PDA

View Full Version : The Saddle

flipstah
05-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey gents!

So what kind of saddle do you guys ride in? Mine is the stock one and it's comfortable but I need to constantly adjust my position for the... uh... 'fellas.' I don't think it's a good position because while I can feel that I placed my 'sitting bones' on the saddle properly (I can feel them after sitting down on a normal chair,) and my legs are sore but not super tired so the height is just right, I have to get off my seat because things just won't stay in place. (Innuendos away!)

Is there a way to keep everyone happy? :rofl:

Don't judge me.

swak
05-30-2009, 01:01 PM
The right saddle is diff for everyone. Its more or less a guess and check thing

Kona9
05-30-2009, 01:04 PM
If you are just starting out or starting your season out, you will go through this particular "ass pain" every time you start after a lengthy break. I have found over the many years I have ridden that the best cure is to get right back on the saddle. (So to speak)

It will go away on its own obviously, but it tends to work itself out the more you use it.

Work with the saddle you have. Try a few different adjustments, and then look at a new seat for your last resort. If you find comfort in what you have, then perhaps a minor adjustment or two will be what you need.
Good luck!

ZorroAMG
05-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Duct tape your shit out of the way?

flipstah
05-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
If you are just starting out or starting your season out, you will go through this particular "ass pain" every time you start after a lengthy break. I have found over the many years I have ridden that the best cure is to get right back on the saddle. (So to speak)

It will go away on its own obviously, but it tends to work itself out the more you use it.

Work with the saddle you have. Try a few different adjustments, and then look at a new seat for your last resort. If you find comfort in what you have, then perhaps a minor adjustment or two will be what you need.
Good luck!

So basically just keep riding till my ass gets used to it? Kk, will do! I'll have to adjust the saddle down so that it'll be a little more comfortable.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Duct tape your shit out of the way?

Hmm... As tempting as it sounds, I have a feeling I might end up with an unintentional Brazilian... Ow. :rofl:

Despair*
05-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Different people have different sized 'sit bones' so one saddle may not partuclarly work well for another. I use a WTB Rocket V and it fits perfect. The WTB has a line that offers a variety of widths. It's all about finding the one that suits you.

Like Kona9 mentioned above, it takes time to get used to the saddle. The more time you spend with it, the more used to it you become. Another item that will help you is padded shorts (Shorts with a padded Chamois). They can be expensive at times, but usually every now and than you can find them at good prices when a bike shop has a sale.

flipstah
05-31-2009, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Despair*
Different people have different sized 'sit bones' so one saddle may not partuclarly work well for another. I use a WTB Rocket V and it fits perfect. The WTB has a line that offers a variety of widths. It's all about finding the one that suits you.

Mine is the Rocket V and I do like it but I think I'll have to wear running shorts instead of the basketball shorts because sometimes it gets caught when I'm getting on the bike, which gets annoying too.

As for the height, how high is TOO high? How can I determine that it's too high, which makes it inefficient to pedal?

98type_r
05-31-2009, 03:47 PM
I think for the most part, it is just putting time in on the saddle to allow the body to get used to it. That being said, there are some seats you will not get used to. I had one stock seat on a road bike a few years back and I could not get comfortable on this one.

As far as seat height goes, it you can't keep you foot parallel to the ground through your entire pedal stroke, then your seat is too high.

syeve
05-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Despair*
Shorts with a padded Chamois

This is a must!

Despair*
06-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Mine is the Rocket V and I do like it but I think I'll have to wear running shorts instead of the basketball shorts because sometimes it gets caught when I'm getting on the bike, which gets annoying too.

As for the height, how high is TOO high? How can I determine that it's too high, which makes it inefficient to pedal?

Hey Flipstah, sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread.

Yeah, defiantely basketball shorts would get caught since they can be quite long. Running short would be a bit better, but if you can also afford them take a look and see if you can buy a pair of padded biking shorts. They are definately worth it. Once I hear about any bike shop sales I'll post them so that if you are interested you can take a look and hopefully get them on sale.

Your pedal height should be positioned so that when you are pedaling your leg should close to straight at a full extension. With that in mind lots of riders prefer different settings. If I am going to do alot of climbing I'll definately make sure my seat is higher giving my leg close to full extension. If I know there is a downhill coming up that is long and technical, i'll drop it so that I can get behind my seat quickly if need be. If your seat is too high it will feel very uncormfortable and feel like you are rocking on your saddle from left to right as each leg turns the cranks. Hopefully that makes sense.

Man... I'd love to have a gravity dropper! haha...

Mitsu3000gt
06-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Step 1: Buy a shorts with padding for your taint & ass bones. It's usually $130-$160 for a good pair of shorts & a chamois. I like the FOX stuff personally.

Step 2: Try find a seat with a little more padding, but still isn't huge or really heavy. I second the recommendation of the WTB line, thats what my seat is but I don't know the exact model.

Other than that, there isn't much you can do. If you ride 2 days in a row, 5 min into the second ride you will be numb anyways and then its a non-issue.