PDA

View Full Version : Damn bitch...

AndyL
06-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I couldn't help the subject - never had lawn problems until we got us a bitch... :lol: Why didn't we get a male dog again?

She's killing the grass... Quickly (ok she's a big girl)! Been out soaking the lawn down after she pees not really helping. Do any of these supposed products designed to fix dog spots actually work?

Andy

Jeremiah
06-01-2009, 10:32 AM
LOL - does a male dogs' urine not ruin grass?

Tell my Dog that....

Anyways, soaking in warm water is supposed to negate the affects of the nitrates in their urine (something like that). So if thats not working i would suggest taking her somewhere else to urinate.

Another Suggestion would be to replace the grass but leave a spot that is already ruined and train the dog to continue to use that area as her spot.

Unfortunately I do not know of any products that can help with this.

good luck

01RedDX
06-01-2009, 10:53 AM

z24_wheels
06-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I remember reading that you can make a spray bottle with 1/3 coke, 1/3 dish soap and 1/3 water. After your dog pees, you spray this mixture on the spot.

Mitsu_Paul
06-01-2009, 11:45 AM
scott's makes a fertilizer specificly for dog piss. check rona

luv2ride_bikes
06-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Yeah it's a myth. The males urine does the same thing.
Our male hasn't done anything to the grass when he pisses on it in our backyard. I was looking after a friends female dog for a few weeks and left us with a bunch of dead patches on our lawn.

01RedDX
06-01-2009, 12:03 PM

lilmira
06-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by z24_wheels
I remember reading that you can make a spray bottle with 1/3 coke, 1/3 dish soap and 1/3 water. THEN EMPTY THE BOTTLE, COLLECT THE PISS WITH THE BOTTLE AND SPRAY ON ANY TRESPASSING OBJECT.

Just kidding.

My female dog does it too. It is usually more pronounced in early spring/summer after the snow/ice is melted away. It isn't so bad in mid/late summer when we receive the rainfall.

I think the diet might have some effect too.

alloroc
06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Try vinegar and water?

The best thing is to train her to go to a specific spot..... like in a large cat litter box.

I know a couple of folks with dogs who are doing this.

5000Audi
06-01-2009, 12:30 PM
one reason why the male dog myth is around might be because male dogs pop a leg and piss on trees, fencing and other standing objects, most time rather then pissing like a female dog..

yeah go cheak out rona for the scotts stuff, friend of mine used it, also try and train the dog to use one area only then the whole lawn isnt affected

sputnik
06-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
Try vinegar and water?

You dont need vinegar.

It is the acid in the urine that burns the grass to begin with. Really the only way you can reduce the burn marks is to spray the peed on area with lots of water.

However most dog owners are far to lazy to do that and usually just let the dog out to do its thing and only care once their lawn looks like crap.

NickGT
06-01-2009, 12:47 PM
My dog is a male and my grass is fucked.. So is my neighbors. He also has a male dog.

But it doesn't take much to get it back... Throw a little grass seed down, some fertilizer, water religiously for a few weeks. It'll come back.....

AndyL
06-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Cody doesn't typically lift a leg, but he's also 20lbs - vs pepper's 70+lbs... None the less, never had to deal with burned grass in previous years :)

I was about to say - urea would be acidic + more it's a nutrient burn - I'd think we'd be trying to add baking soda or similar to neutralize - and soaking to wash down the concentration of the ammonia...

Time for a trip to rona I guess...

alloroc
06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
don't use ammonia for two reasons ...

1) Urine is nitrogen rich and ammonia compounds this (in fact the ammonium ion NH4+ is common in urine.)
2) After ammonia has set for a couple of days a dog thinks it smells like urine (duh) and the dog will pee in the same spot.

The reason I said to use vinegar is because compared to vinegar Uric acid is a base (cider vinegar would work well because it also contains malic acid) and the vinegar neutralizes the uric acid and some of the Nitrates both helping the lawn and reducing the smell to ecourage FIDO to piss in another spot.

That is why you see coke in the recipe mentioned by others - (Citric acid + phosphoric acid.)

extm88
06-01-2009, 03:53 PM
isnt there stuff you can put in the animals food or water that prevents this?

sputnik
06-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by extm88
isnt there stuff you can put in the animals food or water that prevents this?

No. If it existed EVERYONE would be using it.

masoncgy
06-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Your best bet is to fence off an area in the backyard that she can use as her facility... then you end up with a nice burnt area but at least it's contained to one section, so you don't have spots all over the yard.

My parents trained all of our dogs to run out and use such an area, and I have done the same with my dogs, and it works good...

It's far easier to build the little fence (or you can even buy them) than to spread soil, re-seed, water, etc.

;)