in parking lot b'coz no one knows how to fucking back up in canada................

China, HK, India insurance expensive is b'coz mostly theft, not collision plus those country/city try to not get insurance involve like Canada/US b'coz it's such a long ass process to settle the claim. for example in HK, we are talking 9 mths plus at least?

Redlyne_mr2
05-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Crazy,now go take a vid of the their rail system. People here get hit by ctrains all the time and they make it as safe as possible. In india there are no safe yellow lines to stand behind, no bells to warn you a train is coming and there are people pushing and shoving everywhere.

pinoyhero
05-30-2009, 03:51 PM
India has some of if not the worst driver fatality rates in the world, a disaster there. Cities are bad highways are a death trap. There was a special on it a few months back, looked terrible.