PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good Dodge Mechanic

tasamy
06-02-2009, 10:35 AM
My Dodge Caravan 2002 shows oil leakage warning. It is momentarily and then goes away while driving. Engine oil leakage warning appears when I stop in a light signal pressing the brake or while driving and then pressing the brakes hard. It disappears while driving. I went to Canadian Tire and they advised to replace the oil filter. I changed it then I got the sign again after a week. I went to them again. They advised there is no leakage around the replaced filter and it is good so the leakage from another part and they want me to shampoo the engine and dye it before they can inspect the leakage and they tell it may be leaking from several places one of them was the oil filter. They are asking for another $150 to shampoo and dye and find the second reason. I am not sure why they proposed first to change the oil filter as a solution and then they are telling me the filter is clean and it is another place. I think they just want to take more money and will not do any thing to solve the problem not sure. I want to move to a good mechanic who has experience with Dodge Caravan. Can you please advise?

Mibz
06-02-2009, 10:37 AM
2 cans of brake cleaner + a trip to the car wash and you've done your own shampoo.

narou
06-02-2009, 10:38 AM
1: Why would you go to Canadian Tire to get your vehicle serviced?

2: Why would you buy a Dodge Caravan and want to keep it?

HHURICANE1
06-02-2009, 11:23 AM
OK, Canadian Tire are either giving you a line of BS or really are that incompetent. The is no "oil leakage warning". What you are seeing is low oil pressure light. Take it to a real shop and find out why it is coming on. It could be the pressure sender, it could be the engine is about to grenade itself. Or a few other things.

2EFNFAST
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
OK, Canadian Tire are either giving you a line of BS or really are that incompetent. The is no "oil leakage warning". What you are seeing is low oil pressure light. Take it to a real shop and find out why it is coming on. It could be the pressure sender, it could be the engine is about to grenade itself. Or a few other things.

Yea, those would be my guesses as well - maybe there's something broken off that's stuck in the pickup area blocking flow, since it only comes on when the vehicle is coming to a stop?

Tomaz
06-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Those symptoms sound really familiar.

I had massive oil leaks in an older car, and what the light was telling me was that my oil was so low, every time I braked or took a sharp turn, the oil sloshed in the pan and was not being sucked up.

First step would be to check your oil level.

Then go to a different mechanic to look for leaks/blockages.