PDA

View Full Version : BMW Performance in Calgary

ForcedInduction
10-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Yo Brandt here. Msging my way from Vic, BC. Thinking of making my way cross the mountains before you guys see the snow.

Are there places in Cal there that cater to the bmw culture? I'm talkin places to do up a car like my 93 bimmer. I've heard of a place called tunerwerks, people be saying there good, but that they don't do service. any places I can go and buy a uuc exhaust or whatnot and have them install it to.

so tunerwerks and what other shops in calgary that deal with bmw and performance bmw.

cool message board. talk to everyone latr.

Brandt

ForcedInduction
10-27-2003, 04:31 PM
oh and does tunerwerks carry dinan? do they test n tune to?

max_boost
10-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Tunerworks is great for BMW Performance. Check out their website, www.tunerworks.com

C4S
10-27-2003, 04:41 PM
Tunerworks is good ! both Mark and Rob are nice guys to deal with !

Fair price too ! ( of corse, can't expect price as low as Honda or Toyota for BMW ! )

Tunerworks does not really do " DINAN " ( DINAN is probaby the best performance stuff for BMW ! I love DINAN ..but .. stupidly expensive)

You can go to see Reg from RCTS for Dinan stuffs,or go Calgary BMW ^_^

Anyway, just go to chat with Rob or Mark !

ForcedInduction
10-27-2003, 04:43 PM
I've been saying their name wrong all this time. damn, sorry.

so tunerworks, they're the only shop in cal that deals with bmw performance? ok thats cool, as long as theyve got good prices. the pst over here has always been a downer, gotta love ab.

rage2
10-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Tunerworks can sell you parts, Alpine Autowerks can do the installs. Marc @ Alpine Autowerks just finished a supercharged E36 M3... 340whp with TEC3 and tuning.

The shops are 2 blocks away from each other, and pricing is fair with both shops.

Tuner1
10-27-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Tunerworks can sell you parts, Alpine Autowerks can do the installs. Marc @ Alpine Autowerks just finished a supercharged E36 M3... 340whp with TEC3 and tuning.

The shops are 2 blocks away from each other, and pricing is fair with both shops.

We are like meat and potatoes, bread and butter :D We sold the TEC and Marc & the Crew made it fly! Damn impressive car.

Rob

ForcedInduction
10-27-2003, 05:11 PM
you supercharged an m3 motor?? lord man, some serious tuning be needed.

i thought m3 motors were high compression. more so then the stadard two eight 6 cylinder motors. what did this marc and crew have to do to get everything working in harmony. that great though. 340 horsepowa to the ground, gotta fly!! %$$%^#$

three.eighteen.
10-27-2003, 05:12 PM
haha yeah, once you get those BBS CHs and coilovers finalized for me rob *ahem*;) i'm taking the car to Alpine to get the whole suspension installed along with new control arms

Fluidic
10-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Doesn't Calgary BMW deal with Dinan? Doesn't that RCTS guy deal with Supra's or is he now into BMW's?

Oh and Marc and Pete are the guys to see when wanting something installed or tuned when it comes to European cars.

One day they will be working on my GT3... like the one at RaceCity yesterday!

DROOL! lol

Peter

jdmakkord
10-27-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
Doesn't Calgary BMW deal with Dinan? Doesn't that RCTS guy deal with Supra's or is he now into BMW's?

Oh and Marc and Pete are the guys to see when wanting something installed or tuned when it comes to European cars.

One day they will be working on my GT3... like the one at RaceCity yesterday!

DROOL! lol

Peter

Reg has been doing ecu reprogramming on bimmers for years, check his website out.

rage2
10-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by ForcedInduction
you supercharged an m3 motor?? lord man, some serious tuning be needed.
hehe you bet! The car was blowing headgaskets using ERT software.... now it runs perfect. Even survived track day abuse yesterday.

Originally posted by ForcedInduction
i thought m3 motors were high compression. more so then the stadard two eight 6 cylinder motors. what did this marc and crew have to do to get everything working in harmony. that great though. 340 horsepowa to the ground, gotta fly!! %$$%^#$
Marc o-ring'd the block, head studs installed, TEC3 install, injector install, and I did the tuning.

pinoyhero
10-27-2003, 06:54 PM
I know its already been said but I found TWRX to be the best, they guys over there are just grea to deal with.

whatthe
10-27-2003, 08:20 PM
E36 M has a beautiful motor. If you don't have proper tuning and fuel, even good motors will not last. Dinan kits are pricey but they come with everything and they are backed by factory warranty. One good thing... the testing is done and it's assured to not harm the car. Straight forward including matched software. Reg is a tuner who has had his hands into a great deal of interesting projects. RCTS has been doing DINAN for several years. Their stock motor, DINAN SC M Roadster went on the 15,000km One-Lap of America journey in 2001 with over 300rwhp. This car has made a lot of laps even with the local BMW club at this level, and leak-downs on the motor as of this summer were 4-5% after several years of road and track abuse. Several other Dinan SC Ms running around... no engine problems I have heard of.

If there ever was a car that is just simply, incredibly nice to drive... this year M and forced induction with it would be up on the top of my list.

EK 2.0
10-27-2003, 08:24 PM
RCTS...Reg Reimer also does Bimmers...

rage2
10-27-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by whatthe
Reg is a tuner who has had his hands into a great deal of interesting projects. RCTS has been doing DINAN for several years. Their stock motor, DINAN SC M Roadster went on the 15,000km One-Lap of America journey in 2001 with over 300rwhp.
The owner of the SC M3 that I was talking about actually went to Reg first, based on recommendations on bimmerforums. Went there like 3 or 4 times, and Reg told him he couldn't understand the code from his ECU, couldn't tune it, so he recommended a new ECU.:nut: He said he could install the Dinan software, but too bad that wasn't calibrated to this car... since it's not a Dinan supercharger. RCTS just could not do this car.

Next step was Florida, where a chip tuner read the chip fine and could work on it. But that was in florida, time zones were different, and it was too tough to work with someone so far away.

In the end, the TEC3 was ordered from tunerworks and tuning done locally because it made the most sense. And with 340rwhp on pump gas, I think it was the right choice. The car's making more power than anyone else at 5.8psi... hell, it's making more power than some guys at 11psi with similar setups :).

It would've been a lot easier if Reg could've tuned the car on the stock ECU. Too bad he couldn't do it. I'm not trying to bash Reg/RCTS, I mean he is a Supra god, but I don't think he's a BMW expert yet. I think his BMW expertise is just Dinan bolt on installs.

whatthe
10-28-2003, 01:12 AM
Sounds like some holes in the story as I would have to assume he needed a custom ROM board/reader/editer to make it all happen on the OBDII ECU. You can't read what you can't download into a easily readable format. The older ECUs with std. pin eeproms, with the registration readily available... stuff like that is no problem and it doesn't matter what it is, it can generally be tuned with success. However, OBDII and new ULEV stds. put a crimp on the performance world and it isn't so simple as just going in and seeing that the 2 or 3 or 4 timing maps are located at 00FF-XXXX, and all the fuel maps are over at this address and you can change them by doing 'X' etc. etc. Hence why the other SC M had to go off to Florida with the stock ECU. Not a common, cheap thing to do. Unless you are 'Neo' and speak 'Matrix' you are going to spend wayy too much time deciphering the std. ECU for one guys newer ECU. That or unless you have spent big sums of cash for pre-made equipment from 'Neo' that makes it possible to make it quick enough to be affordable for the customer... it's also not worth it.

This is probably why he was sending his ECU off to Florida. This is also the reason aftermarket EMS exists and why he has found his way to one.

Reg definetely has the BMW knowledge and experience, sometimes you just lack the right tools to be able to make it affordable for a customer. DINAN is meant to exclusive just as AMG is exclusive because they do it right the first time. If you work out of AMG, they aren't going to suggest putting on a non-AMG part. Aftermarket EMS could have been done, but DINAN can be picky about conflicting parts for stuff they already provide. If they weren't, it would definetely cheapen the name.

As far as bolt-ons... if you have a team of software/mechanical engineers designing, and manufacturing plants to create what you designed, people to test it, and all the new cars in the line-up before they are released from BMW for testing, wouldn't that be a good thing? The DINAN stuff is well engineered, well built, and hey they've been working on BMWs for over 20 some years.... wouldn't you want that kind of expertise at the disposal of some very capable tuners? Reg is known for 'Yotas but after working with him that you realize that a lot of is just experience and knowledge. I like to think I'm smart enough with tuning and even with basic knowledge in general with all the school I've taken, including MET currently... but Reg still has a lot on me. He was rebuilding motors when he was 5, modded away in the Hemi years, and spent a lifetime working around motorsports. Even found a ME degree in there somewhere.

In short-, once you know how to tune something, you can appy it to everything. Reg has worked with BMWs long enough to know the INs and Outs of a lot of them. Mechanically and electrically. Sorry this guy was sent away, but with RCTS, there are generally reasons above and beyond the 'bolt-on' mud-slinging.

rage2
10-28-2003, 10:54 AM
Sounds like some holes in the story as I would have to assume
No holes in the story... just holes in your assumptions :).

I would have to assume he needed a custom ROM board/reader/editer to make it all happen on the OBDII ECU. You can't read what you can't download into a easily readable format. The older ECUs with std. pin eeproms, with the registration readily available... stuff like that is no problem and it doesn't matter what it is, it can generally be tuned with success.
The ECU is OBD1, not OBD2. The chip is your standard 29C512 EEPROM chip. I read it out with my EEPROM reader/writer. No hardware needed, just the software. I have access to a Motronic editor, but it could only access 2 of the maps (there are about 12 fuel/ignition/correction maps in the code), so therefore I could not work with this instance of the motronic code. Which is why the owner went to Reg.

Hence why the other SC M had to go off to Florida with the stock ECU. Not a common, cheap thing to do.
Actually, all we did was email the code to Florida (yes the code that I read with my generic chip reader), and they saw exactly what the problem with the ERT code was. Hell, they even saw ERT try to richen things up to bandaid the lean problems the car was experiencing.

Unless you are 'Neo' and speak 'Matrix' you are going to spend wayy too much time deciphering the std. ECU for one guys newer ECU. That or unless you have spent big sums of cash for pre-made equipment from 'Neo' that makes it possible to make it quick enough to be affordable for the customer... it's also not worth it.
Exactly, which is why Reg couldn't help us.

This is probably why he was sending his ECU off to Florida. This is also the reason aftermarket EMS exists and why he has found his way to one.
Reg recommended against standalone EFI. He recommended buying a new ECU so he can flash non custom Dinan software which he hopes will fix it. Unfortunately, the Dinan software is tuned for the Dinan supercharger package. This car makes 40whp more than the Dinan Stage 2 S/C package, at 5psi less. Translation... it wont work.

Reg definetely has the BMW knowledge and experience, sometimes you just lack the right tools to be able to make it affordable for a customer.
Exactly. Which is exactly what I said, he wasn't capable of working on more advanced BMW stuff other than Dinan bolt-on packages.

As far as bolt-ons... if you have a team of software/mechanical engineers designing, and manufacturing plants to create what you designed, people to test it, and all the new cars in the line-up before they are released from BMW for testing, wouldn't that be a good thing? The DINAN stuff is well engineered, well built, and hey they've been working on BMWs for over 20 some years.... wouldn't you want that kind of expertise at the disposal of some very capable tuners?
:rofl:... so what you're saying is, get rid of everything that this owner has installed, and drop another ton of cash on a full dinan kit, and make 40hp less? Lemme say that again... :rofl:

Dinan stuff is good, works good, nobody's debating that. But that's not why he went to Reg. He went to Reg to get his Vortech supercharged and cam'd M3 working right.

In short-, once you know how to tune something, you can appy it to everything. Reg has worked with BMWs long enough to know the INs and Outs of a lot of them. Mechanically and electrically. Sorry this guy was sent away, but with RCTS, there are generally reasons above and beyond the 'bolt-on' mud-slinging.
haha dude, I'm not bashing Reg or RCTS, you have to understand that. Hell, I've recommended tons of Toyota guys to go to him, and he's done a great job. Search for my posts regarding RCTS and Toyota stuff, nothing but praise. But face it, he doesn't have what it takes to work on BMW's yet, other than bolt-on Dinan stuff. Hell, even Calgary BMW can do that too ya know.

whatthe
10-28-2003, 05:49 PM
so what you're saying is, get rid of everything that this owner has installed, and drop another ton of cash on a full dinan kit, and make 40hp less? Lemme say that again..

Where are you getting that? This conversation is going down hill. No I would not say get rid of every part on there. I'm not saying anything bad about the SC M at all. I think it's great that people take other routes and explore on their own. I'm from and I am still very much grass-roots, or I'm for just plain doing it different. However, I'm saying the DINAN SC kit would not have taken out the engine in the first place, nor does it require o-ringing to keep it together. The kit is complete and safe because of all the engineers and design that DINAN puts in to make it 'bolt on'. They can put much more effort in designing something for everything BMW, then one shop with a plethora of different projects on the plate ever could. Bolt on with DINAN many times includes cutting/chopping/moving parts around and sometimes welding. Trust me, you can still very easily screw something up... even just uploading their software. You don't work on them nearly every day, and not learn details about the cars that the average owner or enthusiast will not know. There are a lot of non-DINAN BMW projects that Reg has done as well but for the most part... people want something that has been tested, and will not require great altering of their BMW. When you start to see a lot of busted up stuff come to us from customers or from welll... other places. You start to appreciate the foresight it takes to get it done right the first time and without machining reciever grooves into the cylinder block and/or head just for a few extra ponies.

If you think Reg doesn't have foresight to get 'whatever neccessary' right on any given BMW the first time because the DINAN product line is already built exactly how an engineer like Reg would build it (bolt-on), I think you are wrong and out of line. That's all I'm saying. Expertise is part of tuning anything to survive, and knowing why they survive.... trust me.

Regs claims are not to huge hp numbers, or 1/4mile times, but road-race cars that endure big horsepower for extended cycles. This apparently inherently bothers some people as they still want the numbers.

Other than that, if you want to talk to Reg about why this guy was given the suggestions he was. Go talk to Reg. This is just going to go back and forth and all I can say is that sometimes... do to whatever circumstances (whether you get to know them or not) people get turned away. That however, has nothing to do with his expertise in tuning a certain car.

As for your other kind Toyota comments, those are appreciated. A lot of the stuff with 'Yotas were what he originally built his name on, however knowledge is a wonderful thing and it is now passed on to a lot of BMWs and a diversity of imports. Toyotas are likely only 15% of our local customer base (just a figure in my mind from past year and some working there).

ScCab
10-28-2003, 06:26 PM

Other than that, if you want to talk to Reg about why this guy was given the suggestions he was. Go talk to Reg. This is just going to go back and forth and all I can say is that sometimes... do to whatever circumstances (whether you get to know them or not) people get turned away. That however, has nothing to do with his expertise in tuning a certain car.
reg did not turn me away he just couldn't offer me what I needed to be done. I needed custom tuning at that time for my car. I went to him because he knows his shit from what I was told and alot of recommendation from others. when I talked and stopped by to see him I can see that he knows his tuning. then it was time to look at my software he couldnt understand the maps on that chip and by the time he would of figured it out it would of cost me alot so I moved on. I then found someone in florida that understood the maps of my software within aday of him looking at it he figured out my problem, but then I decided I wanted a tec3 so I can add more shit to my car later without having to get a new chip burnt.
if I was looking for a dinan s/c at that time I probably would of bought it off him but that was not the case. he is really well known and I give him respect for that.

whatthe
10-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Hey bud, sorry about your car. I'll have to ask Reg the details because to me, it doesn't make any sense. If he had spent a day on your car tracing the ECU live the thing would have been tuned. Live tracing when you don't know the registration is the only way to really figure out the maps quickly. I can't see it being that out of whack with just a chip.... although who knows. BMW has some funky logarithms and such like Toyota that can take a while to figure out. Once you know that ECU, it doesn't take long from there... The place in Florida probably did something like it before I suppose.

The only other thing I can think of off-hand is conflict with DINAN themselves... which like I mentioned... they can be picky about.

Although I can say that he has since found an EMS that he likes, that he might of actually reccommended. Before the past couple of months and playing on his Supra with the new V-Pro, he was pretty hesistant about introducing the fiddling of EMS unless someone showed up with one in their car already. I think you made the right move going with EMS for your goals... I personally enjoy building cars and learning along the way. After a while it's prudent to have control of everything. Seeing some of the driveability on the most recent of stuff at the shop is also very encouraging.

rage2
10-28-2003, 06:47 PM
However, I'm saying the DINAN SC kit would not have taken out the engine in the first place, nor does it require o-ringing to keep it together.
It was the ERT software that caused the headgasket to fail. Which is why ScCab went to Reg for a solution that unfortunately never materialized. The O-Ringing was done after the fact to strengthen the package for future power upgrades.

Regs claims are not to huge hp numbers, or 1/4mile times, but road-race cars that endure big horsepower for extended cycles. This apparently inherently bothers some people as they still want the numbers.
ScCab is looking for reliable power, which is what he has now (finally). I guess it's just a bonus that he got more power than the Dinan package.

Toyotas are likely only 15% of our local customer base (just a figure in my mind from past year and some working there).
hehe didn't know you worked at RCTS... learn something new everyday :D.

ScCab
10-28-2003, 06:51 PM
Hey bud, sorry about your car. I'll have to ask Reg the details because to me, it doesn't make any sense. If he had spent a day on your car tracing the ECU live the thing would have been tuned. Live tracing when you don't know the registration is the only way to really figure out the maps quickly. I can't see it being that out of whack with just a chip.... although who knows. BMW has some funky logarithms and such like Toyota that can take a while to figure out. Once you know that ECU, it doesn't take long from there... The place in Florida probably did something like it before I suppose.

The only other thing I can think of off-hand is conflict with DINAN themselves... which like I mentioned... they can be picky about.

Although I can say that he has since found an EMS that he likes, that he might of actually reccommended. Before the past couple of months and playing on his Supra with the new V-Pro, he was pretty hesistant about introducing the fiddling of EMS unless someone showed up with one in their car already. I think you made the right move going with EMS for your goals... I personally enjoy building cars and learning along the way. After a while it's prudent to have control of everything. Seeing some of the driveability on the most recent of stuff at the shop is also very encouraging.
after all that bullshit with my car I just wanted to drive the damn thing. didnt care how fast it would be. just wanted a reliable driving car which I now have. to me the issue is dead cause my car is running good. now I need more boost:clap:

rage2
10-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Why the headgaskets went... and why ScCab was in desperate need of tuning :).

Before (ERT Software) :
http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/before.jpg

After (TEC3 + rage2 tuned) :
http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/after.jpg

nookmumracing
11-11-2004, 02:24 PM
:drama:

ZorroAMG
11-11-2004, 04:37 PM
^ahaha, reading isn't your strong suit nookmum, is it? That post is a year old.