PDA

View Full Version : SRT-4 for first car?

Kittens11
06-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi guys, i am thinking about garbing an srt-4 for my first ride. I was also looking at a WRX and maybe an rsx-s, but conisdering you can get into a srt for 10g thats what im leaning towards at the moment. I know the interior is no were close to as nice to the Acura or Subie but not a huge deal to me. Any way let me know what you think.
Thx Brodie

vengie
06-01-2009, 11:27 PM
*waits for "I wrecked my SRT-4 yo" thread*

Sorath
06-01-2009, 11:35 PM
wouldnt buy that fast of a car for ur first car

Disoblige
06-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by vengie
*waits for "I wrecked my SRT-4 yo" thread*

Yeah please.. Even though "you can get into a srt for 10g", hope you don't just bag it all over the place and have it end up in a scrap pile in a few months or less. For your first car, I'd probably say WRX, I like AWD and it's better resell value than the Dodge.

Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-85315.html -> WRX or SRT-4?

xLostx
06-01-2009, 11:38 PM
shouldn't buy a car which can travel through time as your first whip.

Kittens11
06-01-2009, 11:39 PM
lol was waiting for everyone to say that lol. I am not planing on driving it like all the idiots you see on the road today or speeding every were i go..i just want a fun car i can hold on two for the next 4-5 years. My take on it is i may as well get something decent first time as i think the track might be something that interests me in the next little while.

Disoblige
06-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Kittens11
lol was waiting for everyone to say that lol. I am not planing on driving it like all the idiots you see on the road today or speeding every were i go..i just want a fun car i can hold on two for the next 4-5 years. My take on it is i may as well get something decent first time as i think the track might be something that interests me in the next little while.

There ya go. Go WRX, and you'll be happy in the Winter too. Trust me on this one ;)

BigMass
06-01-2009, 11:41 PM
get the RSX-S... then at least you'll have a nice refined and reliable car that won't feel like a 1970s Lada on the inside like the others do.

InLoveWitRSX
06-01-2009, 11:42 PM
or a civic... a hatch with a b18 or something would be fun... not to fast not to slow and reliable.

oh and its cheap.

Kittens11
06-01-2009, 11:44 PM
i actually don't like the look of the rsx interior at all not sure what it is just not a fan i guess.

Disoblige
06-01-2009, 11:55 PM
^^ You're right. I sat in one quite a few times and I think it's the temperature knobs and fan vents that make me dislike it. Has this cheap feeling (No offense RSX drivers, I for the most part drive civics & old Nissans :nut: )

Kittens11
06-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Well my buddy just got a srt-4 on Friday. well see what i think after i drive his anyways.

Sorath
06-02-2009, 12:00 AM
em2 better than dc5 interior? lol?

Disoblige
06-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
em2 better than dc5 interior? lol?

Haha, well no, but DC5 supposedly luxury sport compact so I expect something better than what's been presented with.

Deetz
06-02-2009, 12:07 AM
i actually don't like the look of the rsx interior at all not sure what it is just not a fan i guess.

Call me crazy, but love the interior of the rsx, especially the seats

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/deetzcrx/IMGP0972.jpg

BigMass
06-02-2009, 12:10 AM
the interior is what made me buy a Type S over a WRX and a few others in that class back in 05. It was really in a leaque above the others. So was the entire quality and feel of the car.

I really don't see how anyone could say that a WRX interior is better than the Type S interior. And i'm just talking Type S, not base RSX. That shouldn't even be compared.

403Gemini
06-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
the interior is what made me buy a Type S over a WRX and a few others in that class back in 05. It was really in a leaque above the others. So was the entire quality and feel of the car.

I really don't see how anyone could say that a WRX interior is better than the Type S interior. And i'm just talking Type S, not base RSX. That shouldn't even be compared.

Oh jeez, the wrx interior is crazy bland, i wouldnt say wrx > rsx-s at all haha. However WRX has a bit more room to "grow" in the car (4 dr for functionality, awd, more hp, more torque, easier to upgrade, etc).

A790
06-02-2009, 01:03 AM
SRT-4 is a fine first car so long as you can afford to maintain it. Leave your heavy foot at home when you walk out the door too.

jsn
06-02-2009, 01:25 AM
As much as i love the wrx/imprezas, the RSX definitely has a nicer interior IMO. If you want something cheap/fast then I'd probably go for the SRT-4. WRX's for 10 grand will have tons of mileage. But if you have abit more to spend, I'd chose the wrx. Gotta love the AWD:thumbsup:

Just do us all a favor and don't drive like a douche...

InLoveWitRSX
06-02-2009, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by BigMass

Uhhh premium base rsx interior is basically the same as type s... just not the shift knob and speedo..

5000Audi
06-02-2009, 04:16 AM
go find youself a nice Golf or Jetta GTI, them cars are fun,fast and will last a long time if you dont drive the shit outta em

GoChris
06-02-2009, 07:52 AM
for your first car...no, do not get an srt-4.

scat19
06-02-2009, 07:58 AM
I drove a Safari AWD SLT van for my first ride.

Fully loaded, 8 speakers, leather, room to "grow", and great in the winter. :rofl:

jongc
06-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Just giving ideas for OP, how about a Mazda Speed 6, it is really good for a first car, leather heated seats, bose sound system, all wheel drive and plus it looks awesome! :thumbsup:

j.garner
06-02-2009, 08:23 AM
speed 6 would be nice but good luck finding one for 10g

ZorroAMG
06-02-2009, 08:28 AM
If you like it, buy it.

WRX would get MY vote though

jongc
06-02-2009, 08:38 AM
That is true but if you ask me that's money well spent, l was initially like the OP looking for my 1st car for the same price range, but looking for a srt4 or a wrx in that price is a bit hard because considering they're pretty popular performance cars, it is either they're raced and the engine is about to die soon or like other beyonders here, takes care of their cars, unless OP know someone with the same vehicle that is for sale and is well taken care off, just sharing my experience on the OP, Good luck!

heavyD
06-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by jongc
Just giving ideas for OP, how about a Mazda Speed 6, it is really good for a first car, leather heated seats, bose sound system, all wheel drive and plus it looks awesome! :thumbsup:

Mazda depreciation is pretty bad but I don't believe you will find a used MS6 for $10K.

alloroc
06-02-2009, 09:05 AM

Brodie:

Do what you want but the odds are you are going to get into an accident. According to the AAA, Insurance agencies reported that 30% of new drivers get into an accident in the first year. - That is only accidents reported to insurance companies in the USA estimates are that with non reported accidents the number can be as high as 50% in the first year alone. The odds do go down each subsequent year but 70% of new male drivers get into an accident in the first four years of driving.

You can take any car to he track and taking a slower car can actually teach you how to hold your speed and apex a corner better than a fast car.

EDIT
I recommend a stock impreza or a Tiburon

texasnick
06-02-2009, 09:16 AM
IMO, for a new driver, an SRT-4 is just asking for trouble. I know you say you aren't going to drive crazy, but come on. We've all been there. You're in high school, young, have a pretty damn quick car, and YOU WILL USE IT! I know I did. Sometimes I wonder how I'm still alive.

Just be careful, buy something that will be reliable, comfortable, and isn't going to kill you in the winter, and start saving up for your "fun" car for those warmer days.

Alot of times we get sidetracked by the glitter and bells, and forget that a vehicle needs to be maintained. I'm no expert, but I would imagine that a turbo Chrysler would need some diligent maintenence routines to stay running like new.

You should also look up insurance rates for the SRT-4. Can you afford to keep it insured? And being such a new car, can you afford to keep it fully insured?

I dunno.....just my 2c.

Sugarphreak
06-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Go for a Civic in good shape, excellent handling & reliability

n1zm0
06-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by scat19
I drove a Safari AWD SLT van for my first ride.

Fully loaded, 8 speakers, leather, room to "grow", and great in the winter. :rofl:

first car for me was an 85 Tercel wagon with 4wd (not awd lol), ugly as hell but was bulletproof, pretty much the best damned thing to learn on and i had alot of fun in it, it had a tilt meter (just like alot of the JDM SUVs) and popped into 4wd without stopping the car, it taught me how to really drive a car and get the most out of it (they came 92 hp stock and this thing had 350k on it, you can guess how much hp was left lol), amazing in winter too!

Lol what is it with kids these days, 16 and buying 300 hp (heck even 200 hp as said above) cars for their firsts (vin diesel wannabes?) no offence kids, imo, get a beater have fun with it, fk around with it and learn how a car reacts to different inputs and learn how it works a bit a.k.a learn the basics, unless of course you've already drove alot OP and you're like 24 buying your first car then go ahead.

Aznhulk
06-02-2009, 10:23 AM
From personal experience of owning one (for almost 5 years)..

- Accelerating mildly hard and turning from a stop, or accelerating in a straight line in 1st, 2nd.. can put you into a median, pole, etc.. torque steer in 1st, 2nd gear will surprise even the best driver

- It's deceptive how fast you can get up to speed. Unless you have good car control (and as a new driver, i would suspect not), you can get into big trouble in this car..

- Maintenance? Every 5000 km, oil changes with Mobil-1 or any other good synthetic. Probably run you 70-80 bucks every change. Turbo creates a lot of heat. Heat puts a lot of stress on parts. Things will fail or need to be replaced. Also, if you drive hard, things will wear out. LCA bushings, CV joints, etc.. be prepared for $1k+ of repairs once in a while..

- Insurance is a hit or miss.. some insurers still have it listed as a 4-door Neon.. others, it's an SRT-4, but being a new driver, I don't suppose it's cheap

- It's not horrible for winter. A good set of winter tires will get over most of Calgary's winter roads... But again, it comes down to the driver, not the car..

narou
06-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Buy a rusty ass honda and practice driving in this city before you try something new.

bituerbo
06-02-2009, 10:41 AM
SRT-4 is not a bad choice, just get one that's always been stock, and keep it stock while you learn to drive it properly.

Pros:
-cheap to buy when compared to a vehicle of similar performance
-easy to work on (transverse 4cyl, uncomplicated brakes/suspension)
-cheap for parts
-fun to drive

Cons:
-reliability issues when you start modding
-torque-steer if you get a 2003 (2004/2005 had LSD)
-road going costs (insurance and premium gas)
-poor resale (you are buying used, not as big an impact)

Mibz
06-02-2009, 10:45 AM
OT: Is your buddy the guy in Bridlewood that bought Allan's red one?

Anyway, no. Not for your first car. +1 for Golf or RSX. I have a feeling that maintenance would be worse on a WRX than any of the others.

EDIT: Just to add the above. Any car will become less reliable when you mod it. You just have to mod smart. The guys who melt pistons and blow gaskets are the ones trying to tune without a wideband. I've constructed a simple flow chart to highlight the process of budget builds.

http://members.shaw.ca/mibz/BudgetBuild.jpg

nj2Type-S
06-02-2009, 11:48 AM
i owned an rsx-s for 4 yrs w/o any problems whatsoever. it's not a fast car by any means but it's comfy, good on gas, the interior is gorgeous (imo) and of course, it's reliable.

for your first car, get a POS because you WILL damage it, lol. but if you've got your sights set on a wrx, an srt-4 or an rsx-s, my vote goes to the rsx.

wes_v
06-02-2009, 11:58 AM
go for a n/a as your first car a turbo is to much for a first car/new driver my buddy went down that road and he wrecked his sr20 DET 240 in a week lol:werd:

heavyD
06-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Alot of people chiming in like the SRT-4 is a POS which isn't true. Late model Neons have average/above average reliabiliy. Mine was very reliable, parts were cheap, and the car was very easy to work on. The paint in particular was much more durable compared to the thin, water based paints that come on cars manufactured in Japan that chip like crazy on our gravelled pavement roads. The transmissions can fail if bagged by the previous owner on but otherwise the rest of the car is pretty strong. If you are responsible I see no reason not to own one over say as RSX which will cost more money to purchase and repair. Just try to get one that is bone stock as the SRT-4 community in Alberta is a bunch of ass clowns.

Kittens11
06-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Thx for all the coments guys, but i am deffianetly not getting a safari or a rusty ass honda. I can see were most of you are coming from when you say i shoulnt get something fast but i got quite a few friends with faster cars then the ones i listed that drive fairly responsible and havent had any problems.

Kittens11
06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
And ya i can afford the insurance and manintence on the car or i would not be buying it. I have looked into the cost of ownesrship on all three "rsx,wrx,srt-4" with the srt-4 being the cheapest in the inital and the long run from what i can see.

redsrt4
06-02-2009, 03:51 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Dodge-2004-Dodge-SRT-4-Stage3-W0QQAdIdZ121858464

if you're looking for an srt4,, check this out//

anschutz_92
06-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't know why all young people feel the need to spend a bunch of money on cars. They are a depreciating asset, they get absolutely raped in school parking lots (door dings), and at the end of the day, you still only have a 10k junker.

Buy a 2000 Civic DX and be happy; go to the gym, bang HS chicks and drink your brains out every weekend. If not you will look back when you are 19-20 and think what a retard you were putting all this effort into acquiring this "pussy magnet" vehicle. 17y/o girls don't car what car you have, just the fact you have a car makes them wet. You also aren't going to impress anyone beyond some HS kids hiding boners in his waistband with srt4, rsx or subaru if that is what you're aiming for.

If you want to have fun, pick up somethings cheap, fwd and manual and do some track days. I can guarantee at the track an Automatic 1995 Hyundai would be WAY beyond your driving abilities

bituerbo
06-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by redsrt4
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Dodge-2004-Dodge-SRT-4-Stage3-W0QQAdIdZ121858464

Don't get a stage III, get a stock one.
Once that wears out, go stage I.
Then once that wears out, go stage III.
Again this will wear out and you'll likely be in the market for something with traction.

Mibz
06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Go ahead and get the Stage 3. Just make sure when you crash you don't do it head-on and I'll take the Stage 3 off your hands.

InLoveWitRSX
06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by redsrt4

guess we'll see him in the hospital

bituerbo
06-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Go ahead and get the Stage 3. Just make sure when you crash you don't do it head-on and I'll take the Stage 3 off your hands.

Can I have the rest of the car + your stock bits?

alloroc
06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by anschutz_92
If you want to have fun, pick up somethings cheap, fwd and manual and do some track days. I can guarantee at the track an Automatic 1995 Hyundai would be WAY beyond your driving abilities

Funny.

My first car was a 1972 Corolla 1.6 ... two speed auto.
At CSCC slaloms (At Deerfoor Mall - anyone else remember these?) Anyyways I reached the first two turns so slow I always signalled and cleaned the windows with the wipers. I think the car was class D stock or something. My times were good though I usually beat most of the Class B guys.

bundi
06-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Thx for all the coments guys, but i am deffianetly not getting a safari or a rusty ass honda. I can see were most of you are coming from when you say i shoulnt get something fast but i got quite a few friends with faster cars then the ones i listed that drive fairly responsible and havent had any problems.

:facepalm:

You aren't getting the point man. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone starts off as an inexperienced driver. Even if you try to drive safe, you still might fuck up, hey -- shit happens right?

The guy that mentioned collision insurance earlier made a good point... it cost me like $200 a month with no collision coverage for my first car. I would recommend buying a car that isn't going to ruin your life if you total it, because you just might wreck it on accident. You can still have a lot of fun owning a car that doesn't have a lot of power....

Also, a list of shitty things that happened to my first car.

-Friend vomits in back seat and on back of front seat - You know your friends can't hold their booze either :)
-Girl vomits in front seat/on door - Girls are worse..
-Lots of door dings - idiots
-Cigarette burns - idiots and me.
-Gravel damage driving out to lakes/farms for camping or parties and what not
-bumped in parkinglots

Anyways, I hope you pick something that you can enjoy and not stress over it being damaged

rev715
06-02-2009, 11:08 PM
go for the wrx for sure
it has good power, its a handler, great for snow, and looks sick
add a chip and some minor boltons you will be hitting 300hp
best over all

ercchry
06-02-2009, 11:19 PM
get a damn truck/suv.... why get a fast car if you are not going to drive fast?

truck/suv trumps all in high school... why?

-welcome to alberta.... girls love trucks
- fit all your friends
- go camping
- can run over curbs and shit and not cause $1000s in damage
- once you get older you will appreciate the comfort of a relaxing daily driver.... that can tow your fun car to the track

F5kyLine
06-02-2009, 11:39 PM
trucks are really nicee

my friend has a 04' ford f-150 with a v8 triton, tha thangs a beast.

But they are expensive for me at the moment...

ercchry
06-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by F5kyLine
trucks are really nicee

my friend has a 04' ford f-150 with a v8 triton, tha thangs a beast.

But they are expensive for me at the moment...

well from your thread your price range is 5g to 7.5 and umm trucks can be had for as cheap as $5.50..... but even in your price range trucks newer then 2000 can be had easy

Drsuce
06-03-2009, 12:05 AM
My first car was a 1985 toyota mr2 :) It was a perfect beginners car for a few reasons

1) It was only $3800
2) it was not fast but it was FUN. Its fun being able to run a car hard to 7600 rpm in 1st 2nd and 3rd and still be at the speed limit :)
3) cheap on gas, it only cost me 15 bucks to fill at the time.
4) only 2 seats means you are NOT the donkey ride home
5) only 2 seats means you dont have 4 people screaming and fucking with the radio, causing you to crash
6) pop up headlights = coming home at 3am STEALTH style
7) driving an mr2 through a calgary winter will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know about car control

i have never had as much fun in any car as i did my mr2, was it because it was my first car? who knows. All i know is that i would give my right nut to have that car back!

P.S. Has anyone seen a Red 85 MR2 with a center exit exhaust around town? I sold it to somone in dalhousie oh... 5 years ago? :) Heres a pic of the car, and a link (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-39000.html) to my first beyond post! http://drsuce.homestead.com/files/rl/MVC-550S.JPG
why did i sell it you ask? i saw rust and freaked out.... and it had a blown clutch, needed 4 new tires and brakes all the way around... but yah, i saw rust and freaked out!

dont be gay and buy an srt4...

bundi
06-03-2009, 12:37 AM
:werd:

Those are great points, I hate giving people rides.. they always bitch about stereo, windows, cramped back seat.. like.. take the fucking bus then Grandma. :guns:

Drsuce
06-03-2009, 01:01 AM
my parents blessed the 2 seater idea with open arms... never understood why untill i grew up :)

nj2Type-S
06-03-2009, 01:14 AM
my first car was a 1985 nissan sentra that i got for $1500. lasted me a year, lol!

B4tMan
06-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Deetz
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/deetzcrx/IMGP0972.jpg
the seats are the only good thing in that car

Deetz
06-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan

the seats are the only good thing in that car

Speak for yourself, i love the car. I bought the car brand new, it been flawless, and everything still works like brand new.

911fever
06-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by anschutz_92
I don't know why all young people feel the need to spend a bunch of money on cars. They are a depreciating asset, they get absolutely raped in school parking lots (door dings), and at the end of the day, you still only have a 10k junker.

Buy a 2000 Civic DX and be happy; go to the gym, bang HS chicks and drink your brains out every weekend. If not you will look back when you are 19-20 and think what a retard you were putting all this effort into acquiring this "pussy magnet" vehicle. 17y/o girls don't car what car you have, just the fact you have a car makes them wet. You also aren't going to impress anyone beyond some HS kids hiding boners in his waistband with srt4, rsx or subaru if that is what you're aiming for.

honestly, I agree. Finally, I agree. I've spent way too much on cars, for what purpose? Only spend money on cars that are worth it, like 25k+ cars, or built cars or something worth it.

Z_Fan
06-04-2009, 10:03 PM
You should totally buy an SRT-4. If it is stock, the first thing you should do is put the Mopar Stage 3 kit on it. Or an AGP Stage IV kit. What kind of pussy drives a stock SRT-4?

Then you should race it.

All these people telling you not to buy an SRT-4. :thumbsdow

You were born to go quick.

The SRT-4 was born to go quick.

It's a perfect match. :devil:

r3ccOs
06-05-2009, 05:51 PM
you gotta live your life a 1/4 mile at a time

Kittens11
06-05-2009, 11:04 PM
lol funny shit well i think i may take your guys advice to some extent, but i definitely aint getting no rusty as van, looking into an 06 and up civic si. Still a quick car but not as death as an srt-4 anyway. Let me know what you think.

sxtothe240
06-05-2009, 11:53 PM
get an talon TSI? 4wd, turbo, decently quick, cheap.

Disoblige
06-05-2009, 11:54 PM
06+ Civic I'd probably say is a better choice. 6 Speed, 197 hp and N/A.

And affordable too these days. Maybe not as affordable as a first car though ;)

stevieo
06-06-2009, 12:10 AM
why not get the cheaper rsx-s then? its almost the same thing

Disoblige
06-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Sure, it's his choice. Just thought I'd suggest otherwise since he doesn't like the RSX interior. Also, the civic will be a newer car, (dunno if you like digital speedometer), and for roughly same price as an older RSX

Kittens11
06-06-2009, 12:23 AM
ya i have been looking around you can pickup an 06 si coupe for 15k and it has room for upgrades in the future.