PDA

View Full Version : cycling laws in calgary?

Stunt66
05-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Anyone know what the bylaws are? what do I need on my bike? what about helmets? thanks

flipstah
05-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Helmets are mandatory when you're 18 and above. You NEED reflectors on your bike and lights if you're night time driving.

Also, as stupid as it may seem, ride on the road and NOT the sidewalk. It's actually easier and safer than hitting pedestrians. It took me a while to get it through my head but it is safer to drive on the road. Plus, if these bitches try to clip you, get the license plate down and make a complaint.

bmeier
05-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Helmets are mandatory when you're 18 and above. You NEED reflectors on your bike and lights if you're night time driving.

Also, as stupid as it may seem, ride on the road and NOT the sidewalk. It's actually easier and safer than hitting pedestrians. It took me a while to get it through my head but it is safer to drive on the road. Plus, if these bitches try to clip you, get the license plate down and make a complaint.

thats not true, Helmets are only mandatory for anyone below the age of 18

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Transportation+Planning/Transportation+Solutions/Cycling/Bylaws+Safety+and+Etiquette/Cycling+Safety+Equipment.htm

lilmira
05-29-2009, 07:13 PM

I have no problem sharing the road with cyclists. But I hate it when you are stuck in the curb lane behind a cyclist for 5 blocks, you finally have an opening in the left lane to pass the guy, move back to the curb lane then the same guy blows right by you next to the curb ignoring any traffic control while you stop for a stop sign or light, then you are stuck behind him again for five blocks.

I'm so tempted to put a stick through the spoke indy style whenever they pass me.

Vagabond142
05-29-2009, 07:14 PM
A bicycle on the road is considered a vehicle, and has to obey all traffic laws for vehicles on said roadways.

In my opinion, if you ride a bike without a helmet, you deserve to crack your skull open on the pavement. Helmets are designed and built to protect your head. It's one piece of equipment you should never "cheap out" on. Ask any downhill rider that's shunted off their bikes or missed a jump what their opinions on helmets are. It saddens me to see so many riders out there that don't wear helmets. Hell, a few days ago, my brother was rearranging stuff in the garage and moved my helmet. I didn't know where it was, so what did I do? I didn't go riding. I like my brain in my head, not on the pavement.

As to bylaws, the ones I know are:

-Pedestrians on the same pathway you are on (sidewalk, bike path) have right of way. Always. Also, a pedestrian in a crosswalk is treated the same as if you were driving, ie you come to a full stop until they are crossed.
-While you are astride the bike, even if stopped and both feet are on the ground, as long as the bike is in between your legs, you are a vehicle. This means you DO NOT get right of way in crosswalks. If a vehicle hits you in a crosswalk and you were pedalling across, you are at fault because you were a vehicle facing a red light that failed to stop. If you walk your bike across a crosswalk, you are a pedestrian because you are beside your bike, not on it.
Granted, this bylaw/law is very rarely enforced, and most drivers of motorized vehicles will be considerate enough to treat you as a pedestrian nonetheless.... but just keep in mind that as long as you have the bike under you, even fully stopped with both feet flat on the ground, YOU ARE A VEHICLE.

Vagabond142
05-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

I have no problem sharing the road with cyclists. But I hate it when you are stuck in the curb lane behind a cyclist for 5 blocks, you finally have an opening in the left lane to pass the guy, move back to the curb lane then the same guy blows right by you next to the curb ignoring any traffic control while you stop for a stop sign or light, then you are stuck behind him again for five blocks.

I'm so tempted to put a stick through the spoke indy style whenever they pass me.

If a cyclist blows a stop sign or disobeys a traffic control, you can call the police on em. They broke the law and can be charged with a moving violation (failure to stop, dangerous disregard of traffic controls, etc). Not that I've ever heard of it happening, but the option is there.

On the other hand, cyclists and motor vehicles have to share the road. Sad fact of life :\ Especially because a lot of people don't look for bikes :(

FiveFreshFish
05-29-2009, 07:21 PM
You'll need a bell if you ride on the pathways.

mac_82
05-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
A bicycle on the road is considered a vehicle, and has to obey all traffic laws for vehicles on said roadways.

:werd:

I wish all cyclists knew this. They ride all over downtown Toronto like they own the roads. I have almost been hit in my car by guys in bikes blowing through red lights and stop signs. :facepalm:

Mar
05-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Ride on the sidewalk and don't block the road.
Seriously, every other city I've ever been to in this country has people riding bikes on the sidewalk, why is Calgary so ass backwards? You can even put a bell on your handlebars to alert any walkers you're coming up behind them.

Vagabond142
05-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Mar... it's a 50/50 kinda deal. Sidewalks can be used by bikes, but some sidewalks (the one going south of 16th ave down 10th st NW) are so narrow that you have to take to the road just to get down the roadway.

However, a bike is also entitled, unless specifically signed (ie Deerfoot) as not allowed, to use the road, and in some areas, mandated by law (via signage) TO USE the road vs the sidewalk. It's the law, get used to it, live with it.

Vagabond142
05-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Another one I just remembered: The maximum speed limit on any and all pathways within city limits is 20 kph

Vagabond142
05-29-2009, 07:47 PM
After a little more research, I found, for the highway riders and out of town riders:

Part 5 of the Highway Traffic Act (sections 143-150) of Alberta, R.S.A. 1980, c. H-7 defines a bicycle and describes the rights and obligations of a cyclist:

S.1 44 Unless the context otherwise requires, a person operating a bicycle or motor cycle on a highway
(a) has all the rights, and
(b) is subject to all the duties,

of a driver under Part 3.

flipstah
05-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Cyclists are only allowed on the sidewalks when it's double-lane otherwise, you're suppose to stick on the road. What I do if I'm clogging the lane is move away and let them pass.

Courtesy is the key to respect on the road and if I was a pedestrian and if I see a cyclist going to run a red or blow past a Stop sign, I'd tackle them.

"I have the right of way."

Mar
05-29-2009, 08:33 PM
S.1 44 Unless the context otherwise requires, a person operating a bicycle or motor cycle on a highway
(a) has all the rights, and
(b) is subject to all the duties,

of a driver under Part 3.
Including minimum speed limits. If you can't match that lower limit, stay off the road.

Grogador
05-29-2009, 08:57 PM
It is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk if you are over the age of 14.

What's the minimum speed in a 50? Like 8? :P

Also,

-While you are astride the bike, even if stopped and both feet are on the ground, as long as the bike is in between your legs, you are a vehicle. This means you DO NOT get right of way in crosswalks.

this omg this

Kennyredline
05-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Another one I just remembered: The maximum speed limit on any and all pathways within city limits is 20 kph
On some parts of the pathway system, like steep hills, the limit is 10km/hr

Kennyredline
05-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by bmeier

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Transportation+Planning/Transportation+Solutions/Cycling/Bylaws+Safety+and+Etiquette/Cycling+Safety+Equipment.htm

Yup.

Adrenaline101
05-29-2009, 09:56 PM
I will admit as a biker in calgary and okotoks, that I would 100% of the time rather use the sidewalk or a path next to it. I dont wtf it is with alberta that the cities around here havent heard of a fakking bike path, or bike lane (yah know, lil white line that separates you and the traffic). the cities are so damned concerned with getting motor vehicles back and forth that everyone else gets hosed.
Of course I dont road bike and unless Im going down one heckuva hill Ill never even get close to 40km+ so why the hell would I wanna be out in traffic that scares me enough to drive a car through.
The law or not, its a retarded situation and Id rather take the chance on a ticket, then the chance on eating car grill.

benz_890
05-29-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Kennyredline

On some parts of the pathway system, like steep hills, the limit is 10km/hr

Do they do radar/laser on the bike paths LOL

Originally posted by Adrenaline101
I will admit as a biker in calgary and okotoks, that I would 100% of the time rather use the sidewalk or a path next to it. I dont wtf it is with alberta that the cities around here havent heard of a fakking bike path, or bike lane (yah know, lil white line that separates you and the traffic). the cities are so damned concerned with getting motor vehicles back and forth that everyone else gets hosed.
Of course I dont road bike and unless Im going down one heckuva hill Ill never even get close to 40km+ so why the hell would I wanna be out in traffic that scares me enough to drive a car through.
The law or not, its a retarded situation and Id rather take the chance on a ticket, then the chance on eating car grill.

They have one on 8th ave in mayland heights

Adrenaline101
05-29-2009, 10:18 PM
heh.. one, so thats where they hid it.

rockanrepublic
05-29-2009, 10:29 PM
definatly hate those bikers who want to be considered a vehicle when there riding near you but as soon as they hit a light there not one:banghead:

i wish they would have a bike lane so i wouldn't be trapped for blocks behind them.:zzz:

flipstah
05-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by bmeier

Oop. My mistake. I stand corrected. :D

Now, as for the speed limit on paths, how can I tell if I don't have a speedometer or a bike computer? :dunno:

Vagabond142
05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
I will admit some bikers are assholes. But don't generalize about the entire population. :thumbsdow

bmeier
05-30-2009, 01:27 AM
the problem is this city has no bikes lanes, as a cyclist i personally try to avoid impeding motor vehicles but at the same time you have to ride somewhere. I will occasionally ride on the sidewalk on a busy road even though that is "illegal"

Basically i try to stay away from cars since people can be huge assholes and try to run you off the road...

swak
05-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Arizona has plenty of bike lanes, i agree... Calgary needs more. And to top it off, one of the few bike lanes here has cars parked in/along it 90% of the time. (10th ave.)

I am a road biker, so i feel a lot safer on the road, and prefer it actually, but i encounter many riders who ride in the middle of the lanes, are slow as balls, etc.. that i believe are ruining it for the rest of us.

... and for the speed limit on pathways thing, i have seen bike cops with the radar guns on the pathways. It is YOUR responsibility to find a way to track your speed.

top_speed
05-30-2009, 10:41 AM

If a cyclist blows a stop sign or disobeys a traffic control, you can call the police on em. They broke the law.
:rofl: :rofl:

Tik-Tok
05-30-2009, 11:35 AM
If bikes are supposed to follow the traffic laws, while straddling their bike, they should have license plates, just like a car does. It could be like trailers, just a one time fee, and plate (for people over the age of 18, oddly enough children have more common sense to keep of the road during traffic, then adults do).

I have no problem sharing the road with a bicyclist, as long as they are following the rules, but as mentioned, MOST of them blow right through red lights after you've managed to safely pass them, and then you're stuck behind them again while they peddle 15km/h in a 60 zone.

I wish they would have some common courtesy for drivers (as in get off the road if they're blocking traffic, use the sidewalk for a couple of blocks until it's clear again). They would probably get a lot more respect from drivers if they did. Calgary streets were made for cars, not bicycles.

flipstah
05-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
If bikes are supposed to follow the traffic laws, while straddling their bike, they should have license plates, just like a car does. It could be like trailers, just a one time fee, and plate (for people over the age of 18, oddly enough children have more common sense to keep of the road during traffic, then adults do).

I have no problem sharing the road with a bicyclist, as long as they are following the rules, but as mentioned, MOST of them blow right through red lights after you've managed to safely pass them, and then you're stuck behind them again while they peddle 15km/h in a 60 zone.

I wish they would have some common courtesy for drivers (as in get off the road if they're blocking traffic, use the sidewalk for a couple of blocks until it's clear again). They would probably get a lot more respect from drivers if they did. Calgary streets were made for cars, not bicycles.

I agree with the problem that you constantly face and as mutual respect, I try and move away from the road when I'm becoming a 'clog' but I don't like how when the road is completely free and they try to get SUPER-close to me when I'm on the edge of the curb and one tiny mistake will either make me on up face-first on the sidewalk or be bounced back and forth on the edge of a van. Sometimes, I gotta do what I gotta do, hog the lane and force them to take the OTHER, EMPTY lane.

I think a designated bike lane would satisfy both the driver and the cyclist.

badatusrnames
05-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by benz_890

Yeah, and it fakking drives me nuts when people ride their bikes across the bridge on the narrow roadway when there is explicit signage telling them not to. Just an accident waiting to happen. If there's an oncoming car I have to slow down to the speed of the bike and tail behind it to avoid hitting the rider.

Tik-Tok
05-30-2009, 12:20 PM

I think a designated bike lane would satisfy both the driver and the cyclist.

Definitely, I wish Calgary would retrofit most of the roads to accommodate this (it would also make me less nervous when my wife bikes to work in the summer). It always makes me laugh to see random streets with bike paths (11th street SE heading towards Deerfoot Meadows). If you can do it to some roads, why not all?

Vagabond142
05-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by top_speed

:rofl: :rofl:

Laugh all ya want, I've seen a cyclist blow a stop sign and get pulled over by the cops who were doing a playground zone radar gun duty 2 blocks down the road. They CAN get ticketed for it.

swak
05-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Cyclists disobey some traffic laws yes.. But don't say it like cyclists àre the only ones disobeying traffic laws.. They just disobey them in different ways. Nobodys an angel

Vagabond142
05-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Oh, I wasn't saying that anyone is an angel. I've been done for speeding myself, so I am the last one to claim angelhood. I was just pointing out that every road user needs to be patient and responsible.

swak
05-30-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm not directing the comment at you.
The stereotypical view from drivers is that cyclists feel thàt they own the road(disobeying street laws).. When the truth is far from that

Kennyredline
06-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by benz_890

Do they do radar/laser on the bike paths LOL

Yes, they have bylaw cops out there with radar...beleive it or not!

98type_r
06-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

Yes, they have bylaw cops out there with radar...beleive it or not!

they also check for bells, which are mandatory if you're using any of the city's pathway system.

alloroc
06-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Including minimum speed limits. If you can't match that lower limit, stay off the road.

I got a ticket for doing 65 in a 50 on Heritage drive East. (Passed a Ghost car) almost crashed when he blipped his siren. Wish I had saved the paid stub.

lilmira
06-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Laugh all ya want, I've seen a cyclist blow a stop sign and get pulled over by the cops who were doing a playground zone radar gun duty 2 blocks down the road. They CAN get ticketed for it.

I think he's laughing at the calling the cop part. It would be quite difficult identifying the guy.

I've seen couriers getting tickets in downtown though.

mazdavirgin
06-01-2009, 02:39 PM
If you get pulled over by bylaw or the cops for speeding on your bike just don't give them your correct name and tell them you don't have your drivers license... You can't get a ticket for failing to have ID while on a bike :guns:

Either way I have a lot more problems with cars than cyclists. People honk at you for riding in the middle of the lanes. :facepalm: I don't quite get how we give people licenses when they don't even know that legally you are perfectly fine taking up the whole lane. It is usually safer since then you don't have to worry about the doors/mirrors.

alloroc
06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
If you get pulled over by bylaw or the cops for speeding on your bike just don't give them your correct name and tell them you don't have your drivers license... You can't get a ticket for failing to have ID while on a bike :guns:

No they can't ticket you for not having ID but a good friend pulled that stunt after running a red light on a bike.

He was put into the car and they threw his bike into the trunk and he was driven to the furthest precinct from where they were. They then asked him to verify who he was (yes you have to do this) they pulled his licence # up from the computer using his name and address, ticketed him (three tickets - can't remember them all - this was in like 1990 or '91) and sent him on his way - about 35k from where he was picked up.

msommers
06-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Yeah, and it fakking drives me nuts when people ride their bikes across the bridge on the narrow roadway when there is explicit signage telling them not to. Just an accident waiting to happen. If there's an oncoming car I have to slow down to the speed of the bike and tail behind it to avoid hitting the rider.

God this reminds me of a few weeks ago...coming down the hill towards Mayland and I see this biker in my lane...fuck. We were going 10km/h across the entire bridge because traffic going the other way was too heavy to move over slightly to pass this fucker. So I laid on the horn for 3/4 the way across the bridge to make up for lost time.:thumbsup:

mazdavirgin
06-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
They then asked him to verify who he was (yes you have to do this) they pulled his licence # up from the computer using his name and address, ticketed him (three tickets - can't remember them all - this was in like 1990 or '91) and sent him on his way - about 35k from where he was picked up.

I don't think there is any legal requirement to provide your name or ID to a police officer when you are not operating a motor vehicle... They can try to arrest you but legally they can't charge you for not having ID or for not answering their questions. You have the right to remain silent and not speak to the police. Police officers are bullies but they have to follow the law at the end of the day.

lilmira
06-01-2009, 04:19 PM
While there is no obligation to carry ID unless you are operating a vehicle, I believe you still have to identify yourself when requested by a police officer and he/she will verify the information. You would be in trouble giving out fake name and address. Or course you can remain silent and call your lawyer. I'm sure he'll be entertained to pick up a case of jaywalking or running a stop sign on a bicycle.

Otherwise how can they write ticket for littering, not paying fare for transit? They can only write so many tickets to John Doe.

msommers
06-01-2009, 04:42 PM
So on my way home today I specifically looked for signage across the 8th ave bridge and guess what I found out....I'm an asshole! hahaha apparently bikers and cars are supposed to go single-file across the bridge. SO FUCKIN GAY!! Seriously there is a protected sidewalk to use instead though!

alloroc
06-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

I don't think there is any legal requirement to provide your name or ID to a police officer when you are not operating a motor vehicle... They can try to arrest you but legally they can't charge you for not having ID or for not answering their questions. You have the right to remain silent and not speak to the police. Police officers are bullies but they have to follow the law at the end of the day.

I cannot believe people live in this country and do not know their rights!

You watch too much American TV. You do *NOT* have a right to remain silent in Canada.

Here are your rights upon arrest or detention... note DETENTION this means the police have already put you in a cell.

ARREST OR DETENTION.
10. Everyone has the right on arrest or detention

(a) to be informed promptly of the reasons therefor;
(b) to retain and instruct counsel without delay and to be informed of that right; and
(c) to have the validity of the detention determined by way of habeas corpus and to be released if the detention is not lawful.

This means that if you do not give your name and address if asked, they can detain - and interrigate - you under the suspicion that you are hiding something and could be a criminal.

Look up the Jagrup Singh trial and The Supreme Court of Canada

badatusrnames
06-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by msommers

God this reminds me of a few weeks ago...coming down the hill towards Mayland and I see this biker in my lane...fuck. We were going 10km/h across the entire bridge because traffic going the other way was too heavy to move over slightly to pass this fucker. So I laid on the horn for 3/4 the way across the bridge to make up for lost time.:thumbsup:

Really? For the longest time, the sign said something to the effect of "Cyclists must dismount and walk on sidewalk across bridge" the must have changed that when they made it a bicycle corridor. Still a big hazard if you ask me...