PDA

View Full Version : Garage Development - Suggestions

ExtraSlow
06-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Moved into a new house in April (thanks Jordan), and I think I'll be developing the garage this summer. Currently it's just studs. I'll be adding a few outlets, probably some high powered lights, insulation, and some sheeting.
For the Sheeting, it's been suggested to me to use OSB instead of drywall for it's impact resistance, and then fact that I'll be able to hang things anywhere. Are there any downsides to this? Don't plan on taping the seams or anything, and I don't need a smooth surface. I will be panting it.

I'm a cheapskate, so cost cutting ideas are welcome.

FiveFreshFish
06-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Install a vapor barrier after insulating and make sure it's taped properly before you put up the OSB.

Go with fluorescent lighting to save on your power bill. Use outdoor ballasts.

Your plan sounds pretty good so far.

rockshoxbiker
06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
when I did mine, I added 3 outlets to each side so that I would not have to trip over an extension cord as often. I also used OSB and had steel plates on the studs to proctect my wiring before sealing up the walls

thetransporter
06-02-2009, 11:02 AM
make a garage out of concrete or even re-enforced conrete. keep warm in winter and cool in summer. also ads value to your home..

ExtraSlow
06-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by thetransporter
make a garage out of concrete or even re-enforced conrete. keep warm in winter and cool in summer. also ads value to your home..
Good suggestion if this was a new build. However, the garage is built, and I'm only finishing the interior.

masoncgy
06-02-2009, 11:53 AM
As suggested, add in a few extra outlets for the extra convenience... little things like that make a big difference, especially if you want to sell one day...

Insulate, seal with poly and put up the OSB... done deal!

Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup:

quazimoto
06-02-2009, 12:16 PM
If the garage is attached you are now REQUIRED by code to insulate, vapor barrier and use gypsum board and not OSB. The wonderful new codes they just put in are absolutely shitty.

kenny
06-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by quazimoto
If the garage is attached you are now REQUIRED by code to insulate, vapor barrier and use gypsum board and not OSB. The wonderful new codes they just put in are absolutely shitty.

New code is only for new construction, since his garage is already built he can still put up OSB to finish it.

New homes that are being built now with attached garages must be finished with gypsum board and also have smoke detectors that are networked with the other smoke detectors in the house.

ExtraSlow
06-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Good tip. This is a detached garage.

ExtraSlow
06-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Am I supposed to get a permit for this stuff? Since I'm altering the electrical, probably, I'd guess.

dezinr
06-04-2009, 04:31 PM
You will need to pull an electrical permit if you are altering any of the electrical. I believe you will need a BP if you plan on adding any new partitions, but since this is an accesory building and is not attached it may be ok without one.

It is not a bad idea to put up drywall and then put OSB on areas where you want to mount things. A single layer of drywall will give you a 45min fire rating....and Densarmour makes a moisture and mold resistant drywall that is good for this type of application.

Just my .02.

dezinr
06-04-2009, 04:33 PM

I don't see how it is shitty if it protects the occupents of the home and gives a 45min rating in the case of a fire in the garage. I think the problem isn't the codes, its the proximity that developers are allowed to build houses adjacent to one another and the inadequate level of finish materials used on new homes.

quazimoto
06-04-2009, 05:46 PM
It doesn't save lives, it does reduce the total cost to insurance companies through fires. In most cases the first thing to tell us there is a fire is the smoke detector, smoke or the smell of something burning.

If this was truly meant to help save people they would just network smoke detectors and have one in the garage which would tell people instantly there was a fire in the house and to get out. As it is you aren't required to network or put any smoke detector in the garage, wierd you'd think.

The exterior garage has to be more than 2M away in proximity from other adjacent buildings. And yes you are right the close proximity of homes is an issue. Our neighbours house is exactly 22 feet from our home. It puzzles me lol.

tsi_neal
06-04-2009, 09:28 PM
To the OP put electrical outlets in the ceiling, get a retractable cord and mount it somewhat front & central. If you do ANY work on your vehicles you will love this.

Pull any motors? reenforce the roof joists and put a hook for a chain hoist. This may not be up to code, make sure you put some thought into it as to not cause damage later...

Originally posted by kenny

...New homes that are being built now with attached garages must be finished with gypsum board and also have smoke detectors that are networked with the other smoke detectors in the house.

... If this was truly meant to help save people they would just network smoke detectors and have one in the garage which would tell people instantly there was a fire in the house and to get out. As it is you aren't required to network or put any smoke detector in the garage, wierd you'd think.

^ who is right?

Gspotracer
06-05-2009, 11:15 AM
^ who is right? [/B][/QUOTE]

There is no requirement for smoke detectors in a garage, I know there was talks of it but issues with exhaust and other activities in a garage would be setting them off all the time. I believe the next option under discussion is adding a heat sensor in the garage rather than a smoke detector.

kenny
06-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Gspotracer
There is no requirement for smoke detectors in a garage, I know there was talks of it but issues with exhaust and other activities in a garage would be setting them off all the time. I believe the next option under discussion is adding a heat sensor in the garage rather than a smoke detector.

Alberta ruled out using heat detectors as they wouldn't survive the winter.

I couldn't find any official docs during my brief search, but many news articles that were reporting about the amendments to the Alberta Fire/Building Code mentioned the new requirement for smoke/fire detectors in attached garages for any new construction after May 3, 2009:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2009/03/12/edm-code-changes.html

Gspotracer
06-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Alberta ruled out using heat detectors as they wouldn't survive the winter.

I couldn't find any official docs during my brief search, but many news articles that were reporting about the amendments to the Alberta Fire/Building Code mentioned the new requirement for smoke/fire detectors in attached garages for any new construction after May 3, 2009:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2009/03/12/edm-code-changes.html

You are right about the problems with the heat detectors performing properly in Albertas climate, another part of the problem is that there are no set standards yet for these heat detector to be designed to.

At this point there are no requirements for smoke or heat detectors in garages.

barmanjay
06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Gspotracer

You are right about the problems with the heat detectors performing properly in Albertas climate, another part of the problem is that there are no set standards yet for these heat detector to be designed to.

At this point there are no requirements for smoke or heat detectors in garages.

you seem very knowledgeable, do you work for the city or know someone dealing with building codes?

You would be an excellent resource for everyone in this section and the home and garden section

Gspotracer
06-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay

you seem very knowledgeable, do you work for the city or know someone dealing with building codes?

You would be an excellent resource for everyone in this section and the home and garden section

Yes I am A Safety Codes Officer/Building Inspector, I deal with questions like this all day.

TKRIS
06-05-2009, 12:58 PM
OSB works great in a garage. Not only is it more versatile, it's significantly cheaper as well.
Check how large your service is, and put as many receptacles as you can in there. Pretty easy and cheap to get a couple breakers and put some more outlets in, presuming you've got the capacity, and you'll never regret having too many receptacles. Last garage I built, I put (13) 120v outlets and (2) 240v outlets in.
Find an electrician to befriend. They're constantly replacing lights, and ever electrician I've ever met has had access to more spare fluorescent lights than they know what to do with. Once again, you won't ever think "Man, I just have too much light in here". Keep an eye out on kijiji and the like for ballasts too. They can get pricey to buy a bunch of them, but I've always been able to find someone with a bunch of them kicking around that they've just given me.

I have (3) 2'x4' and (3) 1'x4' lights in my current 22x22 garage, and with 11' ceilings, it's not overkill at all. I might actually replace the small ones to get a few more tubes up there.
I also ran a split receptacle out there when I was doing some other electrical in the house, so I've got 3 dedicated 120v/15amp circuits and a dedicated 240v/30amp circuit.

Don't have to spend a bunch of money, but a couple hundred bucks and some thriftiness and planning can make a huge difference.

ExtraSlow
06-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know where they sell those "quick reference guides" to the Building and Electrical codes?

AndyL
06-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Princess auto by the cash register...

nusneak
06-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Put in skylights, it is so nice when you go into a garage and not have to touch a light.

barmanjay
06-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by nusneak
Put in skylights, it is so nice when you go into a garage and not have to touch a light. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: