PDA

View Full Version : New BMW 328i Coupe Purchasing Help!

Leekiwwi
05-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi all!
I have decided on my new car!
A 2009 White 328i Coupe.
But I am on a pretty tight budget, therefore would like any advice as to what I can deal with by bringing the sale price down.
MSRP on 328i is ~$42500
And I was thinking of the Xi, which is the AWD version.
This is an extra $2500. My question is, do I need this to drive my car in the winter? Can I get by safely with winter tires on a RWD BMW?
I heard that the xi version burns up more gas and is less reliable, and there is a loss in power. If I can get by with winter tires, I would prefer not to get the xi I think.

Also, I really like the red leather, but to get this, I need to add a package that is ~$2800. This package comes with Bluetooth, heated steering wheel, electric compass, .... a lot of things I dont really need basically.

As you can see, the price is starting to add up....

Im not an aggressive driver, therefore the extra $8000 for the 335i coupe is something i want to stay away from.

Has anyone recently bought a BMW?
I heard there were deals to be had recently, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Leekiwwi
05-31-2009, 04:22 PM
BTW, I would be financing after a trade-in.
So I dont have cash on hand to buy it out.....

Thanks, and please comment^^

vengie
05-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Why don't you just buy a lower KM 2007? or even 08, there are some GREAT deals to be had.

benyl
05-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Wait for the 2010.

The coupe is getting a refresh.

Aleks
05-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Leekiwwi
Hi all!
I have decided on my new car!
A 2009 White 328i Coupe.
But I am on a pretty tight budget, therefore would like any advice as to what I can deal with by bringing the sale price down.
MSRP on 328i is ~$42500
And I was thinking of the Xi, which is the AWD version.
This is an extra $2500. My question is, do I need this to drive my car in the winter? Can I get by safely with winter tires on a RWD BMW?
I heard that the xi version burns up more gas and is less reliable, and there is a loss in power. If I can get by with winter tires, I would prefer not to get the xi I think.

Also, I really like the red leather, but to get this, I need to add a package that is ~$2800. This package comes with Bluetooth, heated steering wheel, electric compass, .... a lot of things I dont really need basically.

As you can see, the price is starting to add up....

Im not an aggressive driver, therefore the extra $8000 for the 335i coupe is something i want to stay away from.

Has anyone recently bought a BMW?
I heard there were deals to be had recently, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

You will not need AWD in the city. Last winter had record snow and there were a few times RWD AND FWD cars were stuck on neighbourhood streets due to ground clearance. That was not a typical winter though. I'd go with RWD.

Hakkola
05-31-2009, 04:44 PM
I drive a 328i, any car is fine with Winter's in calgary, the worst car I ever drove in the winter was FWD. The XI is a waste of money, and is noticeably slower than the 328I.

I hope you're getting a manual, if it's auto you want, get a C-Class instead, this auto tranny blows.

Leekiwwi
05-31-2009, 04:46 PM
ya, 6 SP,
Ive looked on the trader and kijji, but there isnt much that i want.
Being an asian male, White is an essential colour!
:P

wardpr68
05-31-2009, 06:17 PM
the XI is heavier, less fuel efficient, slower, and worse handling.

I have driven a 2008 328i with snow tires and it handled better than most FWD with snow tires or an AWD with all seasons.

Get the rear wheel and get snow tires, you will be amazed how well it does.

FiveFreshFish
05-31-2009, 06:44 PM

Being an asian male, White is an essential colour!

If you buy new, get the colour that you truly want. Don't be a sheep by getting what your friends and family expect you to get.

Leekiwwi
05-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

If you buy new, get the colour that you truly want. Don't be a sheep by getting what your friends and family expect you to get.

Ya, I really want a White Car with Red Interior.

So it looks like I wont even think about the Xi (4WD) version, but does anyone know about pricing?
How much can I negotiate off the MSRP?
I am thinking that I will get the Premium package ($2800).
Anyone have experience recently negotiating on a new Bimmer?

Also, is there a big difference between Leatherette and Dakota Leather?

Leekiwwi
05-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Wait for the 2010.

The coupe is getting a refresh.

How long is the wait?
What does this 'refresh' entail.
Sry, BMW noob :P

JTC180
05-31-2009, 10:35 PM
There are financing and leasing deals to be had curenntly. Check the news paper, sometimes there are ads in there. You might have a little room to negotiate price but not too much because they are fairly popular cars.

Leekiwwi
05-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by JTC180
There are financing and leasing deals to be had curenntly. Check the news paper, sometimes there are ads in there. You might have a little room to negotiate price but not too much because they are fairly popular cars.

I think the finance rate right now is 2.9%, which I think is really good for BMW.
I understand their fairly popular cars, but with recession and all, hmmmm.....
If MSRP + Freight PDI = $48000,
How much should I expect to get off?

Thanks

VWEvo
06-01-2009, 12:12 AM

I think the finance rate right now is 2.9%, which I think is really good for BMW.

Thanks

Just negotiated a 328i two weeks ago at the Gallery. We negotiated $2500 off MSRP. They were pretty much not moving further as 328's have been selling very well.

Aleks
06-01-2009, 06:48 AM

Thanks

In December/January they were doing $7,000-10,000 off on in stock left over 08s and 1% financing. So it all depends what time of year, stock, how well they are selling etc.

Edit: this was on sedans

benyl
06-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Luxury car sales haven't really gone down. That is the problem. Haha. I can't even get a dollar off what I ordered <---

Aleks
06-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Luxury car sales haven't really gone down. That is the problem. Haha. I can't even get a dollar off what I ordered &lt;---

haha yeah what you ordered is a bit more upscale than a 328i

:burnout:

benyl
06-01-2009, 08:34 AM
I ordered my 335i in November of 2007. It was already on the ship and half way across the Atlantic. I didn't get it until the end of December. I got $2,500 off then. Then again, I was a repeat customer at the time.

If you are getting a 2009, I would expect that you could get more than that. If you wait a little and order a 2010, then I would guess you could get at least the freight and PDI off.

crazieness
06-01-2009, 08:46 AM
^^ you should easily be able to get a min $2500 off MSRP.

Dakota leather is actual leather instead of the leatherette, I suggest the Dakota.

XI vs I
Go with XI --> it's much more safer and you'll end up spending that much on winter tires anyways.

benyl
06-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by crazieness

XI vs I
Go with XI --&gt; it's much more safer and you'll end up spending that much on winter tires anyways.

WRONG!

XI is not safer without winter tires.

VWEvo
06-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I ordered my 335i in November of 2007. It was already on the ship and half way across the Atlantic. I didn't get it until the end of December. I got $2,500 off then. Then again, I was a repeat customer at the time.

If you are getting a 2009, I would expect that you could get more than that. If you wait a little and order a 2010, then I would guess you could get at least the freight and PDI off.

Read above, I'm pretty good at negotiations, and the most we negotiated is $2500 on an instock 2009. I was also expecting more, but we tried, no luck. Other than the 2.9%, there is no other factory cash incentive.

pinoyhero
06-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Skip the Xi, reconsider the red (pretty cool to start but you might get tired of that and could limit your resale audience), go with an '08 or '07 335i

benyl
06-01-2009, 09:14 AM
I have a black interior. The used market prefers it.

I know when I was looking for an M3 cab 2 years ago, I wanted white on black. All I could find was white on Cinamon or white on red.

Also, I know with beige and grey interiors, Jeans tend to make the seats blue. That could happen with the red interior.

blinkme_210
06-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Black interior is the safe choice, and everyone won't even think twice about buying a used car with a black interior.

As far as xi or not... my vote is to go with RWD. xi gets less fuel mileage and is slower due to the heavier weight of the 2 extra powered wheels.

If I could go back in time, I would have bought my E60 without the AWD. There's really no need for it here in Calgary. The AWD might make you feel safer getting up some hills, but that's about it.

JTC180
06-01-2009, 09:46 AM
2.9 is an ok lease rate. I remember back in 2006 my mom managed to get a 0% lease rate on her 325i. Cant get that anymore, this december she plans on buying instead of renting.

It also helps if you are a repeat customer. About a year ago my dad was shopping for his new car, and he couldnt get the options he wanted on a 135i, so he asked to go look in the basement at the crowfoot BMW Gallery. The salesman asked how we knew they had an underground facility, and my dad had mentioned we had purchased another car they found hiding under there. We went down looking for any semi interesting cars, and in one far corner we found a Blue Z4M. It had 200km on the clock, and the sales people had forgotten about it. We asked how much the msrp was, and they took us back upstairs, but couldnt even find the car in there files (it really had been forgotten about). They finally found it and told us the on the road price would be $83000. Needless to say after a little chatting and negotiation, we picked up the car a week later for $59500 on the road!

Hakkola
06-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by crazieness

XI vs I
Go with XI --&gt; it's much more safer and you'll end up spending that much on winter tires anyways.

:facepalm:

TC06
06-01-2009, 06:00 PM

Leekiwwi
06-01-2009, 11:28 PM
this thread has been pretty helpful so far.
I just went to the dealership tonight to look at the differences between leather/leatherette, M Package vs. Non, red interior vs. black, etc....

The red interior was not what I anticipated. It seems as though this red interior is much brighter than what I had in mind. I was thinking a dark red, but it wasnt.
Have decided on the black interior.

Leather vs. Leatherette:
I didnt have a long enough look at the leatherette, but the leather is nice. Will look more closely next time.

I really like the M packages Steering wheel, shift knob and lip kit.
The sport seats seem to be much nicer than the regulars as well.
but $3900 for that package.........

benyl
06-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Get the sport package. Non sport package cars are harder to sell later.

scat19
06-02-2009, 10:17 AM

Ya, I really want a White Car with Red Interior.

My favorite :drool:

I have a non-sport package car, and the seats are bland and boring. Sport package gives you bolsters, they look and feel nicer too.

blinkme_210
06-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Go for the Sport package on the RWD if you can't stomach the cost of the M package.