PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of spiders (outside)

Davetronz
05-29-2009, 09:37 PM
I have an outdoor spider issue at my house in New Brighton (SE Calgary) that I need some ideas to help resolve.

For the past year that I've owned this house, the exterior has been infested with spiders from approximately April to October. The problem seems to get worse through the months of June-September.

These spiders range in size with the largest having a body the size of a dime (plus leg span). They have sticky, but not necessarily large webs that they love stringing in doorways, stair wells, and all over my siding, especially at night. They seem to be localized to my siding, stairs railings.

I was just outside letting the dog out and happened to look upwards at the second level of my house, it seems the higher up we go, the larger the spiders get. There was about 5 spiders, large enough that I could see them quite clearly with the naked eye.

The outside of my house is starting to look like a smashed spider battlegrounds. Every time I see one I squish it. They seem to "rear back" when you go to kill them... Almost like they want to attack the object that you're attacking them with. So far, the problem is only with my house, they've left the garage, which I built last summer, mostly alone.

I've tried hosing down the house to wash away the webs but they seem slightly unaffected by water. Any spiders that I kill seem to be replaced within 24 hours by a new spider...

Any ideas? Any pesticides or traps have to be pet friendly as I have a retarded curious beagle.

Thanks for the help!

st184
05-30-2009, 03:16 AM
Stop killing their brethren and they may give you a break.

5000Audi
05-30-2009, 03:29 AM
i used this product on my place.. worked good..

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/MosquitoPestControl/InsectControl/PRDOVR~0593738P/CIL%2BTomahawk%253F%2BCrawling%2BInsect%2BSpray.jsp

or find another product with Permethrin... thats the spider killer..

Power_Of_Rotary
05-31-2009, 03:51 AM
man i hate spiders... if you can get those things that attach to your hose for fertilizer/weedkilling and add some soap water in it (avoid getting it in your grass i guess..) let the soap stay on the side of your house for a couple days so that the spiders hopefully do not go back there. Use the amount of soap that you believe will suffice.

This usually works on small insects if you dont wanna waste money buying products from the store

and try not to get soap onto the road/sidewalk...or you might end up paying $X00 to soap off your spiders.

dont mind my grammar or spelling...its 4am

black_2.5RS
05-31-2009, 08:35 AM
3 things you may want to try:
1) In your yard, if you've got mulch, you may want to consider using something else since Spiders LOVE mulch. It's moist and gives them some protection from predators

2) A more natural solution would be to try and wipe your window sills, door edges, etc with lemon juice or anything with lemon extract. This is a temporary solution and you'll have to reapply likely a couple times a month but since you have a dog a more natural solution won't hurt them.

3) I remember hearing something about using eucalyptus sprigs near the doorway. Not sure why they hate it but apparently they do. May want to do some reading on this one since it might be more rumour than anything else.

Davetronz
05-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys, it seems a lot of people in this area are having the same problem. At least most of the people I've talked to on this block. I'm going to give the ideas in this thread a try and see what works best.

:thumbsup:

96GrandAMGT
05-31-2009, 10:51 AM
my issue is i have huge trees and seem if i leave my cars under it and not drvie them for like a week or so the spiders start getting into the cars and takes driving them a few times to get rid of em... so i know the feeling of having spider issues

alloroc
05-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Davetronz
Thanks guys, it seems a lot of people in this area are having the same problem. At least most of the people I've talked to on this block. I'm going to give the ideas in this thread a try and see what works best.

:thumbsup:

I don't know how long you have lived in Calgary S but if you wait 3 weeks you are going to love all the little spider nests trapping male mosquitoes (those little black flies that get through your screen and into everything) and then the aphids once aphid season comes along in late august. There are no indigenous spiders here that are poisonous.

If the webs are in the way of something you use (ie a gate) just spray them off with water. The spider will relocate and make a web somewhere dry.

Rat Fink
06-01-2009, 02:30 PM

alloroc
06-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Only in grapes here ;P. The climate and winter is just cold enough they don't last the winter.

4doorj
06-02-2009, 03:08 PM
When I read the title I thought to myself he must live in new brighton. And sure enough you did!:rofl:
I also live in new brighton and have a gazillion spiders as well. I have a web stick that I always take the webs down with. Everytime I walk in my backyard I always get webs in my face. It's sooooo annoying. And it's true, we get at least a gazillion (exaggeration) different types of spiders. Some small ones, and some really really ugly ass spiders that creep me out like crazy. I hate it!

It's gross sitting on the patio set because everything has spiders on it.
It's been like this ever since I've moved here.
I used to try and kill them all, but no point. Everytime I kill one, theres another three spiders that takes its place :nut:
Spiders:guns:

Kloubek
06-02-2009, 03:15 PM
You just need to bring in a bunch of frogs. They'll take care of those spiders no problem.

How you get rid of the frogs is beyond me...

alloroc
06-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
You just need to bring in a bunch of frogs. They'll take care of those spiders no problem.

How you get rid of the frogs is beyond me...

there was an old lady ...

dawwgy
06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I live in Makenzie towne and get alot of spiders as well.

What I did is buy this spider killer from Home Depot ... it was a very large container (similar in size to windshield washer fluid container) cant remember the name of it off hand. I sprayed it where i noticed the spiders went mostly, inbetween siding pieces and in areas where i walked around alot (back patio, front entrance etc...) it seemed to work wonders and I am planning on doing it again pretty soon. You may need to re-apply in 2 weeks if there are still some present, mind you i only sprayed once and got rid of 90% of them and to be honest i dont mind a few here and there to control the flying insects.

Since you have a dog i would just stick to spraying up higher.... most of the spiders will eventually get to the higher up spots at some time and die.

2.0turbo
06-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
When I read the title I thought to myself he must live in new brighton. And sure enough you did!:rofl:
I also live in new brighton and have a gazillion spiders as well. I have a web stick that I always take the webs down with. Everytime I walk in my backyard I always get webs in my face. It's sooooo annoying. And it's true, we get at least a gazillion (exaggeration) different types of spiders. Some small ones, and some really really ugly ass spiders that creep me out like crazy. I hate it!

It's gross sitting on the patio set because everything has spiders on it.
It's been like this ever since I've moved here.
I used to try and kill them all, but no point. Everytime I kill one, theres another three spiders that takes its place :nut:
Spiders:guns:

I thought Copperfield, but close enough. The SE communities seem to have a crazy amount of spiders. I've learned to just live with it, they help to take care of the MASSIVE amount of bugs.

Just leave the little guys alone, but I have heard that lemon pledge will keep them away. Spiders in calgary don't hurt anyone, if the spiders here could kill you, then take drastic measures, but cmon, they are just spiders....

black_2.5RS
06-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I was also thinking, you can buy Praying Mantis (there's a farm in Ontario that will sell you an egg sack that probably has about 80 or so). These mantis will freakin' all insects (spiders, aphids, mosquitoes, etc) and roam around the neighbourhood as well. The great thing is:
1) If there is a food shortage, they will kill other Praying mantis
2) The winter will kill them all.

I bought a sack last year. Unfortunately, I didn't give them good enough coverage to hide when they were born and freakin' birds ate them as they hatched.

I know your essentially swapping one bug for another but......mantis are way cooler.