PDA

View Full Version : Sold my car but didn't get a bill of sale

BigMass
06-01-2009, 11:30 PM
So I sold my old beater for $1000 late one night and just signed off on the registration thinking nothing of it.

5 months later I get a registration renewal form in the mail. This signifies that the car is still under my name and the guy who bought it off me never registered it.

I tried contacting him but no response. So what can I do to legally be removed from the vehicle. I don’t want this guy robbing banks or crashing into shit with what is still legally my car.

Or should I just not worry about it.

Thanks

calepeters
06-01-2009, 11:34 PM
call your registration office and tell them you sold it, and to cancel

BigMass
06-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by calepeters

told me they can't do it without a bill of sale. :dunno:

tentacles
06-01-2009, 11:42 PM

You need a bill of sale for that. I ran into trouble with this - I sold an old beater and 6 month later I get a call from the impound saying they towed this car that belonged to me and to pay up. I was in trouble for a bit because I had a bill of sale but apparently lost it during a move or something.

Obviously I could get in touch with the buyer and try to get another copy, but think about it - if he was the one who ditched the car, then he probably knows what's up, and would be reluctant to hand it over?

Eventually I got it resolved through some sorta-shady tactics that I'm not proud of, but yeah you don't want to go through that.

trevh
06-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Any photo related tickets will be your responsibility to pay until you get that vehicle off your registration.:banghead:

Sorath
06-01-2009, 11:53 PM
why would he be getting any tickets? if he doesnt have his plate on it? worse case scenario just report it stolen, the bugger is bound to get back to u

BigMass
06-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by trevh
Any photo related tickets will be your responsibility to pay until you get that vehicle off your registration.:banghead:

i doubt it, he doesn't have my plates

calepeters
06-02-2009, 12:13 AM
if its ditched and goes to impound, you dont HAVE to take it out, but he wont be able to either without a bill of sale, if it sits there long enough, it will likely go to a police auction.

omfgcurtis
06-02-2009, 02:17 AM
this actually recently happened to a buddy of mine, he sold his jeep cherokee 2 years ago and recently got a phone call from the city that his jeep was abandoned and now in the impound. of course he paid the $250 to get it out and is trying to resell it..

we always thought that dealership he traded it into was shady..:rofl:

prae
06-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by omfgcurtis
of course he paid the $250 to get it out and is trying to resell it..

Of course. Well that is sure to be a fucking gong show. Let us know how that one turns out will ya?

Electrik
06-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Wow they let me cancel mine without bill of sale. :nut:

omfgcurtis
06-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by prae

Of course. Well that is sure to be a fucking gong show. Let us know how that one turns out will ya?

i guess it turned out pretty good, originally traded it in valued at $2300, and just sold it for $1000 after getting it back for $250 :thumbsup:

Joe-G
06-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by omfgcurtis

i guess it turned out pretty good, originally traded it in valued at $2300, and just sold it for $1000 after getting it back for $250 :thumbsup:

LOL, what a way to make money..

It is shady, but i guess you could make another bill of sale?
Although i don't know what the repercussions will be if they ever find out.

dannie
06-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Going into the registry to cancel, will only cancel the plate that he had attached to it. It will not take the vehicle out of the OPs name. So, as long as the OP has the plate.... cancelling it wont do anything.

If you dont have the bill of sale, you are on the hook for the vehicle if anything happens to it.

That being said, the most common thing that happens, is that the vehicle gets impounded. If it gets impounded and you dont have the bill of sale, you can sign a stat dec at the registry stating when you sold it, to who, how much etc. That will normally work to get rid of the charges at the impound.

Pahnda
06-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I had a problem with this before... I was out of Canada on internship and my parents sold my car to my cousin without a bill of sale. My cousin in turn sold it to a pothead friend of his who ditched it in a field. The police, checking the registration, noticed I was the last registered and were hounding me for the money to tow it and have it impounded.

Luckily my parents got a bill of sale but apparently they didn't bother paying the $10 fee to cancel the registration.

Long story short, in the future ALWAYS get a bill of sale and ALWAYS cancel your registration if you're selling it to someone sketchy or that you just don't know.