PDA

View Full Version : Yet another ... what car next thread

pinoyhero
06-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Hey guys, finally sold the M3. Was a fun car but need 4 doors now.

I have a budget but am more after overall value than a dollar amount. Here's the long list of what's on the radar right now. I've also got a 2010 RX350 to compliment. This will be my daily driver year round. The car has to be auto. Can go new or used.

335i
335d
M3 sedan
IS-F
IS350
c63
FX35
New body A4

Anything else you'd consider or scratch from the list? I know the FX doesn't really fit but i really liked it when we test drove and bought the RX350.

I will not get an older model car that is going to be updated within the next year or two (E class Mercs, A6s). Also I'm not going to mod the hell out of the car but with some left over money I will drop some change for a set of rims etc.

Finally if any one knows of an upcoming sale on any of these that isn't posted yet let me know. I'm not in a huge hurry but i have cash in hand.

Thanks for all your opinions.

wardpr68
06-02-2009, 04:39 PM
335d!

has enough torque to shred tires and the handling and fit and finish of the car is among the best.

buh_buh
06-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Where's the old Maxboost?

weird choice in list. Some of those cars aren't even close in class to others.
Out of that list, I'd go with the C63 or IS-F.

JTC180
06-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by wardpr68
335d!

has enough torque to shred tires and the handling and fit and finish of the car is among the best.

+1

shadowz
06-02-2009, 04:48 PM
ISF, Lexus of Calgary has a used blue one on their lot right now low km with Technology package

pinoyhero
06-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

Yeah I know but like I said Im' not after the most car I can afford more the best for the buck.

Here's what attracts me to each ...

335i - Top choice for a while, love the perf. and potential to "black" it out. Also can buy them used which will save me some bucks.
335d - Like the fuel economy win and her the torque is insane (almost too much), issue is I'll have to buy new of course.
M3 sedan - Wouldn't go new but heard last year they were blowing out '08s. If I could find that sort of deal somewhere I'd be all over it.
IS-F - Never driven one but love Lexus service, quality and reliability.
IS350 - See above and I get a ton of money. Would probably mod it a bit (read: wheels, but haven't found any that I'm in love with that really fit the car to black it out)
c63 - Hear the perf is insane but again, soooo pricey.
FX35 - Responsible guy in me is saying to go with this. I really liked it but not sure if I want 2 SUVs and for the money I could probably have the 335d.
New body A4 - Outside choice, cheap new and have some wicked black-out possibilities.

ZorroAMG
06-02-2009, 05:12 PM
C63

/thread.

pinoyhero
06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by shadowz
ISF, Lexus of Calgary has a used blue one on their lot right now low km with Technology package

You don't say ... I'll look it up, know the asking price?

pinoyhero
06-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
C63

/thread.

Know if they are willing to deal on price or am I paying sticker? I'm assuming finding one used is impossible.

Aleks
06-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

Know if they are willing to deal on price or am I paying sticker? I'm assuming finding one used is impossible.

From what I hear from a guy who has one on order it's full sticker on that car.

Out of your list I'd pick: 335i + Dinan reflash = 335d tq and more fun. Buy it new add Msport pack and they have free automatic promo now as well as low lease/finance rate. Or wait for the 2010s and snag a leftover 09.

shadowz
06-02-2009, 05:37 PM

You don't say ... I'll look it up, know the asking price?

Last time I looked I believe it was 63k with 8900km

pinoyhero
06-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

From what I hear from a guy who has one on order it's full sticker on that car.

Out of your list I'd pick: 335i + Dinan reflash = 335d tq and more fun. Buy it new add Msport pack and they have free automatic promo now as well as low lease/finance rate. Or wait for the 2010s and snag a leftover 09.

Yeah might do that, not sure how long I want to wait though. Not sure if i'd reflash or not.

pinoyhero
06-02-2009, 06:34 PM

Last time I looked I believe it was 63k with 8900km

Hmm, seems high, they are like $65,000 new ... Redlyne?

max_boost
06-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

Right here. Going to post this question in the Madante's question thread. For a guy who has the answers to most questions, he can't even decide what car he wants. But you are OG and I am just a Bully without the banstick so I'll just chill out and help you out. :devil:

Simply put, if you want a low cost maintenance car, get a BMW because it covers 4 years, 80,000kms. I was just at a BMW meet and was drooling over all of them, 335's, M3's, etc. AWD/RWD/Turbo/NA, they all have their pro's and con's so you decide for yourself since this isn't your first year of driving.

C63? $1000 off and that's a deal ok buddy. It's Mercedes, there are no deals. You want a deal, go to BMW. Maintenace bills blow. Service staff blows. First service on my SLK was $300 and all I got out of it was an oil change. Second service is coming up and the dealer basically said at least $600, whatever that means. My buddy just bought an 06 Red SLK55 and got an oil and all the fluids changed plus some other shit and he paid $2K. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt but that seems high. Who the hell wants to pay $2K for service? This isn't a Ferrari?

IS-F. Again, $1000 off is your deal but Lexus offers amazing service (so everyone tells me). I'm presuming maintenance would be cheaper than Benz but I don't know for sure.

Redlyne_mr2
06-02-2009, 06:49 PM

Hmm, seems high, they are like $65,000 new ... Redlyne?
The car is a tech package so fully loaded, just over $72000 new. Our preowned department just reduced the price to $61K and that includes an extra set of wheels with winter tires. :)

As for maintenance on the ISF, it's the same as your RX JC. $100 or so for an oil change, $300 for oil change and diff fluid flush. Only higher costs involved with the ISF is a brake job and tires when the time comes.

RZRSHARP_SVX
06-02-2009, 06:54 PM
yeah that ultra sonic blue looks good. a little bit lower price than new. besides how many of them do you see on the road.

they are a nice fun car to drive. in a strait line and in the corners.

max_boost
06-02-2009, 06:55 PM
BTW, with prime at 2.25%, any car you buy, just throw it on the LOC. Honestly I prefer to lease though, drive it hard and give it back, someone hits you, don't have to worry about depreciation/resale you know? And with BMW, free maintenance and AFAIK, they are the only ones with low lease rates and high residuals. That's why everyone drives a BMW right? ;)

pinoyhero
06-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Hmm never thought of a lease but maybe that's the way to go, thanks Max. I've never leased before seemed like a rip off but maybe ill reconsider.

Redlyne_mr2
06-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
BTW, with prime at 2.25%, any car you buy, just throw it on the LOC. Honestly I prefer to lease though, drive it hard and give it back, someone hits you, don't have to worry about depreciation/resale you know? And with BMW, free maintenance and AFAIK, they are the only ones with low lease rates and high residuals. That's why everyone drives a BMW right? ;)
I think they've started to drop their residuals now because they don't want the vehicles back. I priced out an x5 the other day and the residual was quite low.

Aleks
06-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Hmm never thought of a lease but maybe that's the way to go, thanks Max. I've never leased before seemed like a rip off but maybe ill reconsider.

If you really sit down and work the numbers a lease is not that different than financing. You lose about the same amount of $ on each.

4doorj
06-02-2009, 08:16 PM
:werd:

pinoyhero
06-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I think they've started to up their residuals now because they don't want the vehicles back. I priced out an x5 the other day and the residual was quite low.

yeah just playin around on their site, you're right the resids are kinda low, $21K on a 335i after 4 years ...

pinoyhero
06-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Any other cars not on my list you guys think I should be testing out / considering?

4doorj
06-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Do you only want luxury???
What about EVO MR?

pinoyhero
06-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
Do you only want luxury???
What about EVO MR?

Has to be auto just in case wifey has to drive it.

4doorj
06-02-2009, 09:15 PM
EVO MR is auto

pinoyhero
06-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Hmm, I'll take a look but probably not ... anyone know anything about the new TL?

4doorj
06-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Hmm, I'll take a look but probably not ... anyone know anything about the new TL?
Man, from your list and cars in the price range it would be soooo hard to choose. I love the 335, ISF, M3, A4.
You should just go drive them all!
I would recommend leasing like maxboost said because it seems like you go through cars alot.

bspot
06-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Audi is the only manufacturer that still has their head up their ass with their pricing. Everyone else corrected a bit. New Audis are a rip off and an A4 would be so disappointing compared to those cars.

335d is a pretty compelling choice. It would be lots of fun around the city. Certainly not the same performance as a 335i, but I'm guessing much better operating costs.

C63 if you can do it is amazing. I love those cars. Great looking, fast as hell. Better looking than everything else on the list. If the B8 S4 is out some time soon, it might be close but I think it's a ways off still. Plus it will be WAY slower than several of these.

max_boost
06-02-2009, 09:31 PM
REmember this, it's a lot easier to unload a car via lease takeover than it is to sell it outright. Just make sure you get the right deal, low lease rate, high residual, optioned out, $$$ off msrp, etc.

I haven't been on BMW's site for awhile, time to go crunch some numbers. Last check, Mitsu had a 12% lease rate for the EVo's, IS-F at 10%, C63 at 8% hehe

BMW's the only one with consistently <5% lease rates.

pinoyhero
06-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

Man, from your list and cars in the price range it would be soooo hard to choose. I love the 335, ISF, M3, A4.
You should just go drive them all!
I would recommend leasing like maxboost said because it seems like you go through cars alot.

Yeah I've had a few ... if I go new I'll see about leasing for sure, but I haven't held on to a car for more than 2 years so a 3 year lease might be too long, haha.

I'll start driving em this weekend and hopefully make my choice. I'll keep you all updated.

Hakkola
06-02-2009, 09:38 PM

Has to be auto just in case wifey has to drive it.

If you want an auto then MB > All. C63 no doubt if it's in your price range.

I think someone told me that the 335 auto is different from my 328, but I doubt it's as good as an MB auto. My 328i auto tranny blows.

eb0i
06-02-2009, 10:00 PM
C63 hands down.

Redlyne_mr2
06-02-2009, 10:09 PM
REmember this, it's a lot easier to unload a car via lease takeover than it is to sell it outright. Just make sure you get the right deal, low lease rate, high residual, optioned out, $$$ off msrp, etc.

I haven't been on BMW's site for awhile, time to go crunch some numbers. Last check, Mitsu had a 12% lease rate for the EVo's, IS-F at 10%, C63 at 8% hehe

BMW's the only one with consistently &lt;5% lease rates.
ahem the ISF rate is 4.9% on 09s. :D

you&me
06-02-2009, 10:19 PM

BMW's the only one with consistently &lt;5% lease rates.

+1

Easier to get out of mid-term either via take over or sale. If you're concerned about low residuals, you can always see what the market is when the lease is up. If the residual really is low, you can always buy it out to keep or sell privately to possibly re-coup some expenses (this works especially well if the car is leased in a company name - not only are they tax advantages, but you don't have to eat the GST necessarily on the sale). If not, you still have the convenience of giving it back...

Having just got my car out of service, I have to say the no cost maintenance is great! I know some have complained in the past about BMW's service, but I've never had a problem and have heard less bitching lately... My car was in 2 days after I called and done later that day, I got a loaner, my car was washed in and out and they fixed a few little things that they really could've charged for. The two local MB dealers have the worst service of any higher end brand I've ever experienced.

benyl
06-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Wait for 2010. The residuals will go back up. Many 2010 models are starting production this month.

As for the choice, look at what I drive <---

I am waiting for an August build and thus won't see the car until October November.

There are a few 2009s that have / will come into Lonestar and Hyatt this month.

2EFNFAST
06-03-2009, 01:53 AM

C63? $1000 off and that's a deal ok buddy. It's Mercedes, there are no deals. You want a deal, go to BMW. Maintenace bills blow. Service staff blows. First service on my SLK was $300 and all I got out of it was an oil change. Second service is coming up and the dealer basically said at least $600, whatever that means. My buddy just bought an 06 Red SLK55 and got an oil and all the fluids changed plus some other shit and he paid $2K. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt but that seems high. Who the hell wants to pay $2K for service? This isn't a Ferrari?

Uhhh, why not change your own oil on it then? How hard can it be? :confused:

colinxx235
06-03-2009, 02:18 AM
would a used RS4 be out of the question? maybe you can find one with very low kms?

Aleks
06-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

If you want an auto then MB &gt; All. C63 no doubt if it's in your price range.

I think someone told me that the 335 auto is different from my 328, but I doubt it's as good as an MB auto. My 328i auto tranny blows.

335i auto is different than 325/328 ones. And 335 blows the doors off a C350 it terms of performance with or without the auto. If we are comparing M3/C63/ISF once again all those autos are pretty impressive.

you&me
06-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
would a used RS4 be out of the question? maybe you can find one with very low kms?

Awesome car, but he said it has to be auto...

pinoyhero
06-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by bspot
Audi is the only manufacturer that still has their head up their ass with their pricing. Everyone else corrected a bit. New Audis are a rip off and an A4 would be so disappointing compared to those cars.

335d is a pretty compelling choice. It would be lots of fun around the city. Certainly not the same performance as a 335i, but I'm guessing much better operating costs.

C63 if you can do it is amazing. I love those cars. Great looking, fast as hell. Better looking than everything else on the list. If the B8 S4 is out some time soon, it might be close but I think it's a ways off still. Plus it will be WAY slower than several of these.

Yeah I think you're right on the A4, for what you get seems overpriced.

max_boost
06-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Wait for 2010. The residuals will go back up. Many 2010 models are starting production this month.

As for the choice, look at what I drive &lt;---

I am waiting for an August build and thus won't see the car until October November.

There are a few 2009s that have / will come into Lonestar and Hyatt this month.

Higher residual and the lease rate will go back up? Right now it's 3.9% up to 48 months which is pretty good.

What's new for 2010 anyway?

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Uhhh, why not change your own oil on it then? How hard can it be? :confused:

Oh well I'm sure it included a round of inspections for that price. Just saying, higher end cars, better leave them at the dealer and pay up instead of messing around with it. For my Subaru, it can go straight to any oil change facility.

pinoyhero
06-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys. I'm intrgiued by the lease option. I like the idea of either buying the car outright if the res is low and recouping some costs or just handing back the keys.

My HELOC is far below lease rates so what I'd probably look at doing is just paying for the whole lease at once. Am I mistaken or does the following example make sense:

Car costs $60,000 all in, resid is $29,000. I make a one time payment for lease of $31,000. OR are there some other fees etc that dont allow this to happen so easily?

max_boost
06-03-2009, 09:49 AM
I wonder if they would let you prepay the lease? I'm 99.99% sure you have to make the interest payments as well. $31,000+interest accrued over 4 years. You also have to factor in that HELOC rates are going to go up, well maybe not in the next year but after that, definitely. So 3.9% isn't that bad for 4 years fixed lease.

benyl
06-03-2009, 09:52 AM
You can do a one time payment, but you still pay interest for term on the residual.

So it would be more like $35,000 payment and $29,000 residual for a $60K car.

335i coupe should have a facelift for 2010. Some rumours of a ZHP type packages, but nothing confirmed (that I have seen).

2010 C class is getting some small updates and new options (like a back up camera).

I like the 335d and am tempted to take it for a test drive. I am thinking of getting a 335d to replace the 335i when the time comes.

Pahnda
06-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Have you tested all the cars you're comparing? Take a day off work one Friday and test them all (or as many as you can) back to back on the Friday and Saturday. I'm unsure how the Tiptronic is in the A4 but I would say that most of the cars listed will beat the A4 hands down, with exception to the IS350. The 'feel' may be a bit similar between them, but you'll get way more top end clout with the 350.

If performance isn't a huge issue (seems like you're interested in it by the cars you listed) then the A4 is a strong contender.

Also keep in mind the cars you listed are almost all RWD, while the A4 is only AWD or FWD, so that alone may make you not want to check it out.

Aleks
06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Did Lexus prices go up June 1st?

pinoyhero
06-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Not that I know of but if so I got my 2010 rx just in time ...

you&me
06-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys. I'm intrgiued by the lease option. I like the idea of either buying the car outright if the res is low and recouping some costs or just handing back the keys.

My HELOC is far below lease rates so what I'd probably look at doing is just paying for the whole lease at once. Am I mistaken or does the following example make sense:

Car costs $60,000 all in, resid is $29,000. I make a one time payment for lease of $31,000. OR are there some other fees etc that dont allow this to happen so easily?

You have to consider that you are not only paying interest on the lease payments (they will charge you, even if you pay up front) but you're also paying interest on the HELOC... Interest on interest? Not such a great deal then...

cityhunter2501
06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
pinoy, didnt you have an is350 at one point?
i recall yo selling one iirc

but from that list I would test drive the IS-F, c63

Aleks
06-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by benyl
You can do a one time payment, but you still pay interest for term on the residual.

So it would be more like $35,000 payment and $29,000 residual for a $60K car.

335i coupe should have a facelift for 2010. Some rumours of a ZHP type packages, but nothing confirmed (that I have seen).

2010 C class is getting some small updates and new options (like a back up camera).

I like the 335d and am tempted to take it for a test drive. I am thinking of getting a 335d to replace the 335i when the time comes.

335d needs exhaust fluid to keep running, that's pimp.

bspot
06-03-2009, 01:11 PM
^ Is it like Bluetec?

Aleks
06-03-2009, 01:14 PM
^ Is it like Bluetec?

I think it's AdBlue or something you have to add into the bumper in the back haha. If you ignore the warnings about it the car won't start eventually.

benyl
06-03-2009, 01:18 PM
^ Is it like Bluetec?

Yes, same deal. Urea injection.

And no, you can't just piss in the tank... lol

buh_buh
06-03-2009, 01:24 PM
what? So headlight fluid might actually exist?

pinoyhero
06-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by you&amp;me

You have to consider that you are not only paying interest on the lease payments (they will charge you, even if you pay up front) but you're also paying interest on the HELOC... Interest on interest? Not such a great deal then...

Thanks, gotcha. Yeah int on the resid is what I was missing but i dont think you pay for int on the leased portion if you pay up front.

pinoyhero
06-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
pinoy, didnt you have an is350 at one point?
i recall yo selling one iirc

but from that list I would test drive the IS-F, c63

Nope, the list is

'88 Micra
'86 Somerset
'99 323i
'02 TL-S
'00 S2000
'03 350z
'04 G35C
'04 M3 Coupe

Wifey had '01 IS300 then '01 X5 now '10 RX350

max_boost
06-03-2009, 06:16 PM

but i dont think you pay for int on the leased portion if you pay up front. Yes you do.

pinoyhero
06-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Chit, well then if rates are good I'm game, but if 5 or more, fook dat

911fever
06-03-2009, 08:28 PM
IS-F out of that list, C63 if you can afford it.

pinoyhero
06-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Leaning pretty heavily towards a used 335i, any suggestions on where to find one other than beyond, kijiji and autotrader?

pinoyhero
06-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Another question ... a while back, pretty sure last year I recall BMW blowing out '08s to make room for '09s, anyone recall when that was .. maybe I'll wait a bit I would think the '10s are on their way and maybe there will be some good deals to be had ... I remember hearings m3s were going for $10K discount

benyl
06-06-2009, 09:38 AM
BMW did that in November and December and there were some E93 M3s left in March / April.

They cut back production and stock for 2009. It is doubtful that we will see deals like that again. Not saying that there won't be deal, just not $18K off an E93 like the 2008s.