PDA

View Full Version : U of A opinions?

ExtremeSi
10-27-2003, 01:35 PM
I'm considering going to the university of Alberta either Sept 2004, or possibly 2005. The reason I would go there is because they are the closest Post-secondary institution that offers an Industrial Design Degree Program. I was wondering what everyone's take on the University was. I think I'm going to go up there sometime to check it out. The biggest obsticle I'm facing is cash. If I stay in Calgary I get free board from my parents, but I can't take Industrial Design. If I move up there, I'll probably be living on campus, but it will still cost a considerable amount I'm sure. Does anyone have any experience up there? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Weapon_R
10-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Good University, outperforms the UofC by a large margin.

littledan
10-27-2003, 02:29 PM
i go to the uofa. tuition is a bitch and they try to nickel and dime you to death (ie parking) but overall it's a pretty good place to spend time. campus is nice and you could probably find a place within walking distance for not too much $$.

C4S
10-27-2003, 03:15 PM
:D Good for you ! U A is a very good and nice university ! well .. parking is a bit pricy ..

For sure, it is a better University then U of C , not by far, however, at least in the future, when you tell people you grad for U of A is much better then U of C. ;)

AutodreamMarvin
10-27-2003, 05:22 PM
$7/day parking at hub suck ass, but u of a is more recognized more than the u of c.
my ex took industrial design. pretty funny course. think of it as shop class x1000.
i remember for her first week they got to learn how to draw circles. as you progress though, there are many different routes to take and you can find yourself spending about 5 hours every other day trying to meet deadlines. i think the ones who excel in industrial design are those who are mechanically inclined. also, if you are good with body work on your car, that helps you ALOT! they recommend using automotive putty to smooth the surfaces of their projects and i told my ex to use bondo,and stick pieces of wood to fill in the larger crevices of her objects and she cut her time more than HALF! anyways, if you decide to go in 2005 let me know, as i might be wanting to do med school in u of a and i'll need a room-mate.

RiCE-DaDDy
10-27-2003, 06:58 PM
too bad edmonton is trash...

ExtremeSi
10-27-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by brbHPR
$7/day parking at hub suck ass, but u of a is more recognized more than the u of c.
my ex took industrial design. pretty funny course. think of it as shop class x1000.
i remember for her first week they got to learn how to draw circles. as you progress though, there are many different routes to take and you can find yourself spending about 5 hours every other day trying to meet deadlines. i think the ones who excel in industrial design are those who are mechanically inclined. also, if you are good with body work on your car, that helps you ALOT! they recommend using automotive putty to smooth the surfaces of their projects and i told my ex to use bondo,and stick pieces of wood to fill in the larger crevices of her objects and she cut her time more than HALF! anyways, if you decide to go in 2005 let me know, as i might be wanting to do med school in u of a and i'll need a room-mate.

Thanks dude. Appreciate the info. I really really think i want to take Industrial Design. I just finished a year of Engineering and it's really not for me. I love design and physics and stuff like that, but i hate math! So the only question is money, and when will i have enough to go there. I'm thinking September 2004 is still too soon for me to get my marks up and save enough cash. So i may be looking at Sept. 2005. And that would be awesome to room with a fellow beyonder, I'll have to see what happens in the future...

ExtremeSi
10-27-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
too bad edmonton is trash...

In what ways? Because for the most part I've heard it's almost the same as here. Have you had some bad experiences there?

Stratus_Power
10-27-2003, 11:45 PM
I go to U of A as well, very nice school. loving it everyday

Gondi Stylez
10-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Good University, outperforms the UofC by a large margin.

i dunno man, it depends on what ur doing! personally im looking at medicine and the UofA isnt lightyears ahead of the UofC! UofC has come a long way in the past 10 years in this field and its research facility and uni. hospital outperforms UofA in quite a few aspects! UofC has been recognized for medical breakthroughs where the UofA hasnt had one in sometime, of any GREAT importance! calgary is also the only city in western canada with a children's hospital and all the pediatricians comin from vancity and edmonton come down here cuz we have those facilitys! IMO it depends on what ur takin, and if UofC doesnt have ur course then by all means head up to deadmonton and do the degree that u wanna pursue!

edit: van city may have a childrens hospital, dunno tho!!! pretty sure they dont last time i checked!

RiCE-DaDDy
10-31-2003, 03:20 PM
i agree u of a is probably better, but its not like a night and day difference like UNi and MRC. For a employer, what school is a factor, but if its between U of C or U of A, it wont be a clear decision

hjr
10-31-2003, 03:29 PM
U of A has one of the best industrial design degree's in the country. YOu just have to get in, which is not the easiest thing to do.

hjr
10-31-2003, 03:37 PM
yaaaaaay u of a. go bears, go golden bears

rage2
10-31-2003, 03:39 PM
My wife graduated from U of A. She lived at the Hub, and weekends living at the Hub rocks. The idea of living in a mall... where u can check out ppl walking around, go and buy Edo Japan Sukiyaki beef downstairs... wicked stuff!

ExtremeSi
10-31-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by hjr
U of A has one of the best industrial design degree's in the country. YOu just have to get in, which is not the easiest thing to do.

That's interesting. On the site it says I need to submit a portfolio of drawings and have a GPA of 2.0 or greater. How much higher of a GPA do you think I should have? Or do you think it's based mostly on the portfolio?

kaput
11-01-2003, 12:35 AM

Weapon_R
11-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

That's interesting. On the site it says I need to submit a portfolio of drawings and have a GPA of 2.0 or greater. How much higher of a GPA do you think I should have? Or do you think it's based mostly on the portfolio?

The higher the better. Don't set anything for yourself under a GPA of 4.0. Almost every program will have a minimum GPA requirement, but they are usually not in demand and no competition is there to require a higher GPA than 2.0.

Management students at the U of C require a 3.2 or something for guaranteed admission, but that is only because there is so much demand for the faculty.

ExtremeSi
11-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I thought there was an industrial design program at the U of C? I guess it's probably a masters program though, not sure.

Ya UofC only offers a masters.

hash
11-01-2003, 04:53 PM
I moved to UofA ... from Calgary... and I don't think I'm spending much more than I would in Calgary. The main reason being... here, I can live on (or close to) campus and don't have the need for a car. If you have your own car... costs add up... insurance, repairs, gas, parking. You can also find places next to the UofA for pretty cheap.. .depending on what your needs are.

Also, I believe tuition is slightly lower here...( but who knows what the heck is going to happen with Bill 43.)

kaput
11-01-2003, 05:20 PM

hjr
11-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

That's interesting. On the site it says I need to submit a portfolio of drawings and have a GPA of 2.0 or greater. How much higher of a GPA do you think I should have? Or do you think it's based mostly on the portfolio? the program is from my knowledge, almost 90% portfolio based. and apperantly there are only around 30 spots to fill each year. my buddy tryed last year but was rejected.

hash
11-01-2003, 07:49 PM
Bill 43 is a proposed legislation to deregulate post-secondary tuition in Alberta. Like they did with natural gas...

B18C
11-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Goto www.albertaintegras.com and talk to Robee18a. She is in Industrial Design at the U of A.

As for med schools. U of A is way ahead of U of C. Macleans ranks U of A med school #7 compared to #14 for U of C in 2002. This time you can't even argue that U of C emphasizes different attributes from there students because U of A has switched to a problem-based style (as well as almost every other med school in canada).