PDA

View Full Version : Exhausts...

97'Scort
06-02-2009, 04:44 PM
The reason I'm asking all these questions is i have a bit of unexpected money coming my way, and I'd like to put a little towards the car, and the rest in the bank :) I need to satisfy the modding itch for another year :burnout: .

Right now the debate raging in my head goes something like this: wheels and tires are what I REALLY want, but it would blow my entire budget and more, but I can get an exhaust and a new piece of gear for my company and still be under budget. I'm leaning more towards the exhaust at this point.

I'm looking for comments on any of the following. I've done a considerable amount of research most of them, but I'm still not sold on one or another. What I'm really looking for: below $700, 100% stainless, even tips, ZERO or almost zero drone (I do a ton of highway driving), not too loud. Options:

1. Supersprint - looks good, sounds good, no drone, even tips, but not stainless. I have a feeling it'd rust through pretty quick.

2. Ireland Engineering - stainless, even tips, about as loud as the SS and little drone, however it has a potential flaw where the tips are 3"OD but only 1.4" ID. I have a feeling this wouldn't affect flow one bit, but others disagree.

3. Borla - lifetime warranty, stainless, a bit louder than the other two, but staggered tips.

4. Remus - higher price range, tips are MASSIVE but sound amazing. No idea of drone at speed though.

5. Stromung - About the same as the Borla, but can be found in even tips. No idea of drone either.

So if anyone knows about these or others, chime in. I've ruled out UUC and AA just because of cost, so leave them out. I've yet to call Tunerworks either to see what they have.

FiveFreshFish
06-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Option 6: OEM M3 exhaust. Can be had for less than a quarter of your budget. Good upgrade and the staggered factory tips look really nice. BTW I've got one to unload plus a whole bunch of E36 stuff I'll be selling in the next week or so.

Here's my Supersprint stainless. Only barely louder than stock. No drone.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/christina.lam/E36M3/CSL_rep_26.JPG

colt22
06-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I just got a dinan exhaust but have yet to put it on.. I will report back with my thoughts on it

97'Scort
06-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks colt, let me know.

Fish, where did you get that in stainless?! The only SS in stainless I can find is the race muffler, and it's LOUD. The standard one is painted steel...

FiveFreshFish
06-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Got it from Rob at Tunerworks.

Description on invoice: E36 M3 Cat-back dual 76 mm tips

Item # SS784406

scat19
06-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Have you looked into UUC?

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

97'Scort
06-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
I've ruled out UUC and AA just because of cost, so leave them out. I've yet to call Tunerworks either to see what they have.
^ Yup :) I'd love the UUC Corsa but I don't have the money.

Looks like Borla will be the one, if I can get my hands on an M3 diffuser.

DC328is
06-03-2009, 06:20 PM
lol the supersprint non stainless is not gonna rust through in 20 years at least.

97'Scort
06-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by DC328is
lol the supersprint non stainless is not gonna rust through in 20 years at least.

A couple of guys from Toronto (yes they use salt, but still) said that their SS's rusted out in about 7 years. I'd like a bit more mileage than that.

.civictyper.
06-03-2009, 09:16 PM
UUC system U is quite loud and drones in in low rpm's .. bought it and sold it, it was pricey too.

I have the supersprint sport right now on my vert... it is just a tad louder than stock but nice WOT sound. I would recommend the supersprint race if your going to go that route.. And believe me the exhaust will outlast your car.

colt22
06-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Just installed dinan exhaust. Nice and loud/throaty, awesome high rpm note. Minimal drone. Looks clean and subtle. I recommend!